Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moola
Aug 16, 2006
I like the look of SW capital ships, but I've never seen any depiction of them fighting that isn't just 'both ships fly so close they could spit at each other, then shoot turbolasers till one of them dies'

if the actual game is more like GW's battlefleet gothic then I would be interested maybe

But also you can't say XWANG when talking about Armada so thats an automatic negative point there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
Also my Xwong core set arrived today, might do a creepy youtube unboxing video

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Make sure to clearly show your address, and also ostentatiously open the packaging with a ridiculous matt black oversized flick knife. And put the mic in your mouth. Then breathe through your mouth.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

If you're not wearing a fat Han outfit you're doing it wrong.

Question: is there some kind of FLGS finder for X-wing games?

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD
It's not the price that's that's keeping me away from Armada. Keeping up with Netrunner and X-Wing and Armada would still be cheaper than smoking. I just don't have the time to play a third lifestyle game.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Doctor Zero posted:

If you're not wearing a fat Han outfit you're doing it wrong.

This is what I wear: http://www.teefury.com/hunk-a-junk in royal blue

Sadly there isn't a game finder. It's too bad since magic has had one for a long time and Google probably has an easily implemented version.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

Doctor Zero posted:

Depends, if you're in the UK, the Facebook UK/Eire group has a player / club map of sorts.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

I like this and wish it was available for my American dollar purchase.

The last 2 store tournaments I went to, there's was a a fat guy who was flying some Fat Han variant....and we was dressed as Han Solo. Vest, fake blaster pistol, pants, all of it. He's arrogant as gently caress cause he usually wins. No one really likes the guys. When I was paired with him, I grabbed a Spider-Man hoodie (the kind that zips up to form the mask and everything) off the racks,, zipped it up to cover my face, and played like that. I have no idea why, but this made him REALLY angry. It must have made the dice love me though, cause I beat him somehow, and came in third place with a Decimator and 3 ties.

That is my "trolling IRL while playing with little plastic toys" story.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Devlan Mud posted:

I was totally hyped for Armada until I saw the price point, and then decided, eh, I'm already invested into X-Wing, I don't need a different game that does mostly the same thing.

I doubt I'm the only one.

Price might be a consideration, but for me dog fighting using fast space ships is more interesting than slow naval battles using Capital Ships. Though it seems I'm growing more and more interested in skirmish level games over full army scaled giant sized combat in general so there is that to consider I suppose...

Irom
May 16, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Do you suppose anyone here has the expertise required to make an xwing mod?

http://www.berserk-games.com/ts/

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Irom posted:

Do you suppose anyone here has the expertise required to make an xwing mod?

http://www.berserk-games.com/ts/
I guess that you could simulate the exciting possibility of knocking your minis, but really Vassal is just easier to play with everyone automated. What are the automations like in TS now? TS always seemed something better to mess around with than a serious way to actually play games :(

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
I can never get VASSAL to work, let alone get things automated.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

What are you having problems with? The entire thing is Java based, so usually if you are having problems it's due to that.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

Tekopo posted:

What are you having problems with? The entire thing is Java based, so usually if you are having problems it's due to that.

Maybe that's it, dunno. I also can't seem to find a good tutorial on how to actually set it up, so I'm sometimes floundering in the dark. The more I think of it, the more I feel like I have just given myself a project for tomorrow.

Irom
May 16, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Tekopo posted:

Vassal is an ugly UI nightmare.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

enigmahfc posted:

Maybe that's it, dunno. I also can't seem to find a good tutorial on how to actually set it up, so I'm sometimes floundering in the dark. The more I think of it, the more I feel like I have just given myself a project for tomorrow.
Yeah, just install the latest version of Java, install the latest version of Vassal and get the latest X-Wing module. Vassal is tempermental though, sometimes it just play doesn't want to work :shrug:

Irom posted:

Vassal is an ugly UI nightmare.
Sure, but I can't see moving templates in TS being much easier, as pretty as it looks.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Same here. It's most likely due to the fact that I'm lazy and dumb, but I've never been able to really figure out Vassal. I kinda need someone to just explain it to me.

Irom
May 16, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Tekopo posted:

Yeah, just install the latest version of Java, install the latest version of Vassal and get the latest X-Wing module. Vassal is tempermental though, sometimes it just play doesn't want to work :shrug:

Sure, but I can't see moving templates in TS being much easier, as pretty as it looks.

Well, ideally, you'd introduce some automation and some intuitive interfacing so figuring out how to play it at all doesn't have to become a weekend project for hopeless hopeless nerds. Such as ourselves.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

How much automation can you do on TS? Can you snap items to other items, or prevent stuff from interacting with other stuff? Cause that's all you would really need.

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart
Barnes and Noble's website (claims to) have Millennium Falcon expansions in stock.

I ordered one because you can always use more Falcons.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Are tie interceptors really hard to find or did I just decide to get into this game at a weird time?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Interceptors have historically been hard to find but it might just be a quirk of your local area. I think they're due for an upswing cuz of the upcoming scum upgrades so people might have already started buying them in preparation.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Store championships coming up pretty quick. What are people thinking of bringing? I havent legit thought of a tournament list in months.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

zVxTeflon posted:

Store championships coming up pretty quick. What are people thinking of bringing? I havent legit thought of a tournament list in months.

A shitload of TIE Interceptors, actually.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

Popete posted:

Are tie interceptors really hard to find or did I just decide to get into this game at a weird time?

