Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Screaming Idiot posted:

The Voerman sisters are actually Alistair Grout's alter-ego. She/he/they are Melissa's true sire, they've been messaging her via email, and they also make a little money on the side as Deb on the radio.

And then the camera pans back and the entire thing is Cain looking into a snowglobe.

10/10, cut, print, we're done here, folks. Wrap-up party on Thursday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Curvy Goonette
Jul 3, 2007

"Anyone who enjoys MWO is a shitty player. You have to hate it in order to be pro like me."

I'm actually just very good at curb stomping randoms on a team. :ssh:
A

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

F-1 Everyone in this city is trying to play us, except for Beckett. Let's tear it down and leave it in flames.

Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

:3
F1, no contest. Statistically the best ending.

Edit: As for the ~mysteries~...

I think Deb is Kine. I don't really lean either way on this, but I'd like to think that some of the more interesting personalities in this game aren't vampires or connected to the world of darkness beyond inhabiting it.

Grout being alive is fun theory, if only due to the whole skeleton thing and Ming's reaction to the whole thing as she was leaving. I'm not sure if he's the friend in the emails, though... and speaking of which...

I've never really had a theory for who our friend is; my gut has always been Jack, but I'd agree that it just doesn't seem like his gig. Way too subtle for him... but who knows, maybe he has his moments of subtlety.

I barely give the Voerman sisters much thought past Santa Monica, unfortunately. Malkavians tend to embrace those who come predisposed to insanity, so her having a split-personality prior to the Embrace would make sense. Then again, they're about as likely to embrace someone who doesn't have an insane bone in their body, just to see how the mirror shatters as it were. Considering their childhood, though, this seems unlikely; gonna go with her being the one person.

As for the sire, this has never struck me as terribly important; and the romantic in me likes to think that, with a bit of outside help, the protagonist makes their own fate. A lot of WoD, and VTM to be more specific, has to do with inescapable schemes and not being in control of your own destiny. The player character having that sort of control after all that's happened, especially at the end after being told what to do constantly, appeals to me. Half of the reason why I'm voting for going independent, really, beyond that being the best overall ending narratively speaking. (disagree and you're wrong)

Erwin the German fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Dec 31, 2014

ForeverBWFC
Oct 19, 2011

Oh, the lads! You should've seen 'em running!
Ask 'em why and they reply the Bolton Boys are coming! All the lads and lasses, smiles upon their faces,

WALKING DOWN THE MANNY ROAD, TO SEE THE BURNDEN ACES!

Zanziabar posted:

D - Strauss He's the only option that makes any sense in the current situation. He's also the best bet for us gaining in power & stature in the long term following this debacle.

This.

Oberndorf
Oct 20, 2010

Is there an option to stick with the Camarilla and grab the top job yourself, or you you have to spend the next few decades licking somebody's boots before taking over yourself? If so, do that thing. If not, D - Strauss. LaCroix is a disgrace to his Sire and Clan. Stake him out for the sun.

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?
gently caress ABSOLUTELY EVERY SINGLE ONE OF YOU, WE'RE OPENING THAT GOD drat BOX.

Grimpond
Dec 24, 2013

F-1

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Voerman Sisters

I always had this theory that there were originally a pair of twins, and the father abuses them - and play them off each other either because he gets off on it, or to further gently caress with them so they won't tell anyone. Therese snaps and kills daddy and Jeanette (out of jealousy, or rage when she realized exactly what was happening to them) and was embraced later, with her grief and denial creating the Jeanette persona, but it's a persona based on her perception of Jeanette as being a rebellious tart - the "Real Jeanette" might've been nothing like the one we met. This persona allows Therese to 'act out' and she also take away the painful memories so Therese doesn't have to deal with it (notice how it's Jeanette that starts talking about dad and Therese keeps trying to shut her up).

Deb Oh I definitely think she knows about the masquerade, and it's likely Gomez does too. Probably either a Toreador DJ or a Ghoul. Having just the DJ dismiss the crazy vampire talk isn't enough to deter some people, so having the obviously looney guy mixing in the vampire stuff with little green men do it.

