Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Cythereal posted:

Hearing people refer to a Christian mire of reactionism and not be talking about Evangelicals is endlessly amusing. :munch:

Evangelicals are theologically progressive because they aren't liturgical m8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe

Cythereal posted:

Hearing people refer to a Christian mire of reactionism and not be talking about Evangelicals is endlessly amusing. :munch:

The liturgical churches in the United States have been handcuffed to the Evangelicals for as long as most of us have been alive. We notice what we're not used to.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Cythereal posted:

The evangelicals are about a billion times worse, but I am not an evangelical, and the evangelicals do not have a central authority to set tone.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Mr. Wiggles posted:

The evangelicals are about a billion times worse, but I am not an evangelical, and the evangelicals do not have a central authority to set tone.

I know, I was joking. I attend a very liberal Evangelical church that supports same-sex marriage among other things and is willing to perform ceremonies for such.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Eh, he was okay. Good on matters spiritual, not so much on matters temporal.

I'm sure the Poles disagree :v:

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

StashAugustine posted:

I'm sure the Poles disagree :v:

Didn't JPII knowingly let child molesting priests remain in ministry or something? I'm pretty sure I heard he had more involvement than we'd like to believe.

I don't know I'm not a fan of his closing off discussion of women's ordination or distancing himself from San Romero and radical priests being martyred in Latin America so I could just be going" yeah screw that guy."

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Possibly the only speedboat jumps I've planned

Mo Tzu posted:

Didn't JPII knowingly let child molesting priests remain in ministry or something? I'm pretty sure I heard he had more involvement than we'd like to believe.

I don't know I'm not a fan of his closing off discussion of women's ordination or distancing himself from San Romero and radical priests being martyred in Latin America so I could just be going" yeah screw that guy."

Yeah, and he excommunicated the founder of the congregation where I go to Mass. I have some reservations abut him too.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Religious goons make for the best thread (though it might be glushwein speaking). Meeery Christmas, everyone!

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Nerdpony in the SAL secret santa sent me Cretan bay leaves and hand painted icons of Ss. Nestor and Nicholas!

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Merry Christmas to y'all wrong calendar folks. :cheeky:

The conveniently empty <subject> lab at my faculty tomorrow is probably the best Christmas present I could get!

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Merry Christmas liturgical goons!

I'm watching the St Peter's mass on TV right now, poor Francis seems like he has the flu.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

I'm going to mass with my cousins and then midnight liturgy later. Double the Jesus double the fun

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I'm missing the Christmas Eve service at the church I grew up in for the first time in my entire life. :( Stuck working till 5 PM tonight, and then have a long drive up to see my folks, too late for the service.

Merry Christmas to all y'all.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Cythereal posted:

I'm missing the Christmas Eve service at the church I grew up in for the first time in my entire life. :( Stuck working till 5 PM tonight, and then have a long drive up to see my folks, too late for the service.

Merry Christmas to all y'all.

I managed to finagle getting out early tonight to catch the 7:30 Gottesdienst (no, it won't be in German lol), thankfully. I didn't realize there wasn't a Christmas Day service this year.

This'll actually be my first family-less Christmas! Probably pick up some Arby's afterward to show kinship with the Whovians of Whoville, just like baby Jesus intended.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Just got back from Mass and Christmas music is slowly lulling me to sleep. Just want to wish you lot a merry Christmas!

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I'm going to Orthodox Vespers right after work. Then if it's open afterwards, I've got a coupon for 20 KFC hot wings.

Sue me, I like their hot wings. Also, KFC is a Christmas tradition. In Japan, anyway.

(Disclaimer: I have never been to Japan.)

Tomorrow my parents and I are exchanging our gifts and going to a movie. We were going to see The Interview, but... Anyway, now it's that new Tim Burton movie, Big Eyes.

I might still go to a midnight mass somewhere, since Vespers is much earlier. One of the local Catholic churches is having a Missa Cantatis tomorrow, but I don't think I'll be able to make it, what with spending the day with my parents and all. Still, having never actually been to a real Latin mass, I wish I could.

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Possibly the only speedboat jumps I've planned

Merry Christmas Liturgigoons! Going to Midnight Mass tonight. The Introit gets me everytime. Dominus dixit ad me, filius meus es tu. Ego hodie genui te.

