Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Rorus Raz posted:

So did the GOP/Tea Party just corrupt their up-and-comers with a lunacy that turns them off to the general public, or are they just unable to find any new candidates besides this aging cast of white guys?
both!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

euphronius posted:

Presidential threads are the best DNd has to offer.
i really enjoyed watching democrats panic during the 2012 elections as if obama getting re-elected wasn't a certainty from the start of the republican primaries onwards

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Idaho was once home to a state rep named Helen Chenoweth. Chenoweth is famous for statements like "salmon aren't threatened, I see them in cans all the time" and "there aren't many minorities in Idaho because it is too cold."

Chenoweth was an ardent crusader against seat belt and helmet laws. She died in a collision when she was not wearing a seat belt. Her soul was flung free of the crash and ascended to heaven.

Idaho's state song begins "Here we have Idaho, making her way to fame."

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Yeah remember the first debate lol.

And in the end of didn't matter because Obama is horrible.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

FactsAreUseless posted:

Idaho was once home to a state rep named Helen Chenoweth. Chenoweth is famous for statements like "salmon aren't threatened, I see them in cans all the time" and "there aren't many minorities in Idaho because it is too cold."

Chenoweth was an ardent crusader against seat belt and helmet laws. She died in a collision when she was not wearing a seat belt. Her soul was flung free of the crash and ascended to heaven.

Idaho's state song begins "Here we have Idaho, making her way to fame."

did she fistbump Jorg Haider as she floated to Fascist Car Crash Valhalla

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

R. Mute posted:

so it'll be a slightly less overwhelming repeat of 2008, but with equally insane primaries. that's nice to know.

More moderates this time, though. 2012 had Mitt and a dozen wackjobs. 2016 is gonna have probably half and half wackjobs and Serious People.

Whether this is good or bad for their chances is debateable. More moderates (and boy does it feel weird to call people like Jeb the moderate options) might mean a better shot for the Republicans to get a halfway decent candidate, but if they split the moderate vote long enough, it could also allow their electorally-untenable wackjobs to stay in the race longer.

R. Mute posted:

same thing for latino voters and how they'll treat marco rubio in the primaries

e: excuse me, i guess ted cruz is The Latino Republican atm

difference between rubio and cruz is that Rubio had decent support among cuban-americans and had some chance of extending this to other latinos with his softening on immigration.

whereas latinos hate Ted Cruz and will always hate Ted Cruz because he is terrible.

Also Rubio is handsome whereas Cruz has the world's worst face.

Rubio was the latino presidential candidate the GoP needed, but (fortunately) not the latino presidential candidate they deserve.

His presidential hopes might be more-or-less nixed for now, but he'd probably make a fine Veep pick for some fat old white nominee.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.
it still loving disturbs me that Rubio and Cruz are the same age

it's like cruz shot lightning from his hands at obama during the state of the union and obama turned it back on him

power ... unlimited legislative power ...

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

R. Mute posted:

they're going to hammer clinton on bill's infidelity while wondering why women won't vote for them and it will be funny

I don't think fox news making republican dad jokes about *snickers* beejays constitutes hammering.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

PupsOfWar posted:

More moderates this time, though. 2012 had Mitt and a dozen wackjobs. 2016 is gonna have probably half and half wackjobs and Serious People.

Whether this is good or bad for their chances is debateable. More moderates (and boy does it feel weird to call people like Jeb the moderate options) might mean a better shot for the Republicans to get a halfway decent candidate, but if they split the moderate vote long enough, it could also allow their electorally-untenable wackjobs to stay in the race longer.
like... who do you count as a moderate besides maybe jeb and mitt? mitt's unelectable and now has no way of getting out of the primaries because jeb's there as the new, non-totally-crazy Not Mitt Romney. jeb himself i know very little about other than the fact that his name is jeb and he's bush III - but i guarantee you he'll have a bunch of skeletons in his closet, bedroom, living room, yard, hummer, etc. just like mitt had. the only person who can gently caress it up for hillary is hillary herself. and maybe bill.

quote:

difference between rubio and cruz is that Rubio had decent support among cuban-americans and had some chance of extending this to other latinos with his softening on immigration.

whereas latinos hate Ted Cruz and will always hate Ted Cruz because he is terrible.

Rubio's presidential hopes might be more-or-less nixed for now, but he'd probably make a fine Veep pick for some fat old white nominee.
the problem is that you can't have both the republican base and latinos (except maybe the cubans because they're pretty horrible sorry warszawa) and if they have to pick they'll probably have to go for the republican base - thus pissing off latinos.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

syscall girl posted:

I don't think fox news making republican dad jokes about *snickers* beejays constitutes hammering.
maybe badgering would be a more fitting word

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.
ughhhhhhhh

also boogie nights is a real good movie. man don cheadle owns.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

share your feelings, warszawa

e: not just your totally correct feelings about don cheadle

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

R. Mute posted:

like... who do you count as a moderate besides maybe jeb and mitt?

