Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Laserface posted:

I have a QA450 which I want to eventually be able to hang a GoPro on and film things. At the moment I just want the thing to fly so I can practice.

I also want a fast FPV setup in a 250 size so that will be later down the track. the KK board sounds like its better suited to that?

I have a Proto Estes FPV on the way so I will see how that pans out before I go dumping more money - I have a feeling that itll be good enough for my fast FPV fun.

The Estes Proto FPV is a nice quad. I've gotten the chance to play with it. You'll enjoy it.

For the camera platform, you're going to be looking at the $150-300 flight controller setups. Instead of the $15-50.

The KK board is better suited to a fast fpv rig. You'll need to keep an eye on exceeding it's roll and acceleration limits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

on the left
Nov 2, 2013
I Am A Gigantic Piece Of Shit

Literally poo from a diseased human butt

mashed_penguin posted:

A naze would be even better. the KK really has been superseded by the naze and cc3d.

Now that a CC3D is only $15.99 from Banggood, i'm never dealing with the constantly-breaking KKBoard screen again.

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

jadeddrifter posted:

I think I am going to go with the cheap one to start with.

Yeah, I saw someone selling the Hubsan X4 H107L for $40 shipped on Amazon today and grabbed it. Should tide me over for a while and the price was right.

TIme to look at batteries, chargers and crash packs now I guess?

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

So I got a Habsun x4 v2 (the one with camera) for xmas. As a completely new drone owner I was wondering if there are any complete newbie guides to this. The most important challenge I have at the moment, after 5-6 "flights", is that I can't keep the thing hovering. It always drifts slightly to the left side. Any ideas on how to fix this?

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

on the left posted:

Now that a CC3D is only $15.99 from Banggood, i'm never dealing with the constantly-breaking KKBoard screen again.

One of these days I'll need to pick up a CC3D. Flip32's are 16.. and someone here posted a Naze32 clone for $20.50.

LochNessMonster posted:

So I got a Habsun x4 v2 (the one with camera) for xmas. As a completely new drone owner I was wondering if there are any complete newbie guides to this. The most important challenge I have at the moment, after 5-6 "flights", is that I can't keep the thing hovering. It always drifts slightly to the left side. Any ideas on how to fix this?

There's a trim on the transmitter. But also keep in mind, there's nothing on most quadcopters to keep "absolute" position. air currents in the room are something you don't normally perceive, and the quadcopter is really stirring things up. If it's a small ish room, it'll "never" solidly hover.

I could do some demonstration videos of the differences between small rooms and large rooms, and then outdoors with these things.

A 250 quad makes enough air move under it to pick up and move throw rugs..

What i'm saying is "there probably isn't a fix that doesn't involve the pilot."

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

I tried adjusting the trim on the tx but find it difficult to figure out the right setting. I am practicing indoors at the moment due to lovely weather outside. The problem with adjusting the trim is that I'm trying to lift the quad slightly and quickly adjust the trim. But due to the heavy drifting I have like 2-3 seconds before I have to set the quad down or else I'll hit something. So I'm not really seeing the effect for each trim change I make.

I guess I should check the manual some more and figure out which trim adjustment I should use.

I'm well aware that I am the bottleneck in this, but it seems that I've got to compensate the drift far too much for even attempting to actually fly it :)

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Nerobro posted:

For the camera platform, you're going to be looking at the $150-300 flight controller setups. Instead of the $15-50.
Can you elaborate on this? I've gotten comfortable with my Hubsan X4 and want to build something Phantom-sized to put my GoPro on.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

LochNessMonster posted:

I tried adjusting the trim on the tx but find it difficult to figure out the right setting. I am practicing indoors at the moment due to lovely weather outside.

If you're flying inside, you're really looking at air currents in the room. You need to fly the quad. Use the sticks to fight the drift. 2 to 3 seconds is a LONG time when it comes to flying indoors. The only thing I've had that I've been able to ignore for longer than that is a coaxial heli.

Just fly the thing :-) Hovering is an advanced skill.

Erwin posted:

Can you elaborate on this? I've gotten comfortable with my Hubsan X4 and want to build something Phantom-sized to put my GoPro on.

So.. if you want to put your quadcopter somewhere, and leave it there. You're going to need to look at flight control systems that are beyond the "just plug it into the transmitter and forget it"

The DJI, ArduPilot, MultiWii Pro, Vector, and.. .well I haven't researched that group of controllers very closely. They all integrate GPS, and give options for altimeter, sonar, and other fun tricks to provide a stable film platform.

