Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Phone posted:

I don't have it installed, but I can only dream of "injecting skeletons into everything" and "occasionally talked about skeleton issues related to gaming". :allears:

i have it installed and let me tell you it's everything you're dreaming of and more

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Captain Invictus posted:

Hahahahaha you are just so bitter and adorable

It's a bad podcast now

I am overplaying my distaste but it probably doesn't help that Brad was my least favorite of the original crew before he discovered DOTA

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

Phone posted:

I don't have it installed, but I can only dream of "injecting skeletons into everything" and "occasionally talked about skeleton issues related to gaming". :allears:

Spinal from Killer Instinct is some serious skeleton objectification, how is anyone going to get bones that good? Down with skelebrushing!

The Deleter fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Dec 31, 2014

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Zombies' Downfall posted:

It's a bad podcast now

I am overplaying my distaste but it probably doesn't help that Brad was my least favorite of the original crew before he discovered DOTA

Well that's just, like, your opinion, man

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Captain Invictus posted:

Well that's just, like, your opinion, man

Between Brad talking non-stop about DOTA and Destiny (usually dragging Jeff into Destiny chat), Dan, and the lack of Vinny, it's an opinion that's shared. I'm kind of hate-listening to it now, which tells me I should drop it from my podcast manager for awhile.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Song For The Deaf posted:

Nintendo needs to have their ovacracy toppled. We call it "Operation: Humpty's Revenge".

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I HAVE TO USE MY SOUND SWORD NOW.
Birdo complicates things further.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

When was the last time Brad spoke at length on Dota on the podcast? I haven't caught up on the GOTY stuff, but my understanding is that he ranked it highly so I wouldn't be surprised if it came up. It's weird that people rag on him so much for it when he's blathered on about Destiny far more often while talking about how he wasn't really enjoying it. I'd much rather hear him attempt to explain Doto to the uncaring crew as opposed to the same with Destiny. At least he's passionate about Dota.

Captain Invictus posted:

He was the true Social Justice Warrior.

But was he the Ultimate Social Justice Warrior?

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Destiny is his new Dota.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Brad literally spends an hour arguing that Destiny should be on their top ten even though they named it one of the most disappointing games of the year. I feel like these GOTY podcasts devolve from actual discussion into a battle of who can be the most stubborn real quick.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Brad picks one game and basically threatens others from removing it from the top 10 list, and Jeff eggs him on because he hates most genres and Nintendo in a really negative way.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

So as someone who doesn't listen to Giant Bomb, is the appeal just ironi-watching a bunch of manchildren with terrible opinions?

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

icantfindaname posted:

So as someone who doesn't listen to Giant Bomb, is the appeal just ironi-watching a bunch of manchildren with terrible opinions?

Nope.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

icantfindaname posted:

No people just like to overreact to poo poo a lot. And I'm not even talking about the people on the podcast.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Listen to GFW Radio again, as it is pretty much timeless anyway.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Jeff is a funny man that just happens to the boss of a video game show. Brad is their designated Moba guy, the rest have a pretty good variance on their tastes of genres and are willing to open up if there's a specific game of that genre, I.E. Hearthstone for card games, etc.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
What's that, you want to listen to ignorant and insipid people cover video games?!

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler

icantfindaname posted:

No, they're funny and its a good way to keep informed about new games and stuff.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Why in the hell do the Idle Thumbs guys keep saying "reader" in reference to people who listen to the podcast? Is this an inside joke? I find it really annoying. Almost as annoying as "jiff," but I'm burnt out on that particular argument.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Funkmaster General posted:

Why in the hell do the Idle Thumbs guys keep saying "reader" in reference to people who listen to the podcast? Is this an inside joke? I find it really annoying. Almost as annoying as "jiff," but I'm burnt out on that particular argument.
That's a weird thing to get annoyed about but yeah, it's been a thing since basically always.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

TetsuoTW posted:

That's a weird thing to get annoyed about but yeah, it's been a thing since basically always.

Minor or petty thing to get annoyed about, sure. But not a weird thing. I mean, there's a word for people who listen to things already, and there's no reading involved in the process. It'd be easier to let it go if I knew there was a story behind it and it wasn't just ignorance.

Beard Yawn
Apr 11, 2011

You would make a good Dalek.

Minor or petty thing to get annoyed about, sure. But not a weird thing. I mean, there's a word for people who listen to things already, and there's no reading involved in the process. It'd be easier to let it go if I knew there was a story behind it and it wasn't just ignorance.

