Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrzA-ZHKLR4

Here's some footage of me getting savaged by a random dude who turned out to have his own Lets Play channel. I am bad at this game.

EDIT: First match.

Jonas Albrecht fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Dec 30, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

Jonas Albrecht posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrzA-ZHKLR4

Here's some footage of me getting savaged by a random dude who turned out to have his own Lets Play channel. I am bad at this game.

EDIT: First match.

Youtube personalities are unpopular on SA but shofu rules

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
that loving roll-read into rest against samus, holy gently caress

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Sade posted:

Youtube personalities are unpopular on SA but shofu rules

I've been enjoying the rest of his For Glory series.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
He does rule, except for when he says something, thinks it's really funny, and then says it 100 more times.

Call me damage.

Call me damage.

Damage!

Call me damage!

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I've been reading a lot of roll-aways after misses and its been working pretty well. If someone whiffs a move they will probably roll backwards, so I just run an extra bit towards them and grab. As long as I actually run as far as their roll goes it works like a charm and makes me feel smart. Of course really good players rarely do this, and I would probably just be getting bodied anyway

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I have no idea how to deal with lil mac as samus. Everything I have is either sluggish, low priority, or lovely range, it's hard to even punish his dash on block.

Maybe I should try poking with the air grapple more but considering how he has moves with super armor that might just be setting myself up for punishes.

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Dec 30, 2014

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

IronicDongz posted:

I have no idea how to deal with lil mac as samus. Everything I have is either sluggish, low priority, or lovely range, it's hard to even punish his dash on block.

Maybe I should try poking with the air grapple more but considering how he has moves with super armor that might just be setting myself up for punishes.

Little Mac is fast but has awful grabs and terrible cooldowns. Shielding is basically your best friend, along with quick grabs or counter attacks, and staying near ledges to abuse Little Mac's awful recovery (or hope he side-Bs into oblivion). If you're playing as Samus, abuse the extremely long ranges if your tilts and the swiftness of your down tilt. If you want to edge-guard easily, your up special can be used very effectively against Little Mac's recoveries.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

Theta Zero posted:

Little Mac is fast but has awful grabs and terrible cooldowns. Shielding is basically your best friend, along with quick grabs or counter attacks, and staying near ledges to abuse Little Mac's awful recovery (or hope he side-Bs into oblivion). If you're playing as Samus, abuse the extremely long ranges if your tilts and the swiftness of your down tilt. If you want to edge-guard easily, your up special can be used very effectively against Little Mac's recoveries.

Also, little mac has pretty crap aerials, and Samus has a great anti-ground game moveset (heavy missiles, down-smash and her dash attack.)

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
Most little macs will just dash attack at you blindly, which is easily shielded and punished. Samus's ground normals, and her tilts in particular, are long pokes ideal for keeping Mac out of your face. Downsmash is great and so are missiles, like Bruegels said. Don't forget dash attack combos into up-air!

Slur
Mar 6, 2013

It's the Final Countdown.
It's 14 pages later, but I want to thank ChaosArgate and Kingofsprings for giving great guides on how to play Robin. I have improved a ton since seeing what you can do with him/her.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

IronicDongz posted:

This is Samus' worst iteration, you're coming to learn it. Pretty soon you'll realize you have no priority, a bad zoning game, predictable attacks, movement and really limited options. That's when you'll drop Samus for good because she's terrible.

Your best bet against Mac is to get him off the ledge and try and gimp him with projectiles, it's the only advantage you have over him.

cheese783
May 8, 2006
whoops
Just got this game and jumped into some online For Fun matches. Christ it's hard to make my guy go where and do what I want him to do. When did I get so bad at fighting games?

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

Hey I know Smash 4 is the poo poo but there's been a lull of Project M activity lately. It's been a while but VGbootcamp is hosting PM as the main event for tonight's Xanadu, so come check it out if that's a thing you're into.

http://www.twitch.tv/vgbootcamp

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Sire Oblivion posted:

This is Samus' worst iteration, you're coming to learn it. Pretty soon you'll realize you have no priority, a bad zoning game, predictable attacks, movement and really limited options. That's when you'll drop Samus for good because she's terrible.

Your best bet against Mac is to get him off the ledge and try and gimp him with projectiles, it's the only advantage you have over him.
That's funny, 'cause it seems like a lot of samu's stuff is actually better than Brawl-it's just that she was seriously terrible there, and most everyone else has improved as well.

