Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
What about Homestuck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

fool_of_sound posted:

It's this. Webcomics that actually update regularly can get away with slow periods much better.

My problem is that he's bringing yet another antagonist again. When I felt the way Haley dispatched of her, with indulging a bit on being a murderous loon despite her development as a responsible leader, was fine and what'sherface influence in the story was over and done with. I know it's Burlew's story and all but Jesus move on already.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

Zogundar posted:

But something doesn't feel quite right, because what, Haley and Belkar alone basically took on the entire thieves guild and won?

But remember Crystal is always evenly matched with Haley, and last time she only took her out so easily because it wasn't expected and she waited until she had the advantage.

Or maybe she and Elan will defeat her without a problem and Durkula will show up just in time to take out Bozzok with some more cold-blooded neck snapping action, only this time where other party members can see....and of course promptly rationalize away somehow because they're super dumb.

fake edit: the comic's been out a little while now, can we stop using spoilers already?

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

Yes.

I see Crystal as being more of a minion than an actual big boy antagonist this time around. Either that or this conflict here is just supposed to showcase how the Order has grown as a party blah blah blah and Crystal and Co get swatted down like insects.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Crystal very specifically has a gimmick where she gets stronger because her rival does. They made a joke about it. She is as strong as she needs to be to be a threat for narrative reasons.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
Speaking of callbacks, I got most of the comic in book form for Christmas, so I started over from the beginning. Considering Durkon's current situation, I hope someone at some point brings this up.

Bravo, Durkon, your duty got you killed, got a monster put in charge of your body, your companions save Belkar who no one listens to thinks it's you, and if a prophecy is correct, said monster's going to bring mass devastation to your homelands. But hey, you DID YOUR DUTY, RIGHT? The bamboo bends, the tree breaks.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Cornwind Evil posted:

Speaking of callbacks, I got most of the comic in book form for Christmas, so I started over from the beginning. Considering Durkon's current situation, I hope someone at some point brings this up.

Bravo, Durkon, your duty got you killed, got a monster put in charge of your body, your companions save Belkar who no one listens to thinks it's you, and if a prophecy is correct, said monster's going to bring mass devastation to your homelands. But hey, you DID YOUR DUTY, RIGHT? The bamboo bends, the tree breaks.

Also: 'take your feelings and bury them in a deep, dark hole'. Like, hm, where he is right now.

Re the bloated narrative - I dunno, Burlew tied off a bunch of narrative threads in the arc just gone. I'd give him the benefit of the doubt. It always reads better as a book.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

Crystal very specifically has a gimmick where she gets stronger because her rival does. They made a joke about it. She is as strong as she needs to be to be a threat for narrative reasons.

Yeah but like, she was dead. Her death was very satisfying and concluded her dynamic with Haley nicely; Haley had undergone some character development and all that but she allowed herself to slip up a bit to kill her in cold blood to ensure that she wouldn't keep hounding her.
I just hope he doesn't bring back Nale or Tarquin now.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Calaveron posted:

Yeah but like, she was dead. Her death was very satisfying and concluded her dynamic with Haley nicely; Haley had undergone some character development and all that but she allowed herself to slip up a bit to kill her in cold blood to ensure that she wouldn't keep hounding her.

Haley murdered someone in cold blood. It was, as you said, a slipup. It needed to come back to haunt her, even if she was honest with Elan about it. Her arc wasn't complete and this is literally a past mistake coming back to haunt her.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Calaveron posted:

Tarquin is possible but Nale would be a stretch considering how big a deal they made of his death being permanent ("Malek's never coming back, so neither is his killer")

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

Haley murdered someone in cold blood. It was, as you said, a slipup. It needed to come back to haunt her, even if she was honest with Elan about it. Her arc wasn't complete and this is literally a past mistake coming back to haunt her.

It makes sense when you put it that way but Jesus there's a ton of other stuff Haley still has to deal with and the business with Crystal seems like the least important.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

ImpAtom posted:

How is murdering a psychopathic murder a "slipup"?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Johnny Aztec posted:

How is murdering a psychopathic murder a "slipup"?

