Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Descent 2 wasn't crap but it's more or less Descent 1 with extra gimmicks, some of which made for really annoying enemies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

ToxicFrog posted:

That Unreal map dissection is pretty neat. And it has me considering replaying Unreal. Suggestions for new engines/textures/models/whatever?

All you need to do is download the 227 patch over here. Make sure you pick up the latest version, 227i. 227 includes two good renderers, allows you to play on every server out there, the ability to disable mouse smoothing, improved widescreen support, a much-better editor, and better sound support. I never replay U1 without it.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Strife Veteran Edition mod tools are released

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Reminds me of NPRQuake. I know that sounds like Quake that's made possible by contributions to your local station from players like you (thank you), but it was actually a mod of GLQuake to add a render style that makes it look like every frame is the end result of an artist's sketches. Alas, I can't seem to get it working on my current rig.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Of course, on the total other end of the spectrum, there is Textmode Quake. Who needs a 3d accelerator?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

ToxicFrog posted:

On the other hand, it's not like being made by the same team guarantees anything about quality either -- look at Descent 2 and Homeworld 2, both terrible sequels to great games made by the same devs that made the original. Or Quake 2, Ultima Underworld 2, or Ground Control 2, which, while not terrible, were all notably worse than their predecessors.

what

what did i just read here

Pod people invader detected, an opinion that wrong cannot be held by a real human being.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Ok, let's explain a bit.

Descent 2: it's Descent 1 with more weapons and items (great), much uglier enemies, much more confusing and harder to navigate levels requiring the addition of the idiotic guide-bot, an inability to ever clear out sections of the level due the ability of enemies to open doors, frequent, annoying arena boss fights, and a final boss that is literally impossible to kill on higher difficulty levels due to have a weak spot 0 texels wide. And a lot of the secrets are "shoot a panel somewhere on the level, and then afterburner perfectly across the entire level to the door that opens for just long enough for you to get through". Good luck even figuring out where that door is without a walkthrough, and you only get one chance. And it had the thief-bot, arguably the single most annoying enemy in the history of FPS games.

Oh, and the cool mission briefings and robot/weapon information screens were replaced with the same FMV repeated once every four levels with the colour of the planet changed.

I freely grant that it had a kickass soundtrack, that the opening cutscene was fantastic, and that the increased weapon variety is welcome in multiplayer, but in singleplayer it was pretty bad.

(I think my ideal Descent game would be the levels and enemies from Descent 1, with the Descent 2 weapons added.)

Homeworld 2: do I really need to explain this? It was a bug-riddled, poorly balanced trainwreck with a plot and dialogue written by people with severe brain damage. At least it was easier to mod than HW1.

Ultima Underworld 2: the best parts of UUW2 are better than UUW1, but UUW1's huge, single interconnected dungeon was replaced with a bunch of mini-dungeons, and a lot of those mini-dungeons are entirely hack-and-slash focused, which the UUW engine honestly isn't that good at. It's not bad but I liked UUW1's slow exploration a great deal more than UUW2's "here's an isolated level, kill everything in it". UUW2 ties in more closely with the main Ultima series, but I never played any of the main Ultima games, so that doesn't really have any draw for me.

closeted republican posted:

All you need to do is download the 227 patch over here. Make sure you pick up the latest version, 227i. 227 includes two good renderers, allows you to play on every server out there, the ability to disable mouse smoothing, improved widescreen support, a much-better editor, and better sound support. I never replay U1 without it.

:tipshat:

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Dec 29, 2014

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

I kind of have a fondness for the easy to get lost in maze design of Descent 2, but I agree with you all the way on Homeworld 2. I thought it was commonly agreed that it's not anywhere near as good as the first (and Cataclysm, which is the best of the three).

Szymanski
Jul 31, 2005

You down with OCP?
Sugartime Jones

Zeether posted:

Some guy got Quake running on an oscilloscope: http://www.lofibucket.com/articles/oscilloscope_quake.html

Cool stuff. Interesting to see the the Gibbs style ringing in the last screenie.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Are there any good mods based on classic monster movies? DeathWish, (and Blood as whole, really) had a few. Any hidden gems with Blood? Fun little Doom wads? Duke takes a strange turn? Descent goes into Dracula's Space Castle?

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

ToxicFrog posted:

(I think my ideal Descent game would be the levels and enemies from Descent 1, with the Descent 2 weapons added.)