I have no idea why they nerfed her down-smash at all, though, let alone as much as they did. Worse damage, way worse knockback... maybe they thought a good down-smash to catch predicted rolls would be too much space control for a character who also has heavy projectiles? Still weird.

It's becoming more and more clear to me that the characters I like the most just aren't good.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Honestly, just give samus the mii gunner's smash attacks. They're way better and they make more sense for her, and that would mean the single worst up-smash to ever exist could finally be laid to rest

Fhate
Feb 15, 2007

"Appended to its own quotation is false" appended to its own quotation is false.

Sire Oblivion posted:

I actually do pretty well with Samus in 1v1 For Glory. I usually bust her out against people I notice aren't good at dealing with projectiles. Her dash shoulder-tackle is pretty fast and goes surprisingly far, and you can bait/switch people with her charged shot and her throw. Her up-air is very nice for juggling, and a lot of her animations are very jerky looking, and you can easily trick people into thinking you're doing a jab combo or a tilt when you're actually doing a front smash. Her little down-B bombs aren't great for dealing much damage but they can make your descent unpredictable, and used correctly they can prevent juggling in a lot of situations.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

F. Lobot posted:

Hey I know Smash 4 is the poo poo but there's been a lull of Project M activity lately. It's been a while but VGbootcamp is hosting PM as the main event for tonight's Xanadu, so come check it out if that's a thing you're into.

http://www.twitch.tv/vgbootcamp

wait so they aren't streaming the smash 4 tournament at all tonight, or is it just pushed back to later?

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

if you think a character is bad perhaps consider that it may be you who is bad, instead.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

sharrrk posted:

if you think a character is bad perhaps consider that it may be you who is bad, instead.

Meta Knight actually is bad now though

Maple Leaf
Aug 24, 2010

Let'en my post flyen true

Macaluso posted:

Meta Knight actually is bad now though

I'd disagree. He's not the powerhouse he was, but he still feels fine, especially after his 1.04 buff.

The one character I'd really call terrible is Mii Swordfighter.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.
A character being "terrible" in Smash 4 is at least more because they're "not that good" instead of actually being terrible though.

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

mabels big day posted:

wait so they aren't streaming the smash 4 tournament at all tonight, or is it just pushed back to later?

They're streaming Smash 4 top 3 after PM ends.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

F. Lobot posted:

They're streaming Smash 4 top 3 after PM ends.

:/

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Maple Leaf posted:

I'd disagree. He's not the powerhouse he was, but he still feels fine, especially after his 1.04 buff.

The one character I'd really call terrible is Mii Swordfighter.

He's okay if you make his build really short and really skinny...but yeah, he's generally pretty bad.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Anyone want to play some online with myself and a buddy?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I'm down. NNID is Lazymaybe.

Amgard
Dec 28, 2006

Also down, add Resro

edit: Mario caping me on my Rollout so I fly off the map was a :laffo: move

Amgard fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Dec 31, 2014

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Added

Ozdhaka
Oct 20, 2012
I really should join in on online stuff, but so far I'm just beating challenges at the moment; just finished 9.0 with no customs an hour ago.

I'm kind of surprised that ground Raptor Boost one-shots Miis (so lol Fighting Mii Team), but drat I really need to practice the Master forms more for the 9.0, no stock loss run.

NNID is R-Grave, and I'll accept any friend requests.

Apt Funk
Nov 2, 2012
If you're using Captain Falcon, just use your dash attack. Cleans up those Mii's really quickly.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
Raptor Boost is also a lot stronger this game and is even a valid kill move in normal battles if they're damaged enough.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Raptor Boost kills around 100%, which is frankly awesome.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
http://smashboards.com/threads/sakurai-smash-as-a-competitive-game-has-no-future.384952

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

Is little mac's dash attack safe on block? I seem to be getting caught by a follow up Gatling when I try to punish with a grab or anything.

Waverhouse
Jun 8, 2009

A highly sophisticated simpleton.
Sakurai never fails to break my heart.

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

when i dip you dip we dip
yo anybody wanna fight???????????????

nnid is kewpuh add for fight

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Kewpuh posted:

we should fight

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

when i dip you dip we dip

TheKingofSprings posted:

we should fight

aight lets do this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg

Kewpuh posted:

alright get ready to fight a p okay ness and a mediocre villager and a somewhat competent kirby (once i get off work)

• Locked thread