Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
So it's a status thing? Only the important guys rank high enough to earn a pistol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Yeah it's a status/"you gone and hosed up now son" type thing. It didn't work every time, but playing off the fear of the past regime is really effective at crowd management over there.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
That's a neat war anecdote.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN
My go-to excuse for why I couldn't stop and visit was always "my sergeant will beat me if I do" because Arabs understand that, right?

anne frank fanfic
Oct 31, 2005
Non deploying navy fail fags whove never heard the pistol story before found, nice job wimps. Next youll be telling us youve never heard afghans refer to americans as russian and chem lights being used to make force fields and dick sucking/anal fingering actually being really cool to do while deployed with your wife at home cause it relieves some stress, you queer navy fucks

anne frank fanfic
Oct 31, 2005
Whoa, theres a pool where saddam executed some soccer team? And cumming in a dudes mouth might feel better than a womans? No way!--some gay navy retard whos never deployed, fag

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I'm an AF vet and I've deployed to the Dutch Caribbean. How about you show some goddamn respect?

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

holocaust bloopers posted:

I'm an AF vet and I've deployed to the Dutch Caribbean. How about you show some goddamn respect?

thanks 4 ur service

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

You should thank us for your service.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

anne frank fanfic posted:

Non deploying navy fail fags whove never heard the pistol story before found, nice job wimps. Next youll be telling us youve never heard afghans refer to americans as russian and chem lights being used to make force fields and dick sucking/anal fingering actually being really cool to do while deployed with your wife at home cause it relieves some stress, you queer navy fucks
Uhhh I was in Afghanistan and we had gay chem light dick sucking raves all the time :confused:

Also, cornhole with nods.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Spicy Guacamole posted:

Also, corn hole with nods.

expert mode no depth perception challenge

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
That pistol thing is not true and anyone who says different is a loving liar, on par with some brit saying he bayonetted people while clearing houses.

lol

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

FISTS CURE WOMEN posted:

That pistol thing is not true and anyone who says different is a loving liar, on par with some brit saying he bayonetted people while clearing houses.

lol

Soldier who led Afghanistan bayonet charge into hail of bullets honoured

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

FISTS CURE WOMEN posted:

lol

I bet it does jack poo poo now. But it worked (most of the time) when Iraqis thought all marines had to kill their family to join or that nods are literally magic. Or any of the other fifty million things they would believe.

I question your faith in the average Iraqi civilian intelligence.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Uh, that invokes colonial overtones and I find it problematic. Please don't do it anymore TIA.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

The weirdest thing about my career is that was my least enjoyable deployment. Certainly can't call it bad, but it was definitely the one I had the least fun on.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

Godholio posted:

The weirdest thing about my career is that was my least enjoyable deployment. Certainly can't call it bad, but it was definitely the one I had the least fun on.

That's because the Caribbean is just West Africa with better advertising

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Booblord Zagats posted:

That's because the Caribbean is just West Africa with better advertising

'Bola and the beach.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Y'all can read more about my deployment at cisvet.tumbler.com

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Vasudus posted:

I thank my lucky stars that all the times I fired warning shots at civs I never had a bad ricochet. Because seriously what the gently caress. I've seen/heard some absolutely insane things happen with those.

The correct way to handle a crowd is to pull out your 9mm anyway. Iraqis will flip you the bird if you've got a full squad of rifles and a 50 pointed at them, but pull out a 9mm and poo poo gets real.

Same thing with the Afghans. The explanation I heard was that the Russians executed guys with pistols. Everything else is abstract, but if you flash a pistol they think you're about to put one in their dome.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

Yep he sure actually stabbed someone in that "charge" too didn't he?

Vasudus posted:

I bet it does jack poo poo now. But it worked (most of the time) when Iraqis thought all marines had to kill their family to join or that nods are literally magic. Or any of the other fifty million things they would believe.

I question your faith in the average Iraqi civilian intelligence.

Mmmhmm yes because this is all very true and realistic.

Frosted Flake posted:

Same thing with the Afghans. The explanation I heard was that the Russians executed guys with pistols. Everything else is abstract, but if you flash a pistol they think you're about to put one in their dome.

Is GiP just full of idiots who have never actually done anything in the military now?

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

FISTS CURE WOMEN posted:

Is GiP just full of idiots who have never actually done anything in the military now?

I thought GiP was mostly a safe space for chickenhawks with reprehensible opinions at this point

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Smiling Jack posted:

I thought GiP was mostly a safe space for chickenhawks with reprehensible opinions at this point

also butts and dogs

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

FISTS CURE WOMEN posted:

I'll have you know they had to re-write the RoEs when I cleverly side-stepped all international laws of warfare by targeting enemy belt buckles with a ma deuce.

Now who is the idiot.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Victor Vermis posted:

I'll have you know they had to re-write the RoEs when I cleverly side-stepped all international laws of warfare by targeting enemy belt buckles with a ma deuce.

Now who is the idiot.
That's dumb because it'll still blast them in half. You want to aim for their canteen so that it only blows their arms off.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
Current events thread

So shut the gently caress up about war

Last war ended 2 days ago

This is a peacetime thread

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

poo poo has gone downhill every since Mr Rogers left the corps.

