Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Its probably not a reference to anything beyond the fact that Kurokiba is clearly holding a Buster Sword - the design is identical sans the materia slots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Hey guys.

Here're chapters 95, 96, 97, 98 in full colour. They were originally released in black and white, but scanners went back and got the colour versions and they look loving sweet.

Also chapter 100 :toot:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I see the Tsuruchi Archer School is still broken.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Chapter 96 in color has a couple bonus pages, in case you missed them:

Apart from being funny, I'm glad this scene exists simply because it shows Souma anxious. I feel it helps make him more relatable.

CVE
Jan 27, 2012
New chapter is out.

It's basically a giant tease.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
I apologize if this has been noted before, but the reason for all the sword imagery and names is because the name of the fish they're using is written in Japanese as "autumn sword fish" :v:

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

CVE posted:

New chapter is out.

It's basically a giant tease.

It really is :cripes:

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

paragon1 posted:

It really is :cripes:

I thought it was a really good tease though.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
It is, yeah.

jwang
Mar 31, 2013
With all these sword analogies, I'm kind of surprised that nobody made that Musashi boat oar sword comparison yet. Maybe it will come next chapter?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Yukihira loving with the judges for maximum effect. Its super shonen, but somehow doesn't feel as cliche, probably just because they aren't physically fighting.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
He'd make a great entertainer. Should get a cooking show after graduating.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Except what the hell is the point of not coming out full bore?

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
to draw out the match another chapter

doyle-san
Feb 25, 2001

"This changes nothing."

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Some sort of beauty of changing foliage Autumn simile.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Because of the theme. It's a fish with a "deep relationship with the tables of the 'masses'" and Soma is the only one that made something that wasn't straight out of an expensive restaurant.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

SpazmasterX posted:

Because of the theme. It's a fish with a "deep relationship with the tables of the 'masses'" and Soma is the only one that made something that wasn't straight out of an expensive restaurant.

I don't know about you, but my local pho joint doesn't hold back some stuff and then ask if I want seconds and then whoops, too bad if you're full or your lunch break is almost up.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

quote:

This is a cooking manga.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

SwissArmyDruid posted:

It's always more impressive to have a secret trick.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Hey, showmanship counts. The appearance and presentation of food can enhance the taste, nothing new there.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

BlitzBlast posted:

It's always more impressive to have a secret trick.

Which is probably the line of thought the author's editor used to draw it out

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
It's the cooking manga version of "no, it is *I* who is behind *you*!"

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Best Trope

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Fudou, Gunzou. The Face of the Franchise Killer. 2004.

Dexo posted:

Best Trope

Watsuki making fun of himself is my favorite manga page of all time.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Dexo posted:

Best Trope

I miss Busou Renkin. It was way too short-lived :(

doyle-san
Feb 25, 2001

"This changes nothing."
I found this week's issue really hard to follow. Is he winning?

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
If I had to compare this week's chapter to something, it would be Rocky 4.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

doyle-san posted:

I found this week's issue really hard to follow. Is he winning?

I'd say so. They're looking to have a big finale for the arc and this is presumably where the anime stops (assuming 2-cour). As with any series, the actual winner of any fight is arbitrary, though. I think they've done a very good job making me not want the other two douches to win.

Punc
Nov 3, 2009

Ass to Ass.
Chapter 102 is out.

This manga is now about the battle between so called geniuses and the plebes

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
You know, I actually forgot that most of the school doesn't like Souma.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
It's because he hasn't been interacting with the school much recently outside of his friends and opponents. I want the manga to hurry up back to the hell-school elimination trial aspects of the story.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Fudou, Gunzou. The Face of the Franchise Killer. 2004.
For those who want to read Soma earlier and more legally, Shonen Jump is free for the next 3+ weeks:

http://shonenjump.viz.com/

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

vibratingsheep posted:

For those who want to read Soma earlier and more legally, Shonen Jump is free for the next 3+ weeks:

http://shonenjump.viz.com/
But still region locked. :(

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

tonberrytoby posted:

But still region locked. :(

Three letters that mean 'teleportation via the internet': V, P, and N.

Ataru13
Jul 28, 2005

...Packing Space-Age Shit!
Happy to serve is the worst loving catchphrase.

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

Ataru13 posted:

Happy to serve is the worst loving catchphrase.

that's why it's hard

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

BlitzBlast posted:

You know, I actually forgot that most of the school doesn't like Souma.

His first day "You all exist for me to crush" probably had a lasting effect on most of the students.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
You know, I kinda don't get where the "Souma represents the everyman" thing came from? I mean, I get that he's from a pretty typical line-chef background without a fancy upbringing or anything, but he's also competing with the top dogs of the school. He's constantly scored highly in both classes and competition. He makes Gundam's out of carrots and celery. So he's pretty clearly a very talented chef.

I guess I kinda don't get where this chapter is coming from at all? It's weird and doesn't have meat roller coasters and I've already seen this manga do serious time better than this. Filler at it's most filler-esque.

buzmeg
Jul 8, 2004
The Megg of Buzz

pentyne posted:

His first day "You all exist for me to crush" probably had a lasting effect on most of the students.

Especially since this is a cooking school for *prodigies*.

People forget that everybody in the school is supposed to be drat near genius level to start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

SatansBestBuddy posted:

You know, I kinda don't get where the "Souma represents the everyman" thing came from? I mean, I get that he's from a pretty typical line-chef background without a fancy upbringing or anything, but he's also competing with the top dogs of the school. He's constantly scored highly in both classes and competition. He makes Gundam's out of carrots and celery. So he's pretty clearly a very talented chef.

I guess I kinda don't get where this chapter is coming from at all? It's weird and doesn't have meat roller coasters and I've already seen this manga do serious time better than this. Filler at it's most filler-esque.

Souma represents the everyman relative to the fact that the school is full of top-of-the-line magical cooking geniuses. He's merely an /regular/ cooking genius with no fear that tries his absolute best at all time and refuses to make excuses for himself.