Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dystram
May 30, 2013

by Ralp

Lumius posted:

Yes, I've read a collection of his short stories. I really enjoyed them; a friend read the postgirl or whatever that one was and loved it. Definitely a 20th century writer, sort of reminded me of W G Sebald but less ethereal.

I was thinking of picking this up - http://www.amazon.com/Collected-Stories-Stefan-Zweig/dp/1782270035/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1419313301&sr=8-1&keywords=Stefan+Zweig

I also have "The Other Side" by Alfred Kubin on my Kindle. Is it worth a read?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lumius
Nov 24, 2004
Superior Awesome Sucks

Dystram posted:

I was thinking of picking this up - http://www.amazon.com/Collected-Stories-Stefan-Zweig/dp/1782270035/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1419313301&sr=8-1&keywords=Stefan+Zweig

I also have "The Other Side" by Alfred Kubin on my Kindle. Is it worth a read?

It's not the same collection as I read, thiis seems to be 22 short stories and "selected stories" was 4 novellas and 2 short (I think). I'd still recommend him but I should add im a huge fan of short stories. I havent read any Kubin so I can't comment. (sebald rules though)

Antwan3K
Mar 8, 2013

WAY TO GO WAMPA!! posted:

I really liked that one, did you recommend it in some thread a year ago or something? I heard about it around here from someone.

I may well have...

With regards to Zweig, I really enjoyed his autobiography The World of Yesterday.

Just started Wolf Hall myself. Like it a lot from the first chapters.

Antwan3K fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Dec 23, 2014

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

Dystram posted:

Anyone ever read any Stefan Zweig?

I read Chess Story when I was (briefly) into chess, back then I missed most of the allegory but still liked it

Falstaff Infection
Oct 1, 2014

Antwan3K posted:

Just started Wolf Hall myself. Like it a lot from the first chapters.

I like Hilary Mantel a lot as well, although by favorite book of hers is actually A Place of Greater Safety, which is about the French Revolution and the Terror. The POV characters are Robespierre, Danton, and Desmoulins. Wolf Hall is good, too, although I must admit it's a bit confusing, what with every third character named Thomas.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

QBAFCARSRL thread, what are your thoughts regarding the term "middlebrow literature"?

Full disclosure: I'm probably midbrow in terms of taste in most things but respect the avant garde. I enjoy Cormac McCarthy, The Wire, Game of Thrones and There Will Be Blood. I tried to read Infinite Jest, but it was like stepping into the wrong lecture room in college mid-semester and trying to keep up. Currently reading Life of Pi. It's OK. Anyways, I come in peace, QBAFCARSRL thread. I plan on reading some Pynchon and Dostoevsky this year.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

fozzy fosbourne posted:

QBAFCARSRL thread, what are your thoughts regarding the term "middlebrow literature"?

Full disclosure: I'm probably midbrow in terms of taste in most things but respect the avant garde. I enjoy Cormac McCarthy, The Wire, Game of Thrones and There Will Be Blood. I tried to read Infinite Jest, but it was like stepping into the wrong lecture room in college mid-semester and trying to keep up. Currently reading Life of Pi. It's OK. Anyways, I come in peace, QBAFCARSRL thread. I plan on reading some Pynchon and Dostoevsky this year.

It's on a case by case basis

I think that McCarthy is good

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

fozzy fosbourne posted:

You seem to imply that highbrow is the same as convoluted postmodernism. Better writers than Pynchon and Foster Wallace exist whom you might like and who are not difficult to understand.

Antwan3K posted:

I am going to pimp yet another Dutch guy, WF Hermans for everyone who likes Camus (esp. The Darkroom of Damocles). If there is such a thing as existentialist literature, it's an emblematic example

Yeah WF Hermans is good. I don't really like Mulisch much as far as Dutch writers go, but I love Nescio, Hermans, Voskuil and guilty pleasure Marten Toonder.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Shibawanko posted:

You seem to imply that highbrow is the same as convoluted postmodernism. Better writers than Pynchon and Foster Wallace exist whom you might like and who are not difficult to understand.

I think Pynchon gets a reputation as being "convoluted" due to Gravity's Rainbow, which can certainly be a challenge, but several of his other books are pretty straightforward and not at all hard to understand.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Earwicker posted:

I think Pynchon gets a reputation as being "convoluted" due to Gravity's Rainbow, which can certainly be a challenge, but several of his other books are pretty straightforward and not at all hard to understand.

