Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
It didn't make it into the book, the dude who made Dark Dungeons talked to him about it. The DM tells you what the monsters are planning to do. If you say what you're going to do before that, you get +1. After, -1. It's on a d6 so it actually does matter. That way if you want to charge ahead and leave the wizard to his own devices, you can, and you are more likely to attack the monsters first. You can tank for the wizard by waiting back (which you always did after level 9, because you went last anyway) and hearing if the wizard is going to be pummelled or not and getting in the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Bob Quixote posted:

I'm not too familiar with Mantzer D&D - what kind of bonus did you get?

Also, what exactly does 'declare before the monsters' mean - like, you said your thing out loud before the DM did?

Old-school D&D had a strict order in resolving actions. Per my reading of the text from the Basic set, it goes something like:

1. The DM rolls a d6 for monster initiative, one player rolls a d6 for player initiative.
2. All characters will declare their intended actions for the round
3. Characters from the side with higher initiative, that choose to move, will move
4. Characters from the side with higher initiative that choose to fire ranged attacks, will shoot
5. Characters from the side with higher initiative that choose to cast spells, will complete their casting
6. Characters from the side with higher initiative that choose to engage in melee, will conduct their melee attacks
7. Repeat steps 3 to 6, but for the side that lost initiative
8. Do this for every round. Yes, that means that one side may potentially get back-to-back turns

And sometimes you would do this for individual characters rather than whole sides. Everyone rolls a d6 (players can have theirs modified by DEX), then everyone declares, then everyone's actions get resolved in order of their rolls.

In cases of ties, the DM can choose to have rerolls to break ties, or have ties happen "simultaneously". That is, even if you kill the goblin with your melee attack, the goblin still gets to do his melee attack against you.

The thing is, since you tell the DM what you want to do in step 2, any spellcaster that declares that they will cast a spell, but are interrupted by taking a hit, will lose the spell, and other suc temporal considerations.

And I think that since it was never explicitly spelled out when you need to "declare actions" whether it's before or after step 1's rolling for initiative, then some people have rules where "if I declare my action before initiative is rolled, I get a +1 to the d6 roll". You're trading away the ability to react to the result of the roll, in exchange for a sizable chance of going first and not needing to react in the first place.

EDIT: Okay yeah, Dark Dungeons, which is a retroclone of the Rules Cyclopedia, does codify this:

1. If you wish to declare your action before everyone else, you get a +1 to your d6 initiative roll. Do this now.
2. The DM declares actions for the monsters
3. Anyone who hasn't declared their actions yet, must do so now, at a -1 penalty to their initiative roll. You're trading knowledge of what the monsters are going to do in exchange for a sizable chance of letting the monsters go first
4. Characters roll initiative individually, with the modifiers from steps 1 and 3, and further modified by DEX
5. Actions are resolved in order of initiative

gradenko_2000 fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Dec 31, 2014

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

ProfessorCirno posted:

Also literally no edition save 3.x has given a "you MUST attack me" button.

Hey now, 2e had the Kender Taunt.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

Tendales posted:

Hey now, 2e had the Kender Taunt.

Yes but that was too effective. We had to kill them all.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Everyone arguing that fighters need mechanical ways to tank are inherently buying into caster supremacy. The number one risk in playing a spellcaster in 2e and earlier is death, due to low hps, low armor class, and being targeted. So to be successful the wizards needs to stock up on self defense skills to stay alive, not death spells. Having the dm ignore attacking wizards with arrows is the same result as wanting martials to have mechanical ways to force tanking. It results in the wizard being able to use his limited resource of spells only to be offensive.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

mastershakeman posted:

Everyone arguing that fighters need mechanical ways to tank are inherently buying into caster supremacy.

Not really. There are always going to be situations where an NPC wants to go where the players don't want it to, and it's not always going to relate to the wizard.

Unfortunately for the D&D world, unless your tavern's bouncers are wizards, they can't do dick to keep anyone out.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
I don't agree. Caster supremacy means that wizards rule the encounter and fighters are irrelevant. I think it's okay for one class to be a damage-dealing artillery platform and the other to be a defender who controls enemies and protects the party - then everyone has an important role to play. This is what 4E did, as far as I can tell. In 5E, even if fighters had tank mechanics, the wizard would simply be inconvenienced for the lack of one, and can still fly away or turn invisible or reverse gravity and plunge all the enemies into the sky or whatever.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

mastershakeman posted:

Everyone arguing that fighters need mechanical ways to tank are inherently buying into caster supremacy.

5e has been predictable with survivability.The classes I see actually dropping in combat the most are the mid or low AC ones. Bards, rogues, anyone that thought AC14 and D6 hit dice was good enough to melee and that have no built in defense option.

