Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EBag
May 18, 2006

Myrmidongs posted:

I went through mine to see if all these pictures were just an exaggeration. Nope. It's probably worse in person. The cards I have that are affected:

Spy Rogue role
Resistance Rogue role
Chief Fail cards
Reverser cards

The difference between Rogue Success and normal Success / Fail is there too, but is not nearly as bad -- you would have to look extremely closely for more than a few seconds to spot it, so I'm not too upset about those.

E: The differences are so bad on the others, I can take a bunch of cards, shuffle them, and pick out all of the chief fail and reverser cards every time.

Is this a problem with all the expansions? I only picked up Hidden Agenda from a LGS, but didn't look that closely at the cards before chucking them back in the box.

E: They seem to be fine, must be a KS edition or Hostile Intent problem.

EBag fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Dec 31, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Myrmidongs
Oct 26, 2010

EBag posted:

Is this a problem with all the expansions? I only picked up Hidden Agenda from a LGS, but didn't look that closely at the cards before chucking them back in the box.

Don't know, I got mine from the kickstarter.

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

Murr rgghhh ahhrghhh fffff

S.J. posted:

I'm aware of it, but I haven't heard anything good about it. It hasn't sold much at all where I work.

I did a mini review a page or two back. I enjoy it but I still haven't played it enough to know if there's any flaws down the line.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=ty_deal...rd_i=2241292011

Amazon year-end sale.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Dang, there's actually some decent games there. I might pick up Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small. Is Ghost Stories pretty simple to teach? I could use a decent "straight" co-op and I'm tired of Pandemic. The guy also made a game called Samurai Spirit but the release date keeps getting pushed back.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Samurai Spirit already came out, but they didn't publish enough in the first print run.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Countblanc posted:

Dang, there's actually some decent games there. I might pick up Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small. Is Ghost Stories pretty simple to teach? I could use a decent "straight" co-op and I'm tired of Pandemic. The guy also made a game called Samurai Spirit but the release date keeps getting pushed back.

He also made Hanabi :). Samurai Spirit released on CoolStuff last week.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.

S.J. posted:

Samurai Spirit already came out, but they didn't publish enough in the first print run.

I snagged a copy last week and it's actually pretty drat cool. Haven't beat it yet, but I really like how it plays. Haven't had an issue with quarterbacking yet, but as with all co-ops I can see where it could happen.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

I would've picked it up but we were pretty under allocated, so I gotta wait for another print run. It does look solid though, and seems like it would play relatively quick.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Oh dang, my bad. I might just pick that up instead, it seems super easy to explain as you play which is a huge plus for a co-op (for me at least, since I generally use them to play with more casual people)

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

:unsmigghh:

It's official. Nobody should ever give money to IB&C.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Yowza, that's hosed

Countblanc posted:

only played ghost stories the once, but I remember it being reasonable to teach. It's definitely more complex than pandemic, but it's still not super hard to teach IIRC.

e: oh, how was tzolk'in? only game in that sale that i'm both interested in and doesn't belong to me or a friend

Fungah! fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Dec 30, 2014

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I've only played Tzol'kin once and had no idea what I was doing, but it felt like a fun and interesting take on worker placement.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

NuclearPotato posted:

While we're on the subject of Dominion, I got the Alchemy expansion for Christmas, which I'm jazzed about, since it means I never have to pony up any money to buy Alchemy. :v: (I also got Agricola :unsmith:). So, two questions:

1: What, precisely, are the major flaws of Alchemy?

2: I've heard there are one or two good cards in the expansion. Which ones are those?

Apprentice is the best card in the expansion and one of the best in the game. Alchemist and Golem have some interesting interactions, and Apothecary has one or two powerful combos, Familiar is ridiculous. The rest aren't amazing, though I'd disagree with Broken Loose's interpretation of University; it has some very interesting interactions with draw-to-x-cards cards and power 5s like Lab, Hunting Party, Minion etc. The rest aren't much cop, and the potion costs are awkward. broadly speaking a potion is ABOUT 3 money's worth, but that's not strictly true. Just having potions in play does have some occasionally interesting interactions with cards which care about money or unique cards though. But overall, apprentice aside, it's probably the worst set IME, though I've not played Guilds.