Friend It's not Jack, nor Nines, don't think it's Beckett either, and I doubt it's Gary - Gary would punch in movie references. Is there anyone in the game who seems interested in chess? none I could recall.

Melissa's sire: Unless our Sire is "Friend" above, they're dust. I see little reason for anyone to pull an elaborate fake trial for far as anyone knows ordinary joe blow that they just embraced. There's no indication that Melissa (or any other possible vampire) was anyone special prior to being embraced, it's only after she became LaCroix's gofer that anyone starts taking notice.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.

Erwin the German posted:

I've never really had a theory for who our friend is; my gut has always been Jack, but I'd agree that it just doesn't seem like his gig. Way too subtle for him... but who knows, maybe he has his moments of subtlety.

Is there a breakdown somewhere of what events each email is sent after/who each email is about? That might give us a better idea of who it isn't, at any rate. I agree that Jack is unlikely, though. Was trying to think of who the most skilled manipulators in the game are. Gary, maybe?

e: ^^^^^^^ Welp. ^^^^^^^

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Siding with Lacroix would be dumb as hell. He's paranoid, manipulative and keeps trying to screw us over for no reason. Siding with Ming Xiao would be even dumber, since we know that the Kuei-Jin are trying to take over and wipe out the vampires. If she even let us join up we'd always be considered disposable garbage. Andrei is another crazy person who hates us, and again, even if he let us join we'd never be safe or valued. The Anarch Free State is less dumb, but still. One Anarch going their own way and ignoring larger Kindred society I can see working, but you can't have a state without government, and the Anarchs are just going to get their arses kicked by the Kuei-Jin or the Camarilla.

Going off on our own is a possibility, but Lacroix and his supporters and the Anarchs who think we set up or killed Nines are going to be after us forever, so it's not a great option. If we did go that way we definitely shouldn't open the sarcophagus though, because if it is something powerful then we're certainly not in a position to exploit it, since we know practically nothing.

But the best option by far is D: Side with Strauss and the Camarilla. If you're not the biggest, most powerful one out there, figure out who is and get on their good side. Lacroix is a nut-case and the Camarilla will have to do something about him now that he's shown his incompetence with all the potential Masquerade breaches in the past few nights (the Sabbat attack, the serial killer, all the poo poo with the sarcophagus, the "terrorist" attack, this blood hunt with vampires openly walking the streets, etc.) and his general inability to acquire and hold onto a valuable and potentially dangerous artefact.

Get in good with the Camarilla and you can have your good standing restored, you can be cleared of setting up Nines, and if necessary you can be moved to a new location and put all this behind you. Keep your head down and you might get through this.

Robindaybird posted:

Voerman Sisters

I always had this theory that there were originally a pair of twins, and the father abuses them - and play them off each other either because he gets off on it, or to further gently caress with them so they won't tell anyone. Therese snaps and kills daddy and Jeanette (out of jealousy, or rage when she realized exactly what was happening to them) and was embraced later, with her grief and denial creating the Jeanette persona, but it's a persona based on her perception of Jeanette as being a rebellious tart - the "Real Jeanette" might've been nothing like the one we met. This persona allows Therese to 'act out' and she also take away the painful memories so Therese doesn't have to deal with it (notice how it's Jeanette that starts talking about dad and Therese keeps trying to shut her up).
Agreed.

Robindaybird posted:

Deb Oh I definitely think she knows about the masquerade, and it's likely Gomez does too. Probably either a Toreador DJ or a Ghoul. Having just the DJ dismiss the crazy vampire talk isn't enough to deter some people, so having the obviously looney guy mixing in the vampire stuff with little green men do it.
I'd say Deb is probably a ghoul, but I reckon Gomez is just some crazy guy who was told something he shouldn't have been, just like the guy who was writing the screenplay.

