Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

Pantherchat:
The Panther 8.8 costs exactly twice as much as 7,300 vs 5,750 for the Warcrime (M10) Panther (barring discounts), it has 1500 hp vs 1300, and it gets regular tier 8 matchmaking vs pref 7. 120mm vs 100mm front hull armor, 80 vs 85 front turret, which is pretty negligible in both cases considering the tiers they see. View range is 390 vs 350, though for some reason the Warcrime gets a much better radio, 710 range vs 550. Max gun depression in the 8.8 is -5 vs -8 for the Warcrime. The 8.8mm gun is certainly better in pen, alpha, and DPM, but I wonder if at tier 8 it would feel like the M10's 75mm does at tier 7.

The only reason I can see to get the 8.8 would be if you had gold to spare and absolutely had to maximize your cash earned per battle. Even then you'll have to fire gold a fair amount so it may not be that compelling.

E: price aside, the lack of pref matchmaking is what gets me.

Sogol posted:

Blitz-
The Blitz tanks have the same or basically the same basic stats on paper as the PC version. I suspect that due to map size, time limit, touch controls that they play very differently than the PC version.

I think Blitz tanks have more hitpoints, actually. Offhand I know the PC T-34 has 450 hp while the Blitz one has 650. They do play very differently, movement controls are very coarse and the auto aim system is more context based, not directly triggered by the player.

rockopete fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Dec 31, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Hellsau posted:

I love the game. I would very much enjoy a single player World of Tanks.

I hate the pubbies. They ruin everything.

PvE would be the best thing that happened to tanks. I just want to carebear with like four decent humans.

Keksen
Oct 9, 2012

xthetenth posted:

PvE would be the best thing that happened to tanks. I just want to carebear with like four decent humans.

Isn't Armored Warfare gonna be pretty much exactly that? Whenever it comes out.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

rockopete posted:

Pantherchat:
The Panther 8.8 costs exactly twice as much as the Warcrime (M10) Panther (barring discounts)

Warcrime costs 5,750
Panther88 costs 7,300

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
You know what would be good in tanks? PvE so I didn't have to depend on pubbies.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
Guess who's getting gold?

Boy this guy is very earnest indeed. Good catch Elmnt80.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

^^^ my favorite part is the (19:44) clarification. In case 7:44 PM was confusing.

rockopete posted:

Max gun depression in the 8.8 is -5 vs -8 for the Warcrime.

Max gun depression is 7°. It's 5° in a 40° frontal arc and 4° in a 70° arc backwards.

Those extra degrees you can get by pointing over the corner do come in handy. Just look at the E-50.

Prav fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Dec 31, 2014

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

Darkrenown posted:

Warcrime costs 5,750
Panther88 costs 7,300

My bad, the source I was using had it wrong. Thanks for the correction.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Wait, I thought the panther 88 used the same long 88 as the in tree panther 2 uses. So it is basically a less mobile panther 2 at the same tier with a really crappy radio? Or is it the short 88 that was terrible back at 6 when it is first introduced in the tree?

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009

JuffoWup posted:

Wait, I thought the panther 88 used the same long 88 as the in tree panther 2 uses. So it is basically a less mobile panther 2 at the same tier with a really crappy radio? Or is it the short 88 that was terrible back at 6 when it is first introduced in the tree?
It's a Panther I hull with the long 88. However, Wargaming messed with the stats so the Panther 88 shoots faster or something and has other soft stat boosts which make it more maneuverable.

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...

Zettace posted:

It's a Panther I hull with the long 88. However, Wargaming messed with the stats so the Panther 88 shoots faster or something and has other soft stat boosts which make it more maneuverable.

Which is hard to believe because the Panther II is pretty maneuverable and has a pretty good cannon as well.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Again, all the Double Hitler Panther needs is an RoF nerf to 7.5 stock and it'd be fine as a pref-MM T8, and worth every penny, too. The FCM50t should fire its gun more quickly because it's armored with tin foil and the size of three semi trucks lined side by side.

Also, the 88mm isn't very viable at T9+ because of shell normalization. That's certainly what fucks over the 88/L100 on the E-50. All the stats in the world can't help your APCR shell if it's trying to burrow its way through an angled 100mm+ angled plate, simply because 'unangled plate thickness > shell width' gives you a debuffing roll even before the game decides whether or not you get to do damage.

If they were going to put out a damned normal T8 MM tank they should have gone with a suitably debuffed premium E-50 with good terrain passage values to make up for the anemic engine they'd have to give it.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Dec 31, 2014

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Again, all the Double Hitler Panther needs is an RoF nerf to 7.5 stock and it'd be fine as a pref-MM T8, and worth every penny, too. The FCM50t should fire its gun more quickly because it's armored with tin foil and the size of three semi trucks lined side by side.