Ms. Happiness
Aug 26, 2009

Merry Christmas Y'all!

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Feliz navidad! About to head to mass. Have a great day!

Dominus Vobiscum
Sep 2, 2004

Our motives are multiple, our desires complex.
Fallen Rib
Merry Christmas to all!

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Merry Christmas! I escaped the scourge of having to sing Happy Birthday at Mass, and even had a toddler more or less calm more or less throughout - what better gifts could I ask for? :j:

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I was gonna go to Midnight Mass but I got stuck at work til 12:30pm. Ended up serving the morning Mass, though, since no one else showed up.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
Merry Christmas liturgigoons. My wife got a new puppy for Christmas so we blew off midnight Mass for the first time in years. Oh wells.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
Merry Christmas and Happy New year everyone, may they be full of light and love!

Let Mark Lanegan's sexy baritone caroling warm your chilly souls http://youtu.be/WhgfLvqp-xI

Spacewolf
May 19, 2014

MoraleHazard posted:

Merry Christmas liturgigoons. My wife got a new puppy for Christmas so we blew off midnight Mass for the first time in years. Oh wells.

Is the puppy cute at least? Can we have pictures of cute puppy?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
Oh yeah, your old dog died a while back. I hope you have a great time with your new friend!

gnomewife
Oct 24, 2010
On Facebook I saw a linked article from Relevant magazine talking about remembering "spiritual roots." It was a list of quotes from George Whitefield. I laughed and remembered you all.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

This Protestant likes Francis because he is calling Christians to help the oppressed; the spiritual curse to which he returns again and again is confining Christianity only to your own relationship with God, and neglecting your relationship to the oppressed and to your society. I love any spiritual leader who calls to feeding the poor and comforting the oppressed.

And I thought his negotiation a rapprochement between the U.S. and Cuba was awesome, in the sense that I am in awe that such a thing can be done.

I'm still not a Catholic, still don't want to be a Catholic. But I recognize the good works that many Catholics do in the world, and I am glad that this Pope is calling them to do more.

Needs More Ditka
Dec 3, 2005

We are ruthless and ask no quarter from you. When our turn comes we shall not disguise our terrorism.
I came across a Divine Mercy rosary that I really like because hearing Divine Mercy really opened me to the Catholic faith. However, the cross portion of it (I don't know what it's called) depicts God the Father holding a Crucifix with Jesus on it and a halo that I assume is supposed to depict the Holy Spirit.

The Protestant in me is screaming that depicting the Father is a Very Bad Thing (TM), and that leaves me with two questions. I mean, it can't be an idol because I don't worship it, but it is what I suppose a graven image would be, and back in Israel the Father was very insistent about them. Is it OK to depict the Father, and am I thinking too much and need to leave thinking out of this and just experience? Last time I tried to get into Catholicism I thought myself out of it and I've lived in regret, fear, and uncertainty since. I tend to paralyze myself in uncertainty as to what is right and wrong.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
Christ depicts the Father already, being his visible icon. Images of God the Father are supposedly against the Seventh Ecumenical Council, but they're also sanctioned by tradition, so use your own judgement I guess.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Dec 28, 2014

Needs More Ditka
Dec 3, 2005

We are ruthless and ask no quarter from you. When our turn comes we shall not disguise our terrorism.

HEY GAL posted:

Christ depicts the Father already, being his visible icon

Thank you. This makes a lot of sense.

I will say that deciding to convert from an ardent Protestant to Catholicism has been very challenging, difficult, and terrifying experience, while at the same time being one of the most educational, spiritually fulfilling, comforting, and faith affirming experience I've ever been a part of. I spent a decade searching for what the people close to Jesus and the people just after Him experienced, and the whole time it was right down the street from me. I couldn't be more joyful and relieved to finally be able to say the promise of Christ lives on, and I want to thank each one of you in the whole run this thread for helping me find Him, even if I haven't said or asked much in it.

Numerical Anxiety
Sep 2, 2011

Hello.

HEY GAL posted:

Christ depicts the Father already, being his visible icon. Images of God the Father are supposedly against the Seventh Ecumenical Council, but they're also sanctioned by tradition, so use your own judgement I guess.

