Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

t-nutz posted:

Are there any ships that can survive destroying their FSD? You can cause aborted jumps with some damage to it but if you get it to 0%, they'll explode won't they?

Yeah this was my understanding as well. Although I didn't know damage would cause the jump to abort, thats really good to know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antoine Silvere
Nov 25, 2008

Are these soap bubbles?
Grimey Drawer
Put 6 multicannons on my Asp and it's like having a lead fire hose :allears:

Can't wait to try 6 cannons and then 6 dumbfire missiles :getin:

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Knifegrab posted:

Yeah this was my understanding as well. Although I didn't know damage would cause the jump to abort, thats really good to know.

Yeah, apparently the more damaged your FSD is the greater chance of attempted jumps either aborting or the ship exploding upon the attempt. Someone a page or two ago said it started at 70% and gets worse from there.

Antoine Silvere posted:

Put 6 multicannons on my Asp and it's like having a lead fire hose :allears:
Based on what 2 size 2 cannons do on my Viper I'm pretty sure 6 cannons on the Asp (what size are those?) will obliterate many small ships in a single volley.

Antoine Silvere
Nov 25, 2008

Are these soap bubbles?
Grimey Drawer

Kenshin posted:

Based on what 2 size 2 cannons do on my Viper I'm pretty sure 6 cannons on the Asp (what size are those?) will obliterate many small ships in a single volley.

Two Class 2s and 4 Class 1s. I can't wait :hellyeah:

Jarf
Jun 25, 2006

PLATINUM

Hey guys, I'm an honest hard working Space Trucker hauling goods back and forth in my trusty Voyager. You probably know somebody just like me :clint:
We work long hours to earn some honest credits. Lately I've noticed an increase in pirate activity, bunch of kids with guns think they can harass the everyday workman.
Any of you guys have some advice to help a fellow Space Trucker like me protect his cargo from the unscrupulous types out there?

Antoine Silvere
Nov 25, 2008

Are these soap bubbles?
Grimey Drawer

Jarf posted:

Hey guys, I'm an honest hard working Space Trucker hauling goods back and forth in my trusty Voyager. You probably know somebody just like me :clint:
We work long hours to earn some honest credits. Lately I've noticed an increase in pirate activity, bunch of kids with guns think they can harass the everyday workman.
Any of you guys have some advice to help a fellow Space Trucker like me protect his cargo from the unscrupulous types out there?

Play in solo mode. If you're just truckin' by yourself there is literally no reason not to unless you find being ganked fun

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Antoine Silvere posted:

Play in solo mode. If you're just truckin' by yourself there is literally no reason not to unless you find being ganked fun

Booooo this advice sucks.

I am not a pirate...

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

The real answer is to haul in a combat fit cobra and fight back.

Antoine Silvere
Nov 25, 2008

Are these soap bubbles?
Grimey Drawer

TK-42-1 posted:

The real answer is to haul in a combat fit cobra and fight back.

This also works and is p fun as well

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Smuggling is legit a ton of fun and quite profitable.

Jarf
Jun 25, 2006

PLATINUM

Antoine Silvere posted:

Is it bad that I do enjoy the random ganking? Watching real live human beings dock their ships is a beautiful thing that I can't give up. I was wondering more what is best for defence. Are the chaff launchers worth saving up for? Can I upgrade something to make it easier to evade/survive interdictions?

Rotation Confusion
Jul 13, 2012

It's harder than it looks
Surviving interdiction w/o fighting:

Fit chaff/ECM/point defense
Fit mine layers
Bind all but point defense (which you can't bind) to a single trigger. Have another for just chaff and ECM.

When you get interdicted, drop throttle to zero. You'll submit to interdiction and maintain your prior FSD target.

The second you drop into the interdiction island, full throttle and boost towards your FSD target, max engines,. If your attacker is wanted already, drop ecm/chaff/mines. If not, use your chaff/ECM bind and drop mines after they hit you and flip to wanted. The second your FSD cooldown is over, go back to supercruise.

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure

Jarf posted:

Is it bad that I do enjoy the random ganking? Watching real live human beings dock their ships is a beautiful thing that I can't give up. I was wondering more what is best for defence. Are the chaff launchers worth saving up for? Can I upgrade something to make it easier to evade/survive interdictions?

I saw a human at Big Harry's the other day, and to show off I boosted into the mail slot - I had to full on slam the brakes and try to turn to avoid smashing against the back wall.

Even though they were leaving and couldn't see me I bet they were impressed...!

DopeGhoti
May 24, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
What does ECM even do? I just figured it blocked the already-pointless tracking missiles.

