Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Laranzu posted:

Dude I was in school with was formally in a regional navy band. Chill dude, burned out on the tuba or whatever and decided to go into computer networks. Good at gay chicken and dirty jokes.

I always wondered how they auditioned tuba players. "Okay, your 'bum-bum bum-bum bum-bum' wasn't quite up to par"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
What happened to the idiots thread. It was a classic and I miss it dearly.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
It got renamed in my honor.

Eyre Kneed
Jul 1, 2008

So I got orders to Korea and I'm leaving in a couple of months. Should I buy a phone here and get it unlocked or just pick up one of their huge tablet phones?

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Eyre Kneed posted:

So I got orders to Korea and I'm leaving in a couple of months. Should I buy a phone here and get it unlocked or just pick up one of their huge tablet phones?

They have LGU+. Prices are compatible to american phone companies, maybe just a little more expensive. The phones they have are decent enough for the year you're there considering your life standards for happiness will immediately drop as soon as you land. They are just standard droid phones.

So yeah just wait. I got one on my third day there.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Eyre Kneed posted:

kill yourself now and get it over with

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

kill yourself now and get it over with

From what I have heard, this is good advice.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
I got out in April. Is my w2 going to be on mypay? I dont remember my login info for that poo poo.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I believe mine was, I got out in March. You get mypay access for another 12 months I think. DL your LESes while you can.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Yes, it'll be my pay.

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007
How do you clean the M50 gas mask again? Just take the filters off and wash the rest with soap and mild detergent right?

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
We dipped ours in bleach and then cleaned them with soap and water.

Never really felt comfortable putting it on after that.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Cole posted:

We dipped ours in bleach and then cleaned them with soap and water.

Never really felt comfortable putting it on after that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqbn7oxXh38

terrez
Mar 20, 2012
So how are you supposed to address warrant officers? Sir or Chief? If its chief do you just stare awkwardly at W-1s?

Please excuse my pogy air force butt.

There was a marine WO in school and everyone in our class, even the army/AF lieutenants, just kinda shrugged when we asked ourselves this question and resolved to just hide from him.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN

terrez posted:

So how are you supposed to address warrant officers? Sir or Chief? If its chief do you just stare awkwardly at W-1s?

Please excuse my pogy air force butt.

There was a marine WO in school and everyone in our class, even the army/AF lieutenants, just kinda shrugged when we asked ourselves this question and resolved to just hide from him.

Sir.

Salute 'em too.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

One the O side I never met a WO1, but technically their title is Mister. Always called CWOs Chief and never heard a complaint about it.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Navy/Marines just treat them like officers through and through. Usually with more respect. They're not very common though.

According to the blue jacket manual bs an 0-1 officer outranks them no matter what because they're "commissioned" :jerkbag: but reading that poo poo in boot camp even then I could tell it was written by a bunch of self entitled officers who think they're royalty or the supreme upper class like it used to be and made me feel like the peasant I was

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

All the Warrants in the Coast Guard I just try and talk to them on a first name basis and they do the same with me as an O-2. However, when I was enlisted I always referred to them as Sir/Ma'am or Mr./Mrs.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!
I have literally seen one warrant officer ever and that was 12 years ago and from a distance.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
All the warrant officers I had any communication with didnt really give a poo poo what you called them as long as you weren't calling them to do any work.

Lazy Reservist
Nov 30, 2005

FUBIJAR

Cole posted:

All the warrant officers I had any communication with didnt really give a poo poo what you called them as long as you weren't calling them to do any work.

Gooble Gobble
May 2, 2011

One of us
I work around some CW2-CW4s and I just call them Sir if I'm talking to them and Chief if referring to them (e.g. "Don't forget to take out Chief Blah's trash").

TsarAleksi
Nov 24, 2004

What?

Christoff posted:

Navy/Marines just treat them like officers through and through. Usually with more respect. They're not very common though.

According to the blue jacket manual bs an 0-1 officer outranks them no matter what because they're "commissioned" :jerkbag: but reading that poo poo in boot camp even then I could tell it was written by a bunch of self entitled officers who think they're royalty or the supreme upper class like it used to be and made me feel like the peasant I was

For a more accurate equivalency, the ranks run parallel to normal O ranks, but generally are treated with more respect and as technical experts. Yes technically all CWOs are junior to all commissioned officers but I've never seen someone pull rank like you imply. A CWO can be a really vital asset for a command beacuse they are outside the normal structure and much more in a position to call someone (be it a JO, senior officer, or a chief) on stupid ideas and decisions.

Also, for the Army/AF folks -- don't call a Navy CWO "chief."

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Just saying that's what the book said man!

"They're kind of officers but don't forget they're enlisted so they're not 'real' ones"

Honestly just making fun of the tone the whole thing was written

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
The thing with chief is that you never pissed them off because he's almost always super buddy chummy with someone who is a lot higher ranking than you.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

TsarAleksi posted:

For a more accurate equivalency, the ranks run parallel to normal O ranks, but generally are treated with more respect and as technical experts. Yes technically all CWOs are junior to all commissioned officers but I've never seen someone pull rank like you imply. A CWO can be a really vital asset for a command beacuse they are outside the normal structure and much more in a position to call someone (be it a JO, senior officer, or a chief) on stupid ideas and decisions.

Also, for the Army/AF folks -- don't call a Navy CWO "chief."

