Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

All sensitivity has long ago atrophied

Khorne posted:

Hydroid is the only frame I afkd on until it was max level. It's just the worst frame by a huge margin and does nothing of value. And that's coming from someone whose favorite frame is nyx, who for the longest time just pressed 3 and shot things. Nyx has always been top tier, but my point is as a nyx player you shoot things a whole lot because that's how you do damage. Hydroid is like, pressing most of your buttons is worse than not pressing them. A bunch of times I pressed his 3, typed "I'm a puddle" in chat, and then went afk chuckling to myself and imagining how long it would take other people in the mission to catch on and whether they'd be amused or not. It was more fun than permanently playing what is effectively a level 1 frame. His tentacles are okay, but the cast time is huge and they can launch things through the world and all kinds of other dumb bullshit. And it takes them a while to kill stuff so you could have just shot them or used a better crowd control frame.

I don't like ember either. They removed her aura for an awkward skill, they nerfed the crap out of her ult kinda, and there's not much of a frame left now. Her ult is okay I guess, but it doesn't really compare to the other damage dealing frames and ember has limited to no utility.

Mag isn't my style but shield polarize is legit and pull is okay. The ult isn't bad either. I didn't really like mag when pull instant killed things, but I was kinda having fun now that you have to pull them a ton of times. If you slot in natural talent and the full 75% efficiency pull costs pretty much no energy and you just slam everything around with almost no cast time. It's amusing but not that effective overall. Shield Polarize is a pretty legit endgame ability.

So you hate on a frame you largely didn't play by your own admission. Ok.

1 is decent for a cluster of mobs and getting them somewhat off-balance. When (if) they get hit it staggers them enough to get in a reload or keeps them clumped for some one to hit them with something AoE. It's essentially an artillery strike which isn't largely accurate, unfortunately this move doesn't have huge damage.

2 basically Rhino's #1, except you don't do the large amount of damage

3 skip it honestly. I think I used it 5 times to test it out and moved on. No puddle jokes made.

4 if you set him up like a Frost and get distance, duration and strength it becomes largely useful. Especially if you just stunned using your #1. Also the fact you actually see where it will be cast is somewhat helpful. I find it more numerous when the enemy see the tentacles out and just runs right into them tossing them around.

Is it my #1 frame? Nope. I had way more fun on it than Oberon or Zephyr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Denzine
Sep 2, 2011

One time, I did a thing.
The thing with hydroid is you need all the corrupted mods to make him good.

With his 1 and 4 I can hold two approaches against basically loving anything short of nullifiers.

nullifiers are a really horrible addition to this game, they make marginal frames so much worse it's insane.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

I still wish they'd left in the Blade Storm trick if only because it made me feel super clever for figuring it out :saddowns:

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

The problem with Hyrdroid is he provides a blend of damage and crowd control that's strictly weaker then any of the frames that specialize in damage or crowd control. Warframe is a game that just doesn't reward being a generalist and he's not even the best generalist frame.

If they buffed the damage of his one and his two and maybe shortened the cast time on his 4 he'd be an extremely good frame but as it stands he's just sort of meh.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
Warframe isn't a game that rewards crowd control or non instant damage abilities for the vast majority of poo poo you can do.

Denzine
Sep 2, 2011

One time, I did a thing.
It's mostly that it's all leaky CC, where Vauban and so on don't, and the damage isn't quite enough to make up for it because damage(even finisher damage) doesn't scale as well as guns, and Bastille or Vortex and Chaos etc make gun damage way easier to apply.

edit: Hydroid's stuff also isn't nearly as spammable as other frame powers. And they're all still made irrelevant by the loving nullifiers.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Okay, I'm missing parts for the following Primes: Scindo, Hikkou (got the pouches!), Soma (got the barrel), Vasto, Nova, Loki (got the BP), Nyx and the Wyrm systems. Anyone here got any of these? Could pay plat for them.

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Ok so I think I'm retarded: how the hell are people moving so drat fast? Half the time it feels like I'm burning all my stamina/energy just staying a room behind everyone else. :downs: Excal, if that matters. And if I run rhino I might as well just sit in the first room till everything's cleared.

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

Naturally Selected posted:

Ok so I think I'm retarded: how the hell are people moving so drat fast? Half the time it feels like I'm burning all my stamina/energy just staying a room behind everyone else. :downs: Excal, if that matters. And if I run rhino I might as well just sit in the first room till everything's cleared.

Get a quick melee weapon (the starter skana is okay), slide, jump in the air and crouch so you're doing the airslide/kick, and do a melee attack. Depending on your weapon you'll go a pretty far distance. Practice that, it's called coptering.

Daynab fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Dec 30, 2014

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

And if you have dumbfingers like me and can't manage coptering consistently, directional air melee attacks, sliding attacks, and the Rush mod can, together, serve almost as well.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

To elaborate, assuming you're using the default keybindings:

1. Hold down Shift and W to run.
2. Press and release space to jump.
3. Hold down Ctrl while still holding w.
4. You should be doing a 'jump kick' sort of animation. Press and release E.
5. When you land, let go of Ctrl.
6. Repeat.