Also, the 88mm isn't very viable at T9+ because of shell normalization. That's certainly what fucks over the 88/L100 on the E-50. All the stats in the world can't help your APCR shell if it's trying to burrow its way through an angled 100mm+ angled plate, simply because 'unangled plate thickness > shell width' gives you a debuffing roll even before the game decides whether or not you get to do damage.

Maybe I'll need to buy it an try it, but why is the panther 2's long 88 (aka tiger 1's) terrible on a tier 8 medium doesn't sound like a bad idea. It would be no different than the panther 2, just a different hull. Why does it need pref-mm? It has the pen to play in the big boy game just how the panther 2 plays in the big boy games just fine. If you are in a tier 9 or 10 game, just stand back further and let the others do the job. We talk of the panther line being great snipers, so get to sniping as you are a low tier medium so no one will expect you up front.

The only tier 8+ tank I can think of that doesn't belong in tier 10 games anymore is the t32 as the 105 is horrible even against tier 9.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Prav posted:

^^^ my favorite part is the (19:44) clarification. In case 7:44 PM was confusing.

The best part is that he didn't mention the time zone. :v:

Also the T32 gun isn't even the worst tier 8 gun, and the T32 is an absurdly good chassis.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Let me just carry that for you, sir.

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

James Garfield posted:

Also the T32 gun isn't even the worst tier 8 gun, and the T32 is an absurdly good chassis.

Yeah that's silly, T32's fine in tier 10s.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

James Garfield posted:

The best part is that he didn't mention the time zone. :v:

I'm getting flashbacks of arranging FPS matches with people who say GMT when they mean "whatever timezone it is in England now".

JCFalkenberg
Jul 7, 2008

BIG HEADLINE posted:

If they were going to put out a damned normal T8 MM tank they should have gone with a suitably debuffed premium E-50 with good terrain passage values to make up for the anemic engine they'd have to give it.

poo poo, this is a thing? How exactly does it work?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

JCFalkenberg posted:

poo poo, this is a thing? How exactly does it work?

http://wotguru.com/general-world-of-tanks-guides/world-tanks-game-mechanics/how-armor-works/

http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Gunnery_%26_Armor_Penetration_%28WoT%29#Shell_Normalization (this link explains the concept of 'overmatching' as well)

I wouldn't suggest trying too hard to commit this stuff to memory - it doesn't really help all that much when you're just shooting at tanks.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Dec 31, 2014

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009
Yeah, but neither of those links talk about reverse overmatching, which is what you appeared to be talking about. I'm not sure that's a thing, shells that aren't 2x+ the armor just don't get a bonus to normalization, there's no penalty.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Ya the only thing that makes German tanks playable is going full fantasy 1944 blueprints, then add another 50% of armor all round for good measure and slap on battlecruiser guns.

DonkeyHotay
Jun 6, 2005

Steelion posted:

Yeah, but neither of those links talk about reverse overmatching, which is what you appeared to be talking about. I'm not sure that's a thing, shells that aren't 2x+ the armor just don't get a bonus to normalization, there's no penalty.

It was a real phenomenon that people ran into in ww2 but I've never seen anything concrete about it being modeled in game.

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

sauer kraut posted:

Ya the only thing that makes German tanks playable is going full fantasy 1944 blueprints, then add another 50% of armor all round for good measure and slap on battlecruiser guns.

Well, not to go full wehraboo, but that's only fair when some nations get tanks that were prototyped in the late 60s. As far as I'm concerned, the only thing WG has to do to keep german tanks fun for everyone is to keep them balanced. I don't mind if something like the E50M exists, because it's legit fun to play and actually well balanced, but stuff like the WTE100 shouldn't have ever been put in the game.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
Archie and I:

Agreeing with what was said earlier, it really can't carry. And it really sucks to run into someone as you zoom about in reverse, you'll take at least one hit while you rotate. Possibly the most annoying thing though? There's no button to lock your gun while driving, so if you don't want it swinging around retardedly you gotta hold RMB the whole time. Luckily there's a solution to this:

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Archer is hilarious because I've picked this exact time to grind out the hetzer. Let me tell you how much I appreciate the Archer...full HE pens from the 105 :getin: as they are driving backwards.

Captain Blaargh
Apr 27, 2007

Yeah yeah yeah. How about some Scotch whiskey? You got any of that around here, or just a bunch of nonsense words?

Coming at you from the Pansy thread:

Captain Blaargh posted:

Okay here we go for Thursday the 1st.

http://worldoftanks.com/uc/teams/113930-Flowers_for_Hellsau/

This is 5v5 Tier 8 shenanigans starting at 7:30PM EST. Password is the same as the goon channel because I'm lazy.

Bring your premium ammo and consumables, AND PUT THEM IN YOUR TANK. Then do one of these two things, dummies:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HixPjgsqiFo&t=24s

Giving Stand To another try since some folks are up for it. Also we will being signing up for the game Sunday once that pops should that work better for you.

Come waste your time for minimal chance at pathetic prizes and getting your troll on! I guess fun too...

