Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

baka kaba posted:

Yeah it's the only way I could do anything. I can't write to the thing at all, and booting into Android makes it almost instantly reset when it tries to do something or other. Can't even wipe it, it's preserved for future generations. It belongs in a museum!

Thanks for your help, and I tried that as well, it's just that my phone did not show up. I am on a mac, adb seems to work fine, the USB driver is installed (androidfiletransfer, from what I can tell), so :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Variable_H posted:

Your Cell Phone is a Piece of poo poo
At least it's a one-off.

Remember when Samsung used bad NAND in some Galaxy S models (I think it was the Canadian one) and they had like a 70% failure rate but they'd replace it once and after that gently caress you?

This is of course the same model that had disconnected GPS antennas in the T-Mobile and AT&T models and lovely GPS in all the others including the Google Nexus S.

Remember how this was good enough to make Samsung the only profitable Android OEM?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Variable_H posted:

Your Cell Phone is a Piece of poo poo

The king is dead, long live the king!

Tell you what though, I was spoiled by them OLED blacks and viewing angles. The Nexus 5 has a nice screen and all, but.......

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

Got a Nexus 6!

Honestly...it's too big. If I hadn't traded my Nexus 5 in to get it (lots of minor damage and scuffs, didn't want to deal with selling it and TMobile gave me nearly $200 for it) I would return it. I love the screen real estate, but I have enormous hands and it is still a bit unwieldy. I've noticed zero performance issues with Lollipop; reviews lamenting its benchmarks are overblown. That said, it feels identical to my N5. Screen is crisp, but my mehhh eyes can't perceive any benefit to 1440p. Build quality is excellent. The turbo charger is too, but the battery life is lackluster. My Nexus 5 had a pretty short battery life, but this feels merely like what phones SHOULD be, not the long life I'd expect out of a 5"+ phone. The location of the headphone jack is dumb.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Nexus 6 battery life is the best I've ever had on a phone, and I love the placement of the headphone jack!

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

LastInLine posted:

At least it's a one-off.

Remember when Samsung used bad NAND in some Galaxy S models (I think it was the Canadian one) and they had like a 70% failure rate but they'd replace it once and after that gently caress you?

This is of course the same model that had disconnected GPS antennas in the T-Mobile and AT&T models and lovely GPS in all the others including the Google Nexus S.

Remember how this was good enough to make Samsung the only profitable Android OEM?

I was thinking about how my Samsung Galaxy S2 Epic 4G Touch wasn't so bad. It was thin, Touchwiz wasn't *so* offensive when Android was semi-broken out of the box, and I never had problems with it.

Except my first one didn't have working wifi out of the box.

And my second one had GPS that never worked correctly -- if it didn't connect, it needed a reboot; and if it did connect, it took forever.

And the battery swelled up and needed to be replaced.

As for the "4G" -- I never once got WiMax to connect, even in downtown SF. I deliberately forced roaming on my phone and streamed Google music while I was sleeping so they would cancel my contract.

Sprint & Samsung should put all their executives on a South Korean ferry.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
I have hands that are probably average to below average in size and after a week of using the N6 I was completely used to it, use it one handed frequently, and am very happy I decided to go with my enormous whalephone

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

When google gets around to updating the stock nexus 6 camera app with the APIs that the L camera thing uses this phone's camera will sing. I like this shooter now but the new APIs look great.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop
Any of the current crop of good Sprint phones not-entirely-hostile to ROM replacement? Just being able to reflash but having that kill battery life/make features not work properly counts as hostile.

I could live with just rooting if the manufacturer+carrier customizations aren't completely awful, too.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

LastInLine posted:

For all you N4 users with the battery issues, it's been two years, it's time to upgrade. You can open it up and change the battery if you want (might as well replace the USB daughterboard while you're at it) but really, why would you? It's old, lacks LTE, and is on the far end of support.

Everything else works fine and depending on where you are LTE may not be a big deal at all.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

kitten smoothie fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Jul 26, 2018

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

and I love the placement of the headphone jack!
Heresy.

Bottom headphone jack for life.

nerve posted:

I have hands that are probably average to below average in size and after a week of using the N6 I was completely used to it, use it one handed frequently, and am very happy I decided to go with my enormous whalephone
My wife uses hers one-handed without issue but she also never uses pockets for anything so probably not analogous to most. I think I'd get used to using it but I doubt I'd ever get used to carrying it.

dissss posted:

Everything else works fine and depending on where you are LTE may not be a big deal at all.
I did specifically mention that I was talking to all those whose Nexus 4s were not working fine, to be fair.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

CLAM DOWN posted:

Nexus 6 battery life is the best I've ever had on a phone, and I love the placement of the headphone jack!

Agreed, it's exceeded my expectations in every way. Battery destroys the Note 3, camera is better than expected and also better than Note 3, 1440p is a noticable improvement over 1080p, Lollipop is wonderful, speakers are incredible, if anything my problem is it's too skinny and I can't find a way to block calls/notifications. Like there are options but people still interrupt games/videos etc.