Robindaybird posted:

Friend It's not Jack, nor Nines, don't think it's Beckett either, and I doubt it's Gary - Gary would punch in movie references. Is there anyone in the game who seems interested in chess? none I could recall.
I definitely like the idea that it's Grout. There's probably no way to ever confirm it, but I love the theory that he faked his death and has been in hiding. The idea that he actually is Melissa is also great (and could still fit in with the emails, you may be sending them to yourself and not realise), but is a bit less plausible. I do like how it explains Melissa's ridiculous power level though.

Traxus IV
Sep 11, 2001

it's our time now
let's get this shit started

Tiggum posted:

...the best option by far is D: Side with Strauss and the Camarilla. If you're not the biggest, most powerful one out there, figure out who is and get on their good side. Lacroix is a nut-case and the Camarilla will have to do something about him now that he's shown his incompetence with all the potential Masquerade breaches in the past few nights (the Sabbat attack, the serial killer, all the poo poo with the sarcophagus, the "terrorist" attack, this blood hunt with vampires openly walking the streets, etc.) and his general inability to acquire and hold onto a valuable and potentially dangerous artefact.

Get in good with the Camarilla and you can have your good standing restored, you can be cleared of setting up Nines, and if necessary you can be moved to a new location and put all this behind you. Keep your head down and you might get through this.

Yes and yes and yes, D: Strauss for all those reasons and because if we back him in a power play and give him the sarcophagus he will owe us loving big time.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.

Tiggum posted:

The idea that he actually is Melissa is also great (and could still fit in with the emails, you may be sending them to yourself and not realise), but is a bit less plausible. I do like how it explains Melissa's ridiculous power level though.

This is now my headcanon for Malk playthroughs. :aaaaa:

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.
F-2. Power at any cost.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
D - The Camarilla made a power play in LA, but put the wrong foot forward. That said, it's not unrecoverable, and Melissa is in prime position to reap the benefits that LaCroix coveted. LaCroix tried to leverage you, Confront and Buy Out his rear end. (Ventrue politics are like tongo, right?)

Tyrone Biggums
Mar 5, 2013
Side with Strauss. He still owes us for the gargoyle.

Deb - I like to believe she's just a jaded radio host who's heard it all and she is completely 100% non-supernatural.
The Voermans - The twins aren't really twins at all. Therese was an only child who was molested by her father and Jeanette was an imaginary friend she invented to cope. Therese shot her father, got thrown in an asylum, and at some point got embraced by a Malkavian. And then for some stupid reason she commissions a painting of herself, Jeanette, and Daddy Voerman and hangs it in her office at the club.
Sire - Dusted.
Friend - I imagined it was just Mitnick loving with you the entire game. Seems like something he'd do \:v:/

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

F-1. This entire city can go to hell.

Pickled Tink
Apr 28, 2012

Have you heard about First Dog? It's a very good comic I just love.

Also, wear your bike helmets kids. I copped several blows to the head but my helmet left me totally unscathed.

Finally you should check out First Dog as it's a good comic I like it very much.
Fun Shoe
F-3 - The secret ending. You will know it when you see it, provided you did something earlier.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Fuck every-1.

Now that we've finally seen the werewolf fight, I have to say it's a bit of a wasted opportunity to give the Gangrel character something unique to do. Back when I played Vampire, I recall having read that Gangrel are...not exactly friends with werewolves, but the latter tend to go easy on them since they are both animalistic shapechangers. It wouldn't have to be much--just have the werewolf pause for a second and give the PC the chance to talk his or her way out of the situation--but as it stands Gangrel are really the only clan without any unique interactions. I mean the only high-profile Gangrel in the game is Beckett, and he doesn't really care what the PC's lineage is.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.
Fellow Neonates, we are Ventrue. It is our obligation to uphold the Masquerade, and the best chance goes with those that have the best resources. I speak of the Camarilla of course.

However....