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
This New Years x5 thing is great. Lots of poo poo players that make for easy pickings.

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

thylacine posted:

Iron Warriors: T-72 Tank Command is still 74 cents on steam.

It's more simulator but still pretty neat.

This man has the right idea. Also, Iron Warriors (theoretically) can do multiplayer (one person is gunner, other drives, IIRC).

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Darkrenown posted:

Agreeing with what was said earlier, it really can't carry. And it really sucks to run into someone as you zoom about in reverse, you'll take at least one hit while you rotate. Possibly the most annoying thing though? There's no button to lock your gun while driving, so if you don't want it swinging around retardedly you gotta hold RMB the whole time. Luckily there's a solution to this:
Yea, I've finished the grind with over 700 average damage and 40% win rate. It takes way too much time to set up, it's not even that fast when going backwards and the bloom seems massive. Though the last part may be caused by the fact that you need to swing the whole tank around whenever you find a target.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Sometimes x5 weekends turn out alright.

http://wotreplays.com/site/1479520#malinovka-axetrain-t-54

Aces are aces. Ammo bills mean nothing to me.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Wargaming is proud to announce Operation Buy Stuff for our Wives:

http://worldoftanks.com/en/news/pc-browser/31/gift-cards-for-gold/

Heh. Cracker Barrel.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
I'd be interested in that if the rates weren't a colossal ripoff compared to normal gold rates. $50 gift card for 7500 gold is atrociously bad. You're better off selling your gift cards on ebay and using the money to buy gold - if I pawned a $75 Banana Republic card, I'd expect to get at least $65 for it, put $50 of that and get almost twice as much gold as their lovely tradein rates, and still have $15 to pocket.

Magres fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Dec 31, 2014

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

And in bad decision news, I just bought a FV4202 as my first T10.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

Computer viking posted:

And in bad decision news, I just bought a FV4202 as my first T10.

:catstare:

You're gonna have a bad time.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Saint Celestine posted:

:catstare:

You're gonna have a bad time.

Ha, I'm kind of prepared for that. Seems like a fun tank in isolation - drives well, good gun. Shame it melts quickly and seems to be significantly less value to a team than an equally good E100 (or whatever) ... but so far I actually enjoy tooling around in it. :)

Descar
Apr 19, 2010

Computer viking posted:

Ha, I'm kind of prepared for that. Seems like a fun tank in isolation - drives well, good gun. Shame it melts quickly and seems to be significantly less value to a team than an equally good E100 (or whatever) ... but so far I actually enjoy tooling around in it. :)

didnt it just get an armor buff and reload buff? i think its pretty good now.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Darkrenown posted:

Archie and I:

The worst thing is that you can't quickly engage anything, so if your team gets its poo poo pushed in, you're hosed, and if the enemy collapses, you can't chase them fast enough to get any meaningful damage in.

I'm only halfway through this shitbox :(

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Is this peak Wehraboo?

http://forum.worldoftanks.com/index.php?/topic/411495-price-reduction-panther-mit-88cm-l71/page__st__40__pid__8349431#entry8349431

http://worldoftanks.com/community/accounts/1002169846-jontheblack/

Most played tanks: Type 59, T14, and of course, the Double Hitler.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Dec 31, 2014

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

Descar posted:

didnt it just get an armor buff and reload buff? i think its pretty good now.

I quite like it these days, and it's great when you get to HESH a waffle or similar. A 13 90 got super annoyed and called me a gold pussy noob or something like that here:
http://wotreplays.eu/site/1480490
(In retrospect I probably could have HESHed that STA-1 to poo poo too, but I was worried about his tracks and wussed out)

While I'm posting replays I may as well go all out.
http://wotreplays.eu/site/1480502
Object 430 Version II Siegfried Line. I gently caress up and almost get killed, but luckily bounce a Roomba shot and go on to win. Trigger warning: I fire HE at the Roomba.

http://wotreplays.eu/site/1480514
Redshire encounter. The T-54 of course just shits out amazing games - I liked this one because it was great fun, missed a shot at arty? gently caress it, ramming speed! Then the end with the JT and KV-5 was pretty fun too

http://wotreplays.eu/site/1480526
Fjords. Played like poo poo and just bumbled about in the Obj 140, still ended up with 6 kills. It's a good tank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Southern Dandy
Jun 15, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT MY RADLEY-WALTERS' MEDAL

Is that medal for being the most intolerable poster in a thread about Warhammer 40.000 novels? Because if it is, you sure blew the competition out of the water, son.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Wargaming is proud to announce Operation Buy Stuff for our Wives:

http://worldoftanks.com/en/news/pc-browser/31/gift-cards-for-gold/

Heh. Cracker Barrel.

As a frequent traveler about the South, and a Williams-Sonoma and J Crew shopper, those thing are pretty silly.

$50 worth of chicken and dumplings or 7500g? Chicken and dumplings every time. Side it up with collards and mac and cheese!