Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Probad
Feb 24, 2013

I want to believe!

Smudgie Buggler posted:

I haven't owned a Nintendo console since the SNES, but by girlfriend bought me a Wii U for Christmas (cause she's really cute like that). Loving the poo poo out of most of it so far, but holy good goddamn how have Nintendo and the fanbase allowed Mario Kart to become so much about the ridiculous powerups over the years? How is there no "Meritocratic Mario Kart" where you can't get totally hosed over even though you're playing flawlessly just because the useless shits behind you got lucky? Some will surely say I'm missing the point of Mario Kart. I don't think I am, because I like the silliness and chaos in small doses, but if it's ever going to be treated as a competitive game (which online play suggests it wants to be) then I just can't understand some of the design choices. Specifically, the decision not to include a mode that does away with all the stupid powerups but doesn't lead to a track utterly littered with bananas. Life isn't fair and depends almost entirely on luck. I really don't want my avenues of escapism to be the same.

tl;dr I love Mario Kart in my heart of hearts, but gently caress anybody who thinks the state of it doesn't need serious revising in order to be a proper game rather than an elaborate slot machine.

Wow. Where did you find this quote?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Smudgie Buggler posted:

but if it's ever going to be treated as a competitive game (which online play suggests it wants to be)

Good stuff, cheers

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Smudgie Buggler posted:

I haven't owned a Nintendo console since the SNES, but by girlfriend bought me a Wii U for Christmas (cause she's really cute like that). Loving the poo poo out of most of it so far, but holy good goddamn how have Nintendo and the fanbase allowed Mario Kart to become so much about the ridiculous powerups over the years? How is there no "Meritocratic Mario Kart" where you can't get totally hosed over even though you're playing flawlessly just because the useless shits behind you got lucky? Some will surely say I'm missing the point of Mario Kart. I don't think I am, because I like the silliness and chaos in small doses, but if it's ever going to be treated as a competitive game (which online play suggests it wants to be) then I just can't understand some of the design choices. Specifically, the decision not to include a mode that does away with all the stupid powerups but doesn't lead to a track utterly littered with bananas. Life isn't fair and depends almost entirely on luck. I really don't want my avenues of escapism to be the same.

tl;dr I love Mario Kart in my heart of hearts, but gently caress anybody who thinks the state of it doesn't need serious revising in order to be a proper game rather than an elaborate slot machine.

:lol:

No you just want Mario Kart to be something it's not and has never been

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I'd love a "For Glory" mode in Mario Kart 8, but it'd be nothing but Buggy Bowsers. Not that there's anything wrong with that. Yea, I want For Glory mode. Patch that poo poo in, Shiggy.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Smudgie Buggler posted:

Counterpoint: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_JcM45gaFs

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

The best player in a race still comes in first place 90% of the time no matter how many items get thrown and the skill gap is crazy wide online. The same people always come in at the top and the same group is always in last. Maybe skill matters!!

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Smudgie Buggler posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLKhxjfG03A

Mario Kart has always been luck driven, in case this is a real post

XtraSmiley
Oct 4, 2002

Awesome! posted:

how many points do i need to get a thing from the digital deluxe promotion? I might just buy pikmin on the eshop since i am watching copies get gobbled up on ebay at $75+

To those who were waiting to see if I could still get P3 for $30, sorry, all gone, HOWEVER:

Kmart still has it for $30, so either go there to get, order from them online (free shipping at $60, so buy two) or have Walmart or Target price match for local pick up.

That being said, is it too late to do the DDP or not? I was waiting until today to get the P3 DLC, which is like $17 for all of it, right?

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Joining the horde of people who decided to get a Wii u after Xmas, what's the best way to pick up old cheaper Wii games? I didn't have a Wii so I figured I'd start with older games to fill a collection out, Is it GameSpot or does ebay / amazon / some other thing have better deals? This is also my first console since getting an n64 so I have no clue the standard where to go places for good deals are.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Dec 31, 2014

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Mario Kart owns.

XtraSmiley
Oct 4, 2002

KildarX posted:

Joining the horde of people who decided to get a Wii u after Xmas, what's the best way to pick up old cheaper Wii games? I didn't have a Wii so I figured I'd start with older games to fill a collection out, Is it GameSpot or does ebay / amazon / some other thing have better deals? This is also my first console since getting an n64 so I have no clue the standard where to go places for good deals are.

I started down that road, but honestly, there are SOOO many great Wii U games, I would say focus there instead. I mean why get Mario Kart Wii, when Mario Kart 8 is out? NSMB Wii, when NSMB Wii U is available? Unless you are looking for like $5 games then, which won't be the good ones...

