Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

bewbies posted:

Is anyone aware of a well regarded analysis about what *might have happened* between the navies of NATO and the WP in a non-nuclear war? Any time period between 1960 and 1990.

You mean something like the Naval War College's first few series of Global War Games?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

bewbies posted:

Is anyone aware of a well regarded analysis about what *might have happened* between the navies of NATO and the WP in a non-nuclear war? Any time period between 1960 and 1990.

A lot of submarines would have been blown up by other submarines shadowing them straight away.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

FAUXTON posted:

History of WWII by a guy whose name I can't recall. His voice isn't the greatest for a podcast and he seems to focus a little too much on Churchill's personal history (of course it could be considered acceptable background to explain his actions during WWII but I am not sure how his childhood qualifies) but it's quite detailed.
I tried it, and at least in the early episode I tried it's really clear he's just reciting a script.

But what made me delete it was the fact that he's apparently even worse than your average anglophone at pronouncing Japanese. :japan:

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Disinterested posted:

He was also fighting an unprepared force that was spectacularly out of its element.

Also an invading/occupying force. They were literally all over the place and coming from known headings so his job was to get in their path, hide behind a tree, and shoot officers without needing to be worried about a precision munition coming in. Given the environment at the time he would have been ridiculously tough to spot unless someone saw the muzzle flash, and he probably could have hauled rear end afterwards if it looked like someone saw it.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Disinterested posted:

A lot of submarines would have been blown up by other submarines shadowing them straight away.

How would a submarine know that the cold war went hot while it was tailing an enemy? My understanding was that submerged subs can't receive radio messages, and you can't stay hidden if you get to antenna depth. Don't tell that my extensive training with 688 Attack Sub has failed me?!

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Disinterested posted:

He was also fighting an unprepared force that was spectacularly out of its element.

Somebody needs to do an effort post reguarding the Red Army and other Soviet forces before the 2nd World War. I'd be into it. Especially over that weird war with Poland in the twenties.

Monocled Falcon
Oct 30, 2011
Did he single out officers? I thought he was going after anyone he could safety shot.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

This is a tangentially related question: Was the Cold War US ELF system exclusively reserved for communications with SSBNs, or was it used to talk to SSNs as well?

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

SeanBeansShako posted:

Somebody needs to do an effort post reguarding the Red Army and other Soviet forces before the 2nd World War. I'd be into it. Especially over that weird war with Poland in the twenties.

I'd happily blabber all about it, but looking at the sprawling nightmare of a post on Russian Civil War I'm cooking for the wargames thread, I'd appreciate having particular questions to answer (it's ok if they're very general or spergily specific).

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Tell me cool things about the Soviet-Japanese border conflicts. The more :spergin: the trivia, the better.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Lichtenstein posted:

I'd happily blabber all about it, but looking at the sprawling nightmare of a post on Russian Civil War I'm cooking for the wargames thread, I'd appreciate having particular questions to answer (it's ok if they're very general or spergily specific).

Can you discuss the Red Army's organizational shifts after the Spanish Civil War and Winter War, and where in the reorganization they were by WWII?

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

Siivola posted:

Tell me cool things about the Soviet-Japanese border conflicts. The more :spergin: the trivia, the better.

I'll start by telling you that if you haven't seen them, you need to go and find the hilarious Japanese illustrations there are of these. Also Russian pictures and lithographs of Port Arthur.

Disinterested fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Dec 30, 2014

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

xthetenth posted:

Can you discuss the Red Army's organizational shifts after the Spanish Civil War and Winter War, and where in the reorganization they were by WWII?

Is Winter War not part of the WWII?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Disinterested posted:

I'll start by telling you that if you haven't seen them, you need to go and find the hilarious Japanese illustrations there are of these. Also Russian pictures and lithographs of Port Arthur.