The Prince has failed us all. He has proven to be a traitor and has brought shame to our Clan name. As such, I propose that we go to the one person of power in the Camarilla that we know, and while we may not fully trust, has given us no reason not to yet. Indeed, he has given us much in the ways of magic and information. Resources worth more than gold.

I say we go to D - Strauss

mauman fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Dec 31, 2014

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
F-1. This has bee a crock from the start. gently caress everyone, let them fight over the stupid box. Wash your hands of this entire mess at first opportunity.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

F-2 because if we are going to say "gently caress it", we really should gently caress it.

JackNapier
Jun 20, 2014
I'm gonna Vote A. Jack and Nine's the Anarchs are the only people I trust in this poo poo Hole, and honestly, anything that makes Jack happy makes me smirk

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!
To be fair, Andrei only tried to kill us when we were coming to kill him. He's the only vampire in the entire game that's actually been reasonable and straight with us

TheMcD posted:

Deb: Kindred or Kine?

Kine. Her schtick is making fun of assholes who call her, and sure enough the world provides. I don't really see a vampire doing that. There's no pride or dignity, very limited interaction with people, no power building.

quote:

Alistair Grout: Dead? Alive? In Limbo?

Dead. He's obsessive, and there's no way he would have left his wife behind if he was alive.

quote:

The "Friend": What's His Angle, And Who Is He?

Jack. He is the one who set up this whole thing after all. "Winning before you start" isn't about predicting every single action, but relying on vampire nature when a powerful temptation is put in front of them. Email isn't exactly his style, but being unpredictable is.

quote:

The Voerman Sisters Before The Embrace: Were There Two Or One?

One. She has textbook trauma-induced Dissociative Identity Disorder. They probably are actually distinct people now, given Malkavian hoodoo.

quote:

Melissa's Sire: Shadowy Puppetmaster That Escaped Or Indeed Executed?

Going with the outside bet that she was sired by a sucker :haw: and then promoted by Jack's friend.

JackNapier
Jun 20, 2014
I guess I'll throw my thoughts in on Alistair Grout: Dead? Alive? In Limbo?
Grout strikes me as the scariest loving vampire in LA, minus a certain conversation you can have as a PC Malk, He's not only scarily cognitive, the Malk Network told him poo poo about the other primogen and he thought to watch them all, he's scarily there for a Malkavian, and I honestly think he's still alive, and powerful enough that I honestly doubt the "Wife" we saw burn in the mansion was actually his wife's real body, and not just a mind trick

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.

DeusExMachinima posted:

D: Strauss

He's the only non-insane competent guy who is fair in our dealings and has yet to put a hit out on us. A Ventrue knows you take the surest bet instead of taking an outlier.

My thoughts exactly. I'll second that one: D: Strauss

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
Pop the box, let God/Caine sort it out. :unsmigghh:

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

I've always been confused by Beckett's appearance here. He's literally off character, which to me always suggested that it was the KoE trying to gently caress with you again for some odd reason.

Also, go Anarch or go home.

Ghetto Prince
Sep 11, 2010

got to be mellow, y'all
gently caress the Prince, gently caress Strauss, gently caress all these Camerilla fucks who just tried to loving eat me, gently caress the stupid loving ninjas, gently caress the Anarachs , double gently caress the Sabbat, gently caress everyone else that's been trying to use and/or eat me, gently caress this uncomfortable loving taxi seat.

F-1) gently caress EVERYTHING AND BY EVERYTHING I MEAN EVERYTHING.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Ride that open sarcophagus into the center of LA, waving your hat. F-2

DankRhymer
Apr 21, 2003
Grizzlier than your average pirate
Definitely gotta go with Strauss/D. F1 is really the best ending, but it just doesn't jive with Melissa the cold hearted bitch Ventrue.

Added Space posted:

Extra theory stuff.

I agree mostly completely. Grout is dust. Voerman sisters is one crazy rear end Malkavian. Sire is dead.

