Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

qbert posted:

4/2, 4/2, 3/3, 1/1, 1/1 attacking. How do you get 18?

The rabblemaster copy will be a 2/2 since its ability never triggers, but if you stack the triggers right, the original will have 5 power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Ableist Kinkshamer posted:

The rabblemaster copy will be a 2/2 since its ability never triggers, but if you stack the triggers right, the original will have 5 power.

Yeah I think you are correct.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Ableist Kinkshamer posted:

No, this is right. I am stupid.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Angry Grimace posted:

No, this is right. I am stupid.

Read the text on Goblin Rabblemaster again.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Question about Soulflayer...

Lets say in combat I sac 3 goblins to Butcher of the Horde, my opponent responds with normal removal, I then cast Soulflayer exiling butcher as part of the delve.

Does it get all the abilities that Butcher had that turn given the turn never ended for him to lose it?

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

AceClown posted:

Question about Soulflayer...

Lets say in combat I sac 3 goblins to Butcher of the Horde, my opponent responds with normal removal, I then cast Soulflayer exiling butcher as part of the delve.

Does it get all the abilities that Butcher had that turn given the turn never ended for him to lose it?

No, once Butcher died it just became a card again in the graveyard, and all it has is Flying.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

No. It doesn't have abilities in any other zone.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
The full rules primer on Manifesting a Double Faced Card is:

"No, it just goes onto the battlefield face down. Use its front face to determine if you can turn it face up and what it’s mana cost is. If it turns face up, it’ll be front face up. You still can’t turn one on the battlefield face down. Full rules to come."

What it means there's different rules for treating a DFC depending on the mechanic that causes it to be face down rather than a uniform treatment that they can or can't be face-down. It means a DFC CAN be face-down sometimes, but can't be turned face-down when its already on the battlefield. I can't figure out a reason why it would work that way.

VVVVV Yeah, I can see it. Its not worse than Pearl Lake Ancient and that saw play.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Dec 30, 2014

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014

Angry Grimace posted:

Seems like an odd choice for him to me (he's the pro, I'm not, obviously). The U/B control deck isn't terribly likely to be staring down a ton of threats by the time it stabilizes, especially with a Black wrath coming in the new set.

Put it this way, its a late game wrath tied to a win con. (7 turn clock). Its added security.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Man I really wish wotc would pull their heads out of their asses and make MTGO not a steaming pile of poo poo. Every time I think about how much money they could be making and how much fun I could be having it literally hurts.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Angry Grimace posted:

"No, it just goes onto the battlefield face down. Use its front face to determine if you can turn it face up and what it’s mana cost is. If it turns face up, it’ll be front face up. You still can’t turn one on the battlefield face down. Full rules to come."

What it means there's different rules for treating a DFC depending on the mechanic that causes it to be face down rather than a uniform treatment that they can or can't be face-down. It means a DFC CAN be face-down sometimes, but can't be turned face-down when its already on the battlefield. I can't figure out a reason why it would work that way.

I wouldn't be surprised if this ends up getting adjusted the next time they decide to do a big rules cleanup. It's probably just that "oh now you can turn DFCs face down" was too much of a change to be introducing in a set that has absolutely nothing to do with DFCs, so they decided to take the most straightforward incremental change.

If I had to guess, you'll probably be able to play DFCs face down with Illusionary Mask now.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
Maybe people will start playing morphs and not flipping them against ugin decks.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
Considering the Morphs still die to his +2, I doubt that'll be an effective strategy.

People will more likely just have try to win before he lands. Or Hero's Downfall him.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
New set is lookin' DOPE AS gently caress :sicknasty:

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
I've been hyped since the black sweeper, and I still haven't been disappointed yet.

The only thing I'm worried about being disappointed over is not getting any Wedge coloured dragons, since thats growing increasingly unlikely.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

I really like Soulflayer, though I don't know what kind of deck would want him in standard now. If you play him in Azban or Sidisi whip, the things he can get are deathtouch/flying (from hornet queen) trample (from rhino, Sagu Mauler) or hexproof (from caryatid, Mauler again.) And in most cases, I would rather Whip out those cards than exile them from the graveyard. Maybe Jund with Prophetic Flamespeaker, Hornet Queen, Swiftspear?

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Rimusutera posted:

I've been hyped since the black sweeper, and I still haven't been disappointed yet.

