Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lime rind
Jul 10, 2014

Unperson_47 posted:

Since there's lots of Cyber Monday deals floating around, could anyone suggest a kinda sorta decent (translation: cheap) electronic keyboard that has PC connectivity for someone has never touched a keyboard but has always wanted to learn?

I've looked at Amazon but there are so many choices. I wish there were a Newegg-like Power Search where you can drill down through all the results by ticking features that you want.

E: Is something like this acceptable for a beginner?
I don't feel very qualified to answer what a good beginner piano is, but since no one else has commented, I'll give a few thoughts.

This should be fine if you want to see what it's like to play on keys, but you'll quickly want to upgrade if you choose to stick with it. I think the main fault with it is not having touch sensitivity. That means notes will always have the same loudness. You won't be able to play soft and loud sections unless you start adjusting the volume setting on the fly, and even then you'll never be able to do one hand quieter than the other.

Having 61 keys shouldn't be a big deal for a beginner. I'm sure there are a lot of beginner songs that work within that range. I think I've seen some keyboards with 70-some keys, and you might want to think about going with that instead.

The product description doesn't mention this, but I'm guessing the keys are non-weighted, spring action. It won't feel like a real piano at all, but again, for a complete beginner that shouldn't be a big deal. If you can, look for keyboards featuring keys that try mimicking real keys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984
I might buy this with my upcoming tax return: http://www.amazon.com/Casio-PX-850-Furniture-Style-Instructional-Headphones/dp/B0094KNP3Q/

(Standard model vs extras model = $40 for set of headphones, bench & cables).

Thoughts?

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

Bach has pieces in a huge range of difficulty levels. If you played for 13 years, even if you've forgotten most of it, there's still some bach for you!

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Cast_No_Shadow posted:

Bach has pieces in a huge range of difficulty levels. If you played for 13 years, even if you've forgotten most of it, there's still some bach for you!

You mean the stuff he wrote for his wife? I think my mother has a copy of that book, I'll ask her next time I see her.

Hiowf
Jun 28, 2013

We don't do .DOC in my cave.

The Joe Man posted:

I might buy this with my upcoming tax return: http://www.amazon.com/Casio-PX-850-Furniture-Style-Instructional-Headphones/dp/B0094KNP3Q/

(Standard model vs extras model = $40 for set of headphones, bench & cables).

Thoughts?

They announced a slight update, the PX-860, recently.

Hiowf
Jun 28, 2013

lime rind posted:

I think the main fault with it is not having touch sensitivity. That means notes will always have the same loudness. You won't be able to play soft and loud sections unless you start adjusting the volume setting on the fly, and even then you'll never be able to do one hand quieter than the other.

I'd upgrade to (at least) the Yamaha PSR E343 for this reason. 61 keys is enough for a beginner and for playing pop music from fake or easy piano books, but not having any control over the dynamics is going to kill a lot of the fun.

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
Any thoughts on the price for this package? I'm somewhat new, started taking lessons, and would like to make a decent initial purchase without spending a ton.

http://www.kraftmusic.com/casio-pri...n=cas-px150bkhe

edit: I'm just realizing that the "normal" price is heavily inflated just to hype the "sale" price, but it still seems like an okay deal for all of the accessories because the keyboard seems to go for the same price elsewhere.

i am the bird fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Dec 2, 2014

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
I managed to get a tuner to come in tomorrow on my day off. In the meantime I got a few of the dead keys on my piano working again. :woop:

I took a look inside with a nice and bright flashlight and didn't see anything obviously broken or missing but did notice that parts of the action for each dead key were misaligned. I also noticed that the notes for the dead keys would still sound if I pressed up on the jack and wippen assemblies with my finger rather than the keys and that seemed to reseat a few of them. I didn't take anything apart so I have some doubts as to the long-term reliability of the fixed keys, but so far about half of them haven't deadened again and the ones that did go dead again did so immediately. The ones that work now stay in alignment and the ones that don't won't stay aligned past one strike of the key, something I made sure the tuner was aware of when I talked to him on the phone. He scheduled me in as his last appointment for the day so he has ample time to go through everything but based upon what I've told him he doesn't think my piano will need any major repair work. :sun:

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I too played piano for many years when I was younger and I always had a teacher. Dropped piano though when moving away from home, no money, room or tolerant neighbors in my flat. A few days ago I finally realized digital pianos have come a long way and bought a Kawai vpc1 midi keyboard and k&m stand & bench. We'll see how digital pianos like pianoteq or ivory d work. At least they sounded very good in Youtube :v:

Hopefully I haven't forgotten too much, altough I guess I could nowdays afford some lessons every once in a while.