Today I tried three new games - the intro game of Dungeon Lords, which i heartily enjoyed and in which I came second. It broke my frigging brain trying to optimise my action choices though arg seriously. great game though, really want to try the expansion out at the next possible opportunity.

Praetor was an OK WP game with a couple of interesting mechanics, which I massively hosed up but would be interested to play again.

[b]Love Letter/b] was quick, fluffy, very portable fun, to the point where I'm seriously considering getting a copy and just keeping it in my backpack.

I'd love to try T'zolkin, especially as I have the mini-expansion for it that came in DL Anniversary Edition.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Elyv posted:

I've only played Tzol'kin once and had no idea what I was doing, but it felt like a fun and interesting take on worker placement.
That was my experience, too. I played on BGA, and I kind of felt like I was just along for the ride. But not in a bad way? I imagine a better grasp of the rules and what's required would change that, so I guess my impression is 'would play again, if I could be taught by an actual person'.

Trynant
Oct 7, 2010

The final spice...your tears <3
Samurai Spirit is pretty great at being an easy-to-teach co-op with enough challenge to be fun, despite suffering from what you'd expect a turn-based coop to suffer from (quarterbacking ahoy!). The compact box is also quite welcome. And it is hard.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Poison Mushroom posted:

That was my experience, too. I played on BGA, and I kind of felt like I was just along for the ride. But not in a bad way? I imagine a better grasp of the rules and what's required would change that, so I guess my impression is 'would play again, if I could be taught by an actual person'.

Learning complex games on BGA is a nightmare because nobody ever wants to take the time to teach you anything.

echoMateria
Aug 29, 2012

Fruitbat Factory

Lottery of Babylon posted:

I know people who will keep talking in Space Alert during a Communications Down and then get annoyed at me when I shoosh them.

Just make a really loud SSSHHH noise to help the computer to make it impossible for them to be able to talk during Communications Down or don't play that game with that group of people.

Elyv posted:

I just played it for the first time a couple of hours ago too. I liked it more than I expected, though I wonder if the temple of skulls, whatever it is called, is a bit unbalanced compared to the rest of the game and maybe wonders as well. I mean there are a lot of thigns you can do, but it feels like nothing is as powerful as those two in terms of accumulating victory points.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Whereas most people consider the temple tracks (the three colors that get you points and resources at harvest time) to be way more important than either of those two. It's a good game, whether or not it's somewhat broken depends on who you talk to, but it's a solid worker placement and the wheel gimmick is cool, while as noted, kinda gimmicky.

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say
"I'll take your sheep from you?"

Played Keyflower for the first time the other night. This game scratches so many itches, including that feeling of having your hopes and dreams ruthlessly stomped on when someone snipes one winter tile with a green before you can act.

Said tile would have gotten me 30+ points :unsmigghh:

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I...uh...bought a couple things over the holidays:

The Brother Bastian thing is for a friend. Not pictured: Sushi Go, which I thought was Sushi Dice.

Took a backpack, luggage case, and another bag from the store to lug this stuff back to my city.

I played a single game of Galaxy Trucker at a cafe in Toronto, and knew immediately I had to have it. Played a few games of Contagion with my sister and brother in law, and had a decent amount of fun - I think it'd be good to bring in to play at work. I have a friend who enjoys King of Tokyo, so I think he'll be psyched for New York, and oh my poor wallet :(

Edit: feel a little bad about supporting the Coup guys now, given that awful Kickstarter quality poo poo...I'll have to remember to not give them any more money in the future.