The only thing I'm worried about being disappointed over is not getting any Wedge coloured dragons, since thats growing increasingly unlikely.

This may be true but I have a pretty good hunch (don't ask me how!) that they might have a dragon or two up their sleeves for Dragons of Tarkir.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

You lose when Ugin comes out unless you already have a Downfall in your hand, probably.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C

Rimusutera posted:

Considering the Morphs still die to his +2, I doubt that'll be an effective strategy.

People will more likely just have try to win before he lands. Or Hero's Downfall him.

That's when you flip your sagu mauler!!!

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014

goferchan posted:

This may be true but I have a pretty good hunch (don't ask me how!) that they might have a dragon or two up their sleeves for Dragons of Tarkir.

Yeah but is it a five card cycle?

Molybdenum posted:

That's when you flip your sagu mauler!!!

Temur Monsters confirmed for next ProTour win.

Skillface
Oct 7, 2012

GoutPatrol posted:

I really like Soulflayer, though I don't know what kind of deck would want him in standard now. If you play him in Azban or Sidisi whip, the things he can get are deathtouch/flying (from hornet queen) trample (from rhino, Sagu Mauler) or hexproof (from caryatid, Mauler again.) And in most cases, I would rather Whip out those cards than exile them from the graveyard. Maybe Jund with Prophetic Flamespeaker, Hornet Queen, Swiftspear?

Chromanticore :getin:

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

True, its basically a card designed to throw those big fuckers in the graveyard. Throw some caryatids for hexproof, start playing some gods for indestructible and you've got a steal.

EDIT: If you delve a Chromanticore, Basara Tower Archer, Typhoid Rats, Prophetic Flamespeaker, a God, and Swiftspear, you get all of them. I can't figure out a way to get all the abilities in less than 6.

GoutPatrol fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Dec 30, 2014

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Skyl3lazer posted:

Man I really wish wotc would pull their heads out of their asses and make MTGO not a steaming pile of poo poo. Every time I think about how much money they could be making and how much fun I could be having it literally hurts.

My favorite MTGO bug is when you try and trade with a bot, and then the bot doesn't do anything so you cancel the trade, but you're not allowed to trade with anyone anymore and have to restart MTGO.

Other fun bugs:

Submits entire pool as limited deck;
Lags out so you try and click something, but then it registers the click 10 seconds later after you tried to click it again, then registers both clicks, skipping some crucial phase;
Horrible RAM leaks for no reason;
Takes forever to load up your card list; and
Impossible to find certain options, including help, cards you need in order to redeem a set, etc.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Dec 30, 2014

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

GoutPatrol posted:

True, its basically a card designed to throw those big fuckers in the graveyard. Throw some caryatids for hexproof, start playing some gods for indestructible and you've got a steal.

This is basically what Sultai Whip is already doing; just find room for Soulflayer to take advantage of milled Caryatids and Pharikas.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
I feel like if you get flying and hexproof/indestructible on that baby you're pretty much happy enough.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Yeah but what fliers are whip decks using beside Hornet queen, something I would never want to delve away? I would rather Whip out a Queen or Roc every time.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

goferchan posted:

I wouldn't be amazed if there wasn't a scourge of dragons in that set, though. It is wotc, they like to switch it up.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Getting a win from like 10 life back with Crater's Claws inspires such rage in opponents. I highly recommend it.

Spiderdrake posted:

I wouldn't be amazed if there wasn't a scourge of dragons in that set, though. It is wotc, they like to switch it up.

Khans of Tarkir only had 5 Khans :v:

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Dec 30, 2014

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

Soulflayer is not going to see much standard play. It reminds me of Butcher of the Horde. Wonky casting restrictions, modal-ish abilities and usually not worth the setup. Fun card though.

Rimusutera
Oct 17, 2014
I mucked up my last game and only went 1-2 and now don't have enough Phantom Points left to continue drafting Holiday Cube.

I'm really sad now.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Skyl3lazer posted:

V4 sucks so hard I started playing paper again for the first time since Weatherlight.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

meanolmrcloud posted:

Soulflayer is not going to see much standard play. It reminds me of Butcher of the Horde. Wonky casting restrictions, modal-ish abilities and usually not worth the setup. Fun card though.