Edit: and to embrace this digital hubbub fully I guess I could use my spare 24" dell to display sheets and edit velocity curves, record etc. When did piano get so nerdy too :negative:

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Dec 16, 2014

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

I'm also an old child piano player that gave up when High School sports took over. Coming up on college graduation and I'd like to keep having homework so I'm looking to get back into the piano game. I'm thinking about a Korg Kronos X 88 key as a graduation present to myself. Anyone have opinions on it? I'm definitely going for a keyboard because I know I'm going to be moving around a bit within the next few years.

Elephunk
Dec 6, 2007

KidDynamite posted:

I'm also an old child piano player that gave up when High School sports took over. Coming up on college graduation and I'd like to keep having homework so I'm looking to get back into the piano game. I'm thinking about a Korg Kronos X 88 key as a graduation present to myself. Anyone have opinions on it? I'm definitely going for a keyboard because I know I'm going to be moving around a bit within the next few years.

I have been an acoustic-only snob for years and my casio Px-88 with a roland kc-550 is ridiculously awesome.

I have no specific recommendations but try whatever you want before you buy. Even if you're gonna order it online go to a store and try it.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY
How does everyone feel about the axiom that you only buy digital from companies that make acoustic (so like, Yamaha) and only buy acoustic from companies that don't make digital?

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.
Oh man, I tried to practice on my mom's piano on Christmas Eve, but the poor thing is so out of tune it's painful. I didn't realize how spoiled I've gotten with my digital piano that always sounds great with zero maintenance. I was so sad I couldn't afford acoustic when I bought it, too.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Pinky Artichoke posted:

Oh man, I tried to practice on my mom's piano on Christmas Eve, but the poor thing is so out of tune it's painful. I didn't realize how spoiled I've gotten with my digital piano that always sounds great with zero maintenance. I was so sad I couldn't afford acoustic when I bought it, too.

I felt the same way with my mom's piano for a while, even after she had it tuned. Every piano is slightly different, so if you go at it assuming it will sound like your digital it really messes you up. This is especially true with any kind of improvisation. It usually takes me a day before I start playing that piano as its own thing, then when i get home my digital seems like it's almost screaming exactly what each note is in it's purest form until I get used to it again :v:

Hiowf
Jun 28, 2013

baw posted:

How does everyone feel about the axiom that you only buy digital from companies that make acoustic (so like, Yamaha) and only buy acoustic from companies that don't make digital?

LOL

Joda
Apr 24, 2010

When I'm off, I just like to really let go and have fun, y'know?

Fun Shoe
Aren't Kawai and Yamaha some of the best uprights you can get?

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

Joda posted:

Aren't Kawai and Yamaha some of the best uprights you can get?

Yeah yamaha uprights are incredible.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005
Yeah, that makes no sense. They make acoustics so they know what they're doing and the digitals are good, which is why their acoustics suck. Huh?

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

baw posted:

where on earth did you hear this?

baw
Nov 5, 2008

Some weirdo on another message board and I think everyone else nodded sagely in response.

edit:

also i really am glad i bought digital after practicing for a while and realizing how grateful I am that my wife didn't have to hear any of it

baw fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Dec 27, 2014

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

baw posted:

I don't know too much about digital, but if you dismiss Yamaha outright and don't have a house full of piles of money, you're stupid.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
i picked up a px350 last night, and am fuckin loving it so far :v:

the one thing i will complain about is the key fulcrum. kinda sucks because I spent a good hour and a half playing the 3 pianos I was looking at(px350, dgx850, p105) and was p confident that this was the best touch for me but I think the dgx might've been a better choice. I have some pretty bad technique so I end up using the back area's of the keys often when I'm moving to/from the blacks. I'm sure this is just a thing that has more to do with muscle memory etc but can I somehow start avoiding this? I have been trying to make a conscious effort to stay closer to the end of the keys but as soon as I actually get sucked into the song i'm playing I stop and my hand is sore as gently caress v quickly.

Also anybody have some sweet gems that are pretty beginner-level? I've mostly avoided classical poo poo until super recently and can at least get through most parts of moonlight sonata 1 and mozart's minuet in g major :P, got plenty of ideas for what I want to add to the list once I'm ready to start a new one but you know, always down to play something amazing that I didn't know of(like metamorphosis 1, the philip glass piece someone in this thread recommended a while back)

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

baw posted:

Some weirdo on another message board and I think everyone else nodded sagely in response.

edit:

also i really am glad i bought digital after practicing for a while and realizing how grateful I am that my wife didn't have to hear any of it

Piano/classical music boards as a rule are pretty god drat terrible I've found. Guess that applies to any forums but I've noticed it really badly with classical music in particular.

