Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
Only The Strong is a good primer on capoeria

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

origami posted:

I agree and was pleasantly surprised to find the full movie on YouTube.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Mr. Nice! posted:

I agree and was pleasantly surprised to find the full movie on YouTube.

origami posted:

is this irony because i watched like 10 seconds of an old white man terrified of obviously fake and choreographed fighting and turned it off

Keg
Sep 22, 2014
Move over, Titodick.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Marching Powder posted:

is this irony because i watched like 10 seconds of an old white man terrified of obviously fake and choreographed fighting and turned it off

That's the glory of capoeira.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Marching Powder posted:

It's a cheesy as gently caress movie but it's actually lots of fun. And Marc Dacascos is a dreamboat :allears:

It has the absolute most cliché-d story in the history of sports and martial arts films. I certainly wouldn't recommend watching it sober.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
Only the Strong rules don't talk about it like it's some ironic thing that should only be enjoyed as a joke

Keg
Sep 22, 2014
Choke is a cool old Rickson documentary, with a happy ending -- The american kickboxer guy fulfilled his dream of driving the bobsled in the Olympics :)

FiddlersThree
Mar 13, 2010

Elliot, you IDIOT!

origami posted:

Only the Strong rules don't talk about it like it's some ironic thing that should only be enjoyed as a joke

Plus it's got the Zoom Zoom Zoom song that was later co-opted by Mazda.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Keg posted:

Choke is a cool old Rickson documentary, with a happy ending -- The american kickboxer guy fulfilled his dream of driving the bobsled in the Olympics :)

I always enjoyed the juxtaposition of rickson "I was born for this all I think about is fighting" and the other dude who just wanted to make some money and bobsled. A lot of those early nhb guys seemed unhappy to be there and

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Been back at jits for a couple weeks now. I'd forgotten how slow and deliberate everything is. I have to force myself to not seem spastic compared to everybody else. The upside is it is allowing me to work myself into BJJ shape, since it is nowhere near as tiring as Judo. It also hurts way less.

FreakyMetalKid
Nov 23, 2003

I received a promotion to purple belt in Brazilian hug fighting today. :woop:

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

Thoguh posted:

Been back at jits for a couple weeks now. I'd forgotten how slow and deliberate everything is. I have to force myself to not seem spastic compared to everybody else. The upside is it is allowing me to work myself into BJJ shape, since it is nowhere near as tiring as Judo. It also hurts way less.

Good job.

FreakyMetalKid posted:

Good job.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

FreakyMetalKid posted:

Congratulations!

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

Had my first run in with a serious lapel guard player on Friday. God drat that poo poo is frustrating, I managed to defend his subs and sweeps but couldn't pass for poo poo. Anyone have any tips (other than lol don't let him get the grips) or know any good videos showing how to pass it?

A Wry Smile
Jul 19, 2014

Well, at least now it's over.
Yeah that stuff is infuriating, I would definitely recommend studying the system so you can get into the guard player's head better. IIRC Buchecha eventually passed the reverse de la worm by using a combination of folding and heavy circle passes to tire Keenan's legs and draw them out to the side so he could spin behind them to secure the pass.
I personally like the counter proposed here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYkqZkxv_ZA
because I feel like worm guard's threats are limited before you start throwing your weight around, so it's okay to take the time to set up a complex response.

A Wry Smile fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Dec 14, 2014

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
I've experienced some non black belt worm guard and I agree that if you remember they're pretty stuck to you too then you're better off. It's just like spider guard, if you go nuts and thrash and spin it's just playing into their counters. I keep good posture and try to keep them in positions where they're using energy. eventually the muscles get too tired and it's hard to hold.

These are blue purple level guys who aren't competition monsters. I don't think I could do it vs guys who are conditioned to hold that guard.

Keg
Sep 22, 2014
Sometimes I wish I was as passionate about a single thing in life as Rener is about the most incredibly mundane things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEo3xMCa58Y&t=322s

People Stew
Dec 5, 2003

I start BJJ on January 5th. I ended up signing up for an 8-week intro class at the Renzo Gracie school in Portland. 3 classes a week for 8 weeks will surely kill me.
Any recommendations on a good gi that won't cost too much but, most importantly, won't suck too badly?

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
It won't kill you, relax.

People Stew
Dec 5, 2003

ICHIBAHN posted:

It won't kill you, relax.

I know. I wouldn't be doing it if I was seriously worried. I know it is going to kick my rear end though.
I took a class almost 10 years ago at university and it was tough back then, and now I'm older and less flexible, so it should keep me good and tired all week.

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Don't buy some cheap poo poo. Koral, the best. Competition cut.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Prickly Pete posted:

I know. I wouldn't be doing it if I was seriously worried. I know it is going to kick my rear end though.
I took a class almost 10 years ago at university and it was tough back then, and now I'm older and less flexible, so it should keep me good and tired all week.