Surely the ideal Descent game was Descent To Undermountain? (To my shame this is the only "Descent" game I actually bought! Still have the manual and CD somewhere but the box is long gone)

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

ookiimarukochan posted:

Surely the ideal Descent game was Descent To Undermountain? (To my shame this is the only "Descent" game I actually bought! Still have the manual and CD somewhere but the box is long gone)

I've never played Descent to Undermountain and don't really know anything about it.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

ToxicFrog posted:

I've never played Descent to Undermountain and don't really know anything about it.
LGR has you covered.

The game's pretty terrible. Rushed to release before it was ready after an over-schedule development process, the final release being full of bugs and questionable level design decisions like secret walls being mandatory to progress through the stage, or the ever-classic "switch that opens a door halfway across the map without indicating as much".

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

catlord posted:

Are there any good mods based on classic monster movies? DeathWish, (and Blood as whole, really) had a few. Any hidden gems with Blood? Fun little Doom wads? Duke takes a strange turn? Descent goes into Dracula's Space Castle?

there was a duke mod of The Shining, but it was... well, something.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

catlord posted:

Alien TC for Doom — the best Alien game up until Alien: Isolation was released. :v:

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Colon Semicolon posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlmifgA8BC4

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Shadow Hog posted:

LGR has you covered.

The game's pretty terrible. Rushed to release before it was ready after an over-schedule development process, the final release being full of bugs and questionable level design decisions like secret walls being mandatory to progress through the stage, or the ever-classic "switch that opens a door halfway across the map without indicating as much".

That actually fits the source material to a T.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Colon Semicolon posted:

I have that one, actually. That is an odd one. But props on recreating the Overlook Hotel pretty well, for the most part.

Tippis posted:

Alien TC for Doom - the best Alien game up until Alien: Isolation was released. :v:

Last time I tried it, all the parts were split up and needed to be put in the right order and I wasn't sure what it was. Is there a nice packaged version for ZDoom like there is for the Dawn of the Dead TC? I've been playing around with Konta Kommando's Aliens mod, the just released survival horror one, and I'm having fun with it.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

catlord posted:

Last time I tried it, all the parts were split up and needed to be put in the right order and I wasn't sure what it was. Is there a nice packaged version for ZDoom like there is for the Dawn of the Dead TC? I've been playing around with Konta Kommando's Aliens mod, the just released survival horror one, and I'm having fun with it.

I was hoping that someone else would be able to point in the right direction because the last time I tried, I utterly failed to assemble a working game. :eng99:

So no.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
This seems to mostly be working right, just add doom.wad and pick a batch file. There's a couple of bugs, but they seem to merely be bugs in the original version too.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Here, I'll help you. I've assembled together the fixed by Quasar version of Aliens TC, Freedoom IWAD (the 4-episode one, mimicking Ultimate Doom), and GLBoom+. Works straight from the box after unzipping and running alien.bat It's the second episode that has the main campaign, the first one crashes, and the third has some bonus maps.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/p9urrotuc6rhsre/atcud20.zip?dl=0

For further reference, the commandline for sourceport is
code:
-file alitcsf.wad alitcsnd.wad atclev.wad -deh atcud19.deh
and if you want to run this mode in other port, you need to move those files and use the same parameter.

edit: aaand beaten to the punch, with much more effective solution

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

My favorite 90s red book industrial buttrock soundtracks are Starsiege and Mechwarrior 2/Mercenaries.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

catlord posted:

While not a mod, it might fit the bill, and I'd argue that it's not entirely out of place in this thread (despite being released in 2003) - have you played Nosferatu: The Wrath of Malachi?

It's a first-person shooter/swordfighter/crucifix-er set in the murky Transylvanian locale of Castle Malachi. The player must race the clock to rescue various family members scattered throughout the castle, all the while fighting off the castle's gothic vampire residents.

The game's definitely clunky in some areas, but mixes things up (literally) by re-arranging the rooms and enemies in each wing of the castle with each play-through to keep you on your toes.

It's currently 75%-off on Steam, bringing the price to $2.49 - I've certainly gotten at least that much value out of it, so I'd recommend it for anyone interested.

Has anyone else here played it?

Alehkhs fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Dec 31, 2014

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

laserghost posted:

Here, I'll help you. I've assembled together the fixed by Quasar version of Aliens TC, Freedoom IWAD (the 4-episode one, mimicking Ultimate Doom), and GLBoom+. Works straight from the box after unzipping and running alien.bat It's the second episode that has the main campaign, the first one crashes, and the third has some bonus maps.

Huh. For some reason this is the only one that works for me. I don't know why, either. It's the only one with the right graphics.