It's one of the differences that crops up early between the Greek and Latin churches; the Latins were far less worried about images in general than the Greeks. Mostly because, according to Latin thinking, they're just pictures, they don't lay claim to the essence of what is depicted, and they don't make the saint present (that's what relics are for). They just serve to guide the worshiper's thinking in the direction of what it depicts, but the actuality of what is depicted is something else entirely. So in the Latin tradition at least, the residual worry about idolatry as worshiping the divine in or as the image is far less, precisely because icons aren't venerated in the same way. When the iconoclast crisis swept the east, the Latins just mostly shrugged their shoulders and ignored it, they didn't share the presuppositions that lead to the problem.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

Spacewolf posted:

Is the puppy cute at least? Can we have pictures of cute puppy?

Here is Rupert, or the RupeStar 3000 as I call him. That was not posed; Rupert is a bit of a Laprador Retriever.

Needs More Ditka posted:

Thank you. This makes a lot of sense.

I will say that deciding to convert from an ardent Protestant to Catholicism has been very challenging, difficult, and terrifying experience, while at the same time being one of the most educational, spiritually fulfilling, comforting, and faith affirming experience I've ever been a part of. I spent a decade searching for what the people close to Jesus and the people just after Him experienced, and the whole time it was right down the street from me. I couldn't be more joyful and relieved to finally be able to say the promise of Christ lives on, and I want to thank each one of you in the whole run this thread for helping me find Him, even if I haven't said or asked much in it.

That's really awesome to here; thanks for sharing.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

So, need a bit of help. I'm trying to get a hold of a copy of the 1906 version of the English Hymnal. A reproduction is fine. But I don't seem to be able to find one that isn't actually a 1933 version or later.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Mr. Wiggles posted:

So, need a bit of help. I'm trying to get a hold of a copy of the 1906 version of the English Hymnal. A reproduction is fine. But I don't seem to be able to find one that isn't actually a 1933 version or later.

Is this one of those things you might be able to find on Project Gutenberg or other sites like that? Otherwise you could start popping into church offices at random ;)

Spacewolf
May 19, 2014

MoraleHazard posted:

Here is Rupert, or the RupeStar 3000 as I call him. That was not posed; Rupert is a bit of a Laprador Retriever.

D'aww. HI PUPPY!

Okay, adorable furry derail over.:)

De Nomolos
Jan 17, 2007

TV rots your brain like it's crack cocaine
Trying to finally involve myself in this thread. I am Episcopal/Anglican and frustrated with the general lack of exploration among my small cohort in my church and diocese. I guess it is in part an effect of most my age having families and wanting more of that programming.

I am on (ok, I'm basically the only real active member) of our YA programming board and I'm having a hard time ever coming up with events that I feel invite reflection while appeasing those who want more stuff involving or oriented towards young kids as much as adults. Anyone else dealt with this? Our rector doesn't care as long as people are interested and families don't push back and demand more Family Movie Nights or something .

Ms. Happiness
Aug 26, 2009

De Nomolos posted:

Trying to finally involve myself in this thread. I am Episcopal/Anglican and frustrated with the general lack of exploration among my small cohort in my church and diocese. I guess it is in part an effect of most my age having families and wanting more of that programming.

I am on (ok, I'm basically the only real active member) of our YA programming board and I'm having a hard time ever coming up with events that I feel invite reflection while appeasing those who want more stuff involving or oriented towards young kids as much as adults. Anyone else dealt with this? Our rector doesn't care as long as people are interested and families don't push back and demand more Family Movie Nights or something .

What age range are you looking at? My church has had lockins for the high school kiddoes. College age kids went on a mission trip to Navajoland last summer. Youth dinners hosted at various parishioners' houses always seems to have a big turn out.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
A lot depends on what you are trying to do. Do you want to evangelize? Help students who already attend church learn more about religion, or increase their engagement? Just provide a positive environment where people of any faith can feel welcome?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantlessBadger
May 7, 2008

De Nomolos posted:

Another factor might be what type of Anglicanism is typified by your parish. An evangelical Low Churchmanship might demand or expect different programming than a more latitudinarian Churchmanship.

• Locked thread