Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice

Dareon posted:

Also, for an interesting thing, kill yourself in London ("/reset" chat command, often more useful than finding something to punch you, yes you can use it to fast travel) and go check out the Templar HQ.

Huh, never noticed that! Do any of the other HQs have easter eggs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Len posted:

You can safely ignore physical/magical defense though because those are worthless.

I thought those looked sort of superfluous, what with defense rating, block rating, and evade rating already available (And usually much easier to get). Good to know I had the right idea.

So I just got to Egypt (Blue Mountain still gives me trouble, though, I focused too much on inner wheel abilities, too). Should I start looking into secondary loadouts, or just keep working on my solo build until I can punch Cthulhu in the face? Because I did put together a healing build and it is absolutely terrible, consisting mainly of Nurture, Coup de Grace and a healing drone.

I might actually be better at tanking, because I have some tank gear and I initially started with Chaos before moving to a Pistols/Elemental crit-fishing build. I even maxed inner-wheel Hammer because I wanted its critical-hit heal.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Finishing the inner wheel isn't actually such a bad thing, it doesn't take more than 1-2 early outer wheel abilities for a good build at that level and you can certainly make "good enough for Blue Mountain" builds with just the inner wheel. Blue Mountain isn't giving you guys problems because you spent too much AP on the inner wheel, that would be silly considering the XP only starts to noticeably ramp up there and in Egypt (it takes about half the AP of the full inner wheel just to reach a 50 AP skill on the outer one).

Also you can heal Polaris ("Cthulhu") fine with inner wheel blood/fist abilities, I don't know how fistol compares though. Fist is good but you want to pick up Surgical Steel for 9 AP so you have a fist healing consumer.

orcane fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Dec 31, 2014

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Toshimo posted:

Turbulence (and evade) aren't really worth it.

Here's a beginner Chaos framework. Just drop your consumer and other actives from your secondary weapon into it.

http://www.badomens.net/calculator#01.09.09.09.09.09004.094.09.09001ms.051.044.09.09.08/b5az00b70000b300b2b0b6c380cq6m00

Here's what I'd been using, which doesn't seem significantly worse: http://www.badomens.net/calculator#0174g.09.09.09.05g.09.090004.09.09000esg.09.09.09.09/05b5b103b70bb300804wb6b20804ba00

Maybe it's a gear issue? I'd just been picking the quest rewards that gave green health+attack gear and dropping ravaging (hit+pen) glyphs into them when I could make them.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

orcane posted:

Finishing the inner wheel isn't actually such a bad thing, it doesn't take more than 1-2 early outer wheel abilities for a good build at that level and you can certainly make "good enough for Blue Mountain" builds with just the inner wheel. Blue Mountain isn't giving you guys problems because you spent too much AP on the inner wheel, that would be silly considering the XP only starts to noticeably ramp up there and in Egypt (it takes about half the AP of the full inner wheel just to reach a 50 AP skill on the outer one).

Also you can heal Polaris ("Cthulhu") fine with inner wheel blood/fist abilities, I don't know how fistol compares though. Fist is good but you want to pick up Surgical Steel for 9 AP so you have a fist healing consumer.

Cauterize/Surgical steel is basically all you need to heal anything ever. Fist healing is easy mode healing. Sure it doesn't bring in the sick nasty dps but :effort:

Edit: How did TSW get to be possibly third? http://www.mmorpg.com/showFeature.cfm/feature/9253/General-The-Great-MMO-FaceOff-of-2014-THE-FINALS.html

They've done gently caress all this year. 2013 actually had more issues and events than 2014.

But then again maybe I'm just bitter that rather than accept negative feedback Funcom chose to block me from every bit of social media they have.

Len fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Dec 31, 2014

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
The hugbox always links to votings on that site, I also assume there's a part of the MMO "community" that laps up everything not-fantasy and they don't have a lot to choose from.

Actually significant MMOs don't actually care about MMORPG.com articles which is why you see TSW up there with LotRO and TESO :smuggo:

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
Well right now it is up against EVE online which is barely even a game.

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

orcane posted:

Oh, no. It wasn't my build. I had to grind sp because I dumped it into weapons because I didn't understand how to properly spend them.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Ah yeah. SP is different, don't spread SP thin until you get to QL10 on two of them.

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

orcane posted:

Ah yeah. SP is different, don't spread SP thin until you get to QL10 on two of them.

Yep, it wasn't too bad. I'm in all ql5 and 6 right now with only playing a few days. I have a healing build and I'm itching to try it out in a dungeon. Games been a blast, and I LOVE the illuminati quest turn ins.