She murdered her in cold blood. It's pretty clearly an issue to her and that is the reason she came clean to Elan about it. If it didn't bother her she wouldn't have cared.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

The comic already established that killing evil aligned characters for no reason is perfectly acceptable.

According to Miko, anyway.

Cthulhuchan
Nov 10, 2005

Rose: Sip martini thoughtfully.

Such as this one.

Just a tiny sip couldn't hurt...
No one in the history of ever has cared what Miko, or any other Lawful Stupid character, has said on any subject.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

Haley's killing of Crystal was awesome and I give a hearty "gently caress you" to anyone who says otherwise. :colbert:

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
You're in a lawless city, and you take proactive measures against a known threat. It's cold, it's calculating, it's definitely not good, but it's justified.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

ImpAtom posted:

Her only mistake was in not destroying the body afterward.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Cornwind Evil posted:

In Origin of PCs, they make quite a big deal out of showing that Durkon does not know about the prophecy at all. He was sent out on a generic mission of diplomacy, and he went because he's Lawful.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

ImpAtom posted:

Haley murdered someone in cold blood.

It looks a little different in light of the bonus story in book 4. During the raid on Grubwiggler's to recover Roy's body, Crystal and Bozzok were pretty clearly trying to take out Haley as collateral damage. Haley killing Crystal becomes a lot more justified once it's made clear that the latter will always be a threat no matter what agreements are in place. I think Rich screwed up in not making that part of the main strip (and he even says as much in the author commentary).

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Also in broader terms Haley's story hasn't been resolved at all, and the whole last story arc steadily build up Haley's backstory and reminded us that the Thieves Guild are still a thing.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Wanderer posted:

In Origin of PCs, they make quite a big deal out of showing that Durkon does not know about the prophecy at all. He was sent out on a generic mission of diplomacy, and he went because he's Lawful.

That's also how it was depicted in the strip proper, although I don't think the prophecy's been brought up outside Origins of PCs.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
Actually, killing an evil person is always good.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

ANIME MONSTROSITY posted:

Actually, killing an evil person is always good.

Unless it going to straight up help people it's neutral at best.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Killing someone who is thoroughly at your mercy without going through the proper trial thing is generally considered a poo poo thing to do. Not an unreasonable thing if someone has written the crisis properly but still a poo poo thing.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
Does it really matter in a universe where races can be born evil and won't change ever, and all evil intent can be done by a simple scan?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Does it really matter in a universe where races can be born evil and won't change ever, and all evil intent can be done by a simple scan?

United States of America?

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

The topic title is literally a reference to the "please stop it with the alignment arguments" title from last thread, tia

I realize it's already too late and we're all doomed to 6+ pages of :spergin: but I tried

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
I haven't been around in 2006 to read that title :saddowns:

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

AppropriateUser
Feb 17, 2012

When Burlew writes it, yeah.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Yeah the normal D&D rules just serve as foil for Rich's views on the topic.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

The answer is yes, as it produces happiness for you, and relative happiness, in the form of Hitler's suffering, for everyone he affected.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Is there any D&D comic that doesn't push a "Good is not the same as good" theme somewhere?

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Tenebrais posted:

Is there any D&D comic that doesn't push a "Good is not the same as good" theme somewhere?

Rusty and Co. doesn't mention alignment at all, except for the establishment of the main "here are some monsters that are player characters" gimmick.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Shugojin posted:

Killing someone who is thoroughly at your mercy without going through the proper trial thing is generally considered a poo poo thing to do. Not an unreasonable thing if someone has written the crisis properly but still a poo poo thing.

That makes it Chaotic, not Evil.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Posting about alignment is an Evil act.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
Murder is evil by definition, if you were killing someone in an acceptable way it wouldn't be called murder, now everyone shut up because you're all wrong.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

What if you murdered Hitler huh???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

quote:

What if you murdered Hitler huh???

That's called loving up the time line and it's a pretty amateurish mistake! More experienced travelers are always having to go and clean up after people like you and it gets old, okay.