Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zuph
Jul 24, 2003
Zupht0r 6000 Turbo Type-R

Eight Is Legend posted:

Do you guys use the scheduled transactions option at all? I know I'll be transferring some money from my checking account to my credit card at the beginning of January, but can't I just input the transfer in the main transactions/transfer field instead and put in the date I know they'll be transferred?

I use scheduled transactions for bills and income that occur at the same time every month, and aren't variable. In my case, this is my paycheck, my Roth IRA transfer, and Netlfix. Bills like water, electricity, and credit card aren't automatic, because they're variable, and bills like trash and insurance aren't automatic because they don't happen every month.

This is just what works out best for me. Doing this keeps me honest, and spending from my budget as I should be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Eight Is Legend posted:

Do you guys use the scheduled transactions option at all? I know I'll be transferring some money from my checking account to my credit card at the beginning of January, but can't I just input the transfer in the main transactions/transfer field instead and put in the date I know they'll be transferred?
I put stuff under scheduled when I know something is going to occur, but haven't done what is needed for it to occur (e.g. I know I'll be paying a bill on date x, but don't know the exact amount). It gets moved to the transactions list when I initiate the transfer, and cleared when I see it has gone through.

Old Fart
Jul 25, 2013
I use it for credit card payments. Even though it's different every month, I don't get a paper statement, so I have it pop up the day the statement is online to remind myself to pay it. Of course, it's listed as a transfer, but this way I don't accidentally pay interest.

I also use it for other regular bills.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Oh, wow at this new app.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Sub Rosa posted:

Oh, wow at this new app.

Are you talking about the mobile version, or was there an update to the desktop version? I really like the new mobile one, it's very clean and easier to use.

Per
Feb 22, 2006
Hair Elf
Is there any way to change the currency formats? I use Danish kroner and the only format available is "kr9.876.543,21". I have no idea where they got this from, the correct way is more like "9.876.543,21 kr.", so kr is at the end and after a space and there should arguably be a period after because its an abbreviation.

So, is there a file I can edit or something?

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I'd send a support email about it.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
I would like to show what YNAB has done for me since I started using it this summer:

As of July 2014, I had the following:

Debts
USAA Credit Card: $890.17
Walmart credit card: $615.06
Car Loan: $18,779.49
Debt to my girlfriend: $121

Checking and Savings accounts
Checking: $67.92
Savings: $115.60

Income
$45,000/year

------------------------

As of December 30, I have the following:

Debts
USAA Credit Card: $0
Walmart Credit Card: $0 (and cut up into pieces)
Car loan: $17,574.17
Debt to girlfriend: $0
Debt to girlfriend's parents: $2,458.21 (down from $4800 two months ago, they floated us the moving costs to move from Atlanta to Seattle)

Accounts
Checking: $1,076.45 in my buffer/savings

Income
$79,000/year

----------------------

It doesn't look like much, but I've eliminated $5,173.34 in debt and have saved up over $1000. My buffer was at $1450 but I had a rainy day emergency and had to take cash out of it, but with YNAB it wasn't a problem. This is just within six months and included a cross-country move to a higher paying job. I can't wait to see what YNAB will help me to accomplish next year.

Neif
Jul 26, 2012

So I bought this software as part of a steam sale last year, it wasn't so much that I was struggling with budgets it's just that I felt that there was a lot of 'waste' in where our money was going, convincing my better half how much actual waste there was never going to be easy though a few months into me 'tracking' our money helped a lot in pointing out that the tri-weekly trips to the shopping centres wasn't really necessary except to placate the consumerist in her with poo poo we don't actually need (or use).

I'm pretty sure she felt each month when I enter in all the data it was like Orwell's 1984 big brother came to visit our household :retrogames:

A year on and I can't say we waste any less money, rather we know where we are wasting it. My definition of waste is pretty much anything that isn't a basic requirement for surviving ( I could probably live in a mudhut on a diet of grass and rawmeat as long as I had a wifi connection) she's the opposite so it's a nice balance. What is nice though is being able to see 'where your at' in terms of net wealth/debt etc and also being able to have some confidence in big purchases if you've planned for it.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

HonorableTB posted:

Are you talking about the mobile version, or was there an update to the desktop version? I really like the new mobile one, it's very clean and easier to use.

Just got the Android update and love it.

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree
YNAB is 75% off on Steam. Does this key let me use the Android and other versions?

