Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Rotation Confusion posted:

The next patch note will be 3 lines of important stuff they do right as they get back

The one after that will probably be hysterical

The one after that, somehow the next day since apparently Frontier is full of miracle coders, will be the size of War and Peace. They're entirely too good at that poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Frank Horrigan posted:

There's a cap on how many you can have now, something like 15-20 if memory serves. If you've got more than that, supply won't restore at all. No more idling at a station until your hold is full, unfortunately.

Are commodities locked to just you when you are shopping? I thought other players could show up and buy out a market. If I'm reading your statement right, if one dude has 20 of some rare in his cargo hold, he can just sit in a station and prevent all future spawns indefinitely if he so chooses?

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Siets posted:

Are commodities locked to just you when you are shopping? I thought other players could show up and buy out a market. If I'm reading your statement right, if one dude has 20 of some rare in his cargo hold, he can just sit in a station and prevent all future spawns indefinitely if he so chooses?

No, rares are portioned out to you individually as a pilot. Other commodities can be bought out, though.

Each rare has its own limit (and each is different) of how many you may possess at any given time. Once you've hit that limit, the Supply column for that item will not show up as 0 (HIGH) but instead as blank.

Frank Horrigan
Jul 31, 2013

by Ralp

Siets posted:

Rares are handled differently, the supply is specific to each player for them.

e;f;b

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Just tried throwing myself around with flight assist off, fun but confusing. What exactly is speed showing when FA is off? I assume it\s just your thrust?

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Just noticed I have a bounty claim in Empire, but I've never been near an Empire system. Do I just head to the closest system to claim it or what?

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

When FA is off, what does speed indicator mean? It's just your thrust, right? And when flying backwards your only indication is particles flying around you?

Crazyeyes24
Sep 14, 2014

Your good vision is your fatal weakness!

Sekenr posted:

Just tried throwing myself around with flight assist off, fun but confusing. What exactly is speed showing when FA is off? I assume it\s just your thrust?

Throttle still shows your throttle position. But your speed now shows the magnitude of your velocity vector, which is no longer necessarily aligned with the direction your main thrusters are pushing you.

Would love an indicator for velocity vector in the HUD.

Edit: and if I am not mistaken, the bars next to the throttle are a rough gauge of how 'close' you are to pointing at your velocity vector. As it fills up from the bottom, you are looking more prograde, as if fills from the top down, looking retrograde.

Someone correct me if that's wrong. At work and can't check.

Crazyeyes24 fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Dec 30, 2014

Touchdown Boy
Apr 1, 2007

I saw my friend there out on the field today, I asked him where he's going, he said "All the way."

Frank Horrigan posted:

There's a cap on how many you can have now, something like 15-20 if memory serves. If you've got more than that, supply won't restore at all. No more idling at a station until your hold is full, unfortunately.

Ah thanks for the replies. I only had 6 from one place but it didnt seem to update. I just moved on since there were other near stations (I was just being lazy).

Kenshin posted:

Each rare has its own limit (and each is different) of how many you may possess at any given time. Once you've hit that limit, the Supply column for that item will not show up as 0 (HIGH) but instead as blank.

Ah, maybe that rare limit was 6 or something. Ta.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckEUN_6TQh0

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r30hh9HUPfE

Pretty sure this dude found a pulsar.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Gonkish posted:

Ohhh poo poo that is rad.

Rotation Confusion
Jul 13, 2012

It's harder than it looks
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R_Coronae_Australis

Variable star, not a pulsar.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Look at this buzz killer right here. Killing the buzz. :smith:

In all seriousness, though, it's awesome that they modeled this. This loving game. :allears:

Rotation Confusion
Jul 13, 2012

It's harder than it looks

Gonkish posted:

Look at this buzz killer right here. Killing the buzz. :smith:

everyone needs a hobby

Antoine Silvere
Nov 25, 2008

Are these soap bubbles?
Grimey Drawer

Gonkish posted:

I would just like to state, once again, that Space is loving Cool

Wonder how far away that is from the core systems (Sol, for example)

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

It's taken me a week, but I've finally A ranked everything in my cobra :pcgaming:

screw anacondas~

Antoine Silvere
Nov 25, 2008

Are these soap bubbles?
Grimey Drawer

Pound_Coin posted:

It's taken me a week, but I've finally A ranked everything in my cobra :pcgaming:

screw anacondas~

Care to tell us how much that cost and what the rebuy price is? Kinda curious.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Gonkish posted:

The one after that, somehow the next day since apparently Frontier is full of miracle coders, will be the size of War and Peace. They're entirely too good at that poo poo.

Coming from Planetside I'm amazed that they write accurate patch notes and that they don't randomly break half of the game each time they correct a typo.

