Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

devmd01 posted:

Oh yeah, I kind of forgot about that. In that case, strip his goddamn license.

In the whole Monza bit, the random move towards the outside of the track under braking was the scariest part. That's a great way to get on the grass and swing the nose into unprepared wall at high speed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Dudley posted:

Yeah it's one of the reasons LeMans and especially Nurburgring's 24hr races own.

That's pretty amazing since GT3 cars don't race at Le Mans or in the WEC and the convergence talks between SRO and the ACO broke down in a complete shambles.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

GTE and GT3 are the same thing to everyone except the people having pointless arguments about it.

They're both

harperdc posted:

a formula where the cars are balanced, they resemble the road versions, they're relatively cost-effective compared with other options, and they're fast enough for pros to drive and easy enough to amateurs to get behind the wheel of as well.

Dudley fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Dec 21, 2014

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
Not really. There's no GT3 homologation spec that manufacturers can build cars for, and there's much less performance balancing in GTE, and the cars aren't nearly as easy to drive, nor as cheap. Words matter, otherwise we can all just sit around talking about how awesome it is to see those NASCARs race at Monaco and Le Mans. After all they've all got four wheels and a driver and it's not like the difference really matters to most people.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I've heard GTE is a whole hell of a lot easier to drive than most GT3s (by Townsend during last years Daytona coverage, for example), thanks to the fact that they still allow traction control and adaptive grip. Which is both dumb+bad, in my EVER SO HUMBLE opinion. e: poo poo, i'm dumb, GT3 has traction control too. its the old GTD spec I'm thinking of. Traction control still sucks.

Also I bet the better rubber doesn't hurt, stateside anyway

Regardless, GTE will stay around as long as the manufacturers want it to. Although it wouldn't surprise me to see it get enveloped in the GT3 wave.

Cygni fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Dec 21, 2014

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

GT3 is a less traditional format, wherein you build it and then SRO will balance it to a benchmark to be as fair as possible to the whole field (so that the Bentley and the Audi R8 both can go around a track at roughly the same lap time in the hands of the same driver). GTEs are still built to a stricter rule set AND THEN given performance balances based on the results in the race. I don't think GT3s are quite as performance-balanced due to the upgrade limitations too.

Allowing traction control is one of the ways they make it more approachable to those gentlemen racers, and honestly by now since it's such ubiquitous technology it looks foolish to leave it out of racing. I know there should be a purity to racing, but these are street-based machines, and at a certain point it just looks like an ostrich with its head in the sand to ignore things like TC and ABS.

Xisticide
Nov 27, 2005
Part of the confusion is the 2 classes being so close over a single lap, the ELMS have to force the GTC (GT3) class to the back by giving them tiny fuel tanks. I'd like to see the GTE regs being changed to speed them up a bit.

Also someone really needs to come up with a new standarised set of names because having at least 7 names (GTE, GTLM, GT3, GTC, GTD, SP-Pro and SP9 off the top of my head) to describe 2 and a half near-identical classes of car is ridiculous.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

Cygni posted:

I've heard GTE is a whole hell of a lot easier to drive than most GT3s (by Townsend during last years Daytona coverage, for example), thanks to the fact that they still allow traction control and adaptive grip. Which is both dumb+bad, in my EVER SO HUMBLE opinion. e: poo poo, i'm dumb, GT3 has traction control too. its the old GTD spec I'm thinking of. Traction control still sucks.

Even P1 cars have traction control.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

drgitlin posted:

Even P1 cars have traction control.

I hate the P1 regs too. :shrug:

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Cygni posted:

I hate the P1 regs too. :shrug:

they're the best since the Group C days, it's allowing for multiple ways to meet the same goal. it's awesome. unless you just hate prototypes, in which case any formula is going to be bad.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I like P2/DP/PC, but P1 does nothing for me. I know other people digem and that's cool, but I'm legitimately sad manufactures have come on board because I was hoping it would die sooner rather than later. I dislike pretty much every aspect of the spec, honestly. Different strokes.

It looks like it will be around for a while, so I'll just be POUTING for years while yall enjoy it, anyway. :saddowns:

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Prototypes seem to me to be in the best spot when the cars are expensive enough to feature top shelf technology, but cheap enough that a large pool of privateers can also access those cars. Along with that you need them to be not too complicated so that the privateers can also have a legitimate shot to win.

The first year or two of GT1 is like, the ideal situation. Make a new GT1 strictly homologated, no less than 500 cars per year built for sale to the public, must meet both European and EPA specs. Adjust all rules as accordingly, do not budge one inch on number of cars required to sell.

poo poo would own.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

Cygni posted:

I like P2/DP/PC, but P1 does nothing for me. I know other people digem and that's cool, but I'm legitimately sad manufactures have come on board because I was hoping it would die sooner rather than later. I dislike pretty much every aspect of the spec, honestly. Different strokes.