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

The most important Wii game is Muscle March. Download it or you're an idiot.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
There are a ton of great 3rd party Wii games out there that'll help buff up your library but really, the WiiU games should keep you plenty busy. Little King's Story, The Last Story and the No More Heroes games are the immediate fun games that come to mind.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

bushisms.txt posted:

Just had the most fun I've ever had while playing a video game, and it was 2012 Game of the Year NintendoLand's Animal Crossing:Sweet Day with my partner's parents and siblings. Had 2 players on the gamepad, 4 wiimotes, and a lot of cornonas.

The Wii U owns.

Sweet Day is the best multiplayer game ever. There is nothing better than pulling off a coordinated heist, stuffing one animal completely full of all the candy under the Gatekeepers' nose. I would spend a ridiculous amount of money for extra DLC levels for the competitive multiplayer games but it'll never happen.

deadwing fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Dec 31, 2014

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Smudgie Buggler posted:

Ironically, MK8 toned down the items immensely compared to 7 or Wii.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"
So I just bought and downloaded my favourite snes game ever, Kirby Superstar (Funpack) and has anyone mentioned that this was actually proto smash bros.?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

KildarX posted:

GameStop has been clearing out their Wii games so you might be able to pick up a few deals there for a little bit longer, but after that you're pretty much on Amazon and eBay.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
I remembered goons saying that Kmart had good Wii U deals so I went, and this was the entirety of their Wii U selection:

As if that alone wasn't funny enough, they wanted $60 for NSMBU and $50 for Fit.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
But MK8 DOES have no-items mode, doesn't it? I'm fairly sure you can set that in versus mode, and I remember that there are online communities you can join that do no-item races (but really you should race with items on).

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
If you decide to join a no-item races MK8 community please also eject yourself from the planet.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Why would you play Mario Kart with no items? Like I understand not playing with items in Smash Bros but no items in Mario Kart sounds insane and boring.

XtraSmiley
Oct 4, 2002

Polo-Rican posted:

I remembered goons saying that Kmart had good Wii U deals so I went, and this was the entirety of their Wii U selection:

As if that alone wasn't funny enough, they wanted $60 for NSMBU and $50 for Fit.

yeah, that's b/c all the $10 and $15 and $30 games are looooooong gone. I was so tempted to buy like 2-3 copies of everything when I hit an out of the way Kmart on my trip home this year. I figured, nah, I'll let some kid get lucky this xmas instead...

Your best bet may be online now. I also missed the $30 Pro controller by minutes, bah!

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

They felt like you were running on butter. They're awful games.

Oh forgot about God hand. Welp you all convinced me. Have to admit when I made a mistake. PS2 did have 10 games worth owning. Great job everyone. That was a great team effort.

VBC you're usually cool but there's no conceivable way you could be trying to convince anyone that God Hand is better than DMC3, right?

I mean holy hell it is literally the largest and most diverse library in gaming history, this is a pretty weak troll and I'm sad to see people falling over it, even if it is just an excuse to gush about sweet PS2 games.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
I had been considering getting Skyward Sword and using an SD card to grab my save off my sister's Wii during xmas, but I forgot the SD card so I just ended up finishing it after my nephew went to bed. Turns out I was like 2 hours from the end anyway, so it would've been a waste. Granted I hadn't completed all of the side quest things, but I think all I had to do was get more crystal things for that demon guy and obtain the unbreakable shield. As such I defeated the end boss sans shield because of that much to the surprise of my sister who had to get the unbreakable shield to finish the game. Like dodging isn't a thing, eh sis?

Got MK8 during xmas as well, still haven't had a chance to play it, probably will a bunch tomorrow since I have the day off though.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Brightman posted:

I had been considering getting Skyward Sword and using an SD card to grab my save off my sister's Wii during xmas, but I forgot the SD card so I just ended up finishing it after my nephew went to bed. Turns out I was like 2 hours from the end anyway, so it would've been a waste. Granted I hadn't completed all of the side quest things, but I think all I had to do was get more crystal things for that demon guy and obtain the unbreakable shield. As such I defeated the end boss sans shield because of that much to the surprise of my sister who had to get the unbreakable shield to finish the game. Like dodging isn't a thing, eh sis?

Got MK8 during xmas as well, still haven't had a chance to play it, probably will a bunch tomorrow since I have the day off though.

The final boss is much more fun without a shield, well done

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.

Macaluso posted:

Why would you play Mario Kart with no items? Like I understand not playing with items in Smash Bros but no items in Mario Kart sounds insane and boring.

Seriously, I didn't know there was a "Fox vs Fox, Final Destination, no items" contingent of hyper-competitive nerds for Mario Kart too.

Jonny_Rocket
Mar 13, 2007

"Inspiration, move me brightly"

Macaluso posted:

I second this.