:soe:

Nostratic posted:

Just noticed I have a bounty claim in Empire, but I've never been near an Empire system. Do I just head to the closest system to claim it or what?
Did you use a Kill Warrant scanner? The default scan just gives you the bounty in the current system. Kill Warrant scanners access the other systems.

And yes, you do need to fly to the Empire to collect it. Pick up some Rares and experience the life of a Space Trucker.

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

Antoine Silvere posted:

Care to tell us how much that cost and what the rebuy price is? Kinda curious.

Rebuy is 305k Cr.

Asset pages says 11m on outfitting.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
Was just out doing on of those 'Kill 7 Pirates in (System)' missions when one guy in a USS offers me a counter-mission to kill 4 Authority ships. So I ignore it and go back to killing Pirates, but the kill counter doesn't update. So, thinking that I need to abandon the alternate mission, I instead abandon the whole thing. :argh:

Pound_Coin posted:

Rebuy is 305k Cr.

Asset pages says 11m on outfitting.

I think the outfiting number is total you've spent on outfitting ever?

305k rebuy would translate to a $6.1mil overall ship cost/value, right?

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

A bit more I believe, I've got the pre-order lifetime insurance discount thing.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

superh posted:

How far, roughly have you gone?

About 450 light years from Lave upwards. (Which is about 320 light years from the last forlorn outpost of humanity, by the way.)

I know this is probably not very impressive, but I'm travelling slowly, systematically exploring as many systems as I can on my way. Also I'm playing only a couple hours a day, max.

Stanko-Prussian
May 22, 2006

CLEAN YOUR ROOM!, 'they' said.
DO YOUR HOMEWORK!, 'they' said.
WHY ARE YOU IN LOVE WITH A CARTOON PONY, 'they' said.
FOR GODSAKE! STOP SHOWING US YOUR BLACKHOLE'!! 'they' said.

When I lit the match....STOP SCREAMING, 'I' said

WarLocke posted:

Was just out doing on of those 'Kill 7 Pirates in (System)' missions when one guy in a USS offers me a counter-mission to kill 4 Authority ships. So I ignore it and go back to killing Pirates, but the kill counter doesn't update. So, thinking that I need to abandon the alternate mission, I instead abandon the whole thing. :argh:

I think the outfiting number is total you've spent on outfitting ever?

305k rebuy would translate to a $6.1mil overall ship cost/value, right?

Yeah a fully A-ranked Cobra 3 is almost exactly the price of an Asp, funny how that works out.

HapXL
Mar 16, 2005
I want to buy a friend a copy of this, but I cant seem to find any place I can select to gift it or the page where I can buy a gift card. Did they remove the gift cards, or am I just missing something?

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

YOU CAN'T MOVE WITH ME IN THIS DIGITAL SPACE
So far I'm 2 for 2 at trying to help the Feds kill a guy and having one of them zoom right into my laser beam and get mad. Is it even worth trying to help out w/that stuff, at least when it takes me a couple minutes to kill most NPCs?

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!

WarLocke posted:

Yeah I've been hosed on these a few times now, I gotta be missing something that lets me tell my pirate quarry to eat poo poo cannons and not turn on my employers.

Also, what's the next upgrade for combat from a Viper? I need more guns. Bigger guns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQvMWD-_Nfo&t=59s

Big big loving guns.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Xae posted:

Did you use a Kill Warrant scanner? The default scan just gives you the bounty in the current system. Kill Warrant scanners access the other systems.

And yes, you do need to fly to the Empire to collect it. Pick up some Rares and experience the life of a Space Trucker.

Ahh, that's it. I thought you got the full bounty right then when you used the scanner.

Time to load up on coke and do some long hauling!

FebrezeNinja
Nov 22, 2007

Well hell, so much for that pilgrimage. If there was an owner the error message would say, right?
At least the journey was worth 480k in cartography.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

FebrezeNinja posted:

Well hell, so much for that pilgrimage. If there was an owner the error message would say, right?

Uh...did you know that the galaxy map tells you if you need a permit or not?

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

FebrezeNinja posted:

Polaris was a Thargoid outpost in Frontier First Encounters

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Xae posted:

Coming from Planetside I'm amazed that they write accurate patch notes and that they don't randomly break half of the game each time they correct a typo.

:soe:

Seriously. During the betas, Frontier was pushing out patches that would make anyone used to Planetside 2 patches weep tears of joy. Bonus, they were doing that poo poo on a fairly regular basis, at some points once every week or two. Huge patches, relatively few issues, and what issues DID crop up were usually patched out in short order. Frontier is loving impressive as hell on that front. It's god damned amazing to see.

Gonkish fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Dec 31, 2014

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
I just bought my Adder so I can join in on trading rare stuff for fun and profit. I remember reading somewhere what to upgrade on it right out of the gate but have no idea where. Would you guys and gals recommend upgrading everything to D class before I try my first run and upgrade to A as time goes on?