I actually think V. was his best book and it got less good from there, V. is basically an interesting take on Hoffman's Der Sandmann with more likable characters, his political writing from that period was also more engaged with working class and anti racist struggle and it just seems less "postmodern" in the way we would understand it today, except in terms of style. The more straightforward, later books like Inherent Vice veer too much into Hunter S. Thompson hippie nostalgia territory for me, so I wouldn't recommend those for that reason.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Shibawanko posted:

I actually think V. was his best book and it got less good from there, V. is basically an interesting take on Hoffman's Der Sandmann with more likable characters, his political writing from that period was also more engaged with working class and anti racist struggle and it just seems less "postmodern" in the way we would understand it today, except in terms of style. The more straightforward, later books like Inherent Vice veer too much into Hunter S. Thompson hippie nostalgia territory for me, so I wouldn't recommend those for that reason.

I like Against the Day quite a lot, and it had a lot of interesting stuff about labor struggles and anarchists as well but I also enjoyed his take on pulp adventure stories.

I have not read Inherent Vice yet and but I have heard from several other people that the hippie nostalgia thing is kind of irritating and sounds like he's "trying too hard".

Crying of Lot 49 is also a fun read IMO and not at all hard to understand.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Yeah, I was going to start with V or maybe Crying of Lot 49 based on earlier discussion in this thread.

quote:

Yeah, I've been reading essays about middlebrow literature, this thread, and capital L literature and I'm pretty confused to be honest. Sometimes Literature reminds me of squats and the weightlifting threads from a few years ago. :D

If I like the following and wanted to try to expand my horizons ever so slightly, what would you suggest:
Cormac McCarthy
Philip K Dick
Steinbeck
Solaris
The Godfather
Game of Thrones (first 3 novels)
Dune
Silence of the Lambs
Mary Shelley's Frankenstein
Paul Thomas Anderson movies

I think I'm more interested in contemporary fiction.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Yeah, I was going to start with V or maybe Crying of Lot 49 based on earlier discussion in this thread.

Yeah, I've been reading essays about middlebrow literature, this thread, and capital L literature and I'm pretty confused to be honest. Sometimes Literature reminds me of squats and the weightlifting threads from a few years ago. :D

If I like the following and wanted to try to expand my horizons ever so slightly, what would you suggest:
Cormac McCarthy
Philip K Dick
Steinbeck
Solaris
The Godfather
Game of Thrones (first 3 novels)
Dune
Silence of the Lambs
Mary Shelley's Frankenstein
Paul Thomas Anderson movies

I think I'm more interested in contemporary fiction.

If you like Steinbeck, I recommend Pearl S. Buck's The Good China. If you like Philip K. Dick, read Kurt Vonnegut's Slaughterhouse-Five and Player Piano. If you like Frankenstein, read Dracula by Bram Stoker, Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë and Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I primarily read stuff that is intellectually pleasing, like DFWallace, Pynchon, DeLillo, etc. I'd like to look at something that is beautifully written (i love language) and emotionally centered. Something that will make me want to keep turning pages because I love the characters. I've never read Hemingway, for one, though I'm not sure how much I'm interested in reading something so minimalist.

edit: modern is good, too.

blue squares fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Dec 24, 2014

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

blue squares posted:

I primarily read stuff that is intellectually pleasing, like DFWallace, Pynchon, DeLillo, etc. I'd like to look at something that is beautifully written (i love language) and emotionally centered. Something that will make me want to keep turning pages because I love the characters. I've never read Hemingway, for one, though I'm not sure how much I'm interested in reading something so minimalist.

Same but my favorite writer is Raymond Carver

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Has anybody read any of the "My Struggle" series by Karl Ove Knausgård? Been reading a bit about them and it seems right up my alley.

Nitevision
Oct 5, 2004

Your Friendly FYAD Helper
Ask Me For FYAD Help
Another Reason To Talk To Me Is To Hangout

Earwicker posted:

I have not read Inherent Vice yet and but I have heard from several other people that the hippie nostalgia thing is kind of irritating and sounds like he's "trying too hard".

Inherent Vice has both noir and hippie-nostalgia aesthetics on the surface but uses them to kind of undermine both conventions IMO. It's not as simple a book as "I miss the sixties." Themes of people realizing the tackiness of hippie ideals, hippies being manipulated by G-men smarter than them, mainstream folks adopting elements of the hippie movement, stoners and cops forming strange fellowships, and traditional societal structures providing recovery and rebirth after drug abuse and self-neglect.

Boatswain
May 29, 2012

blue squares posted:

edit: modern is good, too.

From what I've been reading lately: Sebald, Marias, Melville, Salter, Yourcenar, Gracq.

E: & Coetzee, who people accuse of being distant and cerebral but I find to be very moving.

Boatswain fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Dec 24, 2014

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Smoking Crow posted:

Same but my favorite writer is Raymond Carver

All fiction books are for children, OP.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Boatswain posted:

From what I've been reading lately: Sebald, Marias, Melville, Salter, Yourcenar, Gracq.

