Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

The Bananana posted:

How many local 2 player games are there for the ps4, and are any of them good?

Nidhogg is the most fun I've had with couch local, and everyone seems to love it. It's simple, exciting, and it makes everyone yell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Nidhogg reminds me a lot of the Bushido Blade games and makes me wish we could get another one.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i wish nidhogg had some more depth. 4 maps, 1 fighter type, and a bunch of physics toggles and options that make the game harder to control shouldn't be msrp'd at 14.99 imo.

Follow That Fish!
Mar 8, 2007
Chaser of the stray sea-life, clad in a trench and a fedora.

Real hurthling! posted:

i wish nidhogg had some more depth. 4 maps, 1 fighter type, and a bunch of physics toggles and options that make the game harder to control shouldn't be msrp'd at 14.99 imo.

Well, this was discussed a lot in the game's own thread, but I still think Nidhogg wouldn't necessarily be better with more fighter types. I quite like the balance where everybody fights with exactly the same moveset, and there are no advantages or disadvantages between different characters. The gameplay is perfectly tuned like this.

More maps and modifiers would be nice though.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Follow That Fish! posted:

Well, this was discussed a lot in the game's own thread, but I still think Nidhogg wouldn't necessarily be better with more fighter types. I quite like the balance where everybody fights with exactly the same moveset, and there are no advantages or disadvantages between different characters. The gameplay is perfectly tuned like this.

More maps and modifiers would be nice though.

I'd like weapons beyond the foil (saber? epee?) though. even if both players had the same weapon

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

JetsGuy posted:

That's true, it's a gamble for owning movies too (because technically Apple/Amazon/whoever owns it).

Anyway, I know with the PGA Tour stuff, the downloads are just gone. I couldn't get the game anymore even though I had the download. It was PS3, so it didn't just disappear, but when the HDD died, the game died with it.

Are you sure it's not in your download list somewhere? I have a bunch of games that have been pulled from PSN, and although they're a pain in the rear end to find on my download list (which I have to use since there's no longer a store page for the game), they're there.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Has anyone played that golf game on the store? I think it has procedurally generated holes or something.

My brother is a big golf fan and asked me but I thought it looked a little chincy.

time is a wastin
Sep 11, 2011

Policenaut posted:

Nidhogg reminds me a lot of the Bushido Blade games and makes me wish we could get another one.

Bushido blade needs to be on the psn :pray:

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Squelch Hardon posted:

It is

but only in Japan as a PS1 classic.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Squelch Hardon posted:

Bushido Blade 2 and Saga Frontier are the only PS1 discs I kept since they aren't available digitally.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Actually both Bushido Blade games are available on the Japanese PSN, it's pretty nice. I got them on my PS3 and I boot them up every once in awhile, games are still cool. SaGa Frontier is on their PSN too and makes me wanna cry because Japan has all the cool PSOne classics.

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

Does anyone play Battlefield 4?

It's 30 bucks and I wanna know if it's worth that much, plus I like to play with Goons cause we laugh and cry and I love you all.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Policenaut posted:

I couldn't stand the art style or the announcer or the weird fighting game community inside jokes but mechanically, Divekick is pretty close.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

PUNKS DIET SODA posted:

It's 30 bucks and I wanna know if it's worth that much, plus I like to play with Goons cause we laugh and cry and I love you all.

I got the 12$ version and have only played about 20mins of the single player campaign, but it's got some great sound effects.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I got the 12$ version and have only played about 20mins of the single player campaign, but it's got some great sound effects.
Stop playing the stupid rear end single player campaign right now.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
The US PSX disks of Saga Frontier and Saga Frontier 2 are actually very cheap for 90s Square RPGs. Remember any PS3 will play PS1 games. :)

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

I would really prefer to play SaGa or any of those classic JRPGs on Vita over a console so that's why I hope someday Square-Enix would put the English versions out on the PSN. Then again, their treatment of SaGa on the PSN is weird as gently caress. You can only get the Romancing SaGa PS2 classic by purchasing a $40 commemorative jigsaw puzzle that includes a download card for the game, what the gently caress!?

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Samurai Sanders posted:

the bf4 campaign is one of the worst i've ever played and i've started to be glad it ate my save game

Delaio
Jul 14, 2012

Narcissus1916 posted:

On the off-chance anyone bought Nidhogg, how the heck do you cartwheel?

And are you using the dpad or stick?

Seeing as we're having nidhogg chat this wasn't answered from a few pages back. To cartwheel you alternate between pressing up and down while running forward. It gives you a little more distance when you attack.

Nidhogg is the best party game. I had two friends try it for the first time and they ended up having a 20 minute match that was really exciting. Tournaments are a blast as well.

Also, I prefer the d pad

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Samurai Sanders posted:

The one, true answer. I would only buy BF4 if you like online shooters - if you do, go hog loving wild. Nothing quite like it out there, still.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Neo Rasa posted:

The US PSX disks of Saga Frontier and Saga Frontier 2 are actually very cheap for 90s Square RPGs. Remember any PS3 will play PS1 games. :)

Huh not all PS3 are ps1 compatable I'm sure my slim doesn't play ps1 games. Unless I've been lied to.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I beat the campaign to both COD:AW and BF4 and enjoyed them. :colbert:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Skeezy posted:

Huh not all PS3 are ps1 compatable I'm sure my slim doesn't play ps1 games. Unless I've been lied to.

All PS3s are PS1 compatable.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Skeezy posted:

Not all PS3's are PS2 compatible, all PS3's are PS1 compatible. :eng101:

Manac0r
Oct 25, 2010

"Of all the things I have lost I miss my mind the most..."

Harlock posted:

Has anyone played that golf game on the store? I think it has procedurally generated holes or something.

