Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Joementum posted:

To be clear, I think Hillary wins in 2016, but if the minority vote turnout is close to what it was in any election except 2008 or 2012, she loses.

it'd have to drop off by a good bit; whites made up 81% of the electorate in 2000 and gore still won the popular vote. voter id laws alone won't cut it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
To be honest, I'm still kind of amazed that we have a President named "Barack Hussein Obama".

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Is there a functional difference these days? I mean, what policy are you going to see from the whackjobs that won't be identical to the Serious People?

At this point it's mainly a difference of tone and "respectability".

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

I mean, gently caress, I'd almost rather see a tea partier who's going to appoint a bunch of ideological nutjobs rather than a Serious Person who's going to resurrect the same network that produced Rumsfeld and Cheney.

Eh, who are we kidding. They both draw from the same support groups.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Joementum posted:

You don't have to. I never voted for Barack Obama and never would.

Your vote doesn't count though.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

if i ever get my own baking show and i'm sure it'll happen one day, it will be called baking with expletives

i'm never taking requests again. gently caress passion fruit, worst fruit out there.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Oh Joe, you were on the McCain pain train weren't you?

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

R. Mute posted:

if i ever get my own baking show and i'm sure it'll happen one day, it will be called baking with expletives

i'm never taking requests again. gently caress passion fruit, worst fruit out there.

I'd watch this.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

StandardVC10 posted:

I'll say it: I don't really want to vote for Hillary Clinton.

mind telling this to uspol tomorrow morning? I need something to do for the half day of work and trolling the democrat diehards is always fun

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

bernie 4 prez

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

R. Mute posted:

white people did this

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.
joe not voting democratic reminds me most of olbermann's 'as a journalist i shall not vote' thing

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

that's terrible. my show wouldn't play it for laughs. it'd just be me getting angrier and angrier at ingredients, violently smashing eggs, occasionally giving up mid-recipe, listening and singing along to eighties and nineties music while cooking, forgetting parts of the recipe only to realise it later on and try to improvise my way around it, etc. you know, baking.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Raskolnikov38 posted:

mind telling this to uspol tomorrow morning? I need something to do for the half day of work and trolling the democrat diehards is always fun

I swore off that thread sometime before the November elections after self-righteous education derail #2,366

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

fade5 posted:

Here's a nice TL;DR for you:

I'm not sold on Jeb Bush just yet, and he's got a lot of competition. In addition to Paul and Cruz, Rick Perry is going to try again, Rick Santorum is gonna try again (and probably bring up gay marriage when every other candidate would like him to please shut the hell up about it) Mitt Romney is gonna try again, Chris Christie is probably going to try, and here, have a nice fun image of what a clusterfuck it is:

The 2016 Republican primaries are gonna be a loving hoot, just like 2012.

And yes, that is Mitt Romney leading the pack. Yes, the dude who lost with 47% of the vote.:allears:

That pretty much nourishes all of my interest in that particular dealio. Thanks. :buddy:

Sharkie posted:

I would honestly consider voting for Santorum in a primary for this reason alone. For the republicans in 2016, gay marriage isn't just going to be a wedge issue, it's going to be a plastic explosive issue, violently splitting the candidates from each other, and from their base.

:eyepop:

Gonna have to use that one at some point.

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

flashback to last night but

Inuktitut syllabics is just the coolest writing system. :swoon:

Randler posted:

Edwards Snowden was a willing instrument in illegal attacks on the privacy of millions of people. He just has the bad luck of being the one guy where the interests of people who want to see those guys punished and the interest of large parts of the American political scene actually align when it comes to punishment. (Though the reasons why he should be punished probably diverge.) :shrug:

The fact that he caused the media to bring more publicity to the already known espionage programs of the United States is not a migitating factor for his crimes.

While there are probably people more deserving of harsh and possibly extrajudical punishment, he is the only one who might actually realistically get some.

Kill the messenger, then?

StandardVC10 posted:

I'll say it: I don't really want to vote for Hillary Clinton.

Just don't. You have my permission. I don't plan on voting for a Democrat unless they choose a really, really good one. Which they won't. So there.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

The Warszawa posted:

joe not voting democratic reminds me most of olbermann's 'as a journalist i shall not vote' thing

I can sort of buy that McCain/Palin is the presidency we deserved and would have been such a shitshow that the GOP wouldn't have a leg to stand on. B-Rock isn't going to do what you imagined he said he'd do, etc.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

syscall girl posted:

I can sort of buy that McCain/Palin is the presidency we deserved and would have been such a shitshow that the GOP wouldn't have a leg to stand on.