It's a skill that takes some getting used to but once you do you can go incredibly fast. Like Daynab said, this is called 'coptering' because most weapons will make you do a spin attack like you're a helicopter.

Another trick that's useful to know is directional air melee: if you aim, jump, and melee, you'll go a fair distance in the direction you're aiming. It's usually slower than coptering (though for the Kogake/Obex it's actually *faster*), but it's directional so you can use it like a high jump.

vOv fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Dec 30, 2014

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Updated Mobility Guide:
Mobility is more than just sprinting and parkour. Even the slowest frame can outpace you if they know how to use the slide, slide jump, slide melee, air slide melee (aka coptering) and air melee properly. Give it a try, it's fun stuff.

Run, then crouch => Slide
Run, crouch, melee => Slide melee
Run, jump, melee => Air melee.
- This one actually applies momentum to the direction you're looking at, so you get extra airtime if you look up before hitting the melee. It also has some weird landing lag after executing so ideally you get enough airtime to transition to a slide. Since you keep the momentum from your sprint the optimal launching angle is higher than the typical 45º.
- If your viewing angle is too low (somewhere below the horizon line, I think?) you'll instead do the slam attack which drops you straight down.
- If you hold the melee button it'll start the air melee animation and almost immediately transition to the slam attack. Don't hold the melee button unless you want to go down.
Run, jump, crouch => Air slide.
- Your frame will look like it's jump-kicking.
- If your feet connects with an enemy it does a tiny amount of damage and staggers them. It's actually pretty fun and somewhat useful.
Run, jump, crouch, melee => Air slide melee.
- The so-called coptering.

After some practice it becomes second nature and you'll be flying through the skies like a majestic space ninja eagle. If the weapon has good air melee (I know polearms have really good air melee to compensate for their lovely coptering) you can even skip the stairs completely.

Some more things:
Sliding lets you regenerate stamina. This way you can keep sprinting for longer.
Landing will interrupt the reload animation. Sliding does not. This means you can reload while falling by transitioning to a slide before hitting the ground.
Air melee is very useful for skipping stairs and fences and such, you just fly over them instead. Most weapons give you enough air you can jump straight to the 2nd level of the tile without having to go up stairs.
Coptering is overrated. You can just use slide melee and air melee and keep up with almost anybody.

Kyte fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Dec 30, 2014

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

How to have fun with Hydroid:
1. Set your Hydroid power color to yellow.
2. Pretend you've got an array of urine based powers. 'Hey I'm a piss puddle!'

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer

Azran posted:

Okay, I'm missing parts for the following Primes: Scindo, Hikkou (got the pouches!), Soma (got the barrel), Vasto, Nova, Loki (got the BP), Nyx and the Wyrm systems. Anyone here got any of these? Could pay plat for them.

I have some spare Hikou prime stars for you, and maybe some extra nova/nyx stuff. Bukowski606 in game.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
Pro tip, way easier on your poor pinkie finger to set Toggle to Crouch as C and tapping that with your index finger each time you crouch in the air to copter instead of making your pinkie curl in further down to hold down a button. Take care of your hands, they're important.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

tlarn posted:

Pro tip, way easier on your poor pinkie finger to set Toggle to Crouch as C and tapping that with your index finger each time you crouch in the air to copter instead of making your pinkie curl in further down to hold down a button. Take care of your hands, they're important.

My crouch is on a mouse thumb button, it works pretty well.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

tlarn posted:

I recommend binding crouch to space and jump to mwheeldown/ctrl (or some other keyboard key that's easy to hit). That way you can wall run with ctrl and use space for your primary movement method in this game (tapping crouch). It's not as unintuitive as it sounds because I've put thousands of hours into other fps games and even played them competitively/professionally and I normally use space for jump but in this game I can't really imagine binding crouch to anything else.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Dec 30, 2014

HukHukHuk
Jun 27, 2011

I am the sound of cats and hairballs.
Also Channeling your melee weapon gives the directional air melee a bit more distance and speed. You can easily skip stairs and elevators with the extra distance and speed from channeling and it costs nothing.

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747
That was quick-starting to get the hang of it now. Well, the sliding melee part, at least. Can generally keep up.

Now to unfuck weapons and get something that'll actually kill things! :getin:

By the way, is our clan still done through the offsite or do I need to bug someone in-game?

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

That was quick-starting to get the hang of it now. Well, the sliding melee part, at least. Can generally keep up.

Now to unfuck weapons and get something that'll actually kill things! :getin:

By the way, is our clan still done through the offsite or do I need to bug someone in-game?