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
The Android companion app is free; the key you can dig out from the Steam version lets you activate other installations (e.g. downloaded from ynab.com).

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree

spincube posted:

The Android companion app is free; the key you can dig out from the Steam version lets you activate other installations (e.g. downloaded from ynab.com).

Awesome, thanks. Any catches I should keep in mind, like say 5 total device activations or something like that?

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

Lanky Coconut Tree posted:

Awesome, thanks. Any catches I should keep in mind, like say 5 total device activations or something like that?

No, none at all. The trial demo uses some kind of magic to track your #-day time limit, but that's it.

Angstrom
Nov 4, 2011

Hey guys, new potential user here. I just briefly tried the demo version of YNAB and had a couple of questions. How does YNAB handle investment accounts? I have an IRA, 401k, a brokerage account for my employee stock purchase plan, and a couple other brokerage accounts with misc stocks. Would I manually enter the transactions for each of these accounts? What about tracking the unrealized gains/losses in the accounts, would I just update them at the end of the month myself? Also, how do you track dividends? Would these need to be entered manually as income? My first impression is that it seems like it would be a lot of work to manually enter everything, but I don't have much experience with the program. Previously I have been using Mint but just to keep track of the values of my accounts and not for any budgeting. Also let me know if any other tools would be useful since I haven't really been using anything else for my finances.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Up to you how detailed you want to be.
You can just create an off-budget "investments" account, and reconcile the balances each month along with to/from that account if you'd like. Or you can go whole hog and track each transaction. Investment accounts are going to be off budget unless you are spending from them, however.

Dividends you would want to enter if they get sent to your main accounts, if they stay within the investments group and get reinvested I wouldn't bother. They aren't income in that sense, just an increase in your portfolio. Much like my student loan, but negative. I don't need to track how much interest I pay, I just send $X to it each month, and reconcile the balance to account for the interest as needed.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Dec 31, 2014

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

Net contents 12 fluid oz.
Just got this and I suggest taking their tutorial advice and "start with today", consider this the first day of your new budget and don't tear your hair out trying to import anything from the past.

I'll see where I'm at in a year from now after using it.

edit: Umm, am I potentially streaming my budget/bills/etc for the world to see if I have broadcasting set to anyone can watch while using this program?

I was idling it for like 2 hours today doing other things :o:

mr. nobody fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Jan 1, 2015

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.
Is it wrong that I've opened YNAB about 4 times today just to stare at it and wish I had some transactions to enter?

I've never had a problem with budgeting in the past but I've always used very broad categories because I just didn't care about micromanaging. However, I just bought a house so I want to be able to see exactly where my money is going and how much everything costs. Lots more than my apartment did, I'll guess.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

fiery_valkyrie posted:

Is it wrong that I've opened YNAB about 4 times today just to stare at it and wish I had some transactions to enter?

I've never had a problem with budgeting in the past but I've always used very broad categories because I just didn't care about micromanaging. However, I just bought a house so I want to be able to see exactly where my money is going and how much everything costs. Lots more than my apartment did, I'll guess.

Sometimes I leave YNAB open all day, occasionally glancing at it, as if doing so will give me some financial eureka.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

jon joe posted:

Sometimes I leave YNAB open all day, occasionally glancing at it, as if doing so will give me some financial eureka.
poo poo I never close the damned thing.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Yeah so um

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Neif
Jul 26, 2012

I'm looking forward to the 'Game of the Year Edition' complete with all DLC's.

Mr_D
Jan 28, 2001

I have no sense of humor. I like to crap on everyone's good time by being a jerk. Take a ride on my turd rainbow!
When will YNAB get trading cards? I want the badge.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
Am I the only one that doesn't keep separate accounts and just lumps checking and credit cards all together? In order to get real balances I just use mint. I don't bother with off balance accounts either. Again I just use mint.

Only issue is cash purchases can slip through but those are rare for me anyway.

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

I've got a weird problem. In December I've recorded an overspend of £300 in the holiday category of my budget, which I wanted to carry over into January as I'm going to be refunded that amount (which will then zero that category out). In December the category is currently red at -300, but in January is green at 0. I only wanted this to happen when I'm refunded that 300. I'm on the iPad version at the moment since I'm away from my PC over the holidays; I think it happened when I accidentally selected to cover overspending in the holiday category, but I can't figure out how to undo it. Any ideas?