E: & Coetzee, who people accuse of being distant and cerebral but I find to be very moving.

Yeah I agree about Coetzee, he only writes that way because most of his protagonists are cerebral cynics who come to experience some kind of ethical moment through suffering. Disgrace is very moving and the scene where he's interrogated by the school committee is pure joy, you get so much of infuriating contemporary ideology condensed in a few short conversations and there are a few moments in the prose where you suddenly feel anger and irritation coming through. It's only cerebral so that the shell can occasionally be poked through.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Actually I just realized that the last book I've read that fits that description is Freedom by Jonothan Franzen. What are some good family dramas like that? I've heard of the Wapshot Chronicle by Cheever. But I would prefer something written somewhat recently.

Boatswain
May 29, 2012

Shibawanko posted:

Yeah I agree about Coetzee, he only writes that way because most of his protagonists are cerebral cynics who come to experience some kind of ethical moment through suffering. Disgrace is very moving and the scene where he's interrogated by the school committee is pure joy, you get so much of infuriating contemporary ideology condensed in a few short conversations and there are a few moments in the prose where you suddenly feel anger and irritation coming through. It's only cerebral so that the shell can occasionally be poked through.

Well I think he writes that way because he is a cerebral cynic and found that he needs to keep himself at an emotional distance to write well. Sometimes he collapses the distance, when any emotion is most truly felt; c.f. Dostoevsky grieving his son, the Magistrate contemplating the treatment of the barbarians or his own torture, or Elizabeth Costello (or Coetzee himself in his nobel speech) speaking out on our treatment of animals.

His autobiographies are also affected in some way, he writes about himself more or less as a character in one of his novels.

e: James Salter isn't as interesting or good as Coetzee, but he writes very well in a very American way. His memoir Burning the Days was incredible.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Actually I bought Middlesex just now so I hope it's good!

Dystram
May 30, 2013

by Ralp

Lumius posted:

It's not the same collection as I read, thiis seems to be 22 short stories and "selected stories" was 4 novellas and 2 short (I think). I'd still recommend him but I should add im a huge fan of short stories. I havent read any Kubin so I can't comment. (sebald rules though)

Good to know. I enjoy short stories quite a bit, especially when starting out with a new author.

I'll pick up that collection I found on AZ.

Borneo Jimmy
Feb 27, 2007

by Smythe

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Cormac McCarthy

Glendon Swarthout's The Shootist

Boatswain
May 29, 2012

blue squares posted:

Actually I bought Middlesex just now so I hope it's good!

It is not, it is completely average with annoying characters.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

blue squares posted:

Actually I just realized that the last book I've read that fits that description is Freedom by Jonothan Franzen. What are some good family dramas like that? I've heard of the Wapshot Chronicle by Cheever. But I would prefer something written somewhat recently.

james Purdy wrote a lot about difficult family dynamics. I'd reccomend, say, The Nephew. Or house of the solitary Maggot if you're up for reading a book where someone gets crucified for their big dick.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Boatswain posted:

It is not, it is completely average with annoying characters.

I'm on page 75 and I love it.

Boatswain
May 29, 2012

blue squares posted:

I'm on page 75 and I love it.

Good for you, tell me how you feel on page 500 still reading the same poo poo :laffo:

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire
While I don't think the book hung together very well, the section titled "The Obscure Object of Desire" is really, really good.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

I finished Life of Pi and really enjoyed it, especially the ending. I found the pace to be a little pokey at times around the middle of the novel, probably trying to convey some of the experience of being alternately bored and terrified like a castaway, but it was mostly a breezy read. Some interesting ideas to chew on afterward that might make me think differently about story telling, rationalism, vegetarianism and civilized behavior.

I went into this book cold and didn't really know what to expect. It ended up being much heavier, thematically, than I was expecting. There were some very grotesque scenes in the book as well.

Going to read Crying of Lot 49 next.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Finished The Crying of Lot 49. I liked it! There were passages, especially at the outset, where I found the prose to be impenetrable and bewildering and it took effort to push on to the next scene, where Pynchon might be trying to establish a different mood or concept and the text would be gentler. It felt like much of the text was scattered puzzle pieces, and as you pieced them together it alternated between a parody of enlightenment and a jumble of different post-modern pieces that don't look like they come from the same puzzle but still fit together. But about halfway through it became mostly captivating and easy enough to read. I'm curious if a longer work like Gravity's Rainbow has even longer complex and slippery sections or if it has a similar pace to The Crying of Lot 49, just with more sections overall.

I'm still meditating on the ideas and my interpretation of the text, but my early thoughts can be summed up with ":thejoke:". I'll probably read some critical analysis after swishing it around in my own head for a bit longer today.

