Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib
lol if you don't yearn for the day a machine god controls all aspects of our lives

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Trashman posted:

I read about three paragraphs and that was enough. fuckin hell these people are hosed in the head.

Articles like these are written by people who have no understanding of the sort of life that normal people lead, and no desire to learn.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
I wonder how much the "liberal arts degrees are a waste of money" and the "pursue your dream of writing cooking blogs and Egyptian hieroglyphic travel sites" spheres overlap.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

ConanTheLibrarian posted:

lol if you don't yearn for the day a machine god controls all aspects of our lives

all watched over by machines of loving grace

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

ConanTheLibrarian posted:

blasphemer! Only the Emperor controls the destiny of mankind.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

qntm posted:

yes, let's put algorithms in charge of things

literally skynet

skynet was right

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

all the tech idiots thinking things will end up more star trek and less brazil is pretty indicative of their lack of exposure to how actual humans act when backed up by unquestionable edicts, regardless of if they are issued by machine or not.

or they all think they will be tuttle.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
things will end up like fifth element or dredd

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
probably dredd

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8MozKS9MmY

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

Shifty Pony posted:

all the tech idiots thinking things will end up more star trek and less brazil is pretty indicative of their lack of exposure to how actual humans act when backed up by unquestionable edicts, regardless of if they are issued by machine or not.

or they all think they will be tuttle.

Star Trek is cool and all but they also have the ability to create matter out of literal thin air and anyone who thinks we're going to have a utopia while capital is still in finite supply has chosen to simply gloss over the single most important piece of technology the show has

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
star trek is atlas shrugged but going the other direction

pointers
Sep 4, 2008

carry on then posted:

i'm so whitenoise no one will quote this post
nah i see u carry on then

pointers
Sep 4, 2008

Snapchat A Titty posted:

it was part of the episode with the substitutes for deceased loved ones which were pretty much just markov chain bots. in an early scene, the guy makes fun of a childhood photo and puts it on his profile for lols. then later when the bot comes across the picture, it thinks he was genuine and acts like it.
this just reminds me of live forever as you are now with alan resnick https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xg29TuWo0Yo

pointers
Sep 4, 2008

that article is entirely the type of nerd that thinks we can avoid the consequences of the rapid decline of the ecosystem on this planet by populating mars

pointers
Sep 4, 2008

or the type of programmer who rewrites half a system instead of finding+fixing a bug

pointers
Sep 4, 2008

why do nerds hate fixing things so much that they gotta engineer new problems isntead

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

bassguitarhero posted:

Star Trek is cool and all but they also have the ability to create matter out of literal thin air and anyone who thinks we're going to have a utopia while capital is still in finite supply has chosen to simply gloss over the single most important piece of technology the show has

i never figured out how the replicators could solve the problem of universal access to desirable non-replicable goods like "a piece of land in san francisco" or "scarlett johanssen's boobs"

i guess that's holodeck territory

how much of the population in star trek is shut-in holodeck junkies living a whole secondary virtual existence? gotta be at least as many as there are self-described Gamers today

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

pointers posted:

why do nerds hate fixing things so much that they gotta engineer new problems isntead

because failing at a R&D science project hurts ego less than failing at a simple fix

Thesoro
Dec 6, 2005

YOU CANNOT LEARN
TO WHISTLE

Sagebrush posted:

i never figured out how the replicators could solve the problem of universal access to desirable non-replicable goods like "a piece of land in san francisco" or "scarlett johanssen's boobs"

how much of the population in star trek is shut-in holodeck junkies living a whole secondary virtual existence? gotta be at least as many as there are self-described Gamers today
i imagine real estate pressure would be helped in some way by cheap and extremely fast transit

never really understood how sisko's dad's restaurant worked, though. like i get that he made food better than replicators but without money his supply chain would be pretty terrible
or maybe it's just a tv show

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008
isn't Star Trek a Santa Claus economy where you ask for what you want once a year and an ai gives you it if it thinks you're deserving or something.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Thesoro posted:

i imagine real estate pressure would be helped in some way by cheap and extremely fast transit

never really understood how sisko's dad's restaurant worked, though. like i get that he made food better than replicators but without money his supply chain would be pretty terrible
or maybe it's just a tv show

what, like live in a cube underground in antarctica and use the transporter whenever you want to go out on the town? i think people would still fight over the actual real estate