Butcher of the Horde is playable in any Standard deck that can cast it and probably would be at least debatable to play in the 4-drop slot of that deck even if the sacrifice ability didn't exist.

Soulflayer isn't even remotely comparable. You don't have to set up a deck to play around Butcher of the Horde, he just gets better if you happen to have Rabble tokens to feed him. Mardu Midrange is in the Top 4 decks on MTGO and Butcher is a 4-of in that deck, which isn't set up to play around him at all.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

mr. mephistopheles posted:

V4 sucks so hard I started playing paper again for the first time since Weatherlight.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
e: ^holy poo poo

I also think he's wrong as butts about the Soulflayer. Even ignoring all the conditional abilities for when you delve away something interesting for him (Gurmag Swiftwing is this dudes best loving friend), it's going to be a 4/4 for 2 most of the time, and isn't even bad as a 4/4 for 3 or 4/4 for 4.

e2: Delve away Chromanticore :getin:

Four Score fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Dec 30, 2014

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Like I don't want to dismiss delve cards that quickly with nice upsides and all but when you whip out Gurmag Swiftwing you should look at your post and quietly start again.

Keep delving man. Delve deeper.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Spiderdrake posted:

Like I don't want to dismiss delve cards that quickly with nice upsides and all but when you whip out Gurmag Swiftwing you should look at your post and quietly start again.

Keep delving man. Delve deeper.

Why would I whip Gurmag Swiftwing? That's a terrible waste of a whip :saddowns:

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

That Mantis Rider/Whip deck has a new all-star

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
I took this joke to its natural conclusion, fill out the sideboard with your imagination (Kheru Dreadmaw just so you can feel smugly superior when your opponents try to claim that exiling it gave Soulflayer Defender)

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/gurmag-swiftwings-comeuppance/

quote:

Creature: 4x Heir of the Wilds
4x Hooting Mandrills
2x Sidisi, Brood Tyrant
2x Soul of Innistrad
2x Soul of New Phyrexia
4x Soulflayer

Land (21)

3x Forest
3x Island
4x Opulent Palace
3x Swamp
2x Temple of Deceit
2x Temple of Malady
4x Temple of Mystery

Sorcery (16)

4x Commune with the Gods
4x Scout the Borders
4x Taigam's Scheming
4x Treasure Cruise

Artifact (1)

1x Whip of Erebos

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Angry Grimace posted:

Getting a win from like 10 life back with Crater's Claws inspires such rage in opponents. I highly recommend it.

Khans of Tarkir only had 5 Khans :v:

At a recent GPT, I watched a guy playing Temur monsters versus villainous wealth control. The temur player was stuck with only a couple mana dorks that he kept swinging with. Everytime he tried to play a bomb, the opponent countered it or immediately removed it. Eventually the mana dorks swing the opponent to 8 life or so so the opponent dropped a bile blight, then at end step dropped a dictate of karametra, untapped, and villainous wealth' for 12 or so, hitting just a pile of creatures. Temur player throws out a stubborn denial (no ferocious) and the control player taps his remaining land to pay for it. The villainous wealth hits SO MUCH GAS! Knuckleblades, boon satyr, polukranos, a lightning strike, a mystic or two, etc. it's crazy.

The temur player just untaps, and cool as a cucumber drops the craters claw (that he'd been sandbagging for several turns) for 15.

I'd never been so stoked to see a teammate lose, but it was so great to watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Angry Grimace posted:

Lags out so you try and click something, but then it registers the click 10 seconds later after you tried to click it again, then registers both clicks, skipping some crucial phase

You didn't really want to find a land with that fetch, did you? Yeah I didn't think so. Nice Treasure Mage. It's even nicer as a Grey Ogre. I've lost way too many games that I couldn't have possibly lost because I wasn't sure if it registered my click to resolve a search, so I waited 5, 10 seconds and clicked again and suddenly there's no Wurmcoil in my hand when there should be.

This is literally the most frustrating thing about MTGO to me. I'll live with a crappy trading system, taking 3 minutes to start, memory leaks, loading a deck other than the one I selected, and generally terrible interface choices, but losing a game because I can't tell if it didn't register my click or if I'm getting a random 10 second lag spike is the worst feeling. They should at least put the "I'm done" button by the search window if they're not going to fix the lag.

• Locked thread