I don't really care about headphone placement except that on the bottom would make car usage annoying for my set up.

edit: vvv height difference between N6 and iPhone 6+ is like 1.2mm if I remember correctly. i.e. nothing.

UnfortunateSexFart fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Dec 31, 2014

Ochowie
Nov 9, 2007

So, about 8 hours in with the N6. It seems to be about the same height or shorter than the iPhone 6+ and fits in my jeans better. I miss reachability in certain places but not too badly. Holy poo poo is lollipop an improvement. The last time I used an android phone was the SGS3 (jellybean?) and this is hands down better. Not sure I'm convinced to switching over from an iPhone (handoff and continuity are pretty awesome) but this is definitely a step in the right direction. Might go and play with a Moto X to see which one is better.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG
Can all of you just answer the question that really matters and tell us how playing Hearthstone is on it?

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001

Ochowie posted:

Hey Android thread. I'm considering switching from an iPhone 6+ to either an N6 or a Moto X. I have the N6 on order but I'm not sure about a phone bigger than the 6+. Also, I kind of like the Moto Maker option with the Moto X. What are the general thoughts on which of the two phones to get?

N6 and the 6+ are the same size. The screen is bigger on the Nexus though because it almost has no bezel.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
Just picked up a moto x 2014 and I'm having a hard time going back to jelly bean.

Has there been any word when lollipop will be rolling out in Canada?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

b0nes posted:

N6 and the 6+ are the same size. The screen is bigger on the Nexus though because it almost has no bezel.

Nah the Nexus is quite a lot thicker and a lot wider

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

RVProfootballer posted:

If you're ok with doing a factory reset, you can always put KitKat back on it and not update it back to Lollipop for awhile. Then you can be more confident that it is or is not a hardware problem.

I'll probably end up doing this. I really don't care one way or the other about Lollipop other than its new. Just going to convert it to dumbphone status for now. I am far, far too lazy with OSes to gently caress around with it much, I just want to be able to use duolingo and check the twitters.

Demon_Corsair posted:

Just picked up a moto x 2014 and I'm having a hard time going back to jelly bean.

Has there been any word when lollipop will be rolling out in Canada?

Not sure, but I'm in Canada. Me and a friend got the notif a few weeks ago, but my boyfriend hasn't yet.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe

MC Hawking fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Jul 20, 2018

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="439595143"]
Can all of you just answer the question that really matters and tell us how playing Hearthstone is on it?

I'd assume awesome. Because its rad as gently caress on my G3.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

dissss posted:

It's not as tall though, a few millimeters shorter, which looks a lot smaller thanks to the far smaller bezels when you put it next to the iPhone. And thicker is relative - it's narrower on the edges, thicker in the middle. Having handled both (my brother-in-law has a iPhone 6+, I have the N6), the N6 feels a lot better in the hand and pocket to me. The iPhone 6+ on the other hand is better if you use your phone lying on the desk, despite the small camera bump.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

dissss posted:

It's <3mm thicker and 5mm wider. Are we actually counting that as a "lot" in this day and age?

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

EbolaIvory posted:

I'd assume awesome. Because its rad as gently caress on my G3.

I was so not into Hearthstone on PC, but it's the perfect phone game.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Knuc U Kinte posted:

I was so not into Hearthstone on PC, but it's the perfect phone game.

Yep. I still play it on my PC some but I play it waaaaay more now that my phone runs it.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Decius posted:

It's not as tall though, a few millimeters shorter

Actually not true - it is just a hair taller than the iPhone

CLAM DOWN posted:

It's <3mm thicker and 5mm wider. Are we actually counting that as a "lot" in this day and age?

Definitely enough to be signficant

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Ochowie posted:

(handoff and continuity are pretty awesome)

Try out AirDroid.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Thanks for the help regarding my broken S5, got it to the store and they sent it in for repair.
As replacement for now they gave me a Nokia with a physical keyboard.

Holy poo poo 2000 called, they want their phone back.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Michaellaneous posted:

Thanks for the help regarding my broken S5, got it to the store and they sent it in for repair.
As replacement for now they gave me a Nokia with a physical keyboard.

Holy poo poo 2000 called, they want their phone back.

Count yourself lucky - our work loaners are still HTC Touch2s with tiny resistive touchscreens (and missing styluses). A physical keyboard is a downright luxury compared to that hell.

Torix
Nov 9, 2005

My old rear end Droid Bionic finally called it quits last night. I only upgrade once I feel like I don't have a choice so it's been like five years and I've been out of the Android/smartphone loop for a while.

Since I don't upgrade very often, I don't mind paying for the best thing out there at the time. I've got Verizon - I'm looking at the Galaxy Note 4 and the Droid Turbo. Both phones seem to be good spec-wise. My coworker has a Note 4 and I think the screen looks gorgeous and it seems to take great pictures, but on the other hand I've never seen or used a Turbo so it may do all the same things just as well.