More hilarious than this Korean film on Khalkhin Gol?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuUR95-o_fw
(it's the best war movie ever made, the Korean guys then fight in Stalingrad and finally at Omaha Beach and it recycles every movie and game cliché there is)

Nenonen fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Dec 30, 2014

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Nenonen posted:

How would a submarine know that the cold war went hot while it was tailing an enemy? My understanding was that submerged subs can't receive radio messages, and you can't stay hidden if you get to antenna depth. Don't tell that my extensive training with 688 Attack Sub has failed me?!

With ELF you can send messages down to a few hundred meters underwater, which is essentially the entire depth range for an Ohio class sub (according to wikipedia anyway). The caveat is that the low frequency means you can't send more than a few characters each minute, so the the extent of what you can send is low. If you wanted to give specific orders to a particular vehicle, you'd need it to surface to receive a more complex message, and the ELF system would let you command them to do so. There could also be some code that means 'we are under attack, launch everything'.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Hogge Wild posted:

It was before the world conflict. Russia, Japan, and Germany had a gentlemen's agreement that none would interfere in the other's conquests.

Dr. Seuss was an awesome political cartoonist :allears:

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Benny the Snake posted:

It was before the world conflict. Russia, Japan, and Germany had a gentlemen's agreement that none would interfere in the other's conquests.

It confuses Togo with Tojo, but who cares!?

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Hogge Wild posted:

I meant when Barbarossa kicked off because it is kind of contemporary with WWII.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Benny the Snake posted:

I will not invade him with a goat, I will not invade him in a boat.
I will not invade him here or there, I will not invade him anywhere.
I will not invade him, Uncle Sam. I do not invade people for their land.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

New thread title found :golfclap:

edit:vvvv well i didnt have anything important to do this afternoon anyway v:v:v

Agean90 fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Dec 30, 2014

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
There are a lot more of Dr Seuss' political cartoons here. The vast majority of them are wartime comics and they're glorious

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

PUNCH MISTER HITLER RIGHT IN THE SNOOT

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Nenonen posted:

(it's the best war movie ever made, the Korean guys then fight in Stalingrad and finally at Omaha Beach and it recycles every movie and game cliché there is)

I should know better, but dear god, the comments on that. :stare:

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Anything Milhist at all on YouTube should have comments blocked forever. Some people make poor examples of themselves.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

SeanBeansShako posted:

Anything at all on YouTube should have comments blocked forever.

Han Feizi
Jul 20, 2014
Well I finally caught up on this thread. It's kept me entertained on many a long duty night. So for the past year or so I have been doing research on my paternal great grandfather. I grew up hearing stories about him from my grandfather but no one really knew anything about his service in WW1. After some digging I found out he was in the 26th Infantry division, 102nd Machine Gun Battalion. What threw me for a loop was the fact that he was Connecticut National Guard cavalry before the war, and I was under the impression the 26th was very divided on state lines. The CT units had no record of him but he showed up in the 102nd, which is from Vermont. He registered with CT, and was a standing member of CT guard. Can anyone shed some light on how or why this would happen?

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Nenonen posted:

Wasn't there supposed to be one Korean who actually went through all of that poo poo by getting captured a lot?

And, just to clarify that, Japanese tactics in Khalkhin Gol were a little more sophisticated than "C4 rush"... right? :ohdear:

Retarded Pimp posted:

I should know better, but dear god, the comments on that. :stare:

YouTube comments are a God forsaken place, so much so that I'm blocking them with ABP. The siren song of arguing wit people is usually too strong for me to handle, and it only ends in headaches.

That's why I unfollowed Funker530 on Facebook and have to fight the urge to read comments whenever NATO posts anything.

On a related note, this podcast sheds light on Japanese attitudes towards Chinese and vice versa.

LeadSled
Jan 7, 2008

JcDent posted:

Wasn't there supposed to be one Korean who actually went through all of that poo poo by getting captured a lot?

That would be Yang Kyoungjong, who must have felt like it was a giant cosmic joke by the time he was captured for the fourth time.

