Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

What are the front runners for 8-strings that won't cost a huge amount at the moment? I'm not interested in djent as much as simply playing extended range solo - ibanez irongear? I'm in the uk so no agile!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Southern Heel posted:

What are the front runners for 8-strings that won't cost a huge amount at the moment? I'm not interested in djent as much as simply playing extended range solo - ibanez irongear? I'm in the uk so no agile!

I'm not sure how easy they are to find in the uk but Schecter makes great cheap 8 strings. They're one of the few companies who put really good pickups in their cheaper guitars.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

unlawfulsoup posted:

Yeah, but is there anything to actually back those up?

Some of the 2015 models don't have "Made in USA" stamped on them.

jwh posted:

Out of curiosity, how do you feel about the neck joint on a 335?

They're fine. There are 330s with a 335 style neck joint. Even some 330s that have a 19th body joint. I think a 335 has a 21st fret joint.

Zuhzuhzombie!! fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Dec 25, 2014

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Kilometers Davis posted:

I'm not sure how easy they are to find in the uk but Schecter makes great cheap 8 strings. They're one of the few companies who put really good pickups in their cheaper guitars.

Since I'm not really looking for a modern tone, I guess passives would make the most sense? They certainly are available near me. As per my post in the classical thread I'm really torn as to engage with extended range electric or nylon classical for solo work - but if schecter are good, then I can test both simultaneously.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
so is my whammy supposed to have an LED on all the time, that seems like a pointless waste...i guess it tells you what setting you're on

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
question: I am about to copper tape the inside of my guitar but I have a spot on my pick guard that will not be covered wth tape (so a stupid symbol can be seen wth my lights underneath) if I was to leave that small spot open, would the faraday cage still work for blocking out the interference signals?

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Southern Heel posted:

Since I'm not really looking for a modern tone, I guess passives would make the most sense? They certainly are available near me. As per my post in the classical thread I'm really torn as to engage with extended range electric or nylon classical for solo work - but if schecter are good, then I can test both simultaneously.

Active pickups will give you a very hi-fi type of tone in clean applications which can be useful. I wouldn't dismiss them out of hand.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Yeah they've got a lot more applications than metallica and stuff. I prefer their clean sounds to their dirty sounds actually.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
I'm struggling with a proper first world problem: I think I've got too many guitars. It's not too bad, but I've got six electrics and one acoustic.

Lately I've been thinking that I should sell all but two (?) electrics and try to keep it simple. I definitely don't need that many guitars and it also means that most of them won't get played as often as they should.

This is what I've got: SG with P90s, Les Paul, 335, Tele, Strat and an old Ibanez (this one is definitely going). What should I keep if I decide to go through with this crazy idea? The guitar I play the most is the Strat, but I'd like some humbuckers as well. However, the SG, especially, I want to keep for sentimental reasons (and because it rules whenever I pick it up). The Les Paul has been halfway out the house before, but I have a feeling that I'd want a LP again before I die though....

What do you say? What's the solution to my obnoxious "problem"?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Don't sell guitars just because you think you have too many, you're just setting yourself up for regret. If you're not playing a few of them very often, consider those, and really do some good thinking. If you don't have a good reason, don't need the money, and need to ask a forum first, you probably don't really want to sell any.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Xabi posted:

I'm struggling with a proper first world problem: I think I've got too many guitars. It's not too bad, but I've got six electrics and one acoustic.

Lately I've been thinking that I should sell all but two (?) electrics and try to keep it simple. I definitely don't need that many guitars and it also means that most of them won't get played as often as they should.

This is what I've got: SG with P90s, Les Paul, 335, Tele, Strat and an old Ibanez (this one is definitely going). What should I keep if I decide to go through with this crazy idea? The guitar I play the most is the Strat, but I'd like some humbuckers as well. However, the SG, especially, I want to keep for sentimental reasons (and because it rules whenever I pick it up). The Les Paul has been halfway out the house before, but I have a feeling that I'd want a LP again before I die though....

I get the same way sometimes because I really don't like owning too much stuff. it comes and goes esp since I constantly want new stuff.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008

Xabi posted:

Keep em all. Or dump the Ibanez if it literally has sat in the case for over a year.

I do the same. This is how I lost my Eric Johnson strat and my LP P90 Pro, both of which I didn't have to get rid of, both of which I really really wish I still had.