Alehkhs posted:

While not a mod, but I'd argue it's not entirely out of place in this thread (despite being released in 2003) - have you played Nosferatu: The Wrath of Malachi?

Yeah, that game's fantastic. It looks like rear end, but it can still be eerie. It can be a little rough, especially at the start since so few weapons are particularly good, and it's a little clunky overall, but I'd recommend it.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Luigi Thirty posted:

My favorite 90s red book industrial buttrock soundtracks are Starsiege and Mechwarrior 2/Mercenaries.

Descent 2 wins because it was done by Type O Negative and one of the guys from Skinny Puppy.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Elliotw2 posted:

This seems to mostly be working right, just add doom.wad and pick a batch file. There's a couple of bugs, but they seem to merely be bugs in the original version too.

laserghost posted:

:glomp: To both of you. It's always been those dehacked parts that I never got to work on modern ports. Perhaps because I always tried to make it automated and fancy rather than just doing it the old-fashioned .bat way.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Luigi Thirty posted:

Quake 2 and Descent 2 are my favorites. :rock:

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
Speaking of buttrock, is there a list of all the songs in the jukebox wad for Demonsteele? I wonder how hard it would be to make a similar wad using the real songs instead of midi renditions.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Segmentation Fault posted:

Speaking of buttrock, is there a list of all the songs in the jukebox wad for Demonsteele? I wonder how hard it would be to make a similar wad using the real songs instead of midi renditions.
Open the PK3 in anything that can read zip files, and open up LANGUAGE.TXT.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

I wonder what'll come out of this... what could come out of this?

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Well, it'd be nifty if other source ports added in support for the lightmaps, I guess?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Thyrork posted:

I wonder what'll come out of this... what could come out of this?

People wanting to play with lightmaps in their architecture starting to make Strife maps for a while, at least until the feature gets adopted by GZDoom, GLBoom, or Doomsday and they resume only ever making Doom II maps like before.

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

Segmentation Fault posted:

Very easy, I tried to make the metal jukebox as moddable as possible.
Just edit the Language entry to change song titles, and import any music you want to replace the existing songs.

Neither have server protection, so you can easily make your own variations and still join existing Zandronum servers with it. I doubt it works in ZDoom multiplayer, but you probably shouldn't be using this for ZDoom multiplayer anyway.
Come the next build, I'll include commonfuncs as well so people can edit the ACS as they please--I forgot to and Kinsie had to let me know about it. WHOOPS. :v:

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Nine years after my Enemy Territory kick reached its peak, I finally decide to play RtCW. I'm not sure how I missed this because it's pretty good!

Oh, also German architecture was apparently built by/for giants

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Mak0rz posted:

Nine years after my Enemy Territory kick reached its peak, I finally decide to play RtCW. I'm not sure how I missed this because it's pretty good!

They recaptured a lot of the RTCW feel with the new Wolfenstein, too. So long as they let Machinegames make the sequel, the series is in good hands.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Dominic White posted:

They recaptured a lot of the RTCW feel with the new Wolfenstein, too. So long as they let Machinegames make the sequel, the series is in good hands.

I have no idea what I want Machine Games to do next. The New Order 2? Quake 5? Studio politics would keep it from happening, but I am absolutely sure they could make a fantastic Duke Nukem game. I'm am 100% sure that whatever it is would be super cool, though.

TNO is on sale, by the way. The fact that more recent shooters keep getting the awards is a loving travesty.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Oh man a Duke Nukem game made in the same vein as Wolfenstein without the baggage of 3D Realms would be amazing

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

catlord posted:

I have no idea what I want Machine Games to do next. The New Order 2? Quake 5? Studio politics would keep it from happening, but I am absolutely sure they could make a fantastic Duke Nukem game. I'm am 100% sure that whatever it is would be super cool, though.

TNO is on sale, by the way. The fact that more recent shooters keep getting the awards is a loving travesty.

It's on sale for 66% off and is still $25, when did PC games get more expensive than console ones :psyduck:

Or are PS4 games now selling for $90 and I just haven't noticed?

As for their next project, what I'd really like to see from them is Blood 3. Or Dark Forces 2 -- as in, a pure shooter in the vein of Dark Forces without all the jedi stuff that was added from DF2 onwards.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

ToxicFrog posted:

It's on sale for 66% off and is still $25, when did PC games get more expensive than console ones :psyduck:

On my Steam, The New Order is selling for $20.39 at 66% off from $59.99

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

ToxicFrog posted:

Or Dark Forces 2

Dual wielding concussion rifles. :getin: