Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

LastInLine posted:

For the price it's pretty hard to beat although I don't know if they're available to folks in the UK.
They show up sometimes in random places but not as often as in the US.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

ChrisAsmadi posted:

So I'm finally looking to replace my Nexus 7 (2012) due to Christmas money, wear and tear and the fact that within the last month it's started running like total poo poo if it's left on for more than a day, and for some reason every tablet in my price range has added software I don't want (the Fire tablets/Tesco Hudls), is from some company I've never heard of or has an Intel Atom CPU.

I'm just wondering, am I likely to run into any issues using Android on an x86 CPU compared to my N7?

The Hudl2 is drat near stock android. Use another launcher, disable tesco apps. Done!
Mine runs like a champ.

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005
So I went and bought the new Galaxy Tab S 10.4.

Is there ANY way at all to get rid of the goddamn Samsung theme/colors/apps?

It's ugly, doesn't work well, is filled with poo poo and just in general makes me want to return this thing so badly.

Wicaeed fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Dec 27, 2014

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Depends powerfully on where (and how willing you are to become one of the Rooted Android grogs), but the short answer is "nope should have bought a Nexus 9 or something".

EDIT: Before you ask, Amazon and Nook are so much less Googledroid than even Samsung it's basically not the same ecosystem - and as much as I am judicious about when and how I rely on Google's services, being less like Google's ideal Android is something I mean as distinctly a bad thing. If AOSP is Debian, Nexus is Ubuntu and Samsung is Mint (I went there) then Amazon and Nook are like Plan 9 and fuckin' Splashtop.

I don't know if you're willing to do a Windows tablet (pick one with actual Windows and not RT for the love of god) or an iPad, or if Motorola or Sony do significant tablets, or anyone else does a close-to-AOSP that's worth a drat.

EDIT 2: Asus might be okay for Android pads.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Dec 27, 2014

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Wicaeed posted:

So I went and bought the new Galaxy Tab S 10.4.

Is there ANY way at all to get rid of the goddamn Samsung theme/colors/apps?

It's ugly, doesn't work well, is filled with poo poo and just in general makes me want to return this thing so badly.

Tough times. You can go a good way to avoiding Samsung stuff with careful configuration & a new launcher but you can't change the notification bar, setting menus, lockscreen etc. without rooting and ROMing, which may have other downsides. And I'm not sure its even possible.

Step 1: Grab another launcher from the play store. I like Action Launcher 3, there are others. Not sure if the stock google now launcher is in there for tablets.

Step 2: Go through the settings step by step and disable all the Samsung gimmick features that slow things down and confuse.

Step 3: Go into the apps menu in options, as though you were going to uninstall somwthing. You should be able to disable any of the bundled apps in there.

Check the rooted thread if that's not enough.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

You can get the Google launcher just fine, and tons of people swear by Nova (I on the other hand gave up paid Nova for free Apex) so that'll take the glaring TouchWizness out.

Except it'll still be all over the back end causing the perennial drag-rear end you've already noticed, occasional problems (and rarely PROBLEMS but still often enough that the dread feelings are well founded), and Samsung's got a history of not letting you disable even most of the Samsung crap. I mean technically you can disable anything with root, but you'd have to be confident you can root the thing first, and Samsung's going whole hog on Knox makes them pretty drat hostile to root or even to factory images.

You said you can still return it?

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Dec 27, 2014

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007
:D

Kerbtree posted:

The Hudl2 is drat near stock android. Use another launcher, disable tesco apps. Done!
Mine runs like a champ.

Does that get rid of the stupid Tesco button on the Home screen?

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

That's a software issue, likely. Did you upgrade to lollipop? 5.0 is broken and you need 5.0.2, which is available to download and manually flash. Makes the tablet usable again so well I'm shocked they haven't pushed it to OTA.

It's on 4.4.4 with no updates available.

ChrisAsmadi fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Dec 27, 2014

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:

Kerbtree posted:

Mine runs like a champ.
Guessing it won't receive lollipop though, if that matters.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination

JoeMB posted:

I would also recommend the kindle fire. The interface is pretty much designed for people like him plus great price to boot.

The Kindle Fire's carousel model is definitely more complex than the iPad's app grid. While someone younger would adapt, given the description I'd be hesitant to take the risk since it's the little things which make the difference between a tablet he'll actually use and a tablet which gets left in a drawer. The price differential between it and the Mini 1 isn't large enough to make the gamble worth it.

(Though not even sure why I'm replying since the decision has likely already been made).

ChrisAsmadi posted:

About £130-150, but at this point anything is likely to outperform it because it's running like trash.

ASDA are clearing out their stock of the 32GB Nexus 7 2013 for £99 in-store according to a friend (though he didn't know for sure if it was nationwide or not). You're a day late but its probably still worth trying your luck and giving the closest stores in your area a ring to see if they have any/at what price. Or just cut directly to scrambling if that's more your thing.

Vagrancy fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Dec 27, 2014

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

ChrisAsmadi posted:

Does that get rid of the stupid Tesco button on the Home screen?

Yep. If you've got tesco vouchers to double-up and don't have expectations about getting lollipop, it's a lot of tablet on the cheap.

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

Penetration is the key to success
College Slice
Does anyone have a recommendation for a case for the galaxy tab s 8.4? Preferably with a hand strap.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Horn posted:

Does anyone have a recommendation for a case for the galaxy tab s 8.4? Preferably with a hand strap.

http://www.att.com/cases/samsung-book-cover-samsung-galaxy-tab-s84.html#sku=sku7380249

I just picked this up to replace my cheap chinese poo poo case, it's really well made but gently caress $60 for the case, for some reason AT&T is selling them for $30 right now.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Just picked up a Samsung Tab Pro and I'm loving it! Who do people hate default Samsung crap so much? Installing a launcher has made this a non-issue and it irked me how many reviewers whined about TouchWiz. Yeah it's poo poo but a ten second download mitigates all that.

Anyways, what are some cool things you like to do on your tablet? I've had an android phone forever and this was kind of an impulse purchase so I'm curious to see what kind of use y'all get for your tablets. It's nice as a reading device for sure, at least. Also, the resolution is just amazing.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

KingSlime posted:

Yeah it's poo poo but a ten second download mitigates all that.

I don't hate Touchwiz, but you aren't correct.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
How so? Admittedly I haven't used a fully-stock android device in a long time but aside from minor UI elements that remain doesn't switching over to the Google Now launcher (or another one, such as Nova) provide a similar experience to stock? Similar enough at least.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

KingSlime posted:

How so? Admittedly I haven't used a fully-stock android device in a long time but aside from minor UI elements that remain doesn't switching over to the Google Now launcher (or another one, such as Nova) provide a similar experience to stock? Similar enough at least.
Hell it might even be better than stock, what with the way TouchWiz supports some multi-window functions and whatnot. That said, it's nowhere near the stock experience, for better or worse.

(Full disclosure: I'm not much of a fan of Android on tablets, at least stock Android. It's okay for what it is but I find there's a lot of compromise trying to use a phone UI on a tablet form factor. I've never used a TouchWiz tablet or device so I don't know if it addresses my specific complaints about Android on tablets.)

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

KingSlime posted:

It's not even on the latest OS version for one - and Lollipop has tons of changes, new features and fixes.

Main reason for hate though is that it's precisely because of the existence of TouchWiz that it takes Samsung so long to update their OS to match - and even then its likely stuff will be missing.

Essentially, you don't know what you're missing, Samsung's software is an ugly imitation of what Android looked like 3 versions ago.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
I really can't live without multiwindow on my tablet now, though.

I mean I could, it would just suck a lot.

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

wooger posted:

Essentially, you don't know what you're missing, Samsung's software is an ugly imitation of what Android looked like 3 versions ago.

That's not entirely correct in that Samsung's had a drop down quick settings/notifications bar for at least a year (two?) already. TouchWiz basically Fisher-Price's Android, and that's ok for some people.

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

College Slice

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I really can't live without multiwindow on my tablet now, though.

I mean I could, it would just suck a lot.

I wish there was a way to force apps into multi window mode. I'd love to be able to have twitch and something open at the same time.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

KingSlime posted:

No one has answered your actual question yet and I don' t have a TW device in front of me to enumerate all the places you can see its touch, but I do know the whole Settings app is a travesty of design.

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

In that case, the only things a custom launcher won't change are the slide down settings/notifications screen, and the settings screen.

Also, you will still have the Samsung keyboard (which you can change) and your Samsung apps will still appear in your (new) appdrawer.

e: Multi-window mode is still fantastic though:

u fink u hard Percy fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Dec 30, 2014

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Horn posted:

I wish there was a way to force apps into multi window mode. I'd love to be able to have twitch and something open at the same time.

Yeah, having multi-window compatibility for Netflix/Hulu would just be absolutely killer. As it stands now, it's nice for forums browsing while watching hockey/youtube videos. It's really nice being able to click on a youtube link on the forums and not have it completely kick you out, just open up on a small window above Awful app.

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

Netflix is possible, you have to be rooted and install "multiwindow apps manager" though.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Any suggested accessories for a Shield tablet? I already ordered the 16GB version with a 32GB Samsung Pro and a Poetic Revolution case. I didn't see a personal user case in myself to justify the controller though.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Daimo posted:

Netflix is possible, you have to be rooted and install "multiwindow apps manager" though.

Yeah, I saw this and just didn't feel like having to root my device and whatnot.

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

Yeah I wouldn't do it again, and by that I mean buy another Samsung.

I'd still recommend them for non-nerds though.

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!
If you had money to burn, what would be the best 8" to 10" Android tablet that runs lollipop at the moment? Or is there something truly kick rear end literally right around the corner?

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

College Slice

Daimo posted:

Welp, time to root.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Gerdalti posted:

If you had money to burn, what would be the best 8" to 10" Android tablet that runs lollipop at the moment? Or is there something truly kick rear end literally right around the corner?
As far as I know there are only four that run Lollipop, the Nexuses 7 (2012 & 2013), 9, and 10. Only two fit your criteria of being between 8 and 10 inches, so either the Nexus 9 or 10. The Nexus 9 is almost certainly preferable to the 10 despite both having oddball SoCs.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

LastInLine posted:

As far as I know there are only four that run Lollipop, the Nexuses 7 (2012 & 2013), 9, and 10. Only two fit your criteria of being between 8 and 10 inches, so either the Nexus 9 or 10. The Nexus 9 is almost certainly preferable to the 10 despite both having oddball SoCs.

The Shield Tablet has lollipop as well.

However, from some reading. Lollipop(Any device that uses it) has huge memory leaks right now and can require daily restarts or you'll see RAM usage spike over 1GB.

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

Horn posted:

Welp, time to root.

If you do you may as well install a rom with all the bloatware removed, since Samsung think you're scum and disable OTAs.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

SlayVus posted:

However, from some reading. Lollipop(Any device that uses it) has huge memory leaks right now and can require daily restarts or you'll see RAM usage spike over 1GB.
All of my devices have Lollipop (A Nexus 4, 5, 6, 7 and Moto G GPE) and none have needed a restart except to apply OS updates.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Gerdalti posted:

Why do you want lollipop? I'd say the Xperia Z2 tablet is far and away the best of the bunch but the Tab S is a solid contender as well. Both should get 5.0 soon but I don't think there's any real rush to have it considering memory leaks and other issues.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

SlayVus posted:

Why would using half the RAM on a modern device be considered a problem?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

dissss posted:

Why would using half the RAM on a modern device be considered a problem?
When the OS uses up all the RAM all your apps will drop out of memory the moment you leave them.

It's not that the RAM is being used, it's that the OS itself has a memory leak.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Except that isn't something that is actually happening, at least not on 5.0.1

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

dissss posted:

Except that isn't something that is actually happening, at least not on 5.0.1
Well I for one am still getting launcher redraws and slowdown on my Nexus 5 with 5.0.1. Less than on 5.0.0 but more than on 4.4.

But that isn't at all the point I replied to anyway.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

SlayVus posted:

Got a Nexus 7 2013 (5.0.1) and a Galaxy S4 (5.0 custom Google Edition rom) both running perfectly and only needed to restart both devices after updating the hosts file with adaway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Tunga posted:

But that isn't at all the point I replied to anyway.

The point you replied to was in response to the post that 'you'll see RAM usage spike over 1GB'. Which isn't at all indicative of an issue on a modern device.

As for memory leaks you are not necessarily going to see them - inconsistency is one of the great weak points of Android and there have been similar complaints after every OS version upgrade.