FFG tends to underestimate demand for ships when they send an order to the Chinese factories, but on the other hand, they're really good about putting new orders in. Estimates for a new bunch of Interceptor packs to hit shelves is February, I believe. In general, expect a limited time where you can find a specific ships for decent prices.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Alpha SQ. Pilot is still my favorite Interceptor.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

I'm torn between a Fat Han Tala Mini-swarm I flew at Worlds, or the Jonus Brothers build that was infuriating to play against. 4 Dice regardless of engagement range, and 90% of the time getting 2 free rerolls :argh:

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Leo Showers posted:

Alpha SQ. Pilot is still my favorite Interceptor.

I can't fly ASPs because the idea of a squint without PTL is so foreign to me I can't trust myself not to cheat.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

I'd run either a funsy 4x Alpha's + Named Interceptor or 4x Royal Guards with Push the Limit. I have absolutely decided against the Decimator only because I like Interceptors more.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Fat Han for store champs. It's what I've been playing ever since C3PO came out and it's painted really nicely.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?

Leo Showers posted:

I'd run either a funsy 4x Alpha's + Named Interceptor or 4x Royal Guards with Push the Limit. I have absolutely decided against the Decimator only because I like Interceptors more.

Chiraneau with Expose is a glorious thing. Throw on a Rebel Captive for good measure and a mini-swarm, and there ya go.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

I'm not gonna play Fat Han, it's boring as heck. I don't need anything from the kit but the Soontir Fel card, so I'm just gonna fly something ~~quirky~~. Not sure what yet, thinking 3 ship Rebel pilots

Keyan Farlander (29)
Opportunist (4)
Fire-Control System (2)
Heavy Laser Cannon (7)

Wes Janson (29)
Veteran Instincts (1)

Gold Squadron Pilot (18)
Ion Cannon Turret (5)
Ion Torpedoes (5)

Total: 100

Fly the Y-Wing in to control ships I want to blow up with Keyan. It's not a great list but gently caress Fat Han.

Might decide on a Decimator list at the last moment since everyone is flying 2 ship builds with them.

susan
Jan 14, 2013
Thoughts:

Corran Horn + R2-D2 + Expose + Hull Upgrade (46)
Kyle Katarn + Ion Cannon Turret (26)
“Dutch” Vander + Ion Cannon Turret (28)

Eh? Eh?

KO Derf
Jan 14, 2003

Doctor Rope

susan posted:

Corran Horn + R2-D2 + Expose + Hull Upgrade (46)
Kyle Katarn + Ion Cannon Turret (26)
“Dutch” Vander + Ion Cannon Turret (28)
I'm not sure what you own, so this will be generic.

I can see you are trying to load Corran up with a big 5 dice Range 1 shot, but there are some issues. Not the least of which is, what happens if you lose him? He is target A1 for every opponent you are going to face, and then you are left with no other attackers.

Regardless let's check your build.
Droid: You have him with R2-D2 which is great, I like it a lot and I've had a that combo win games all on it's own. R5-P9 is excellent here as well.
Elite Talent: There's been a lot of work done showing 1 extra die is not worth it for the loss of the action you use to take Expose. With Experimental interface it's better, but that's 7 points and stress. You would be better served with PTL, Predator, or Lone Wolf.
Mod: Now on to Hull upgrade, this is just... not good in your build. You have R2-D2, you should be running Shield Upgrade to make better use of him. Or if you opt for PTL, you can put Engine on there.
Sensor: This is considered to be the best upgrade slot in the game, but you aren't running one. I prefer AdvSen for the hyper-mobility, but you can also use FCS if you want a more reliable second attack. I have also seen Jammer used to good effect.

To use Kyle one typically has to load him up at least a bit. The "Focus Factory" build is good, but it takes up 31+ points. Heck, even going slim and taking just Moldy Crow, or just RecSpec still makes him 29 points.
Also remember that Kyle with only an Ion Turret isn't going to scare a lot of people after they take out Corran.

Dutch as listed is fine.

Final opinion, I would retool Corran, and then take only one of the other 2 ships. Then toss in another heavy hitter so you can still put out damage if Corran dies early. (Or Biggs to protect Corran)

KO Derf fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Dec 31, 2014

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Gonna bring my Defender/Shuttle/Soontir squad because I'm pretty much married to that list and it's the one that I've had the most practice with.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
Can anyone give me any advice on how to best use this TIE Phantom? Like is there a consensus on either of its special upgrade cards being good buys, any other upgrades I should consider? The special pilots don't really seem worth the premium.

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

Genghis Cohen posted:

Can anyone give me any advice on how to best use this TIE Phantom? Like is there a consensus on either of its special upgrade cards being good buys, any other upgrades I should consider? The special pilots don't really seem worth the premium.

I enjoy the poo poo out of running Echo with Veteran Instincts and the Advanced Cloak. Further upgrades are optional, but at that point you've got a PS8 pilot that can pull funky decloaking tricks and arc dodge with the best of them, as well as getting some interesting lateral movement or near 180 turns. He dies immediately if you put him too close to a turret, but fun.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Whisper is amazing and you should always get him with VI and ACD. His ability can help make him quite survivable as well, while still packing a punch, because you can use your focus token on attack and then have one ready for defence.

EDIT: Also you take the pilots for the PS, not their abilities, which is why you always take Veteran Instincts. This is because you want to, ideally, use ACD to get your phantom back into cloaking as soon as possible: if you have a low PS pilot, he will get fired at while he is decloaked a whole lot more.

Tekopo fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Dec 31, 2014

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

Ville Valo posted:

Barnes and Noble's website (claims to) have Millennium Falcon expansions in stock.

I ordered one because you can always use more Falcons.

Thanks for the heads up! Mine just shipped, but I won't believe it until it's arrived.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
Ok, thanks Tekopo and Dulkor! That makes a lot of sense that high pilot skill helps get the best out of the cloaking/decloaking.

• Locked thread