Casters already survive pretty well, partially due to range, and thanks to shield and dipping for armor. The two most used 5e wizard spells are sleep and shield. Offense and defense. If anything, the shield spell is too good, and should only grant the bonus vs the single incoming attack instead of the rest of the round.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

mastershakeman posted:

Everyone arguing that fighters need mechanical ways to tank are inherently buying into caster supremacy. The number one risk in playing a spellcaster in 2e and earlier is death, due to low hps, low armor class, and being targeted. So to be successful the wizards needs to stock up on self defense skills to stay alive, not death spells. Having the dm ignore attacking wizards with arrows is the same result as wanting martials to have mechanical ways to force tanking. It results in the wizard being able to use his limited resource of spells only to be offensive.

Not really though. They're saying at least that fighters have a contribution - a useful and meaningful way to protect their squishier allies. If you're playing a defender and getting pissed because your job is defending your allies, you're probably playing the wrong class.

If you're playing what's nominally a defender, but you're getting pissed because you have no meaningful mechanics to back up the role, you're probably playing 5e :v:

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

"The warmth of life has entered my tomb!"

Lightning Lord posted:

I suggest you stop posting in this thread before someone buys you a red title. I'm not trying to be mean or saying :frogout: I'm saying that the purpose of this thread is for people to bitch at each other on the internet.

Oh look out! Some angry Internet nerd with Cheeto fingers is so mad at me they spent :10bux: of their allowance to give me a red title. Sure showed me! :v:

If you think melee characters are useless since they can't force monsters to attack them exclusively because you and your group are too dumb to figure out soft tanking tactics like having ranged players stand far enough back that the monster has to waste it's entire turn moving and eating AOOs or your combats are all taking place in featureless 50' by 50' rooms please go ahead. Clearly nothing I could say will convince you otherwise.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

DalaranJ posted:

I'm certain that the Basic pdf will be updated in sync with the book releases.

Ha ha, look at this idiot.

So, in news that only I care about, I have been waiting over a month for the basic rules to be updated to include content from the DMG.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

SwitchbladeKult posted:

Oh look out! Some angry Internet nerd with Cheeto fingers is so mad at me they spent :10bux: of their allowance to give me a red title. Sure showed me! :v:

If you think melee characters are useless since they can't force monsters to attack them exclusively because you and your group are too dumb to figure out soft tanking tactics like having ranged players stand far enough back that the monster has to waste it's entire turn moving and eating AOOs or your combats are all taking place in featureless 50' by 50' rooms please go ahead. Clearly nothing I could say will convince you otherwise.

I realized after the fact that it sounded like a threat, but it honestly wasn't me. I don't care about 5e enough either way. I warned you though! I knew it would happen. This thread takes the "FIGHTERS STAND THERE, WIZARDS DO EVERYTHING, TIME TO POST THAT 900 TIMES OVER AND OVER AGAIN" grind very, very seriously. Also, did you know that wizards have more support from the system than fighters? I bet you didn't know that.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

DalaranJ posted:

Ha ha, look at this idiot.

So, in news that only I care about, I have been waiting over a month for the basic rules to be updated to include content from the DMG.

Which content are you expecting? They did do like 1-2 small updates weeks before the release of Rise of Tiamat and the DMG to slightly modify the encounter building rules (to match what they were going to print) and include a couple of new items.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

SwitchbladeKult posted:

For about the eleventy millionth time, hard-tanking mind control techniques and tactical positioning and DM-may-I are :siren:NOT THE ONLY OPTIONS:siren:. 4e-style marking, the thing we're all dancing around talking about, IS NOT MMO AGGRO PULLING. It does not force monsters to DO ANYTHING exclusively. It applies a penalty to the marked monster's attacks, and the marking character may be able to do something if the monster tries to get away or attack something else.

It doesn't do ANYTHING to compel the monster's actions or remove its choices. It penalises some of those choices, but they're still available choices and indeed, in some cases, very good choices. If I'm playing a defender with twice the HP of the Wizard or Cleric, and 4 points more AC, and particularly if I'm dazed or stunned, have used my immediate action, my own attacks are heavily penalised, etc etc, the monster might well think it's worth its while trying to get away, maybe taking a hit, and whaling on someone less able to weather it, at a -2 penalty.

Please acknowledge that you understand this distinction. If not then it's really, really not worth anybody else engaging with you.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Marking is honestly what attacks of opportunity should have been, except properly distributed so defense-focused classes are better with the defense option than non-defense-focused classes. Doesn't seem lik erocket science to me.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

SwitchbladeKult posted:

No one in this thread has said or actually wants that, stop being willfully dense.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

Which content are you expecting? They did do like 1-2 small updates weeks before the release of Rise of Tiamat and the DMG to slightly modify the encounter building rules (to match what they were going to print) and include a couple of new items.

I was looking for an update to the exploration and downtime rules.

And who knows what else? The DMG probably has a lot of content I don't know anything about that they could put in the basic rules. You know, modules.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

SwitchbladeKult posted:

And what we've been trying to tell you is that if the Fighter doesn't have the ability to inflict Attacks of Opportunity in the first place, then there is no such thing as "soft tanking tactics"

I mean, what do you think AOOs are for in the first place?