Two chaff launchers will make you more or less immune to tracking missiles, turrets, gimbals, and to an extent scanning. Pop one every 30 seconds or, better, have VA do it for you until you tell it to stop. Point defense turrets will do an okay job knocking mines or dumbfire missiles out of the sky.

As RC mentioned, submit to interdictions, that makes your FSD cool off faster then the aggressor's. Boost away and jump; if you're really scared, jump to another system- most people will just jump to SC and get interdicted again.

Antoine Silvere
Nov 25, 2008

Are these soap bubbles?
Grimey Drawer

Jarf posted:

Not at all my man, you do you.

That said chaff launcher are definitely worth it, since most people are scrubs that use gimballed weapons. Heat sink might be useful too. Don't think there is anything to make avoiding interdictions easier. Might be better to just submit so you don't lose hull and your FSD recharges faster and then just pop a heat sink plus chaff and book it

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

For you see, I am a noble smuggler. I steal from wanted pirates, claim their bounties but still smuggle in their goods.

Sure some might call me a monster, rescuing a ton of slaves only to them sell them to a black market, but I call it capitalism.

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

YOU CAN'T MOVE WITH ME IN THIS DIGITAL SPACE
Second flight report: Took a Federation mission to supply guns, spent about an hour finding some (one station had just one, another had more but I ran out of money and had to shoot some pirates). Finally loaded up with guns, realized I couldn't find a route back to the original system with my reduced jump range.

I feel like I'll eventually get good at this game purely by the number of mistakes I'll remember never to make again. :psyduck:

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Haledjian posted:

I feel like I'll eventually get good at this game purely by the number of mistakes I'll remember never to make again. :psyduck:

This sums up the first 15 or so hours I played...

E: I'm still not good.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

Rotation Confusion posted:

When you get interdicted, drop throttle to zero. You'll submit to interdiction and maintain your prior FSD target.

Note: Only do this if you've found evading player interdictions difficult in the first place.

Jarf posted:

In addition to what others have said about chaff/ECM/et. al., upgrading your thrusters and (assuming you haven't just dumped them so you can haul more stuff in your van) shields will both go a long way towards making the odd player pirate encounter more survivable. I would also recommend that you spend more time flying with F/A off (if you aren't already doing so); learning how to wrangle your van into position during take-off/landing quickly will also pay off when you need to space-serpentine your way out of someone's crosshairs.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Hey Frontier, bring back the "sell all" button for system data.

Been selling data one by one for an hour now :gonk:

t-nutz
Nov 26, 2008
^
Yeah, there's hardly even a case where I wouldn't want to sell all. It's not like it changes price or anything interesting.

Ernie Muppari posted:

In addition to what others have said about chaff/ECM/et. al., upgrading your thrusters and (assuming you haven't just dumped them so you can haul more stuff in your van) shields will both go a long way towards making the odd player pirate encounter more survivable. I would also recommend that you spend more time flying with F/A off (if you aren't already doing so); learning how to wrangle your van into position during take-off/landing quickly will also pay off when you need to space-serpentine your way out of someone's crosshairs.
I'm a fan of a better power distributor so I can boost twice and more often. It makes take-off / landing more tolerable in slower ships.

t-nutz fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Dec 30, 2014

Ledenko
Aug 10, 2012
So here I am, hot dogging in my viper assisting space police in taking down a 112k bounty anaconda, doing these silly FA off strafing runs... straight into a rock. I ate it. This game :allears:

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

If I get ten spare bucks, it's going for a 30-pack of Schlitz.
Very new to the game, I've purchased/upgraded a hauler and have done some mining and delivery missions. I've only managed to rack up 40k credits or so. Is there something I'm missing as far as making cash, or is it just a slog until you can haul fucktons of cargo and do big supply misisons. I haven't fired a single laser shot yet. I'm simply a trader.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Hey Frontier, bring back the "sell all" button for system data.

Been selling data one by one for an hour now :gonk:

Hah, now I really fear the day I'm coming back from my adventure in deep space. :v:

Edit:

By the way, NPCs still spawn for me even though I'm hundreds of light years away from civilization. Yesterday I had to evade the same Python three times. That NPC really wanted to stop my empty Cobra for some reason.

Libluini fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Dec 30, 2014

Ledenko
Aug 10, 2012

Libluini posted:

By the way, NPCs still spawn for me even though I'm hundreds of light years away from civilization. Yesterday I had to evade the same Python three times. That NPC really wanted to stop my empty Cobra for some reason.

It gets awful lonely in the black, guy wanted some company. You know, twixt the nethers.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Ledenko posted:

It gets awful lonely in the black, guy wanted some company. You know, twixt the nethers.