I've never seen a WO1 or a CWO5. The warrants I have seen got treated about the same as O3-O4.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Stultus Maximus posted:

I've never seen a WO1 or a CWO5. The warrants I have seen got treated about the same as O3-O4.

I think I saw a WO1 on an army base once. He was super confused when I saluted him. He was super confused in general.

My Department Head two commands ago was a CWO5. Dude didn't wear an undershirt under his khakis and had the most awe inspiring protruding chest hair I've ever seen. Also he didn't give a fuuuuck.

Edit: Forgot what thread I was in. Generally called them Chief here.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
There was a WO1 in my unit for a little while, no idea why. We didn't have any warrant slots, so I think he was just filling a slot in one of the shops. Guy was a kind of a dick, though. The small handful of other warrants I've met were cool, I guess, but I never really knew them that well. The aviation BDE that I shared a FOB with had a WO5, though, and that dude looked crusty beyond all gently caress. Seriously looked older than anybody I'd ever seen in uniform, like some kind of crusty old unicorn.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

What rank do you have to be to not wear white undershirts. CWO5? 0-6?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Christoff posted:

What rank do you have to be to not wear white undershirts. CWO5? 0-6?

I think there's a rate issue, too. Like, a BMCS can lose the undershirt but an ISCS sure shouldn't.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

Varicelli posted:

Hey guys. Really, really obscure question here, wasn't sure where to put it being a first time poster to GIT and all, so hopefully it's OK. I'm Australian, and don't know anything about the military, so apologies in advance for my probably offensive lack of knowledge.

I'm trying to find out information about Marine/Army/X bands, for a lovely creative work I have been thinking about. There's a lot of information available about "the" army band, AKA the band that plays mainly ceremonially, but I'd like to know about regular army bands. Are there regimental/division/? bands? Do they go on tour or deployed? Do they have to go through general training and everything like regular soldiers? Are they formed from musicians who joined the army, or soldiers who can also play instruments?

I have a general sense of this information from wikipedia and the like, but it's pretty sparse and imprecise, and further more, what I'm really looking for is information about what nonceremonial bands are actually like and do, in particular those bands that are deployed to zones experiencing current conflict. What do they do on base? Do they get shot at or shoot at dudes? Do they sit around and play music, or do they only do that on occasion and most of the time have regular army jobs and stuff? Etcetera

Thanks in advance

In 2008 my infantry company got slotted underneath a division special troops battalion, so we got to compare our pretend badass selves with the pogest of pogs, at the division level at least.

We had a band in the battalion; they deployed. They stayed on Bagram airbase the entire time as far as I knew.

Here is some info to start you on your quest. The 10th mountain division wiki has a few lines on the band's involvement.

You will better and more interesting stories on the official mouthpiece, http://www.music.army.mil/news/blogs/

Looks like music.army.mil is a thing, and lets stupid little Army Strong blog stories sit on its page. This is for recruiting and PR so keep that in mind.

Apparently bands have a quota for DSLs on real-life 8s: http://armystrongstories.com/army-stories/Once-a-Student-Now-a-Soldier-at-the-US-Army-All-American-Bowl

This band company was commanded by a crusty as gently caress, 40-year careered CW5: http://www.army.mil/article/138781/First_Team_welcomes_new_band_commander/

Keep in mind a CW5 with 40 years TIS makes $9,315.10 a month http://www.militaryrates.com/military-pay-charts-w1_w5_2014

Pretty good loving pay for being a musician & paper pusher.

terrez
Mar 20, 2012
Has anyone had Amazon Prime while stationed overseas? I couldn't find too much information on it for APO addresses and how the shipping benefits would apply to me. Obviously I won't get 2 day shipping but if I could get free shipping on every order instead of paying $16 on top of a $23 order that'd be snazzy.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Just place orders over $25?....

Are you trying to place 5 orders on items worth like $3?

terrez
Mar 20, 2012
It's $35 now.

It'd be nice to be able to order stuff without having to wait until I have >$35 of stuff I need to get.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Yeah I'm almost positive it'll work that way with prime

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

If you have prime, you have free standard shipping, just like I do in Hawaii. Here's the help page explaining it: http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201118050

Amazon posted:

FREE Standard Shipping...APO/FPO addresses with U.S. ZIP codes.

terrez
Mar 20, 2012
Awesome, thanks.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
The segment of the journey from warehouse to your grubby overseas palms covered by Amazon Prime is relatively short. So, the 2 day shipping might get the box on the last plane/boat/whatever of the day departing from the APO facility on the East/West coast but most of the time it won't matter. Once UPS/USPS/whatever hands it off to the military APO facility, your shipping method is complete and the package is traveling with uncle sam now.

I used it in Afghanistan. Some deliveries were disturbingly quick, >1 week; others took the average 14-28 days. A lot of guys had the problem with packages from home disappearing completely but that only happened to me once, and never with Amazon.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

terrez posted:

Has anyone had Amazon Prime while stationed overseas? I couldn't find too much information on it for APO addresses and how the shipping benefits would apply to me. Obviously I won't get 2 day shipping but if I could get free shipping on every order instead of paying $16 on top of a $23 order that'd be snazzy.

Amazon prime works fine to APO addresses. I've used it to order many $5-$10 items with around a 10 day shipping time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
If it takes you longer than it should to get your package it's 99% certain that your unit is screwing up the mail.

• Locked thread