Spicy Guacamole posted:

That's dumb because it'll still blast them in half. You want to aim for their canteen so that it only blows their arms off.

pro move is to fire 50 cal "warning shots." The air pressure is so extreme it will kill anyone who the bullet flies next to. Oohrah

Best Friends
"Face Front Towards Enemey"
:twisted:

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Zeris posted:

Current events thread

So shut the gently caress up about war

Last war ended 2 days ago

This is a peacetime thread

Is Iraq part III a war yet? It has a snazzy operation name now.

Also In actual current events, sounds like we blew up some more al-Shahab dudes. I know that one's not a war but I don't know what else you call using military force to achieve political ends.

Oh wait we don't have any political ends, we're just trying to kill people.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

Zeris posted:

Current events thread

If you don't see the correlation between urban warfare myths and the academic perception that the modern US military is FAILING to adapt to 4th generation warfare then I don't even know.

It isn't failing. It isn't trying. Because voters don't give a poo poo about counterinsurgency anymore than they give a poo poo about social reform. Kill the browns/Arrest the browns. Just don't pee on them or bring a glock to a centuries-of-oppression-fueled fist fight.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

iyaayas01 posted:

Is Iraq part III a war yet? It has a snazzy operation name now.

Don't you remember? It's Operation Extended Warranty.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

Victor Vermis posted:

If you don't see the correlation between urban warfare myths and the academic perception that the modern US military is FAILING to adapt to 4th generation warfare then I don't even know.

It isn't failing. It isn't trying. Because voters don't give a poo poo about counterinsurgency anymore than they give a poo poo about social reform. Kill the browns/Arrest the browns. Just don't pee on them or bring a glock to a centuries-of-oppression-fueled fist fight.

We just weren't agile enough for these wars. We need US army battalion combat teams. Critical MOS shortages preventing this configuration, otherwise necessary to ensure six months of fighting/sustainability operations on foreign land, will be met by financial incentives, waivers, and lots o' women and gays.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

Is there a Time Machine Operator MOS? That might be a good start for un-loving the middle east.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

I'm just going to tell these 19 year olds with barely any education or experience with people other than themselves that they are going to a land full of evil savages who personally destroyed the world trade center, and that their mission in life is to kill, then i'm going to act extremely shocked and disappointed when some of them actually shoot iraqis. then i'm going to go on television and assure america that we are building a new, better, democratic iraq once the security conditions improve. then, I'm going to ask the 19 year olds to tear down some schools so iraqi peasants from the other kind of islam can build a fortress there instead. then i'm going to be extremely shocked when some iraqi peasants from the other kind of islam kill rape and pillage the local area.

Oh no, it didn't work! It was probably because we didn't have enough "will."

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Asian airlines go one for three on finding missing airplanes in 2014, dashing mother nature's hopes for a no-hitter

http://edition.cnn.com/2014/12/30/world/asia/airasia-missing-plane/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

meanwhile, in a landlocked ancient shithole

hmmm, pouring infinite money into the most backwards, corrupt society on earth has not actually translated into scalable, viable infrastructure projects. and somehow, this society full of people who cannot read has not become a functioning democracy either.

man, this lack of will is sure killing us here. just not enough gumption really. just need to put our backs into it.

Courthouse
Jul 23, 2013

Best Friends posted:

I'm just going to tell these 19 year olds with barely any education or experience with people other than themselves that they are going to a land full of evil savages who personally destroyed the world trade center, and that their mission in life is to kill, then i'm going to act extremely shocked and disappointed when some of them actually shoot iraqis. then i'm going to go on television and assure america that we are building a new, better, democratic iraq once the security conditions improve. then, I'm going to ask the 19 year olds to tear down some schools so iraqi peasants from the other kind of islam can build a fortress there instead. then i'm going to be extremely shocked when some iraqi peasants from the other kind of islam kill rape and pillage the local area.

Oh no, it didn't work! It was probably because we didn't have enough "will."

meanwhile, in a landlocked ancient shithole

hmmm, pouring infinite money into the most backwards, corrupt society on earth has not actually translated into scalable, viable infrastructure projects. and somehow, this society full of people who cannot read has not become a functioning democracy either.

man, this lack of will is sure killing us here. just not enough gumption really. just need to put our backs into it.

iyaayas01 posted:

Also In actual current events, sounds like we blew up some more al-Shahab dudes. I know that one's not a war but I don't know what else you call using military force to achieve political ends.

Oh wait we don't have any political ends, we're just trying to kill people.

At this point we have pretty much accepted that western military might is incapable of achieving any kind of goal or strategic progress, much less something approaching "victory", and is capable only of sowing further death, murder, ruin and destruction through the greater middle east.

And I think most people in this thread are fine with that.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Smiling Jack posted:

Still angry about Lexington and Concord eh

:thurman:

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

Asian airlines go one for three on finding missing airplanes in 2014, dashing mother nature's hopes for a no-hitter

http://edition.cnn.com/2014/12/30/world/asia/airasia-missing-plane/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

2/3, pretty sure they found the one in Ukraine as well. If you round up that's practically passing.

http://observer.com/2014/12/russians-rage-against-america/

Russians mad. Ruble down more, things going to start looking grim over there soon.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Don't get mad at us because your economy is poo poo and can't stand on its own legs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Victor Vermis posted:

Is there a Time Machine Operator MOS? That might be a good start for un-loving the middle east.

Reroute the enola gay?

• Locked thread