Vitamin J
Aug 16, 2006

God, just tell me to shut up already. I have a clear anti-domestic bias and a lack of facts.

Erwin posted:

Is there a parts list somewhere if I just want to build a quad copter without researching motor brands and propeller sizes and whatnot? I'd basically like to build something to slap my gopro on and dick around with. My budget is fairly high, but I know better than to, say, buy something for $800 that I could build in an afternoon for $200. I can solder and assemble, but I'd prefer not to spend more than say 8 hours putting it together. Is that realistic?
Yeah, sure. Buy a DJI F450 and E300 power kit and a DJI Naza. Simplest way to get into the air but required soldering, setup on a PC, and attention to detail.

$200 is about the going price for a basic flight controller without GPS like NAZA, Pixhawk, Vector, etc. The Naze32 or CC3D Multiwii, etc are much less money but require a lot more DIY work and customization to get to work as well. If you are good with electronics you can get the same frame and motors but get a $50 Naze32 and hook it up to a GPS but this requires some knowledge of arduino, USB TTL, and fidly soldering and also won't position hold as well.

Add another $200 for a decent gimbal.

You should just buy a used Phantom and fix it when it breaks/upgrade parts to learn.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Erwin posted:

If you want something that's capable of flying a per-programmed route whilss taking pictures, you'll need a more advanced flight controller.

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

Nerobro posted:

If you're flying inside, you're really looking at air currents in the room. You need to fly the quad. Use the sticks to fight the drift. 2 to 3 seconds is a LONG time when it comes to flying indoors. The only thing I've had that I've been able to ignore for longer than that is a coaxial heli.

Just fly the thing :-) Hovering is an advanced skill.

Sound advice, flying seems easier than keeping it still mid air. I just flew another few rounds and while some attempts go better than the others I still feel the side drifting effects the steering quite a bit more than I would like.

I tried several spots inside my living room but it always drifts to the same side, so indoor windstream seems unlikely.

I tried adjusting the aileron trim but I didn't really notice anything different.

Any ideas? (Or do I just need more practise).

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

You can get pretty heavy-handed with the trim settings.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

ImplicitAssembler posted:

If you want something that's capable of flying a per-programmed route whilss taking pictures, you'll need a more advanced flight controller.

Oh, I was just picturing manually flying around cool things and then watching the video later - but I guess it would be good to be able to step up to GPS capabilities?

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Erwin posted:

Oh, I was just picturing manually flying around cool things and then watching the video later - but I guess it would be good to be able to step up to GPS capabilities?

The full Naze 32 will give you barometer, accelerometer, barometer, etc, + GPS and is ~$50.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
gps is an addon for the naze32, so like $50 + $20 (also not very good compared to other FCs w/ gps)

Golluk
Oct 22, 2008
Another thing you can try is to calibrate the accel/gyro on a flat surface. Power everything up, put the X4 on a flat level surface, then hold the left stuck down and right, while moving the right stick left,right, left, right a few times. It should cause the lights on the X4 to flash a few times. Once they go solid again, its calibrated.

I'd set your trims back to neutral, then lift it up a good 3 to 4 feet, as far away from walls or other objects as you can. manually hover it in place, then let off the sticks for a moment. Bring it back, and quickly press the trim opposite the direction it went, roughly 3 times. So if it drifted left, add 3 clicks of drift right until it barely drifts. As others have said, you won't get it perfect, but I easily get mine to the point its only moving a foot every 5-10 seconds.

I'm not actually sure the quads are really affected by air currents, I can blow at mine while its hovering and it doesn't really move. Just tilts a bit to counter. My Heli on the other hand will move. I think the best system so far is the inspire with an over sized laser mouse system on the bottom to detect motion relative to the ground below it on the x/y, with sonar for z motion.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

If you think quad controls are squirrely, what about this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IANwb_qT1gg

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
heh, looks like I need to set some traps so I can get a backup pilot

Golluk
Oct 22, 2008
I'm actually surprised the squirrel stayed in it once it throttled up and started moving. I'm assuming it was just a stuffed toy afterwards.

joe944
Jan 31, 2004

What does not destroy me makes me stronger.
I'm such an idiot. Didn't realize that the video rx dominator module was backordered, and now the rest of my order won't be shipped out until mid January. :( Can't even start my build until then.