Has the original person who bitched ever played a Mario Kart game before? The "silliness and chaos" is a big part of the charm (and draw) of the game, for me anyways.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

Looper posted:

The final boss is much more fun without a shield, well done

Admittedly I had it during the first phase of the fight and even though it was the regen one it broke fairly quickly cause I wasn't paying attention to it. There was a fun panicky bit during the last phase when I didn't know what I had to do because I thought the sword wasn't working right but then it hit me like a strike of lightning :downsrim:

I liked the game a lot but totally get why some people had issues with its linearity. Really looking forward to the next one though, and also trying really hard to not buy WWHD since I played through the Gamecube version like 3 or 4 times :sweatdrop:

Macaluso posted:

Both are insane and boring, let's not kid ourselves.

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

I hated the new Stupid Newbie avatar so much that I bought a new one for this user. Congrats, Lowtax.

DoctorOfLawls posted:

My 6-year-old and I are playing Smash and having a great time, but so far it seems a lot of random button mashing. Any beginner tips you can share?

There's a separate Smash thread that has some good general gameplay advice, and advice on specific characters. The gameplay can get complex if you really get into it, but if you're just having fun it's easy.

You can customize the controls (creating different named profiles) - it might help to turn "tap up to jump" off, and you can set the non-movement joystick to do different kinds of attacks. A is attack and B is special, and you can use directional inputs for different attacks and specials ( right + B is different from up + B, etc). Tilting the joystick in a direction + A does a tilt attack, while flicking the joystick as far out as it can go + A does a Smash attack which is stronger but slower and can be charged by holding the button. Most characters can jump twice, then use their Up + B special for extra distance. Use your Shield (R button) to block attacks, and while shielding you can flick the joystick in a direction to roll that way. If your opponent is shielding you can press L to grab them, and when they're grabbed you can attack them with A and throw them in a direction by flicking that direction.

That's the basics, but the key to feeling like you're not button mashing it to learn the characters. Pick a couple of your favorites and get to know them better. Good luck to you and your kid, hope you both have fun!

KildarX posted:

You're doing the right thing looking online, though places like GameStop still have used Wii Games. Not sure where you'll find the best deals, but you should be able to compare prices with a quick search if you know what games you're looking for. The OP has a short list of Recommended Wii Games and all of those are really great, but of course there's more good games that aren't listed there.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

update: pikmin points came through and I got a $5 code. now just waiting to see if they want to give me points for the preinstalled games or not

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
So now that I've added my Amazon credit that one of my aunts provided for Christmas, I'm considering using that to get myself Xenoblade Chronicles, since hell if I can find it anywhere else in the UK. Before I do though, I need to ask: Is the classic controller considered particularly necessary to play?

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Astro Nut posted:

So now that I've added my Amazon credit that one of my aunts provided for Christmas, I'm considering using that to get myself Xenoblade Chronicles, since hell if I can find it anywhere else in the UK. Before I do though, I need to ask: Is the classic controller considered particularly necessary to play?

Nope, I put like 90 hours into it with the Wii Remote + Nunchuk. I have no idea why they were bundling it with the Classic Controller

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

SHOTGUN REGULAR posted:

VBC you're usually cool but there's no conceivable way you could be trying to convince anyone that God Hand is better than DMC3, right?

God Hand is way better and funnier than any DMC.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

SHOTGUN REGULAR posted:

I mean holy hell it is literally the largest and most diverse library in gaming history, this is a pretty weak troll and I'm sad to see people falling over it, even if it is just an excuse to gush about sweet PS2 games.

I still stand by the PS2 was an overal negative as it was a garbage console that broke all the drat time, ruined entire franchises, and lead to the AAA gaming garbage we have today. But I was proven wrong and it did have at least 10 titles worth owning.

God hand is also a million times superior to DMC3. DMC individually or as a whole is garbage next to god hand.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Imagine a God Hand 2 where you used the Wiimote+Chuck as the hands and the game pad as a map... :eyepop:

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

God hand is also a million times superior to DMC3. DMC individually or as a whole is garbage next to god hand.

Let's be fair. Most of existence is garbage next to God Hand.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

oddium posted:

Imagine a God Hand 2 where you used the Wiimote+Chuck as the hands and the game pad as a map... :eyepop:

People like you are why we have a Wii Zelda game that no one has played, or ever wants to.

(I'd still play your punch game, sounds rad)

Edit: reminded me of this, while I played a long time ago and wish I owned:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q58bIVsklAs&t=136s

Chinook fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Dec 31, 2014

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

God Hand is the Fist of the North Star game I always wanted. Its basically an 80s anime tribute and it owns.

DMC tried too hard and treads too close to "monkey cheese that's so japan" territory

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Turns out Duck hunt is really easy when you can see your cross hairs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

greatn posted:

Turns out Duck hunt is really easy when you can see your cross hairs.

Turn them off with the D-pad.

• Locked thread