That simply isn't how the system works. How many times now has it seemed like one major party or the other has been totally discredited in the eyes of the American public?

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
greg proops loves hillary and it kind of bums me out

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

jimmy fallon is a terrible talk show host

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

quick name a good talk show host

and charlie rose doesn't count

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

conan o'brien because he's actually good at interviewing guests and i like the whole 'conan is a dick to his staff' thing

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Just don't. You have my permission. I don't plan on voting for a Democrat unless they choose a really, really good one. Which they won't. So there.

The outcome for California's presidential vote is very seldom in doubt. Nobody who runs for local office where I live is remotely sympathetic to my politics. But a Democratic supermajority is the fragile glue that keeps the state from totally disintegrating so I'll keep straight-ticket D there.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

R. Mute posted:

jimmy fallon is a terrible talk show host

remember that old snl sketch with chris farley as the nervous, underprepared talk show host?

at what point did lorne michaels/nbc think hey that's actually not a bad idea?

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Raskolnikov38 posted:

quick name a good talk show host

and charlie rose doesn't count

Bill Moyers

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Sharkie posted:

Bill Moyers

Tavis Smiley

Phil Ponce

Charlie Rose

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

excuse me you made a mistake and didnt post this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnIMCpevwTs

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Joementum posted:

To be honest, I'm still kind of amazed that we have a President named "Barack Hussein Obama".
No matter how much the Republicans whine and scream, as of January 2017 a Black Man named Barack Hussein Obama will have served a full 8 years as president, and there is nothing they can do about it.

Oh, and he killed Bin Laden.

I even get to watch Republicans try "the 90's redux" as a political platform in 2015/2016, complete with Monica Lewinsky, Vince Foster, and cattle futures. Oh this poo poo is gonna be so much fun.:getin:

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

:mad: what did I just say

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

so you have a guest on fallon's show and he or she is telling a story and it's obviously building up to a punchline and just before we get there jimmy fallon swoops in and steals the punchline, just straight up steals the punchline. gently caress jimmy fallon.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Raskolnikov38 posted:

:mad: what did I just say

So you just said....

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

pretty much yeah.

Serious People Republicans -> Republicans who won't cackle maniacally as they shovel poor/colored people into the coal furnace.

Also somebody with enough political credentials and vetting that we can be confident they won't freak out and bomb Andorra for impounding some American tourist's car, or appoint Joel Osteen as secretary of the Interior.

Joementum posted:

I'll admit that I was in the "man, no way enough people will vote for a black dude with a funny foreign name" camp until exit polling data started coming out.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

R. Mute posted:

so you have a guest on fallon's show and he or she is telling a story and it's obviously building up to a punchline and just before we get there jimmy fallon swoops in and steals the punchline, just straight up steals the punchline. gently caress jimmy fallon.

"Celebrities read mean tweets" is fun; mostly because Jimmy Fallon has very little to do with it.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Absurd Alhazred posted:

"Celebrities read mean tweets" is fun; mostly because Jimmy Fallon has very little to do with it.
i mean, fallon steals punchlines, but i don't think he'd steal segments from jimmy kimmel.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

jimmy kimmel is also okay

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

R. Mute posted:

i mean, fallon steals punchlines, but i don't think he'd steal segments from jimmy kimmel.

Woops! Got my Jimmies confused! :doh:

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

StandardVC10 posted:

The outcome for California's presidential vote is very seldom in doubt. Nobody who runs for local office where I live is remotely sympathetic to my politics. But a Democratic supermajority is the fragile glue that keeps the state from totally disintegrating so I'll keep straight-ticket D there.

well i've got some bad news for you (hopefully it'll be back after 2016!!)

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Inuktitut syllabics is just the coolest writing system. :swoon:
...it's Cree :shobon:

Also,

Joementum posted:

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Exclamation Marx posted:

greg proops loves hillary and it kind of bums me out

I listened to that guys podcast once.

Once.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Well, apparently one was adapted from the other, so my confusion was warranted. :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

well i've got some bad news for you (hopefully it'll be back after 2016!!)

Yeah I know. :smith: Hopefully we won't run out of money in the interim.

• Locked thread