Aye cool, it's just you said it'd kill you.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Prickly Pete posted:

I start BJJ on January 5th. I ended up signing up for an 8-week intro class at the Renzo Gracie school in Portland. 3 classes a week for 8 weeks will surely kill me.
Any recommendations on a good gi that won't cost too much but, most importantly, won't suck too badly?

Buy a Fuji gi, they are cheap and of good quality.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

TwistedNails posted:

Buy a Fuji gi, they are cheap and of good quality.

I did this and its a good idea

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Midlands, one of the bigger college wrestling tournaments of the year, is happening today and tomorrow. The Big Ten Network is streaming all the mats for free and the finals will be live on BTN tomorrow (Tuesday) night at 8 eastern.

http://btn.com/2014/12/28/watch-live-video-streams-from-all-midlands-championships-mats-for-free/

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

HEELS WILL BE HOOKED! LEGS WILL BE LOCKED! YOU'LL PAY FOR THE WHOLE SEAT BUT YOU'LL ONLY NEED THE EDGE!

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Unrelatedly, this is a cool rundown of RPW, which was an insanely awesome idea that I used to catch on PAX and my old wrestling coach was fanatical about to the point of owning tshirts and posters.

http://www.mmafighting.com/2014/12/30/7460249/the-league-of-supermen-real-pro-wrestling-feature-daniel-cormier-toby-willis

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

Thoguh posted:

Midlands, one of the bigger college wrestling tournaments of the year, is happening today and tomorrow. The Big Ten Network is streaming all the mats for free and the finals will be live on BTN tomorrow (Tuesday) night at 8 eastern.

http://btn.com/2014/12/28/watch-live-video-streams-from-all-midlands-championships-mats-for-free/

Mike Evans mustache is amazing too bad he's a hawkeye. Oh and Mitchell Port won at 141 because Mitchell Port is a bad mf'er

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

Prickly Pete posted:

Cool, your instructor is my teammate Aaron who moved from NYC to Portland a while ago. He is a great grappler and instructor.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
Has anybody seen Foxcatcher? I guess Mark is having a meltdown over it on the twitter.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

origami posted:

Has anybody seen Foxcatcher? I guess Mark is having a meltdown over it on the twitter.

I saw it, Mark is having a problem with the sexual overtones they show with the coach and him. I thought it was a good movie, worth watching.

cptInsane0
Apr 11, 2007

...and a clown with no head

Fozzy The Bear posted:

I saw it, Mark is having a problem with the sexual overtones they show with the coach and him. I thought it was a good movie, worth watching.

Weird. I didn't think the overtones were that bad. The coach was just a bit creepy. Good movie though.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

cptInsane0 posted:

Weird. I didn't think the overtones were that bad. The coach was just a bit creepy. Good movie though.

Imagine if the movie was about you, and you had friends asking "you did coke then let a creepy old guy grind and grunt on top of you?"

Also he was born in 1960 and was a jock. Probably doesn't have liberal views about homosexuality.

e: I didn't think it was that bad either. But I can see how Mark might take it.

Fozzy The Bear fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Jan 2, 2015

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."
Mark is a practicing Mormon the last I checked so yeah, probably not too happy with the drugs and homoeroticism

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
He should give them a go. Might lighten him up.

Miching Mallecho
May 24, 2010

:yeshaha:
In his book he says he did coke and did them with Du Pont. Mark's just being weird.

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

I find your lack of faith... disturbing
http://www.thepostgame.com/blog/men-action/201411/foxcatcher-mark-schultz-john-du-pont-secrets-movie-tatum-ruffalo

quote:

SCHULTZ: Du Pont was so weak, he couldn't defend himself against anybody. That's why he carried a gun around. It was like Richie Rich, all grown up and hooked on drugs. That is exactly what Du Pont was like. At one point I actually thought he cared about me, but it was a weird feeling, like there might have been something sexual to it.

TPG: What do you mean?

SCHULTZ: I told him this story one time about my very first match at Oklahoma. It was against Don Shuler. I was beating him 4-0, and this was the only match I never won at home. He reversed my hand, and he had my hand pinned down against his groin. His testicles were in my hand, so I just squeezed my hand and he popped off like a champagne cork. I only gave up two points instead of four and I tied him.

When I told Du Pont that story, his eyes lit up, like "Oh, you mean it's acceptable to grab someone's balls?" No, it's not. It's a one-time thing that happened. And then he invented this move called the 'Foxcatcher Five.' I almost named my book after this. Basically, it was just him grabbing someone's balls. One time, he came up to me and was like "Here comes the Foxcatcher Five" and I looked at him like, "You touch me and you're dead."

No homo, though

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Wait, you're not meant to touch dudes junk?! What's the drat point of grappling then?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

BlindSite posted:

Wait, you're not meant to touch dudes junk?! What's the drat point of grappling then?

You gotta leave room for Jesus when you're giving them the good ol' Christian side-hug-based fighting arts.