Morpheus fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Dec 31, 2014

Social Dissonance
Nov 25, 2002

hey guys lets ride

Countblanc posted:

Relatively easy to teach, but hard as balls. Plan on losing horribly every time,

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Am I wrong in thinking the Naalu Collective in Twilight Imperium is too good? They just build a massive fleet, then stomp all over any non-military races because you can't diplomacy them before they can crush at least one of your systems.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.
Lately I figured out one can play 7 Wonders over the internet via BSW. I've spent basically the entirety of the past day playing it with some 30 odd games or so and have only won two.

i am terrible at this dumb game but I love it so much

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Deviant posted:

Am I wrong in thinking the Naalu Collective in Twilight Imperium is too good? They just build a massive fleet, then stomp all over any non-military races because you can't diplomacy them before they can crush at least one of your systems.

Come on over to the Twilight Imperium thread! I took the liberty of quoting and responding to your post there.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3651978&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

EBag
May 18, 2006

Durendal posted:

Played Keyflower for the first time the other night. This game scratches so many itches, including that feeling of having your hopes and dreams ruthlessly stomped on when someone snipes one winter tile with a green before you can act.

Said tile would have gotten me 30+ points :unsmigghh:

It looks so charming when you see the box and the art but it's probably one of the most cut throat games I own, there are so many ways to gently caress other players over or get screwed yourself. It also has a great build up to the end, you never really know where you stand or who is going to win. I love it, probably my favorite worker placement, just wish I was able to play it more often.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Yeah, Keyflower is a knife fight with meeples. Dickery and counter-dickery abounds. Awesome game. Still need to try out The Farmers. Maybe I'll get to it before Merchants shows up.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Keyflower is probably one of my favorite games and is probably the reason I've gone through the trouble of getting every promo for it. People expect such a different game because of the art it's usually a deer in the headlights effect when the game gets underway

Schizoguy
Mar 1, 2002

I have so many things on my social calendar these days, it is difficult to know which you are making reference to, in particular.
I played my first game of Paperback tonight. Word games are a whole lot harder in person. I watched the Rahdo video beforehand, and I was yelling at my screen what words he should have been making, but when I was playing the game myself, I was making just as many mistakes.

Neat game, though. I would immediately go out and buy a copy for myself, but (a) you have to order it from the publisher; ie, no FLGS or Amazon Prime, and (b) they want $30 for it. I mean, it's neat and all, but it's still just a card game.

echoMateria
Aug 29, 2012

Fruitbat Factory

Echophonic posted:

Yeah, Keyflower is a knife fight with meeples. Dickery and counter-dickery abounds. Awesome game. Still need to try out The Farmers. Maybe I'll get to it before Merchants shows up.

They just mailed me today saying that they are getting ready to ship Keyflower: The Merchants to the Kickstarter backers. Can't wait to lay my hands on it.

Will probably be the cutest game in my collection. I mean... just look at it. And to think of all the dark claims you are all making about this pretty and innocent game...

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

What's the rationale behind Dominion forbidding you to look through your own discard pile? Theoretically you can know the cards in it.

EBag
May 18, 2006

Echophonic posted:

I have the Farmers, waiting for the Mechants to come still but should be soon. I like the addition of the wheat especially, the animals are nice to have but only feel necessary if you're frequently playing with a lot of players so that there is more tile variety and alternative strategies.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

StashAugustine posted:

What's the rationale behind Dominion forbidding you to look through your own discard pile? Theoretically you can know the cards in it.

So you don't slow the game down with your incessant optimizing.

I know the counter-argument that it just necessitates card-counting. But that's the rationale.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD
Goddamnit, I got to play Key Market for a second time tonight and the whole "my board gaming tastes have changed since I last played it, it probably wasn't that great" rationale that I'd been telling myself turns out to have been incorrect. It got me saying things like "I've spent more than that on X-Wing or Netrunner..." but I do play those games every week. A dry economic euro isn't going to see that kind of play.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

echoMateria posted:

They just mailed me today saying that they are getting ready to ship Keyflower: The Merchants to the Kickstarter backers. Can't wait to lay my hands on it.