Demons are so blasé.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.
I have a few weeks off and want to try this out.
Could someone PM me a trial key?

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

KetTarma posted:

I have a few weeks off and want to try this out.
Could someone PM me a trial key?

A2CSFPPVUH9XCTER, this should be one of the christmas invites that gives 30 days.

alfheimwanderer
Jun 1, 2011

Oh brave new world that hath such people in it...
If any goon wants to try this out for a month :

NHHB4GLQNMEVEWFQ

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

HughGRect posted:

A2CSFPPVUH9XCTER, this should be one of the christmas invites that gives 30 days.

Thanks. Installing now.

Myriad
Apr 26, 2010
Got this game on the flash sale and enjoying the hell out of it so far, my only complaint is how investigation missions seem to break to hell if more then one person at a time is trying to do them.

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

KetTarma posted:

Thanks. Installing now.

Probably the wrong place to do this, but how is having free time again ket?

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Secret Spoon posted:

Probably the wrong place to do this, but how is having free time again ket?

Well, I'm on winter break from college right now. I graduate in May 2016 then it's off to be a grownup again.

The free time is nice but I'm a little antsy to go back to school and finish this year off so I can focus on job stuff.

Anyone have an opinion on Illuminati vs Templar? I've only played for a little bit and am unsure what faction to join. I know that it doesn't matter from a mechanics perspective, just wanted to get an idea of which had the better flavor.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

KetTarma posted:

Anyone have an opinion on Illuminati vs Templar? I've only played for a little bit and am unsure what faction to join. I know that it doesn't matter from a mechanics perspective, just wanted to get an idea of which had the better flavor.

flip a coin, honestly. all 3 factions bring something to the table. illuminati has a fantastic mission handler, templar has that faded-british-empire charm, and dragon is all about the random factor.

Pesterchum
Nov 8, 2009

clown car to hell choo choo

KetTarma posted:

I always found the templar a little dull, they felt like the straight men in the setting standing next to Dragon and Illuminati. There's definitely people who enjoy templar but I found the Illuminati characters and handler messages much more fun to read.

Cpl Clegg
May 18, 2008

Speaking of X vs. Y vs. Z. What faction should I try as a first time player ? Is there a difference ? Where's the most engaging story ? Should I get an invite to a goon guild as soon as I launch it ? Should I even try the game ? I'm confused, please help.

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

Cpl Clegg posted:

Speaking of X vs. Y vs. Z. What faction should I try as a first time player ? Is there a difference ? Where's the most engaging story ? Should I get an invite to a goon guild as soon as I launch it ? Should I even try the game ? I'm confused, please help.

I will tackle the last question first: I do stand behind this games 'single player' content. The writing, voice acting and setting are fantastic and on those merits alone it is easily worth a try, especially if you can pick the game up when it is on sale. The combat is kinda meh, but it is still interesting to use the ability wheel to make your own special snowflake build to kill zombies and punch Cthulhu in the face. I enjoyed the Illuminati faction specific cut scenes more than the Templar or Dragon, the Illuminati mission handler is fantastic and the flavor text is entertaining; however, all three are well written and enjoyable. The big difference between the three factions are a small number of unique story missions, dress up barbie clothes, and the text messages you receive whenever you complete a mission. I don't think any of the goon guilds are still alive, but I could be wrong.

Cpl Clegg
May 18, 2008

Answered my last question myself. It's poo poo. Well, at least for me. I feel that this game is more annoying that interesting, sadly. I agree that single player content is nice, acting and setting are good but I wish it was packaged in more balanced and structured way.

It's just...feels incomplete, even after all the time it's spent after the launch. Maybe it's just something Funcom-specific ?

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

What annoyed you about it? I started playing it a month or so ago and have quite enjoyed it. I just wish there was still a goon presence so I could run some dungeons. I hate teaming up with pubbies when I don't really know what I'm doing either.

Cpl Clegg
May 18, 2008

Hello Sailor posted:

What annoyed you about it? I started playing it a month or so ago and have quite enjoyed it. I just wish there was still a goon presence so I could run some dungeons. I hate teaming up with pubbies when I don't really know what I'm doing either.

Its combat system is probably my biggest problem, I just don't like how it's played. Quest system is strange. Quest difficulty says nothing about its actual difficulty. Out of place quests. Unexpected difficulty spikes. Lots of running across the map for no real reason. Stuff like that.