Yeah, just do the process in the OP, it didn't take long for me and I joined a few weeks ago.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

So is it safe for those who havent received anything yet to assume at this point that Santa Tenno got eaten by a Fomorian and funds ran out before all the gifts went out?

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

SynthOrange posted:

So is it safe for those who havent received anything yet to assume at this point that Santa Tenno got eaten by a Fomorian and funds ran out before all the gifts went out?

That's what we get for not saving the North Pole Relay.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,

He helps people like me.
:rip: Rudolph the Red-Nosed MOA.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
So I'm looking to trade any of the red veil mods for a shield polarize mod for Mag. Any takers? I too, wish to be an unstoppable polarize juggernaut.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.

DelphiAegis posted:

So I'm looking to trade any of the red veil mods for a shield polarize mod for Mag. Any takers? I too, wish to be an unstoppable polarize juggernaut.

You can polarize all you want it won't keep the Nautilus away. Ask me in like twelve hours when this lovely helmet is done.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
Speaking of, I'll pay pubbie fleecing prices in plat for a rhino prime hat BP if anyone's got a spare.

Panzerkin3D
Dec 13, 2011

The mountains have always been here, and in them, the bears.
So I have decided I want to create the immortal Trinity I keep hearing about (50 minute T4S's solo). Anyone have an example build for something like that? Duration/Range/Power Strength being the focus I assume?

Delphi - I believe I have one. I'll be online in a couple hours once my boss tells me to get out because work is too slow.

Also, T4D setup I want to try out for funsies. Vauban (Repelling Bastille) / Limbo (Cataclysm) / Mesa / Mesa. Mesa's do what Mesa's do, and Vauban/Limbo keep up their respective abilities while dealing with nullifiers. In theory nothing would ever get inside the bubble. Disarm Loki / Mesa, Nova / Mesa, or Rhino / Mesa might work better than double Mesa. Mostly want to try out the Repelling Bastille and Cataclysm combo.

Panzerkin3D fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Dec 30, 2014

Gamwhiz1
Aug 15, 2012

DelphiAegis posted:

Speaking of, I'll pay pubbie fleecing prices in plat for a rhino prime hat BP if anyone's got a spare.

I have one lying around, but having just restarted playing my idea of "pubbie fleecing" is still early rhino access 30-40p for the suckers :V

I'm on right now, pm "Gamwhiz" if you want it and it's yours for whatever you wanna give.

E; or wait for that guy to come back from work~

Cascade Failure
Jan 8, 2010
Pryclodactyl: Got you ingame message, unfortunately was afk for a while so apparently missed you. I haven't forgotten about the Boltor Prime I promised, I'll be online tomorrow at about the same time so hit me up then if you can!

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
My Cernos went from 90-something ammo max to 37 with my ammo drum mod. Did bows just get a maximum ammo nerf or something?

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

FlocksOfMice posted:

My Cernos went from 90-something ammo max to 37 with my ammo drum mod. Did bows just get a maximum ammo nerf or something?

What was your secondary?

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

FlocksOfMice posted:

If your two weapons share the same ammo pool they get cut. So you might have a secondary that uses sniper ammo.

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
Oh! I am using the castanas and I guess that explains that all! Whoa okay thank you.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
I keep staring at my castana bp in my foundry and I almost click it, then I remember what else I could be using that forma on.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,

He helps people like me.
Son of a bitch, I finally complete the Limbo Chassis, the last piece I needed and got hosed on for the longest time, I get to the BP and I'm missing the Systems. I must've misclicked and sold it when I was clearing my inventory out of other BPs I didn't need, like old ones for Banshee and Loki.

:downsgun:

wid
Sep 7, 2005
Living in paradise (only bombed once)

Charles Bukowski posted:

I keep staring at my castana bp in my foundry and I almost click it, then I remember what else I could be using that forma on.

Castana is sweet. It's practically a thrown C4 you can detonate at leisure. Except now that they nerfed the ammo it's not as spammable as the other weapons so it needs tactical skill to use so the pubbies abandoned it.

Other than that, I think DE nerfed it a bit much. They should've kept the ammo pool low but it should use pistol ammo.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Is there still a chance for the tenno packs on steam to go down to 75%?

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,

He helps people like me.

Xun posted:

Is there still a chance for the tenno packs on steam to go down to 75%?

It's happened before, yeah, but these packs usually only go that deep discount when it's specifically the game or MMOs in general on sale. If it doesn't get to 75% by the last day of the sale, your next stop is Prime Access.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
There's a chance a daily vote will end up being War Thunder vs Warframe vs something else, at this rate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

tlarn posted:

Son of a bitch, I finally complete the Limbo Chassis, the last piece I needed and got hosed on for the longest time, I get to the BP and I'm missing the Systems. I must've misclicked and sold it when I was clearing my inventory out of other BPs I didn't need, like old ones for Banshee and Loki.

:downsgun:

Go straight to Support, ask to undo the transaction. Don't sell any other stuff until they answer.