My brother is a big golf fan and asked me but I thought it looked a little chincy.

If you mean Golf Club, it's actually pretty decent. It's very bare bones, in the sense there are no unlocks and character progression. The course creator is great and there is a lot of decent user made content. You can play against the ghost of friends or global people giving it a more competitive edge. The mechanics are solid, but it does suffer from very slight screen tearing but I am sensitive to that.

If it's going cheap it's worth a pickup. Definetely a chill game to de-stress with. Closest thing to Tiger Woods on the PS4.

matrix ripoff
Mar 16, 2005

~~~~~~~
i only suck dick in self defense
~~~~~~~
and at the bookstore
~~~~~~~
What was the real reason Sony decided to clip PS2 compatibility out of the PS3s? I seem to remember Sony saying that they could make cheaper PS3s if they cut out compatibility but that always sounded like bullshit to me.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Samurai Sanders posted:

Stop playing that stupid rear end game right now.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

PUNKS DIET SODA posted:

I've played a lot of multiplayer shooters and none have been as pure fun as bf4. It's not hyper competitive but if you're playing with goons it's an absolute blast.

There are people out there who hate it but I still haven't gotten a real answer to why. The netcode is bad? They finally fixed it so it's not an issue anymore. It's slow? The movement speed may be slower than some games but there's so many people that within 30 seconds of spawning you're bound to be in the middle of a crazy firefight.

PantsBandit fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Dec 30, 2014

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
I've got $60 in store credit and was gonna buy GTA (played it pretty thoroughly on PS3 but never touched the online modes and it's the kind of game I can always fire up and kill an hour or two in) but I didn't realize there was a sale going on. Would I be crazy to grab Alien: Isolation and The Evil Within? I don't mind weird, janky games as long as they're interesting

Dr Sun Try
May 23, 2009

Plaster Town Cop

matrix ripoff posted:

What was the real reason Sony decided to clip PS2 compatibility out of the PS3s? I seem to remember Sony saying that they could make cheaper PS3s if they cut out compatibility but that always sounded like bullshit to me.

so Sony could make cheaper PS3s

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

matrix ripoff posted:

The original PS3s basically had the guts of a PS2 inside, and those chips were still decently expensive. The second wave (and all PAL consoles) only had the CPU or GPU (I forget which) and used software emulation to fill the gap which wasn't as good, but 95% of games functioned fine.
All current PS3s have neither and entirely rely on software emulation, which is why only a select few games are released, I think their software emulators are individual for each game, there's no one size fits all setup.

That, and they wanted to drive PS3 software sales.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

matrix ripoff posted:

The only way they could get it to work was to include some physical PS2 bits so yeah, it made them cheaper to make.

Dead Man's Ham
Dec 2, 2002
On the topic of PS4 Couch Co-op I really like Little Big Planet 3. It is very samey to LBP2, but heck if its not cute, fun, and a great co-op game.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
One of the possible upshots of the holiday downtime is that Sony might prioritize PSX emulator integration for the PS4. It sure would be nice... along with bringing localizations of SaGa Frontier and Einhander to the U.S. Store.

On the topic of golf games, Hot Shots Golf is on its way to the PS4 and it's pretty damned fun.

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

Delaio posted:

Also, [in reference to Nidhogg] I prefer the d pad

Don't you find that when someone can properly use the analog stick they can change stances and attack much quicker?

I like the d-pad for it's precision but I was having trouble getting through the singleplayer while using it.

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

PantsBandit posted:

I've played a lot of multiplayer shooters and none have been as pure fun as bf4. It's not hyper competitive but if you're playing with goons it's an absolute blast.

There are people out there who hate it but I still haven't gotten a real answer to why. The netcode is bad? They finally fixed it so it's not an issue anymore. It's slow? The movement speed may be slower than some games but there's so many people that within 30 seconds of spawning you're bound to be in the middle of a crazy firefight.

Well I loved Bad Company 2 online and BF3 online. I've been out of the game loop for so long that I just needed to hear some feedback. If online is awesome, then I'll take it.

I'll look for the BF4 thread, but it someone could link it, it would be greatly appreciated.

Found it, thanks!

ARMBAR A COP fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Dec 30, 2014

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

goferchan posted:

I've got $60 in store credit and was gonna buy GTA (played it pretty thoroughly on PS3 but never touched the online modes and it's the kind of game I can always fire up and kill an hour or two in) but I didn't realize there was a sale going on. Would I be crazy to grab Alien: Isolation and The Evil Within? I don't mind weird, janky games as long as they're interesting

You'd be crazy to buy The Evil Within and not to buy Isolation.

Isolation is literally The Best Alien Game In Years™.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

PUNKS DIET SODA posted:

Well I loved Bad Company 2 online and BF3 online. I've been out of the game loop for so long that I just needed to hear some feedback. If online is awesome, then I'll take it.

I'll look for the BF4 thread, but it someone could link it, it would be greatly appreciated.

Found it, thanks!

BF4 is better than BF3 in pretty much every way possible.

Well besides attack helicopters being useless boats but what are you gonna do :v:

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax

goferchan posted:

Alien Isolation is definitely worth it if you like being scared and powerless and want to be in an Alien movie for 20 hours.

I bought Evil Within in the sale but haven't tried it yet. Everything I've read about it makes it seem like "RE4 but lovely" so we'll see!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manac0r
Oct 25, 2010

"Of all the things I have lost I miss my mind the most..."
While it might not be as effective as a Serbian death squad, seems the G-men are interested in what happened concerning Lizard squad and PSN/XBox live.

http://venturebeat.com/2014/12/30/fbi-confirms-lizard-squad-under-investigation-for-psn-xbox-live-attacks/

Might just be routine but one can hope.

• Locked thread