Just little things I didn't like, creating a feeling of an unpolished game. I don't say it's bad for everyone, far from it. I actually like its setting. Just not enough to play the actual game.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
The way they expect you to get missions is bizarre if you're used to the regular mmo thing of rolling into town, picking up 20 quests and then running around doing them. With this you're meant to pick up a single mission and then when it's done, you should be within sight of another mission you can take. They don't tell you that anywhere though.

subhuman filth
Nov 1, 2006

This game is completely loving awesome. Just picked it up on flash sale and it's more like a point and click adventure game you can play with your friends than a true MMO, which serves me just fine. About halfway through Savage Coast (I think?) and hoping it keeps up the pace. Feels like a cross between VTM: Bloodlines and Myst.

Assuming the game doesn't eventually devolve into an mmo combat shitfest like everything else out there, I figure I'm probably going to put a few more bucks into it. Could anyone recommend which issues are worth picking up first/at all?

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

subhuman filth posted:

Could anyone recommend which issues are worth picking up first/at all?
All of them except 8, I think.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

subhuman filth posted:

...Feels like a cross between VTM: Bloodlines...

drat! You just make me even gladder that I picked this up over the Steam Christmas sale. It'll be a little while before I get around to playing it, but I'm definitely looking forward to it, especially after reading that. :cthulhu: :drac:

Pesterchum
Nov 8, 2009

clown car to hell choo choo

Brave New World posted:

drat! You just make me even gladder that I picked this up over the Steam Christmas sale. It'll be a little while before I get around to playing it, but I'm definitely looking forward to it, especially after reading that. :cthulhu: :drac:

The combat is super janky but the characters, writing and atmosphere are all top notch. So yeah, it actually is kind of like Bloodlines now that I think about it.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Pesterchum posted:

The combat is super janky but the characters, writing and atmosphere are all top notch. So yeah, it actually is kind of like Bloodlines now that I think about it.

Yeah, TSM content is great, combat engine is pure poo poo, progression scheme is interesting but I haven't played recently so can't say good or bad.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Just play it as an adventure mystery RPG. Every MMO aspect of it is pretty poo poo.

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

Is Tokyo done yet?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Drinkfist posted:

Is Tokyo done yet?

Not yet, they're currently working on Issue 11 which is basically Orochi Tower (or so its been heavily implied). The rest is done though.

I like Tokyo although the mob density can be a real pain in the rear end when you just want to travel somewhere. Blue Mountain has nothing on that place. Great atmosphere though.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

DancingShade posted:

Not yet, they're currently working on Issue 11 which is basically Orochi Tower (or so its been heavily implied). The rest is done though.

I like Tokyo although the mob density can be a real pain in the rear end when you just want to travel somewhere. Blue Mountain has nothing on that place. Great atmosphere though.

Orochi Housing Projects is brutal. It's really easy to aggro extra mobs while you're fighting something, like those stupid onryo with those floating disk things that kill you. :argh:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Is Tokyo part 2 like part 1? Sure it's out but only as a hollow husk that's almost devoid if quests until they release two more $10 (after discount) content packs?

TracerM17
Mar 1, 2012
Nap Ghost
There's a fair number of green missions you will find laying around as you are running from the millions of mobs you accidentally agro'd and can't kill due to needing a solid 2-3 seconds to switch your aegis poo poo around.

Also, I really don't understand mob density in this game. Zombies in Zombietown USA were expected because that's just how zombies roll, but it so much more fun when there are fewer tougher mobs (that you have to try to avoid) than millions of easy ones. Their genre is horror/conspiracy and secret societies, you would think Funcom would try harder to introduce mobs in a way that made us like... fear them? Funcom: "Oh, here's a new ghost mob... btw, 12 more around the corner. Have fun 1 shotting them all"

TracerM17 fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jan 5, 2015

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

TracerM17 posted:

There's a fair number of green missions you will find laying around as you are running from the millions of mobs you accidentally agro'd and can't kill due to needing a solid 2-3 seconds to switch your aegis poo poo around.

Also, I really don't understand mob density in this game. Zombies in Zombietown USA were expected because that's just how zombies roll, but it so much more fun when there are fewer tougher mobs (that you have to try to avoid) than millions of easy ones. Their genre is horror/conspiracy and secret societies, you would think Funcom would try harder to introduce mobs in a way that made us like... fear them? Funcom: "Oh, here's a new ghost mob... btw, 12 more around the corner. Have fun 1 shotting them all"

That's just because Funcom doesn't actually test anything related to combat. You can also see evidence in this with Super Hel 2013. She had what 210,000,000? They just dumped her without actually testing.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Crimson Theatre was all the proof anyone ever needed that funcom doesn't test combat mechanics.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Anias posted:

Crimson Theatre was all the proof anyone ever needed that funcom doesn't test combat mechanics.

That was so long ago I forgot all about that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Anias posted:

I wasn't paying attention when that happened; what was the issue?

• Locked thread