I had a strat with active EMGs in it. Cleanest tone I ever had. Changing out the battery was a major hassle though so I sold the loaded pickguard. Almost mid to late 70s Jerry Garcia sounds came outta that rig.

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

It's in the garbage. Where it belongs.

Southern Heel posted:

I was under the impression that active pickups only go with Metallica too but once I went down to a store and played around with them without distortion they sounded insanely good. They were on a Schecter C-1 Hellraiser, pre-wired for coil splitting. Hell, I ended up carrying that Schecter home immediately, superbly crafted guitar with excellent features.

Speaking of excellent features the Jackson Dinky Pros with all the goodies in the world played like poo poo, I was shocked. I had drooled over the looks and specs for almost a year while saving up for a new guitar.

And what hell is up with the Pro Soloists? The price tag had four numbers and the loving thing is made in Indonesia?

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

Xabi posted:

Put one in a different tuning or something. I have the rockband 3 pro guitar and I never use it, but it seems like the midi capabilities might be fun to mess with in the future. I put it in open D and just mess with a slide and stuff on it and now it has a purpose.

Also, get some wall hangers for them if you don't have them already. Now they are 'art', too.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Xabi posted:

Depends on your definition of excess guitars but unless you have a real attachment to a guitar or it does something none of your other guitars will do it's probably dead weight. That doesn't means there's no point in keeping it around, owning guitars is cool, it's just a way of keeping track.

I have a humbucker jazzmaster as my workhorse, a single coil jazzmaster with flatwounds for jazz, a Jaguar for twangy stuff and a baritone for studio stuff and that covers everything I need for the most part in my paid work and most of what I play on the side.

The guy I work with pretty often owns one great telecaster and that's it, don't think he even has a backup that isn't borrowed off me and he's a full time pro. Found one he likes and that's all he needs.

The other guy I sometimes play with owns eight nearly identical dual-humbucker no-trem types and is planning on a ninth soon. He's an unemployed drummer.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Xabi posted:

I can sympathize, I recently hit my limit because the corner I store them in cannot hold anymore (6). I made a promise to myself (at least for now) where that has to be enough. I would be really leery of selling anything you may miss later though. I can only tell you, I constantly hear 'I had this guitar it was so wonderful and then I sold it' stories.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I've hit my guitar limit as well and have thought about getting rid of some of them just because I'd like the extra space and the cash would be nice but each has some sort of sentimental or practical use that I can't go through with it. It's rough.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I'm trying to sell some right now because I just don't use them.

Anyway if anyone's looking for a chorus pedal, I highly, HIGHLY, recommend trying out the Digitech Luxe because holy moly the detune effect on the Whammy is gorgeous http://digitech.com/en-US/products/luxe

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
Wow that thing is amazing! :okpos:

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Kinda surprised it took them so long to make a separate detune/chorus pedal. I used to have one of those whammy/wah pedals and used the sweepable detune more than anything else on it.

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat
Wow that is nice. I just listened to a ton of demos for the Warped Vinyl, too. I'm probably covered for warble, but both of those are great. I've used my ring thing to do tremolo via slight detune as well as chorus, but I can't ever get the LFO rate and mod depth exactly where I want it.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Went out and tried a bunch of electric guitars: Gibsons, fenders, single coil, humbuckers, combinations, solid body, semi-hollow, and electric guitars still sound like electric guitars to me.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

R.D. Mangles posted:

Went out and tried a bunch of electric guitars: Gibsons, fenders, single coil, humbuckers, combinations, solid body, semi-hollow, and electric guitars still sound like electric guitars to me.

No offense, but what did you want them to sound like?

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Allen Wren posted:

No offense, but what did you want them to sound like?

I'm having trouble telling the difference between different types of electric guitars.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
How long have you been playing the guitar? Not trying to be a prick here, but it can take some time to learn how to hear the differences. There's usually a pretty big difference between all of those categories (but not necessarily).

Xabi fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Dec 28, 2014

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Xabi posted:

How long have you been playing the guitar? Not trying to be a prick here, but it can take some time to learn how to hear the differences. There's usually a pretty big difference between all of those categories (but not necessarily).

A very long time, but have never owned or played an electric guitar.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

R.D. Mangles posted:

I'm having trouble telling the difference between different types of electric guitars.