I'm pretty sure it's because Idle Thumbs used to be a website where people would read articles too.

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

Plus it's also kind of funny

RetroHelix
Oct 24, 2004

No home should be without one.

Idle Thumbs started in 2004 as a gaming web site with articles. The podcast started in 2008. I suppose "reader" is a holdover, made anachronistic by the podcast taking over.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Phone posted:

Wait, are we talking about Kole now?

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

No it's just ignorance, four (presumably) college-educated grown adults don't know the word "listener".

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
Here's a good point: no one cares.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

People still say things like "tune in" and "don't touch that dial" in reference to television when those are old old radio terms. Getting mad at that is the most pedantic thing.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

This may surprise you, but TVs used to have dials and still do have tuners.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

TetsuoTW posted:

No it's just ignorance, four (presumably) college-educated grown adults don't know the word "listener".

Willfull ignorance is still ignorance, and possibly worse. In any case I didn't mean to start some sort of thing over it, it was just bugging me as it seemed like the sort of thing there was a joke behind. Seems like there isn't, so, yeah, that bugs me. A lot of things about the thumbs cast bugs me, but the same could be said of all the other podcasts I listen to, really.

On a more positive note, I laughed pretty hard at the skate or die theme "remix." I'm considering isolating the "die die die die die" and making it my outgoing voicemail message. That message is heard mostly by my boss and father, though, so... maybe not.

E:

al-azad posted:

Getting mad at that is the most pedantic thing.

I'm not mad. Sorry my post riled you up, though?

Funkmaster General fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Dec 31, 2014

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

Willfull ignorance is still ignorance, and possibly worse.
It's irony. They're being ironic. And not in the "that's why I can say 'friend of the family'" sense, in the actual sense of the word. They know that listener is a word, and is the correct word. It's a joke. I don't remember when they started doing that, possibly right from the start, but IIRC it was basically just someone called "listener mail" "reader mail" by accident and everyone thought it was funny so it became a thing.

quote:

On a more positive note, I laughed pretty hard at the skate or die theme "remix."
To be entirely honest for a good long time into it I didn't even realize that wasn't what it normally was like. That remix ruled.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

TetsuoTW posted:

It's irony. They're being ironic. And not in the "that's why I can say 'friend of the family'" sense, in the actual sense of the word. They know that listener is a word, and is the correct word. It's a joke. I don't remember when they started doing that, possibly right from the start, but IIRC it was basically just someone called "listener mail" "reader mail" by accident and everyone thought it was funny so it became a thing.

I was hoping/assuming it was a joke, but I didn't have any context for it and everyone seemed to be implying there was nothing to it, or that it made perfect sense simply because they used to write text. So, yeah.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Wait, remix? The original does the die die die die die thing, did I miss something?

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

mango sentinel posted:

Wait, remix? The original does the die die die die die thing, did I miss something?

He stretched that segment out to a comical length.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

mango sentinel posted:

Yeah it does, but not for like 30 seconds straight.

I was hoping/assuming it was a joke, but I didn't have any context for it and everyone seemed to be implying there was nothing to it, or that it made perfect sense simply because they used to write text. So, yeah.
Fair call. I'm not sure how you could think it was anything but a joke, but not all jokes land with everyone so yeah.

sub supau fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Dec 31, 2014

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

Brad.gif

al-azad
May 28, 2009

pseudorandom name posted:

This may surprise you, but TVs used to have dials and still do have tuners.

It's still an archaic term that has no meaning in a digital world but it's still used. I'm not talking about anyone in particular, just saying that stressing out over someone's vernacular is really dumb. A few years ago people wouldn't shut up about "literally" being used figuratively when it was literally used in that context for decades.

VocalizePlayerDeath
Jan 29, 2009

TetsuoTW posted:

Fair call. I'm not sure how you could think it was anything but a joke, but not all jokes land with everyone so yeah.
A derogatory term for the deaf.

take three tablets
Nov 21, 2005

Hell Gem
I thought I remembered the reader joke coming about because they kept accidentally saying readers near the beginning of the podcast and just decided to go with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Zombies' Downfall posted:

Wasn't there a YCS-era goon with a Yoshi fetish? Did he get banned? I need to know which side of #gamergate he's on.

Yeah, I vaguely recall the name but don't know if I could spell it from memory, Djynn? Dyinn? Flyssa. Permabanned.

I'm gonna go with "the wrong side".

• Locked thread