Will probably be the cutest game in my collection. I mean... just look at it. And to think of all the dark claims you are all making about this pretty and innocent game...

Holy poo poo that's a lot of greens. That person is playing hardball.

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

Somewhat due to this thread, I've picked up Tragedy Looper because it seems pretty unique and fun, even though I tend to avoid games over an hour.
"Time loop deduction board game" is still pretty out there as far as categories go...

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo
I've played quite a bit of Tzolk'in and I think it's pretty drat great. In the base game there are probably only a few viable strategies, but the expansion really shakes that up and just generally comes with a ton of stuff and rounds out the game. The caveat here is, the game isn't very friendly to new players. Playing the game really well is about getting exactly as many resources as you need just before you actually need them, and this means you generally have your next 2-4 turns already planned out. It takes a couple games to get into the swing of things and new players will feel like they're just farting around, they never have what they need when they need it, and they'll end the game with a pile of junk that they never managed to turn into a meaningful amount of points.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Lhet posted:

Somewhat due to this thread, I've picked up Tragedy Looper because it seems pretty unique and fun, even though I tend to avoid games over an hour.
"Time loop deduction board game" is still pretty out there as far as categories go...

I like it with two players. Plays like a cat and mouse chess game.

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....
So I played some games recently:

Illuminati - been some time since I played this. It's munchikin, but with more book keeping, fiddliness, maths, and even less jokes. Mainly, it about trying to achieve an objective, and the gameplay quickly becomes everyone trying to stop one player from winning.

Ca$h n' Gun$ -Second edition, then first edition. Personally, I want to shove the two editions together alongside Incan Gold, see how it plays if you allow the remaining players to divide as far as possible, not only if they can divide it exactly. Second edition felt more like trying to give everyone something to do, but was less chaotic as a result. First edition felt like a mad scramble to get a divisible amount of people in there. This was fun, but absurd, with our first game one person getting a huge windfall one round, and a later jackpot being shared 3 ways wasn't worth as much (we should have shot him more). The second game no one ever got any money, It was never divisible correctly - the winner was the only player who never got any shame tokens.

edit - oh hey, this is how the rules work, but it's hidden later in the manual and the person who had played before didn't know this.

Kemet - wanted to play after having it talked up so much. Despite stumbling over rules for some time, the game played simply and seemed to work well. We played a short game, so it was over rather quickly, particularly as I likely didn't emphasise enough to the other players how great battle VP were. I won on I think the third or fourth turn, with 2 VP for holding 2 temples, 2 temporary VP for holding temples, and 4 battle VP. Definitely seemed like a game where the overload of symbols, upgrades, etc. would be much more manageable second game onwards. I felt bad about trying to explain the rules while I wrapped my head around them, completely unlike...

DC Deck Building Game - I was reading through the manual and eventually asked another person who had played before "is there any significant way this isn't dominion?" - there is not. You have locations, you start with a power, when you gain a supervillain (province) the next one does an attack on you, there are no duchys, gold, estate or copper available to buy and the cards available change all the time (therefore not as balanced), but it plays the same. After one game I don't think the game would change much between plays and I've seen all it has to offer, which is a bit sad. It's as mediocre as I was warned it would be.

Sheriff of Nottingham - After fixing what the rules are about your decleration ('you must make a decleration of a number of a legitimate good')game works quite simply. We quickly reached a problem where we didn't allow the sheriff to pick up the parcel until they decided (as the weight would give away a lie about numbers), but I'm sure some people would argue that's against the spirit of the game. I suck at deception and lost horribly. Would play again.

Also, this thread keeps making me want more and more, Tragedy Looper sounds amazing.

Wazzu fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Dec 31, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bullbar
Apr 18, 2007

The Aristocrats!
Two player Keyflower is surprisingly quick and remarkably brutal. It doesn't help that I played badly and my wife beat me 50 to 34.