Thesoro
Dec 6, 2005

YOU CANNOT LEARN
TO WHISTLE

Sagebrush posted:

what, like live in a cube underground in antarctica and use the transporter whenever you want to go out on the town? i think people would still fight over the actual real estate
well sure but there's a lot of in-between scenarios that exist, i.e. if you can take the hyperrail for free at any time, the 'convenient' parts of a city expand immensely. and it sure seems like earth solved overpopulation.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

pointers posted:

i think some of them are genuinely trying to fix the problems, or at least think they are

the problem is that they only vaguely understand these problems, and only from the perspective of a rich white male who's never faced any real obstacles in their life and idealizes technology to the point of fetishizing it. they certainly don't understand why these problems happen or what needs to be done to realistically fix them. and when all you really have is a hammer (and a shitload of money, but giving money to poor people is unamerican), it's time to disrupt the gently caress out of some nails

people who understand that a problem exists and needs to be fixed, but don't actually understand the problem itself or how to fix it, are remarkably gullible and prone to doing stupid poo poo

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

FamDav posted:

Santa Claus economy

lol mods

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

somehow i doubt people would really care all that much about where they live if they get everything they need for free and can instantly travel anywhere they want to go

sinekumquat
Jun 12, 2005

the most dangerous philosopher in the west
College Slice

Sagebrush posted:

someone make this episode

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014

Main Paineframe posted:

pure, unfiltered, techcrunch. those with weak hearts may wish to avert their eyes now

http://techcrunch.com/2014/08/17/algorithm-overlords/

i can't even pretend to attempt to read that

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Sagebrush posted:

sure, but since no one really needs to work unless they want to and poo poo, the pressures a lot less.

a lot of star trek society people would just be totally ok with hanging out at some popular place and then teleporting away to their nearby home or w/e. let alone all of them that get to just take a cruise to fuckin saturn or whatever.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
people who are not ok w/ the lot given to them by earth gov are encouraged to either join Starfleet, move to a colony, or get the gently caress out of the federation.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Thesoro posted:

and it sure seems like earth solved overpopulation.

with ww3: all nukes edition followed by faster than light travel

sounds like a reasonable thing to expect to happen irl

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

syscall girl posted:

on a somewhat related note somebody in the dnd chat thread said they saw fishmech arguing with one of his alternate accounts :allears:

about trains

:rip:

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Sagebrush posted:

i think it was in the scifi thread where someone was pointing out how the only people interested in starfleet would necessarily be maladjusted or otherwise mentally disturbed people who are wanting to leave literal utopia for any reason

the puppeteers in ringworld characterize this as well

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

carry on then posted:

i'm so whitenoise no one will quote this post

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
that post is pretty funny because he gets flirts so close to advocating for essentially communism and then veers off and claims that our wonderful future utopia is going to be brought about by a system in which people's employment is even less secure and more exploitative.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

that post is pretty funny because he gets flirts so close to advocating for essentially communism and then veers off and claims that our wonderful future utopia is going to be brought about by a system in which people's employment is even less secure and more exploitative.

perhaps the same could be said of all libertarians

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
hook to snag leftists before they question too much of the status quo

Misandrist Duck
Oct 22, 2012
Uber aims to make $100 million in the next 24 hours

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Citizen Tayne posted:

I wonder how much the "liberal arts degrees are a waste of money" and the "pursue your dream of writing cooking blogs and Egyptian hieroglyphic travel sites" spheres overlap.

having a wife who's only ambition is to operate a glorified facebook page about your kids and also cooking and other crap is like the STEM version of a traditional marriage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

having a wife who's only ambition is to operate a glorified facebook page about your kids and also cooking and other crap is like the STEM version of a traditional marriage.

if my neighbors are any indication she should teach some kinda yoga class or perhaps does freelance graphic arts work for startups

this is assuming that she works at all b/c there are plenty of stay at home wives (w/o kids) in my complex

• Locked thread