Raged fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Dec 31, 2014

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Raged posted:

I just bought my Adder so I can join in on trading rare stuff for fun and profit. I remember reading somewhere what to upgrade on it right out of the gate but have no idea where. Would you guys and gals recommend upgrading everything to D class before I try my first run?

Pretty much, D class everything (don't downgrade your fuel tank), and then as big an FSD you can afford while still being able to actually buy trade goods/pay insurance at least once. D class weighs the least(on top of being relatively inexpensive), but you still want as big an FSD as possible to go along with it so you can go farther once you are loaded up with cargo. EDIT: Example with my Hauler. D class everything, B class FSD. Trips that take 5-7 jumps without quite emptying my fuel tank become 20+ jumps once I have 16 cargo.

Add fuel scoop or remove shields to taste.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Dec 31, 2014

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Raged posted:

I just bought my Adder so I can join in on trading rare stuff for fun and profit. I remember reading somewhere what to upgrade on it right out of the gate but have no idea where. Would you guys and gals recommend upgrading everything to D class before I try my first run?

Make your laden high enough to get the jumps done. One full hold or two of rares will prolly get you in an Cobra

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
Thanks. Found a link to the guide a few pages back. Going to take a bit of work to get the range high enough to make it to George Lucas. Should be fun though till I get murdered.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Dumb weapons question. Does anybody know offhand the lead indicator/projectile speed comparisons between a fixed Cannon, and fixed Flak cannon? Though I get the feeling none of the projectile weapons types will have a lead indicator/projectile speed anywhere near eachother, which is a shame because of how easily you can mix and match laser types from an aiming standpoint (hitscan being what it is :v:)

I know Dumbfire missiles and regular cannons are apparently much more effective than flak cannons, but space shotguns are cool :downs:

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

FebrezeNinja posted:

I'm making a pilgrimage to the Bubble Nebula and stopping at all the nebula on the way there, Veil East has a bunch of permit required systems just outside it. Likewise Bubble nebula itself has some permit required systems too. Kinda lame at Veil East because I just wanted to take some pictures :saddowns:

Toxoplasmid
May 18, 2004

I'm gearing up for an exploration run to somewhere and was checking the map for ideas on a direction. I think I found somewhere to go get a tan at least:

NGC7822 it seems has a long cluster of about 100 of the most rare stars in galaxy, specifically it is chock full of multiple black holes and o-class stars.

Everyone knows that blackholes are cool but I think O-type stars are awesome too. They are the hottest, the brightest, the rarest, and away from the main sequence among the largest supergiant stars.
Even though they live between as little and 4 and 10 million years (just a misucule fraction of the lifetime of an 'ordinary' g-class star like the sun at 10billion years+) when their short lives end, they end spectacularly as a supernova then collapse into themselves to be a black hole or neutron star.
They can be 45,000k at the surface, 10 times hotter than the sun, and are blueish white. They are also huge, anything from 16 times the mass of the our own star, to an unknown size. The largest we have detected started with 320 times the mass of our sun.
It is thought that there are as little as only 20,000 O-class stars in the milky way currently, although strangely because they are so bright they are among the most well known visible stars in the night sky; Alnitak and Mintaka in Orions belt for instance both consist of O-type stars. Their luminosity varies between 10,000 times brighter than the sun for main sequence, to several million times brighter for the supergiant Os which measures as 'loving bright' on most instrumentation and unshielded retinas. They are so bright they light up entire nebulas many light years in size where they are often the central star:

As a consequence of their massive size and huge output, the distance away for the habitable zones for these stars is measured in light years, and even then the atmosphere of an earth like planet would stripped off by the intense solar wind and UV they produce.
Also because they absolutely poo poo UV radiation, they don't just light up but create the beautiful ionisation and erosion patterns in star forming regions like the 'pillars of creation' in the Eagle nebula:

For a sense of the majesty one of the tiny little bubbles spilling off the columns is about the size of our solar system, and the larger pillar is about 6 light years long. (As an aside, these pillars were likely destroyed by a nearby supernova about 6 thousand years ago. We are about 7000 light years away so there's going to be a hell of a show in the year 3000 or thereabouts.)
Space is cool as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

IffyNewtz posted:

I'm gearing up for an exploration run to somewhere and was checking the map for ideas on a direction. I think I found somewhere to go get a tan at least:

NGC7822 it seems has a long cluster of about 100 of the most rare stars in galaxy, specifically it is chock full of multiple black holes and o-class stars.
I went there last week over the course of a few days. I counted over 20 stars with black holes in the system, some with two or even three in the same system. You'll need a pretty hefty range to get out there, I had some stretches where even a 32ly Asp had a bit of trouble navigating. Also encountered this wonderful system on the way out.

• Locked thread