Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

I personally can't wait to see Punk Hazard's dad, since he raised a kid like that.

The way I see it, his dad is either a well known genius hero of some sort, or an utter failure that he feels the need to show he's better than. Possibly even a villain of some sort. His attitude is very similar to two different archetypes, the kid who needs to live up to a huge legacy, or the redeemer of his family who has to 'prove' himself.

Or it could be something completely different, who knows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

DoubleDonut posted:

I wonder if Hailfire Peaks or Bakugou is gonna be the first one to warm up to Deku and be the Piccolo to his Goku?

The Flaming Snowman is just a bit surly and standoffish. It doesn't seem like he particularly dislikes Deku, or that his attitude is a genuine problem (he's actually very conscientious and responsible with his power, even if he's a bit of a jerk about it), so there's not much dramatic tension to be wrung out of it. In other words, either he'll pal up to our hero fast, or he'll just stay the way he is.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Darth Walrus posted:

The Flaming Snowman is just a bit surly and standoffish. It doesn't seem like he particularly dislikes Deku, or that his attitude is a genuine problem (he's actually very conscientious and responsible with his power, even if he's a bit of a jerk about it), so there's not much dramatic tension to be wrung out of it. In other words, either he'll pal up to our hero fast, or he'll just stay the way he is.
yeah, Chillcano seems like he's acknowledging Deku. He wants to win and he sees Deku as a threat to that, but it's nothing personal.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Oh my god please let the name joke die

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Countblanc posted:

Chill out, hothead.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Countblanc posted:

Good luck. ADTRW posters never let jokes die, and they're never the funny ones. There's entire pages of stuff like that in the One Piece thread.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I'm just wondering who's more likely to pull a 'Sasuke' and join the villains for the sake of power, Heatwave Hailstorm, or Kancho.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

Good luck. ADTRW posters never let jokes die, and they're never the funny ones. There's entire pages of stuff like that in the One Piece thread.

I find this is the way goons are in general. How many different threads are there about cucking? Or Goku? V:shobon:V

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Silento posted:

I find this is the way goons are in general. How many different threads are there about cucking? Or Goku? V:shobon:V

I think when it comes to cuckoldry, thats just a stopped clock is right twice a day sitch.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
:goku:

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Dunno about you, I am genuinely having fun seeing the name jokes.

I'll just keep using Icy Hot because it's easier to remember.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Say Nothing posted:

I'm just wondering who's more likely to pull a 'Sasuke' and join the villains for the sake of power, Heatwave Hailstorm, or Kancho.

What power? Villains have been the punching bags for heroes, though that is changing now that All Might is in decline and the villains are on the rise. The only way someone would be stronger as a villain is if their quirk was explicitly deadly.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I think the nicknames started because Japanese names are hard to remember.
Sticky Mouse, Frogette, Ice Burn, all descriptive and easy to place.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I thought Punk Hazard was a very nice reference.

That said, the guy's dad might be the hero Endeavor, who's mentioned in Chapter 3. Might explain his complex about needing to stand out and prove himself.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Silento posted:

There is but one thread about cucking, and it is the Crusader Kings 2 thread. :)

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Kyte posted:

I'll just keep using Icy Hot because it's easier to remember.

He needs to get some electrical powers somehow, then he can be an Icy Hot Stunta.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

To be fair that thread was amazing

Jazu
Jan 1, 2006

Looking for some URANIUM? CLICK HERE

Silento posted:

Wait, where are there threads about cucking? I thought that was just some poo poo on 4chan?

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Jazu posted:

Wait, where are there threads about cucking? I thought that was just some poo poo on 4chan?

Nah, it's a meme from GBS or FYAD or something. Check out the speedrun thread in Games, it's frequently derailed by year old cucking drama.

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

To be fair that thread was amazing

This is indeed true.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
I hate to interrupt this whole nicknaming competition/meme discussion you've got going here, but there's a new chapter out!

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Ahahahaha loving Deku :allears:

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Great chapter. I especially love the camera-bots cheering on the robots! :allears:

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Oh poo poo I just realized the weird flares around steelboy's eyes are steel eyelashes.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Tetsutetsu Tetsutetsu

That sure is a name alright

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
By the way, Horikoshi's twitter had a sketch of the detective dude with some extra info. His codename is Trueman and he can "see the truth of any matter".

So pretty much perfect for detective work.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Kyte posted:

By the way, Horikoshi's twitter had a sketch of the detective dude with some extra info. His codename is Trueman and he can "see the truth of any matter".

So pretty much perfect for detective work.

Yeah, with a skill like that, you pretty much have to be a detective.

... Well, either that or become a professional poker player.

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

Deku really is the Hero of Courage.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

DaveWoo posted:

Yeah, with a skill like that, you pretty much have to be a detective.

... Well, either that or become a professional poker player.

How exactly does that work? You can perfectly decipher anyone's intent?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

They're just copy pasting quirks!

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.

Annointed posted:

How exactly does that work? You can perfectly decipher anyone's intent?

That was my guess at least, hypervigilance for small details and tells. That or he's psychic. :shrug:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

tlarn posted:

That was my guess at least, hypervigilance for small details and tells. That or he's psychic. :shrug:

I'm imagining it like any Ace Attorney superpower, Psychelocks/Perception/Mood Matrix. You can somehow tell if a person is lying.

Jazu
Jan 1, 2006

Looking for some URANIUM? CLICK HERE

Dj Meow Mix posted:

Deku really is the Hero of Courage.

I was just going to look for that gif.

You can actually do that in multiple legend of zelda games. So, It's kind of fitting that Deku would do it.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

I like how All Might is kinda doing a one-man wave on the final page. :allears:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I cannot believe you all are ignoring one of the greatest jokes in the entire series run, which is that two people had the same goddamn superpower and the manga was like "Hey, what the gently caress? That's hosed up!"

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

you already made a post about it and didnt want to copy paste posts

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I really hope Deku took the time to collect a bunch of mines. Also when this gets an anime they better have surf music out of nowhere right after that blast.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I'm not sure how Deku managed to even stay as close as he did from the rest of the crowd. It seems like someone like Iida or Bakugou (who basically literally have combustion engines to work with) would be way ahead.

To be fair, I can see him doing better than many of the other heroes simply by virtue of being in better shape than most of them from his training, but it still seems like the ones with quirks that directly translate to "being really fast" would be way ahead of the others.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I think the idea is he managed to catch up because everyone was forced to slow way down for the minefield.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
Hawkboy's shadow powers making him a bird person make sense now. Although this feels more spiritual than the sci-fi feeling of most other quirks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

RatHat posted:

I think the idea is he managed to catch up because everyone was forced to slow way down for the minefield.

Yeah, the minefield slowed down all the leaders. Plus I think he was one of the few people to avoid being frozen at the start.