On the plus side, I'm getting pretty good in agility mode with the nano qx on the upgraded motors. My 180mah 45c batteries are only giving me 2-3 min of flight time, but man is that a fun 2-3 minutes. The nqx recovers so much better from falls, handles a little wind like a champ and is overall a lot faster. Lots of oscillations on a fresh batt in stability mode, but who wants to fly in stability anyways?

Captain Cool
Oct 23, 2004

This is a song about messin' with people who've been messin' with you
Can anyone tell me how to fake a lipo thermistor? I'm trying to run some (non-RC) 5V electronics with a LIR123A/16340 battery and this voltage booster. The actual output voltage is about 1V right after I connect the battery, and it decreases after that. I found one result online that said the thermistor is 10k to ground at room temp, but adding a 10k resistor didn't fix it.

Golluk
Oct 22, 2008
Got the Minion air born. I sure as hell hope I never fly this into myself or anyone. So far pretty stable and easy to fly inside. hovering at about 35% throttle or so.

Hmm. I think I better swap on the nylon lock washers, possibly get a prop balancer. Just saw a nut fall off the bottom of the quad while it was in the air...

Something a bit nerve racking about acro mode seeing that its just myself setting the quad level with little adjustments to its pitch and roll. I see why angle and horizon mode are so much easier.

Golluk fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Jan 1, 2015

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
new toy:

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Golluk posted:

Got the Minion air born. I sure as hell hope I never fly this into myself or anyone. So far pretty stable and easy to fly inside. hovering at about 35% throttle or so.

Hmm. I think I better swap on the nylon lock washers, possibly get a prop balancer. Just saw a nut fall off the bottom of the quad while it was in the air...

Something a bit nerve racking about acro mode seeing that its just myself setting the quad level with little adjustments to its pitch and roll. I see why angle and horizon mode are so much easier.

They are easier but sticking to rate mode is so worth it.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

I've got a 10mw transmitter, and 2 gram camera coming... It's going to be interesting.

edmund745
Jun 5, 2010
Can anyone familiar with the matter explain what is the issue with using aircraft radios for ground vehicles?
This thread:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1459579
says that Hitek tx and rx is the same for both land and air radios, but most other vendors are not.

What I am wanting here is an electric 4WD truck where 1 stick on a plane transmitter is set up as forward/reverse + left/right, and the other stick is tilt+pan control for an onboard camera.
If I buy a RTR truck can I put an aircraft rx + servos in it?

I've also seen indestructibles/videos ect where people have used an aircraft radio on a car by sticking an arduino in there doing,,,, something. ??? The main issue people mention is that you might have to flip a reverser switch on the radio to engage reverse. I've never had one of these kinds of RC cars so I don't know what the reason would be. It seems to be something with the way that the ESC for cars works, and what kinds of signals the tx can put out.

There are 4-channel land radios that exist but they don't appear to allow the same kind of control. They still just have trigger & knob and have some other way to use the other two channels, but it's not as convenient as having two joysticks would be.

Golluk
Oct 22, 2008
Just had a minor crash from around 1.5 feet up down onto concrete (flew into a small work table, landed mostly flat). once I realized I wasn't going to recover, I killed the throttle. It left a small nick in two props, but I'm noticing an intermittent low pitch pulse, and the quad seems far less stable, gaining or losing altitude as it tries to counter it. I've tried swapping out the nicked blades, and did a gyro and acc calibration, but I'm still getting it. Anyone experience anything similar?

Edit: Put in a fresh battery, and the problem went away. I think I was getting close to where the controller would want to shut down the motors due to low voltage. At least that is my best guess.

Golluk fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jan 1, 2015

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane
If you are using 2.4 ghz there is no reason other than packaging.

Back in the old analog days there were different frequency groups so that surface and air radios would not interfere.

The main difference is that land radios have a throttle with a spring return that centers it when released. It centers partway up so that you can have reverse. Aircraft dont tend to have reverse so they use 0-100 for throttle.

To do what you want I would connect the throttle to the elevator channel and the steering to the aileron. Then put the Pan/Tilt on the non return stick so that pitch can be set by the non-returning throttle and the pan is on the rudder channel and will center when released.

You will need to calibrate the car electronic speed control as they expect zero to be in a certain range it is not normally 50%.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Nerobro posted:

I've got a 10mw transmitter, and 2 gram camera coming... It's going to be interesting.