Lady Gaza fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Jan 2, 2015

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You need to switch the category to carryover instead of the default (which takes it off the top of the available balance the next month). Don't know the iPad version, in Windows you click on the red part of the category and it pops up a box with the 2 options.

Chin Strap posted:

Am I the only one that doesn't keep separate accounts and just lumps checking and credit cards all together? In order to get real balances I just use mint. I don't bother with off balance accounts either. Again I just use mint.

So What *DO* you use YNAB for?

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Jan 3, 2015

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
I currently use a credit card to buy pretty much everything, I use it to pay all my bills, etc. I pay it in full every month and have zero ongoing debt for it. How would you guys recommend I record this kind of spending in YNAB?

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jan 2, 2015

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.

GreatGreen posted:

I currently use a credit card to buy pretty much everything, I use it to pay all my bills, etc. I pay it in full every month and have zero ongoing debt for it. How would you guys recommend I record this kind of spending in YNAB?

http://www.youneedabudget.com/support/video/handling-credit-cards-in-ynab

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

GreatGreen posted:

The same as you would record spending against a checking account, there really isn't anything special about this. It's just an account that's going to have a negative balance most times.

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

ilkhan posted:

You need to switch the category to carryover instead of the default (which takes it off the top of the available balance the next month). Don't know the iPad version, in Windows you click on the red part of the category and it pops up a box with the 2 options.

Can't seem to do that on the iPad, will just have to wait til I get home. Thanks though.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Awesome, that did it. Thanks!

SimpleCoax
Aug 7, 2003

TV is the thing this year.
Hair Elf

Chin Strap posted:

Yes you are the only one. It sounds like you just use Mint.

Koskinator
Nov 4, 2009

MOURNFUL: ALAS,
POOR YORICK
Just started with the trial of YNAB, it's pretty nifty and I'm figuring out how to account for all the quirks of my personal budgeting.

My checking account has a monthly fee that is waived if the end of month balance is above $2500. I want to keep that amount as a baseline minimum (ie, it's not to be used in my day to day spending or budgeting) to avoid the fee, but how do I represent that in YNAB? Should I just call that my rainy day fund? (I don't know how to handle that either).

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Make a "minimum balance" category, stick 2500 in it, and hide that category.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
So I've been thinking of ways to note how to contribute to a Roth IRA in YNAB. The biggest hangup about a Roth IRA is that there is a maximum value one can contribute to it per year. Here's what I've come up with to deal with this:

First, create these Off Budget Accounts:
Roth IRA - Current Year
Roth IRA - Earnings

Basically, as the year goes by, when you contribute to your IRA, you transfer money from your checking account or wherever to your "Roth IRA - Current Year" account. This easily lets you see how much money you've placed in your IRA for the current year. Then, once a quarter, you'd post your earnings or losses to the "Roth IRA - Earnings" account so you Net Worth would stay up to date. Finally, at the end of the year, you'd transfer all inputs from "Roth IRA - Current Year" to "Roth IRA - Earnings" and start over for the next year.

What do you guys think? Is there a more efficient strategy or do you think this looks like a good way to handle an IRA account?

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Jan 4, 2015

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Why not just use the description field to keep track of how much you've put in?

Old Fart
Jul 25, 2013
That, or just look at the transfers from your on-budget accounts. You can filter by current year. Any earnings will be listed as interest or whatever, not transferred from an on-budget account.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
Cool, I'll probably do it that way then.

I have another question though. Maybe I'm not understanding the software as much as I should... but let's say I have enough money to budget for three months in advance. I get a check today, in January, and want to mark it as income for March. How can I do this? The only options I see let me mark it for either this or next month.

Should I just always mark everything for income "this month" then just increase the budget for "Savings" by the same amount to zero out the budget for the current month?

Fezziwig
Jun 7, 2011

GreatGreen posted:

Cool, I'll probably do it that way then.

I have another question though. Maybe I'm not understanding the software as much as I should... but let's say I have enough money to budget for three months in advance. I get a check today, in January, and want to mark it as income for March. How can I do this? The only options I see let me mark it for either this or next month.

Should I just always mark everything for income "this month" then just increase the budget for "Savings" by the same amount to zero out the budget for the current month?

Have a line item for "emergency fund" that contains all your savings not assigned for something else and log all income for next month. This way, this month's income is always next month's spending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

GreatGreen posted:

Perhaps the Variable Income article will help. It has a couple of strategies for doing this.