It looks like it will be around for a while, so I'll just be POUTING for years while yall enjoy it, anyway. :saddowns:

I just don't like the design is heading in P1 or P2. It just looks extremely complicated for the sake of looking extremely complicated and built in confined design lines like the goofy wedge front fenders. If you've seen Jalopnik's maybe leak of the GT-R LM, It's cool it's a front mid-engine car, but it looks really goofy looking and closer to the Panoz Esperante than a GT-R.

Why I'll take GT1 again with stricter homologation and let all the manufactures go nuts.

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008
I like how over the top P1's are. I like the idea of them being sportscars to the max. That being said, a return to GT1 style rules wouldn't upset me, or maybe just actual homologation rules for the current spec. I bet you'd have plenty of Saudi/Emirati upper crust in line to buy a roadgoing R18

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

BMB5150 posted:

I just don't like the design is heading in P1 or P2. It just looks extremely complicated for the sake of looking extremely complicated and built in confined design lines like the goofy wedge front fenders. If you've seen Jalopnik's maybe leak of the GT-R LM, It's cool it's a front mid-engine car, but it looks really goofy looking and closer to the Panoz Esperante than a GT-R.

Why I'll take GT1 again with stricter homologation and let all the manufactures go nuts.

That wasn't a leak, that was someone at Jalopnik reading Mike Fuller's post (http://www.mulsannescorner.com/newsnov14.html) and then sketching something that they thought might be the car, while simultaneously not actually understand what Fuller wrote.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
P1 is the only technically interesting class in endurance racing

Xisticide
Nov 27, 2005

drgitlin posted:

That wasn't a leak, that was someone at Jalopnik reading Mike Fuller's post (http://www.mulsannescorner.com/newsnov14.html) and then sketching something that they thought might be the car, while simultaneously not actually understand what Fuller wrote.

Why do both headlights point left? Is it supposed to go oval racing in the dark?

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Xisticide posted:

Why do both headlights point left? Is it supposed to go oval racing in the dark?

Its what people like to call 'hosed perspective'

geonetix
Mar 6, 2011

Or the daytona 24h.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

lol

Also Andretti probably joining PWC with Nissan backing, series expecting something like 35 GT cars next year. Andretti looking at joining lawmower racing. Andretti looking at joining ChumpCar. Andretti looking at joining your sons carpet Hot Wheels racing league. "I have a loving problem" - Andretti

http://www.racer.com/pwc/item/111974-andretti-nissan-gt-r-program-gaining-momentum

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

Cygni posted:

Andretti looking at joining lawmower racing.

"Marco, go mow the lawn."

"But daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaad"

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008

Cygni posted:

lol

Also Andretti probably joining PWC with Nissan backing, series expecting something like 35 GT cars next year. Andretti looking at joining lawmower racing. Andretti looking at joining ChumpCar. Andretti looking at joining your sons carpet Hot Wheels racing league. "I have a loving problem" - Andretti

http://www.racer.com/pwc/item/111974-andretti-nissan-gt-r-program-gaining-momentum

Jesus. They're gonna have to start putting a field cap for PWC.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Cygni posted:

lol

Still shocked he hasn't attempted Cup yet.

Bet money that he's waiting for Jarrett to move up and John will head up that operation.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

I think he realises that Nascar, and indeed F1 could both cost enough to bring down the rest of the empire. In general he's expanding into lower (than Indycar) cost motorsport where he already has good backing. The GRC program for example, 2 good main sponsors and reasonably cost effective even before the effort VW is putting in for him.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Dudley posted:

I think he realises that Nascar, and indeed F1 could both cost enough to bring down the rest of the empire. In general he's expanding into lower (than Indycar) cost motorsport where he already has good backing. The GRC program for example, 2 good main sponsors and reasonably cost effective even before the effort VW is putting in for him.

I think if customer cars ever make a comeback in F1? We'll see an Andretti Autosports entry. But, correct, cost is too much.

Still...what the guy is doing is incredible to say the least.

Speaking of bad rear end ex-IndyCar drivers? Robby Gordon just posted this about Dakar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQWiIFVPBdU

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

FuzzySkinner posted:

I think if customer cars ever make a comeback in F1? We'll see an Andretti Autosports entry. But, correct, cost is too much.

Still...what the guy is doing is incredible to say the least.

Yeah there's the other thing about F1, even with a sponsor it's difficult because of the sheer infrastructure means you really need to make a multi year commitment.

Nascar is kinda the same, you need multiple cars and types of cars to run a season and it requires a level of space and personnel that the other programs simply don't. He could partner of course.

I'd like to see them try almost anything. Good, professional teams run by people who love racing for the purposes of going racing are more of a rarity than they should be. Indycar is actually kinda blessed with them, in that I don't think there's a team I wouldn't classify as that. Whereas in F1 you can only really count Williams, McLaren and Sauber in that genre.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

McLaren not so much anymore.