Yeah the one I built is 200mw on boscam A... but it turns out I wanted a tx that does E-band. Oops. Not that big a deal I guess. For $50-60 I can just build another

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane
The spektrum ultra micro FPV setup is pretty nice. Runs on a single cell out of the ox and weighs very little.
My Boscam screen detects it just fine and the signal is pretty decent for its low output.

A buddy of mine bought one and we ran it on my spacewalker after his P51 was too fast for the gym.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CA_9EkxlUs

I ordered one for myself so I'll have to try it out on my unusual assortment of flying machines.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

helno posted:

If you are using 2.4 ghz there is no reason other than packaging.

Back in the old analog days there were different frequency groups so that surface and air radios would not interfere.

The main difference is that land radios have a throttle with a spring return that centers it when released. It centers partway up so that you can have reverse. Aircraft dont tend to have reverse so they use 0-100 for throttle.

To do what you want I would connect the throttle to the elevator channel and the steering to the aileron. Then put the Pan/Tilt on the non return stick so that pitch can be set by the non-returning throttle and the pan is on the rudder channel and will center when released.

You will need to calibrate the car electronic speed control as they expect zero to be in a certain range it is not normally 50%.

Most good aircraft tx can be opened up and set to have both sticks be self centered (and even flipped while maintaining mode 1 / 2 /whatever). On the taranis its just a few screws you adjust, on the 9x its a chunk of plastic and a spring you can buy from a guy in australia (or probably 3d print locally)

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

I know this thread is more kit builds for multirotors but I just got my Inspire 1 and second transmitter delivered today :toot: and this thing looks incredible when compared with my phantom 2+ zenmuse gimbal and GoPro. I'm reading up on the manual well and will be taking it nice and slow for a bit.

Given the amount of stupidity that the common Phantom user demonstrates I am concerned about this platform. Too many dumb people with money are going to drive both the quad and the reputation of quad pilots into the ground. :negative:

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Given the amount of stupidity that the common Phantom user demonstrates I am concerned about this platform. Too many dumb people with money are going to drive both the quad and the reputation of quad pilots into the ground. :negative:

You're concerned. You're already exempt from that group.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

I'd like to think I'm exempt from the general group of phantom owners. I have made my career primarily within the hobby industry and have been at my current employer for 3 years so I'd like to say 'I know what I'm doing'. We have sold a pretty significant amount of phantoms and some of the tech calls and emails I receive on a daily basis are soul crushing at times.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I'm jealous, I really need to step up to an inspire.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Elendil004 posted:

I'm jealous, I really need to step up to an inspire.

So I maidened it. I'd like to make a more formal and informative post but I'll keep it brief since I'm phone posting

Ho. Lee. poo poo. This thing is incredible. It certainly takes attention on getting it set up correctly and will take a few flights to get the flying characteristics to feel natural. The app is as nice as the machine! For a 'free' app I am blown away at how much you can adjust on the fly and how much information is transmitted. Everything feels very high quality. The radio is awesome. It kind of has the refinement you'd expect from an Apple product. It's industrial in design but ergonomic.

The performance is how you would hope a $3000 bird costs. I'm not much for editing photos or videos but from what I could simply pull down through the app and modify on my iPhone I am more than impressed. The transforming arms are cool as hell for a party trick. First half of the battery was in 'beginner' mode. I turned it off to regular mode and it took me by surprise at the extreme flight angles that could be achieved. It is drat fast and responsive all while keeping the camera dead still. Through the app you can set a 'virtual' tether to not go further than X meters. When I hit the limit it was like I hit a wall! Very impressive. I can't wait to get more flights on it to see what it can really do.

There is no doubt in my mind that a metric buttload of people are going to destroy their camera through their own stupidity on the first flight and blame DJI. This is significantly more machine than a phantom and someone will probably end up on the news after they hit a human being (or worse) with one.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

After a few flights with my Hubsan, I've managed to go from bouncing it off the ground + crashing it to keeping it somewhat steady in the air. That ~8 minutes of flight time goes by quicker than I'd like.

I ordered some spare batteries about a month ago, but they haven't arrived yet. I'm thinking that my local post office has just destroyed the package because the package consists solely of 5 lithium batteries...

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Are the arms automatic or a toggle?

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

They are a toggle. There is a power button for the radio and to the right is a return home (which I don't dare do) button that has a 'ring' around it that you flip down or up for the arms. It's slick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

Going to double post :dealwithit: here are photos of my Phantom 2 compared to the Inspire 1