DalaranJ posted:

I was looking for an update to the exploration and downtime rules.

And who knows what else? The DMG probably has a lot of content I don't know anything about that they could put in the basic rules. You know, modules.

Yeah they actually did write rules for those, but they're in the DMG.

gradenko_2000 fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Dec 31, 2014

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

SwitchbladeKult posted:

If you weren't aware, in 5e, pcs only have one AoO they can use between their turns so if the DM is playing smart, they'll send one enemy in to draw AoOs ands the rest get to rush past unscathed. If the wizard is far right that the enemy can't get to them in one turn (barring centaurs and the like who'll charge and gently caress up anything squishy they run into), them it's likely that they're also too far to actually get off spells against them. (I don't actually have the 5e rules and I don't care too look it up to check the ranges on Wizard spells)

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

let's get back to a more classic flamewar

Hexes vs squares: which are better?

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

Yeah they actually did write rules for those, but they're in the DMG.

In fact, the basic rules say,

basic rules posted:

Part 2 details the rules of how to play the game, beyond the basics described in this introduction. That part covers the kinds of die rolls you make to determine success or failure at the tasks your character attempts, and describes the three broad categories of activity in the game: exploration, interaction, and combat.

So, I think that it isn't unreasonable for me to feel that if there are specific rules about exploration then they should be added to the basic rules.

Daetrin
Mar 21, 2013

Tunicate posted:

Well clearly the answer is the Theatre of the Mind~

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Tunicate posted:

Hexes rule, despite the fact that I've never played a TTRPG that uses them.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

Tunicate posted:

Triangles for small, slanted squares for medium and hexes for large size classes. Mediums can share one triangle but not both with another unit. Larges musthave at least 3 free triangles in their hex.

For size classes beyond those bounds us a 6 dimensional lattice partially tracked by color, shape, and orientation. You have to be in an adjacent color band to strike a huge target with an up spin. If two tiny targets are entangled, then they share spacetime topology for the purposes of tanking.

ascendance
Feb 19, 2013

thespaceinvader posted:

I've played Battletech and Mechwarrior...

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

thespaceinvader posted:

Any game can use hexes if you have a hexmap!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

ascendance posted:

I've played Battletech and Mechwarrior...

then may I interest you in D&D Next's Facing Rules?!

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

gradenko_2000 posted:

Can characters overheat in Next as well?

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Lightning Lord posted:

The mental image from this is just the best.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Fighting goblins at noon with clear skies in the summer in full plate? Sorry by round 3 you're incapacitated.

ascendance
Feb 19, 2013

gradenko_2000 posted:

Nice that my fighter has to declare a torso twist in order to protect his flank with his shield...

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Lightning Lord posted:

My next Bard is going to get the vapors something fierce.

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine

ascendance posted:

Nice that my fighter has to declare a torso twist in order to protect his flank with his shield...

An LRM 10 +3 of Troll slaying at level 5?! What is this, Clan Monty Haul...

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

gradenko_2000 posted:

The facing rules are amazing because you can tell how little effort went into them. Every melee fight becomes two dudes constantly spinning around the other to backstab them, slowly and inevitably moving in one direction one square at a time.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
So you are telling me Mike Mearls plays Dark Souls?

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

ProfessorCirno posted:

The facing rules are amazing because you can tell how little effort went into them. Every melee fight becomes two dudes constantly spinning around the other to backstab them, slowly and inevitably moving in one direction one square at a time.

So basically, Dark Souls.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

ProfessorCirno posted:

That's legit what two total beginner (like 3-4 sessions training) smallsword combatants look like.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Is there a combat system where they actually managed to nail down tactical movement while engaged? I mean, I consider Warmachine/Hordes to be one of the best combat systems I've ever played on a tabletop, but even then you'll be moving inside someone's engangement range to strike at someone else to avoid triggering opportunity attacks.

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

Waador posted:

Or the grapple action, setting their movement speed to zero. As a fighter you are [probably] proficient in Athletics which means you are rather likely to succeed on that check. Doubly so since you also probably have a high strength score.

The fun part of a fighter being good at grapple is that a College of Valor Bard with the same strength at level 5 gets an extra 3 + 1d8 if they chose athletics as one of their expertise skills to get double proficiency, plus their inspiration die.

That singy guy is a full caster and is much better at grappling than a fighter without even casting a spell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Quixote
Jul 7, 2006

This post has been inspected and certified by the Dino-Sorcerer

Grimey Drawer

Victorkm posted:

The fun part of a fighter being good at grapple is that a College of Valor Bard with the same strength at level 5 gets an extra 3 + 1d8 if they chose athletics as one of their expertise skills to get double proficiency, plus their inspiration die.

That singy guy is a full caster and is much better at grappling than a fighter without even casting a spell.

The idea of a bard wearing those poofy little minstrel shorts & a big feathery hat while suplexing an orc is absolutely incredible.