Edit: I feel like swerving back from Post-Modern Literature into something more "lit-fic" next, and I'd like to read something by a woman in either my next book or the following. I'll probably read either the The Adventures of Kavalier and Clay, The Handmaiden's Tale, Alias Grace, or The Secret History. Edit2: these are actually probably genre-fiction now that I think about it. Maybe I'll check out The Accursed

fozzy fosbourne fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Dec 29, 2014

UnoriginalMind
Dec 22, 2007

I Love You

Nitevision posted:

Inherent Vice has both noir and hippie-nostalgia aesthetics on the surface but uses them to kind of undermine both conventions IMO. It's not as simple a book as "I miss the sixties." Themes of people realizing the tackiness of hippie ideals, hippies being manipulated by G-men smarter than them, mainstream folks adopting elements of the hippie movement, stoners and cops forming strange fellowships, and traditional societal structures providing recovery and rebirth after drug abuse and self-neglect.

I have to recommend both Inherent Vice and Bleeding Edge. They're both pretty good books, though not as complex as Pynchon usually is. It works, though. Inherent Vice is deceptive in that it feels like a nostalgia trip, but is actually condemning the culture it's writing about more than it is praising it. Hippies and peaceniks were too busy getting high to accomplish what they truly wished to.

Also, come on, that waterbed scene MAKES the book. I can't wait to see it in the film.

ulvir posted:

good luck enjoying anything that isn't sci-fi or fantasy written by neckbeards

Nonsense! Dostoevsky's one of my favorites and he was captain of the Jesus Fan Club.

Ras Het posted:

For "a strong atheist" this sounds like a strangely evangelical protestant opinion.

The Abrahamic religions are similar, but they're still mostly mutually exclusive. Pi sounded like the "spiritual not religious" type and that sort of thing drives me nuts.

Smoking Crow posted:

What if I told u that God and Allah were the same guy
We both know that's an oversimplification.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

UnoriginalMind posted:

Pi sounded like the "spiritual not religious" type and that sort of thing drives me nuts.

I haven't read Life of Pi, but what exactly "drives you nuts" about spirituality outside the confines of organized religion?

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

I would say that spirituality (and storytelling) left to be interpreted however one wishes is very much in character for Pi.

UnoriginalMind
Dec 22, 2007

I Love You

Earwicker posted:

I haven't read Life of Pi, but what exactly "drives you nuts" about spirituality outside the confines of organized religion?

Whatever drives people to spirituality, I don't have it. Spiritual themes do not engage me. Just doesn't work

It's more the people I've met that've used the term "spiritual." I was in college at the time, for reference. They always seemed so self-serving. As if religion existed for them to cherry pick the parts they liked and divest them of their context. Pi sounded a lot like those people. Well, to me, anyway.

fozzy fosbourne posted:

I would say that spirituality (and storytelling) left to be interpreted however one wishes is very much in character for Pi.

I agree, to a point. At the same time, religion is bigger than any one person's interpretation of it. Religion, in a lot of cases, is a community-based endeavor. I feel like suggesting that spiritual meaning lying entirely with the individual ignores that community aspect too much.

UnoriginalMind fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Dec 29, 2014

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

UnoriginalMind posted:

It's more the people I've met that've used the term "spiritual." I was in college at the time, for reference. They always seemed so self-serving. As if religion existed for them to cherry pick the parts they liked and divest them of their context. Pi sounded a lot like those people. Well, to me, anyway.

I suspect your problem lies more with the mentality of college students than it does with spirituality itself.

That said, in my experience "cherry picking the parts they liked" is just as common within organized religion as without. For example, there isn't exactly a shortage of diehard Christians for whom church is a center of their life and identity, while they ignore many of the teachings of Jesus, and this tendency can be found among the adherents of pretty much any major religion. Religious people who follow all of the teachings of their religion to the letter are quite rare. People are simply more complex and inconsistent than texts.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Dec 29, 2014

UnoriginalMind
Dec 22, 2007

I Love You

Earwicker posted:

I suspect your problem lies more with the mentality of college students than it does with spirituality itself.

That said, in my experience "cherry picking the parts they liked" is just as common within organized religion as without. For example, there isn't exactly a shortage of diehard Christians for whom church is a center of their life and identity, while they ignore many of the teachings of Jesus, and this tendency can be found among the adherents of pretty much any major religion. Religious people who follow all of the teachings of their religion to the letter are quite rare. People are simply more complex and inconsistent than texts.

I agree on both counts.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

Earwicker posted:

Well put.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

i read after dark by murakami recently and there were some obvious hints to greater things going on in the book. are they explored in any of his other books or are they not connected?