A difference between something like a traditional Telecaster or probucker Les Paul is pretty big if you ask me. Enough so that my parents who are almost tone deaf can notice. Some of the differences are pretty subtle (mostly comfort or aesthetics) but I mean, really?

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.
To be fair, it depends on what you're playing through. Run half a dozen different setups through a crappy little practice amp or having everything pushed to 11 and there won't be nearly as much tone difference as running clean at something sane. An amp setup to produce a certain sound will be a lot harder to tell differences because so much of the amp will be in the final tone.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Yeah, I know in theory how different pickup arrangements and whether it's semi-hollow etc. are supposed to affect the sound and I've listened to some clips, but the array of choices with gear are a little overwhelming.

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention

R.D. Mangles posted:

Yeah, I know in theory how different pickup arrangements and whether it's semi-hollow etc. are supposed to affect the sound and I've listened to some clips, but the array of choices with gear are a little overwhelming.

Lucky day for you, I have the secret to the objectively best guitar tone:

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat
When I was first starting I couldn't really tell. Buy what feels nice in your hands.

Alternatively, play a tele bridge only and then an LP anything.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

TopherCStone posted:

Lucky day for you, I have the secret to the objectively best guitar tone:

Dammit I don't want a derail, and you submit a good contender, but really:

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
Active pickups, clean tone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YuuF93YJj8

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I've never cared for actives on guitar, bass is another story sometimes, but the EBMM Majesty has some of the best cleans and even dirty sounds I've ever heard. I wish I had an excuse to own one of those weird rear end guitars because I totally would. I've got a Bongo 5 but letting any more money go towards Sterling Ball pretty much makes me feel terrible.

Professor Science
Mar 8, 2006
diplodocus + mortarboard = party

Kilometers Davis posted:

I've never cared for actives on guitar, bass is another story sometimes, but the EBMM Majesty has some of the best cleans and even dirty sounds I've ever heard. I wish I had an excuse to own one of those weird rear end guitars because I totally would. I've got a Bongo 5 but letting any more money go towards Sterling Ball pretty much makes me feel terrible.
why do we hate sterling ball again, is it the whole music man vs leo fender disaster or is there something more recent

also, cause nobody else said it: that Alembic w/EMGs video is the most dad video on all of youtube.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Professor Science posted:

why do we hate sterling ball again, is it the whole music man vs leo fender disaster or is there something more recent

also, cause nobody else said it: that Alembic w/EMGs video is the most dad video on all of youtube.

He's just kind of a whiny rear end honestly. I don't remember the details exactly, but recently during the whole Majesty hype buildup he managed to have a few pictures saved in a public photobucket account "hacked" and leaked and went on to forums to yell at people about it. It's just really lame and the last kind of person I want leading a company I support. And don't get me wrong, their instruments are absolutely flawlessly made and QC'd out the rear end but we live in a semitransparent world and CEOs/PR/etc should realize this.

Here's the thread I was thinking about, my memory was wonky of it all:

http://www.rig-talk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=109123

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

Does anyone have any recommendations for a guitar set up in south east Michigan?

I lost the contact info/name of the last guy I went through.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The frets on almost all of my guitars are getting sharp little edges on the bottom of the board, is there a way to clean those up with having 0 tools and space to work on them? I'd rather not take all of them in to a shop to have a guy wave a file at them for a couple minutes and charge me a buttload of cash, because there's nothing wrong with the rest of the fret, just an annoyingly sharp little catch on the bottom side. Help me, thread, I've tried nothing and I'm all out of ideas!

Gilgameshback
May 18, 2010

pointlessone posted:

The frets on almost all of my guitars are getting sharp little edges on the bottom of the board, is there a way to clean those up with having 0 tools and space to work on them? I'd rather not take all of them in to a shop to have a guy wave a file at them for a couple minutes and charge me a buttload of cash, because there's nothing wrong with the rest of the fret, just an annoyingly sharp little catch on the bottom side. Help me, thread, I've tried nothing and I'm all out of ideas!

This could be a humidity issue. You could try fretboard oil (sometimes called lemon oil).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

Gilgameshback posted:

This could be a humidity issue. You could try fretboard oil (sometimes called lemon oil).

How often should you need to do that, and does it have any effects on maple fretboards? The tele isn't nearly as bad as the others, but I've heard you're not supposed to use oils on maple.