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

megalodong posted:

Piano/classical music boards as a rule are pretty god drat terrible I've found. Guess that applies to any forums but I've noticed it really badly with classical music in particular.

agreed, the snobbery is insane and people are so try-hard about what music means to them. The reverence is bordering on creepy. Also the other day I saw a post by a guy who said if somebody even touches his piano he throws them out of the house. lol.

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

Ricky Bad Posts posted:

i picked up a px350 last night, and am fuckin loving it so far :v:

the one thing i will complain about is the key fulcrum. kinda sucks because I spent a good hour and a half playing the 3 pianos I was looking at(px350, dgx850, p105) and was p confident that this was the best touch for me but I think the dgx might've been a better choice. I have some pretty bad technique so I end up using the back area's of the keys often when I'm moving to/from the blacks. I'm sure this is just a thing that has more to do with muscle memory etc but can I somehow start avoiding this? I have been trying to make a conscious effort to stay closer to the end of the keys but as soon as I actually get sucked into the song i'm playing I stop and my hand is sore as gently caress v quickly.

Also anybody have some sweet gems that are pretty beginner-level? I've mostly avoided classical poo poo until super recently and can at least get through most parts of moonlight sonata 1 and mozart's minuet in g major :P, got plenty of ideas for what I want to add to the list once I'm ready to start a new one but you know, always down to play something amazing that I didn't know of(like metamorphosis 1, the philip glass piece someone in this thread recommended a while back)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCtWyoQTOYI

This is my very favourite easy piano piece.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
I bought a pretty cheap keyboard a year ago to try and learn how to play and since I've never played before I didn't want to spend too much money. But now I know that I want to keep on playing so I am planning to buy a better instrument with better sound. I am currently looking at Yamaha P-35 (http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-Series...rds=yamaha+p-35). It's gotten good reviews and seems like a good beginners digital piano with decent sound. Has anyone used one and if so, can recommend it?

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:

megalodong posted:

Well from experience good classical musicians are busy af most of the time and after rehearsing or performing all day you really don't want to sit at your computer posting on forums, so it seems like most people who frequent classical music forums are the ones who are not worth poo poo. I'd be angry and petty and a worse poster if I were not worth poo poo.

Joda
Apr 24, 2010

Fun Shoe
Word of advice if you ever want to get an acoustic in an apartment: Don't!

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
If you have a decently quiet apartment, you play during normal hours, and you don't get a monster, it's not a huge deal. I have a Baldwin spinet and my neighbors have been fine. The walls are nice and thick, though. Not long ago, I was chatting with my neighbor in the elevator, and it came up that she had a piano too -- I'd never known!

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

Hoshi posted:

Well from experience good classical musicians are busy af most of the time and after rehearsing or performing all day you really don't want to sit at your computer posting on forums, so it seems like most people who frequent classical music forums are the ones who are not worth poo poo. I'd be angry and petty and a worse poster if I were not worth poo poo.

this is exactly the kind of 'tude that makes those forums so unbearable!

baw
Nov 5, 2008

Joda posted:

Word of advice if you ever want to get an acoustic in an apartment: Don't!

My tutor has a baby grand in her apartment but she's on the top floor so maybe that helps. I've been toying with the idea of getting a baby grand in our flat (third floor) but I've come to the realisation that I'd still mostly play on the Arius.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

Ricky Bad Posts posted:

mozart's minuet in g major :P, got plenty of ideas for what I want to add to the list once I'm ready to start a new one but you know, always down to play something amazing that I didn't know of(like metamorphosis 1, the philip glass piece someone in this thread recommended a while back)

Metamorphosis is great, my tutor assigned it to me after I learned "Truman Sleep." Part 1 is very simple (and Part 5 is almost the exact same) but then things get kinda complex in between, but nothing insurmountable. You don't really have to tangle your fingers up or bounce around or anything and a lot of the stuff in Part 2 are great exercises. I can't speak for Part 3 because I'm only on the second page so far but it doesn't seem like it will take as long as Part 2 to learn (I learned Part 1 in about 30 minutes, Part 2 in about a month.) 4 is my favorite to listen to so I'm trying to power though Part 3 as quickly as possible. All of it is fun to play and you can also really change the feel of it by emphasizing certain notes or playing with dynamics. All around I'm very happy to be working my way through it, and would highly recommend it to other beginners.