However, I still haven't decided on the chess emails. I've played this game so many times over the years and I still can't entirely pin it down. I think that I lean toward the Cabbie/"Cain". Even if the Cabbie isn't Cain but only a lowly methuselah, he could still augment the PC's powers or provide unseen guidance or what have you.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
If this was tabletop, I'd go with F and figure out 1/2 when I got there. Really though, it's literally Pandora's box. How can you not open Pandora's box? F-1

If this really was tabletop, I don't see how starting down 'F' eliminates most of the other options other than 'C'. Then again, like a lot of other people have reasoned, I also agree that 'F', 'A', and 'D' are the only real choices here.

TGG
Aug 8, 2003

"I Dare."
Going with D as I always liked Strauss and never ended up picking his ending!

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
When I played it, I went F-1 and that's the hardest I've laughed at an ending sequence in a game, so do that. It's pretty much an in-character thing, too. By this point in the game, any reasonable character is going to be fed up with pretty much any group, and having gone through the Sabbat like they were nothing (unless you do the :wesp: thing, but I played before that was ever included), you're probably thinking you're badass enough to do just the same to LaCroix and the Kuei-Jin. Live it out.

e: Also, you missed giving us your personal pro/cons on the Kuei-Jin.

ZeeToo fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Dec 31, 2014

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

citybeatnik posted:

I've always been confused by Beckett's appearance here. He's literally off character, which to me always suggested that it was the KoE trying to gently caress with you again for some odd reason.

Yeah, that conversation didn't seem to fit to me either. Especially once you see the possible endings. What could suddenly have changed to spook him like that? It's clearly not the feeling of doom all the vampires have been having, because that was there all along.

Caustic Soda
Nov 1, 2010
Well since everyone and their sire seems to view the Sarcophagus as bad news, I daresay opening it would be dumb. That leaves out siding with LaCroix or trying to take the Sarcophagus for ourselves. Going it alone just to skip town seems rather pointless, IMO. Yeah most of the vampires in this city are assholes, but it's not like that's a LA-specific thing. At least here, Melissa has some knowledge of what the different goons and would-be masterminds want. Siding with the KoE is just asking for it, even more so than siding with LaCroix, so let's not do that. Same for the Sabbat, really. In the end it comes down to the Camarilla or the Anarchs. Now the Anarchs have been on the losing end of things for a while now, but they might be able to regain some momentum with everything that's been going on. But they're also largely disorganized, and I don't much care for Skelter or Damsel, so nah. So let's go with

D, siding with Strauss. He may be patronizing, but he also seems relatively stable. And in a world like WoD, having a reliable patron doesn't seem like the worst of ideas. I mean even LaCroix provided some few advantages, and he was actively trying to get Melissa killed.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Strauss LaCroix is unfit to rule this city and, while being a fellow Ventrue, there will be a reckoning, and it's better to do it backed by the establishment, pretty sure the Camarilla will be grateful enough if Melissa sorts this mess for them.

Angry Lobster fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Dec 31, 2014

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.

Ghetto Prince posted:

gently caress the Prince, gently caress Strauss, gently caress all these Camerilla fucks who just tried to loving eat me, gently caress the stupid loving ninjas, gently caress the Anarachs , double gently caress the Sabbat, gently caress everyone else that's been trying to use and/or eat me, gently caress this uncomfortable loving taxi seat.

F-1) gently caress EVERYTHING AND BY EVERYTHING I MEAN EVERYTHING.

This person presents a convincing argument.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
F-2. gently caress everything, release Caine from the box, or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

A) You'd be dead at least a couple of times over without the Anarchs, the only group that are genuinely likeable and which haven't tried to backstab you or kill you - making them the most mature and trustworthy group of the lot. Hell, without Smiling Jack you wouldn't even have survived the tutorial.

Plus, they're freakin' anarchs so you're not committing yourself to something in the same way you would be if you joined the Camarilla. You still get to do what you want like you'd taken the independent route, but you have some chill dudes you can call for favours, work with and when the night is nearly over just kick back and slurp some blood with.

• Locked thread