Scott Walker, John Kasich, Mike Pence, George Pataki.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Joementum posted:

Scott Walker, John Kasich, Mike Pence, George Pataki.
one mitt romney and three jon huntsmen?

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

Jeb Bush is a moderate in that George W Bush was at the time considered a moderate.

Makes you think.

Not really I'm going home to play video games

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

My Imaginary GF posted:

...ceterum censeo Saint Louis esse delendam.
Well.. East St. Louis, sure.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

R. Mute posted:

one mitt romney and three jon huntsmen?

Yeah, but consider that there's a good chance the Obama coalition doesn't turn out in 2016.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Compassionate conservatism.

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "

R. Mute posted:

like... who do you count as a moderate besides maybe jeb and mitt? mitt's unelectable and now has no way of getting out of the primaries

Deep in R'yleh, Nixon stirs

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Joementum posted:

Yeah, but consider that there's a good chance the Obama coalition doesn't turn out in 2016.
Idk people said this in 2012 and he somehow increased his share of the minority vote

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
What Old/rich horrors lurk

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Joementum posted:

I'm pretty confident Hillary will be able to build a motivated coalition in 2016 (and yes I'd like Warren better, but I think most everyone will hold their noses and vote realpolitik). Whereas it will take a political Napoleon to build a coalition for the Republicans.

mooyashi posted:

Deep in R'yleh, Nixon stirs

...and with strange aeons even scandals may die.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

Idk people said this in 2012 and he somehow increased his share of the minority vote

Yeah, but Obama was on the ballot in 2012.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
I bet Ron Paul won't win

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
To be clear, I think Hillary wins in 2016, but if the minority vote turnout is close to what it was in any election except 2008 or 2012, she loses.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
well, Gawker cracked the case of who Dunham's rapist was

spoiler brietbart is full of loving idiots

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Joementum posted:

To be clear, I think Hillary wins in 2016, but if the minority vote turnout is close to what it was in any election except 2008 or 2012, she loses.
you gotta consider that obama's presidency pushed racial issues even further to the foreground than in the years before. the minority vote turnout may not be as great as in 2008-2012, but i reckon it'll be close enough.

isn't there a non-white vp she can go for? or does she need an Old White Man like obama did to make her acceptable?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

R. Mute posted:

isn't there a non-white vp she can go for? or does she need an Old White Man like obama did to make her acceptable?

In theory, Julian Casto got the HUD Secretary job for exactly this reason. Cory Booker and Deval Patrick would also be reasonable minority VP choices.

She'll probably pick a white dude.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

R. Mute posted:

you gotta consider that obama's presidency pushed racial issues even further to the foreground than in the years before. the minority vote turnout may not be as great as in 2008-2012, but i reckon it'll be close enough.

Many are hoping for Julian Castro, former (extremely popular and successful) San Antonio Mayor and current HUD secretary. He's cool and charismatic, but she might want somebody with more clout.

Deval Patrick is another possibility.

She might end up needing a white guy, but she probably shouldn't pick a particularly old one given her own age. Warner or Tim Kaine could be good compromise picks, being bland, experienced and not ancient.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
I support whichever candidate promises to do his best to get Edward Snowden renditioned and interred in Guantanamo.

(My New Year's resolutions lead to me becoming politically softer, so I'll stop requesting the death penalty for Snowden once the candidates are announced.)

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

You Almost made me mad randler

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Ich bin sehr bose!

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
Edwards Snowden was a willing instrument in illegal attacks on the privacy of millions of people. He just has the bad luck of being the one guy where the interests of people who want to see those guys punished and the interest of large parts of the American political scene actually align when it comes to punishment. (Though the reasons why he should be punished probably diverge.) :shrug:

The fact that he caused the media to bring more publicity to the already known espionage programs of the United States is not a migitating factor for his crimes.

While there are probably people more deserving of harsh and possibly extrajudical punishment, he is the only one who might actually realistically get some.

Randler fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Dec 31, 2014

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

euphronius posted:

Compassionate conservatism.

That ill fated combination of words always makes me think of The Handmaid's Tale for some reason.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Ill fated? It was Karl roves greatest success aside from Maybe 2003 Iraq

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
I'll say it: I don't really want to vote for Hillary Clinton.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Jerry Seinfeld aged badly

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Benededict cumberpatch as Alan Turing is amazing.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

StandardVC10 posted:

I'll say it: I don't really want to vote for Hillary Clinton.

You don't have to. I never voted for Barack Obama and never would.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

PupsOfWar posted:

Is there a functional difference these days? I mean, what policy are you going to see from the whackjobs that won't be identical to the Serious People?

• Locked thread