And i would love to see customer cars come back. Just make a rule that their positions don't count towards the WCC or make a seperate Teams Champonship and only have the top 2 cars from a single constructor count towards the WCC (So say Ferrari finishes 1st and 4th at a race and a team running a customer Ferrari places 3rd and 10th, only 1st and 3rd count towards the WCC)

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Yeah, that's broadly what I've proposed a few times in various forms in this thread.

That and if you turn up with a car you built you're guaranteed a starting spot even over faster customer cars.

i.e - 20 manufacturer and 8 customer turn up, only 6 of the customers are starting regardless of speed. Although the people who DO start would still start in speed order.

The whole thing can be boiled down to "Allow customers, protect manufacturers"

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Customer cars are a great side effect of homologation, but I still think homologation itself is the easiest way to force both cost controls and customer car availability on unwilling manufacturers.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Well you're back talking about sportscar racing rather than F1 there and I totally agree.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
It would be impossible to have homologation for F1, and honestly being the peak technological racing series, cost cutting (and to an extent, customer cars) shouldn't ever be a thing. Sports cars absolutely should use homologation and customer cars. Gentlemen drivers are usually the only reason why sports car sanctioning bodies, and the sports car manufacturers themselves who build high end sports cars for them, exist. Bring it back to the days when you could buy a street Ferrari, drive it to the track, prep it, beat the factory guys and drive home. Obviously no one would actually drive a proto on the street to get to the track, but the general idea should ring true.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
F1 did have customer cars though, and until the early 80s it was not uncommon for privateers to use old chassis. None were very successful though... In addition to that, teams have used outside agencies (Lola, Dallara, Venturi) to build chassis for them, and some teams shared designs (Super Aguri, the final Ligiers).

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Exactly, F1 NOT having customer cars is a recent thing, very recent if you define it as "Team didn't build the car" rather than "Another team built the car".

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
I don't think that should be banned or anything, but it's definitely not as crucial to the sport like it is in sports car racing.

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008
Just wanted to remind everyone that Dakar starts this Saturday and it'll be great.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

George Zimmer posted:

Just wanted to remind everyone that Dakar starts this Saturday and it'll be great.

:siren: DAKAR PREVIEW :siren:

Corney hype video from the corrupt french organizers!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZZ2mcltT0g

Cars - Prolly my fav event of the year, but a reminder that the Minis are absolutely evil shitlords who ruined last years race and XRaid should die, so you should be rooting against them at every possible moment even though there is a hundred of them. No seriously, I think they are bringing like 11 of the loving things. Nani Roma is back in one, along with horrible human Nasser Al-Attiyah, but most of their good drivers have fled because... as noted... they are evil shitlords.

There will be factory Peugeot's with a ridiculously good lineup (Peterhansel/Sainz/Cyril Depres in a car this time), but nobody knows how they will do. Toyota is back with some factory Hiluxes, but only Giniel de Villiers as a name driver. And of course, Robby will be there. :getin:

On bikes, Marc Coma will win unless he gets hurt. There are 168 bikes entered and of those like 60 are works programs or have works support... but nobody is going to beat Coma/KTM unless something goes horribly wrong.

In trucks, its Kamaz vs Iveco again, with Kamaz still being mean angry russians and Iveco being cheating elitest lucky sperm club assholes. Basically root for Ales Loprais in a MAN cause his truck says MAN on it.

Also this year, both trucks and cars will have marathon stages (overnight stops in the desert where drivers aren't allowed to work on their cars or have their support trucks around), and thats loving awesome.

In the US, it will be on NBC Sports again with half hour daily highlights that are like 2 days behind. As always, if you have access to the hour long euro dailys via 'certain websites' they are generally of better quality and you can normally get them and watch them before the US version catches up. They also take the time to show the privateers and cover their stories which are way more interesting than the works programs anyway.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

NBC Sports made a two part special on Robby's preparing for the Dakar if you're interested. Its really really long but a good thing to listen to at work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQWiIFVPBdU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2agiCfzLlo

If youre wondering why you should root for Robby, just search 'robby gordon dakar crash' on youtube and scroll back through his hilarious history. I was gonna link em all here but seriously there are like a hundred.

geonetix
Mar 6, 2011

The new peugeot 2008 got me some fizzy feelings. Looking forward to see it rolling around in the desert.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Have a random piece by Pete De Lorenzo on the state of American racing today.

It's a pretty decent read.

e-

quote:

They’d go to smaller engines, take the restrictors off, and remove about 30 rows of seats at every superspeedway they run on. That absurd nastiness called restrictor-plate racing has to stop, before somebody gets killed.

:smug:

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jan 3, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

It was a good read until he derailed into "goddamn kids" and Formula E bitching, then it turned into:

• Locked thread