Nice.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Libluini posted:

Hah, now I really fear the day I'm coming back from my adventure in deep space. :v:

Edit:

Just pop a movie in.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Phummus posted:

Very new to the game, I've purchased/upgraded a hauler and have done some mining and delivery missions. I've only managed to rack up 40k credits or so. Is there something I'm missing as far as making cash, or is it just a slog until you can haul fucktons of cargo and do big supply misisons. I haven't fired a single laser shot yet. I'm simply a trader.

Basic trading is going to feel really rough at first. You are essentially at the mercy of your tiny amount of starting capital and whatever the RNG gods decide to throw your way in terms of trade missions. Profit is really small off of small starting capital, so yeah, the big money doesn't start to pile into short-distance (0-40 ly) trading until you are capable of buying up large amounts of stock and moving large amounts of cargo.

The early-game high-profit method of trading likely applicable to your scenario is going to be rares trading. Rare items are special items that only spawn in specific systems and show up as bright yellow amongst the rest of the gray inventory in the commodities market. Rares have a special property whereby they can be sold anywhere, but they really only drastically appreciate in value once you get beyond 150 ly from where you bought them. They are also notoriously low in stock in their home station because they are... well... rare items.

For a guide on rare item trading check out this post. It helped me get into an Adder with 500k credits to spare in one evening.

Frank Horrigan
Jul 31, 2013

by Ralp

Libluini posted:

Edit:

Did they fix that bug where your game will crash upon opening universal cartographics if you have a shitload of systems to sell?

Disconnecticus
Oct 21, 2012

Wait, like, actual money?

Jarf posted:

Totally understand this. It's just a game after all, and the tension of having to outrun unpredictable actual humans is one of the things that makes it fun. If credits were real money I'd be all over soloing, but since they aren't what's the point? I'd rather have the constant threat of being beaten up for my space money be a thing.

Disconnecticus fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Dec 30, 2014

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

t-nutz posted:

I'm a fan of a better power distributor so I can boost twice and more often. It makes take-off / landing more tolerable in slower ships.

True, it'll also help keep your shields up longer under fire.

Really your FSD, Thrusters, Power Plant, and Power Distributor are the modules you should pretty much always be trying to upgrade all the way to A Ranks because they're the things that make your ship go (and the A Ranked versions are pretty much just straight upgrades for the E Ranks).

EDIT: Also, about the flight-assist chat: Don't try to use F/A to kill your forwards or backwards velocity, that's not what it's for. Think of F/A as a stabilization switch, it's meant to kill your lateral velocity and rotation so you're only moving along a single vector.

Ernie Muppari fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Dec 30, 2014

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Frank Horrigan posted:

Did they fix that bug where your game will crash upon opening universal cartographics if you have a shitload of systems to sell?

I have no idea, considering I'm still literally days in real-time away from every human settlement I could sell exploration data to.

Rotation Confusion
Jul 13, 2012

Ernie Muppari posted:

True, it'll also help keep your shields up longer under fire.

Really your FSD, Thrusters, Power Plant, and Power Distributor are the modules you should pretty much always be trying to upgrade all the way to A Ranks because they're the things that make your ship go (and the A Ranked versions are pretty much just straight upgrades for the E Ranks).

Power plant only needs to be good enough to power all your stuff. After that I think it only matters for heat dispersion. Distributor controls sys/eng/wep refill rate and amount of energy in each at full.

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure

Libluini posted:

I have no idea, considering I'm still literally days in real-time away from every human settlement I could sell exploration data to.

How far, roughly have you gone?

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

I know the developers are on Holiday, and they absolutely deserve it, but its so weird hearing/seeing no patch notes for so long. I hope the next patch is a mile long in its changelog.

Touchdown Boy
Apr 1, 2007

I saw my friend there out on the field today, I asked him where he's going, he said "All the way."
Rares update every 15 mins right? Or did they change that. Im sitting waiting and it doesnt seem to be happening.

Rotation Confusion
Jul 13, 2012

Knifegrab posted:

I know the developers are on Holiday, and they absolutely deserve it, but its so weird hearing/seeing no patch notes for so long. I hope the next patch is a mile long in its changelog.

The next patch note will be 3 lines of important stuff they do right as they get back

The one after that will probably be hysterical

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

drat, the Type 7 flies like a pregnant dog.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Touchdown Boy posted:

Rares update every 15 mins right? Or did they change that. Im sitting waiting and it doesnt seem to be happening.
There is some daily, I think, limit on how much rares stations can give your, or something like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frank Horrigan
Jul 31, 2013

by Ralp

Touchdown Boy posted:

There's a cap on how many you can have now, something like 15-20 if memory serves. If you've got more than that, supply won't restore at all. No more idling at a station until your hold is full, unfortunately.

• Locked thread