Poor guy gets swept up and drafted into the Kwangtung Army, who then decide to take a swipe at the Soviet Union during the Battle of Khalkin Gol. Unfortunately for them, some no-name general by the name of Zhukov shows the Japanese the error of their ways - as well as taking a bunch of prisoners captive. Yang then gets put into a labor camp, which was mobilized to the front when the Soviets were throwing everything they could at the Wehrmacht. Yang gets captured again, and ends up in an Osttruppen group on the Atlantic Wall.

In Normandy.

In June, 1944.

You see where this is going....

Dude ends up in the US after the war, has a family, and apparently tells NO ONE about this tale. Somehow it was found out after he died just how he happened to end up in the States after the war.

So, yeah, that Korean movie's just an exaggeration of one dude's poo poo luck.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
Also there's a marathon/running subplot in the film that's kinda dumb and weird.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Also there's a marathon/running subplot in the film that's kinda dumb and weird.

The best part is the D-day scene where theres a slo-mo reunite scene set to bombs blowing up everywhere in a poppy field complete with lens flare.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

JcDent posted:

And, just to clarify that, Japanese tactics in Khalkhin Gol were a little more sophisticated than "C4 rush"... right? :ohdear:

Well for one thing the whole "dive under a tank and blow yourself up" thing was first done (I think) by the Chinese at the Battle of Shanghai because all they had were small arms versus the Japanese, well, everything.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/secret-nazi-nuclear-bunker-discovered-in-austria-9948647.html

Looks like someone is having fun excavating an old Nazi weapons lab in Austria.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
The site is well know. It's unlikely that they find something sensational here, as the article might want you to believe.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

MrBling posted:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/secret-nazi-nuclear-bunker-discovered-in-austria-9948647.html

Looks like someone is having fun excavating an old Nazi weapons lab in Austria.

Antlions!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

bewbies posted:

Harpoon always made it seem like American CVBGs could fend anything the Soviets could throw at them.

The "Battleset" scenario packs kept saying that the way around a CVBG's defenses would be simultaneous, multi-dimensional attacks: cruise missiles from Backfire bombers, torps from SSNs, cruise missiles from SSGNs and cruise missiles from surface action groups, but the AI was never good enough to pull something like trying to line up a single Time-on-Target across multiple task forces with vastly different ranges and weapon speeds.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

gradenko_2000 posted:

Harpoon always made it seem like American CVBGs could fend anything the Soviets could throw at them.

It is what a lot of people spent a lot of time, money and effort creating them to do so it's not surprising that it works out that way in sim. Sims are great but they are only ever approximations, you have to actually do something to see where the 'gotchas' are.

Was there ever a response published by an OPFOR country (or major participant such as defecting senior officers) to the results of those Global War Game reports?

e: Reading through those naval war college war game reports it seems that they found that the CVBGs were able to operate effectively as long as the war remained conventional. That the early games were characterized by nuclear strikes against CVBGs because that was a known weakness but later games found that the rapid escalation to a nuclear option was probably not realistic.

Also, lots of red subs died very quickly.

Murgos fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Dec 31, 2014

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Koesj posted:

You mean something like the Naval War College's first few series of Global War Games?

This is perfect! Thanks.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

JaucheCharly posted:

The site is well know. It's unlikely that they find something sensational here, as the article might want you to believe.

The article wants you to believe it's a secret nuclear weapons lab when it's probably just an underground "Auxiliary" complex for ME-262 production.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Murgos posted:

It is what a lot of people spent a lot of time, money and effort creating them to do so it's not surprising that it works out that way in sim.

And also the sims tend to be written by Americans rather than Russians, of course. :P

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

feedmegin posted:

And also the sims tend to be written by Americans rather than Russians, of course. :P

Russian sims probably show that NATO point defense is insufficient to stop an all-out missile attack.

• Locked thread