I'm heading to the store after work today to look at them myself, but since I haven't had much time to do a lot of research and see a lot of opinions, I'm just wondering if anyone knows any real advantages/disadvantages either of them might have over the other. Or whether there's a third Verizon option I might not be aware of yet.

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="439595143"]

Play store says my device isn't compatible with this version :(

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

Torix posted:

My old rear end Droid Bionic finally called it quits last night. I only upgrade once I feel like I don't have a choice so it's been like five years and I've been out of the Android/smartphone loop for a while.

Since I don't upgrade very often, I don't mind paying for the best thing out there at the time. I've got Verizon - I'm looking at the Galaxy Note 4 and the Droid Turbo. Both phones seem to be good spec-wise. My coworker has a Note 4 and I think the screen looks gorgeous and it seems to take great pictures, but on the other hand I've never seen or used a Turbo so it may do all the same things just as well.

I'm heading to the store after work today to look at them myself, but since I haven't had much time to do a lot of research and see a lot of opinions, I'm just wondering if anyone knows any real advantages/disadvantages either of them might have over the other. Or whether there's a third Verizon option I might not be aware of yet.

Get the Turbo. Samsung has a bad habit of not updating their older phones to the latest version of Android, so if you plan to keep the Note 4 for the same amount of time as the bionic, you're going to be left in the dark.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Reposting because I got missed before:

My Note 4 keeps "losing" my wifi trusted credentials for my work wifi. Every morning when I come in, I have to modify the wifi settings for this network and my CA Certificate and User Certificate will say "(unspecified)". If I try to click the menu to select my certificate, it won't appear in the list. If I go look in the Trusted Credentials screen in system settings, the cert is definitely there! Nevertheless, the only way to get it to work is to reinstall the certificate and reselect it on the wifi settings. It'll then work for the rest of the day, but every morning I do this dance.

I've even tried re-exporting the certificate from my computer to make sure it wasn't a corrupt cert file.
Trying to prevent this being missed again.

And no, I'm not rooted. No modifications whatsoever.

After some more loving around, it also loses the ability to see the certs after a reboot. I'd tried deleting all my credentials, rebooting, installing the new ones, rebooting, and then connecting to wifi, but at that last step the installed credential didn't appear in the wifi menu, even though they're right there in the trusted credentials security screen. After re-reinstalling them from my email they're working (for now).

This is honestly one of the most obnoxious bugs I've ever had to deal with.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Mooktastical posted:

Get the Turbo. Samsung has a bad habit of not updating their older phones to the latest version of Android, so if you plan to keep the Note 4 for the same amount of time as the bionic, you're going to be left in the dark.

Considering the bionic topped out at 4.1 or something do you really think that's his main concern?

All OEMs are pretty much doing 2 years of updates at this point, and Samsung is pushing into 2.5 territory for Lollipop at this point.

That being said, the Turbo is likely the best overall phone out today. Though the Note4s top of the line screen and excellent camera are still better.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Hey, I've got a Galaxy S3 running update 4.4.2, and I accidentally deleted the camera folder (and with it, all the pictures I've ever taken with my phone). I really, really need a way to recover those images. Is there anything that's free that can do that? I'd rather not pay for something unless y'all say it's great.

vvvv Oh goddamnit, I didn't even realize that was a thing. Now I'm extra pissed at myself. vvvvv

Soysaucebeast fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Dec 31, 2014

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Just download them all from your free Google+ backup.

You do have a Google+ backup, right?

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
How Verizoned up is the Z3v? Friend is asking for a new non-Motorola, smaller-than-Galaxy-S3 phone, but I recall hearing they REALLY Verizoned the poo poo out of that thing, even if my wife loves her Z3c.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Deathlove posted:

How Verizoned up is the Z3v? Friend is asking for a new non-Motorola, smaller-than-Galaxy-S3 phone, but I recall hearing they REALLY Verizoned the poo poo out of that thing, even if my wife loves her Z3c.

It is a rebranded full size Z2, not a Z3c. Only option for your friend is moving to a carrier compatible with Z3c, iPhone 5s, or sucking it up and going with a 2013 Moto X.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

kitten smoothie posted:

It's not the phone's fault that an aftermarket ROM kills battery or has broken features.

I mean AOSP not goofy dumb-named roms that sound like 1990s BBS handles. The problem is when a phone puts in wacky hardware that you have to hack-in drivers for or try to shoehorn in manufacturer binaries into an otherwise unmodified system. Obviously the nexus or whatever won't have that issue since it runs AOSP by default, but are there others that are not particularly unfriendly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

It breaks my head to think that my Nexus 6 left China on 12/29 and was delivered this morning.

Anybody add a tempered glass to one yet? Not sure which one to order off amazon