I'd also recommend Yann Tiersen's "Comptine d'un autre été" because it sounds super cool and it's pretty easy to learn.

Also I'm guessing you meant Bach's Minuet, but fun fact: it was probably composed by a guy named Christian Petzold.

edit:

Star posted:

I bought a pretty cheap keyboard a year ago to try and learn how to play and since I've never played before I didn't want to spend too much money. But now I know that I want to keep on playing so I am planning to buy a better instrument with better sound. I am currently looking at Yamaha P-35 (http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-Series...rds=yamaha+p-35). It's gotten good reviews and seems like a good beginners digital piano with decent sound. Has anyone used one and if so, can recommend it?

I highly recommend the P-35. However, if you are really serious (and if you want to stay digital,) you will eventually want something in the Arius line so you should just take that step now if you can.

baw fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Dec 29, 2014

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

baw posted:

I highly recommend the P-35. However, if you are really serious (and if you want to stay digital,) you will eventually want something in the Arius line so you should just take that step now if you can.

Would the P-35 be a good buy as my first ever piano? It seems to be at a good price. I really want to learn to play, but I don't have the space for an upright, nor do I want to annoy my neighbours.

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
The experience I had with my P-95 is that it was a solid digital piano. However, after a year or so I realized I was looking for better action and a better sample. I play with people, though, so the actual sound might not factor into your decision. I ended up replacing it with a Kawai ES 100 and have been extremely pleased with its sound and performance for all of the voicings it offers. It sounds even better with a line in, which I found to be the opposite on my old piano. I don't know what differences there are between the 35 and 95 but just know you'll eventually get that itch to upgrade (which means you are progressing)! Speaking of digitals, I've started messing around more with the other voicings that I would normally reserve for my synth. I was surprised at just how much better they sounded with a line in, and this was VS. a expensive Roland keyboard amp that I assumed would really bring these out. I was doing a little improv the other night with the string voice and liked how the strings ended up sounding when I recorded to my PC.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

ulvir posted:

Would the P-35 be a good buy as my first ever piano? It seems to be at a good price. I really want to learn to play, but I don't have the space for an upright, nor do I want to annoy my neighbours.

My first piano was an Arius because I was making a serious commitment to playing piano. The P-35 was my expeditionary piano. Just like every other thing in music, if you are serious about it then you want to buy something quality from the start because you will eventually end up buying the quality product anyway. Might as well save yourself the money and get an Arius now if you really want to learn piano.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib

baw posted:

edit:

Well, it's too late anyhow but I really love it so far after playing around with it for an hour. I might upgrade later on but it'll be at least a year I think.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

baw posted:

My first piano was an Arius because I was making a serious commitment to playing piano. The P-35 was my expeditionary piano. Just like every other thing in music, if you are serious about it then you want to buy something quality from the start because you will eventually end up buying the quality product anyway. Might as well save yourself the money and get an Arius now if you really want to learn piano.

The Arius does look nice, but it kinda occupies the same space as an upright though, doesn't it? Space is a scarce resource where I live, so if I should dive into piano playing it would be useful if I could also tuck it away between practise sessions.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

ulvir posted:

The Arius does look nice, but it kinda occupies the same space as an upright though, doesn't it? Space is a scarce resource where I live, so if I should dive into piano playing it would be useful if I could also tuck it away between practise sessions.

It's definitely not stowable, so if you need to be able to put it away when you're not using it then the P-35 is a good choice.

Star posted:

Well, it's too late anyhow but I really love it so far after playing around with it for an hour. I might upgrade later on but it'll be at least a year I think.

The one thing I'd definitely recommend is a better pedal attachment. I thought they made one with three pedals but I can't seem to find it right now.

baw fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Dec 29, 2014

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
It would probably be tough to find something you could stick between two filing cabinets that also offers a decent action, imo. Being able to really express yourself with dynamics is one of the great strengths of the piano and I think you would really end of regretting not having good weighted keys. I was stuck with just a (otherwise great) synth for a while and not having proper action was simply maddening. I don't play classical or really anything serious, just covers and stuff I come up with, but it is extremely limiting to not be able to change the quality of your key press.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joda
Apr 24, 2010

Fun Shoe
I guess a more nuanced way to put it is to check with your neighbours before getting it, to see how the sound insulation is between the floors. I'm currently in a dispute with my upstairs neighbour because she starts hammering her floor if I play for more than like 30 minutes at a time, and she suddenly believes that playing at 5:30/6 PM is unreasonable despite this never being a problem before. I'm not saying it's unreasonable of her, since the sound insulation in my building is awful, but I wish I'd checked this before I got it.