Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Allarion posted:

I got to the final boss of P1, only to stop because my party was too underleveled to basically outlast it. Hell if I was gonna grind in that last segment though, since combat in that game was boring and tedious, and the way experience gets doled out made it more tedious.

I found there to be a massive tipping point where the last boss becomes so much more bearable once you hit a very specific level. It's the level where you can fuse the MC's ultimate persona, which has Hieroglyphin, a spell which does like a shitload of damage to the last boss and heavily expedites the process. Anything below that level and it just felt like slowly plinking away at the fucker, I doubtlessly missed P1's really obviously broken thing but I don't even understand how you're meant to beat the last boss without fusing the ultimate personas.

even with hieroglyphin the fight no joke still took me a full real life hour of repeating the same strategy endlessly but I was ecstatic when I finally won because it came down to the absolute wire, I'd used all of my revival items, all of my healing items worth a poo poo (You can buy the functional equivalent of Mediarahan as an item at that stage and I had like 60 of them going in) and like half the party was already dead. If I didn't win the game there I probably would've quit the game and never finished it.

SuccinctAndPunchy fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Dec 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!
I watched a video of Nocturne once. It looked really clunky and slow as gently caress. Cool grafix, dull combat

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Please do not troll.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!

Saagonsa posted:

Please do not troll.

they should make persona more like call of duty

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
"Press X to shoot YHVH"
I'd take that option.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

"Press F to pay respects to Lucifer (Chaos Path)"

I'd play it.

Iserlohn
Nov 3, 2011

Watch out!

Here comes the third tactic.
Lipstick Apathy
Are there any demons that have special requirements to fuse in Raidou 1. I know there's Legion and that one dude in the Training Hall.

Also, I think I'm on episode 6 or 7; the one where you first go to the radio tower. About how far am I into the game am I? The pacing has been really good the last few episodes.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
One of the first hint on how to break Persona 1: there is no limit to the number of times you can stack buffs/debuffs.

Excels posted:

Meguro actually tried to get a SMT FPS made.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Excels posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maken_X

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

MonsieurChoc posted:

Meguro actually tried to get a SMT FPS made.

Wouldnt that basically be Bioshock? Spells instead of plasmids, and you have demons instead of big daddies.

There's even a shallow alignment system!

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

The_Frag_Man posted:

Navigating the dungeons is tedious too.

Likewise it's also why I'm not really interested in the retro games. I just don't want to deal with high encounter rates + slow battles. No.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
*SMTProtag fired his gun!*
And then you spend 10 seconds reading a printout of how much damage it did to the 3 onscreen enemies and the 5 invisible ones not shown.
I actually did enjoy SMT1/2 and guns though. Even if it was slow and tedious as heck.

vkeios
May 7, 2007

Possibly the best megaten game; I'm hoping we get a sequel or spinoff someday.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Yes, we need more deadly skaters and sprinter iron maidens.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Mr. Fortitude posted:

"Press F to pay respects to Lucifer (Chaos Path)"

I'd play it.

"Chaos DLC not found, proceed to PlayStation Store?"

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Agean90 posted:

Wouldnt that basically be Bioshock? Spells instead of plasmids, and you have demons instead of big daddies.

There's even a shallow alignment system!

It'll be a sequel to Binary Domain where instead of robots you fight demons

Big Bo is my ultimate persona

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Manatee Cannon posted:

It'll be a sequel to Binary Domain where instead of robots you fight demons

Big Bo is my ultimate persona

Will you be assisted by a French Cowboy robot that's a brother to Aigis and Labrys?

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.

Light Gun Man posted:

Play it cuz you get Yukino in your party and she rules.

Awh ye I probably will, I wondered why she just disappeared after the beginning.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Just finished my play-through of Soul Hackers, it was very tedious but not as bad as Persona 1. I liked Nemissa and Hitomi a lot, but some stuff wasn't as fleshed out as it could be.. maybe it would make more sense if I ever play the first Devil Summoner game. Also, it's pretty funny how Paradigm X is.. one T intersection.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

The_Frag_Man posted:

maybe it would make more sense if I ever play the first Devil Summoner game.

I'm still miffed we'll probably never get that game. Everything I've read about it seems pretty cool. I'm sure playing it is less fun as it's A JRPG From The 90's, but man I wanna play as a Demon Detective with a pompadour and fight a priest whose Bible doubles as a COMP

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Moltrey posted:

I'm still miffed we'll probably never get that game.

I'm way more pissed that they didn't put out Persona 2 Eternal Punishment on the PSP.
Also, pissed that there isn't some kinda combined IS+EP for the Vita that has further enhancements.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

PoshAlligator posted:

Awh ye I probably will, I wondered why she just disappeared after the beginning.

Play Persona 2 after: she's a major character in Innocent Sin. Not so much in Eternal Punishment, but you've got Katsuya, Ulala and Baofu (as well as your choice of Nanjo THE NUMBER ONE or Eriko) instead, so it's still pretty fuckign great.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

The_Frag_Man posted:

I'm way more pissed that they didn't put out Persona 2 Eternal Punishment on the PSP.
Also, pissed that there isn't some kinda combined IS+EP for the Vita that has further enhancements.

This too! At least Eternal Punishment on PS1 isn't terrible. I'll probably rebuy Persona 2 duology and Persona 3 Portable on my Vita because I really don't wanna turn my PSP on again and portable RPGs own.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

The_Frag_Man posted:

Just finished my play-through of Soul Hackers, it was very tedious but not as bad as Persona 1. I liked Nemissa and Hitomi a lot, but some stuff wasn't as fleshed out as it could be.. maybe it would make more sense if I ever play the first Devil Summoner game. Also, it's pretty funny how Paradigm X is.. one T intersection.

The only thing DS1 would clarify is who Rei and Sukeroku are.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dt8dw74b7ew

Oh no...

E: I really hope this is them going back to their home planet situation.

Dehry fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Dec 29, 2014

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.

MonsieurChoc posted:

Play Persona 2 after: she's a major character in Innocent Sin. Not so much in Eternal Punishment, but you've got Katsuya, Ulala and Baofu (as well as your choice of Nanjo THE NUMBER ONE or Eriko) instead, so it's still pretty fuckign great.

Literally got them all lined up on the Vita after some pretty cool sales lately. Except the Persona 2 sequel of course. Guess I'll read an LP of that one.

Nanjo is super OP in my game at the moment. He has this Nuclear spell which nets him a ridiculous amount of xp from every fight.

Do all the Personas have easy modes because I think that is literally why this one is bearable to me.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

The_Frag_Man posted:

Even if that existed it probably wouldn't leave Japan.

Authorman
Mar 5, 2007

slamcat
Having played five hours of persona q I am now Officially Sick of Persona 4.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Authorman posted:

But you've bearly started.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
boy is persona q long

is dungeon 4 the actual last dungeon?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

hubris.height posted:

boy is persona q long

is dungeon 4 the actual last dungeon?

Nope! The last dungeon is pretty tame though. It's longer than the other dungeons but most of the floors are like 1/4th the size.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Also in spite of the game making a huge deal about the FOEs in the final dungeon they're probably a step back from the ones in the fourth labyrinth.

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro

Manatee Cannon posted:

Also in spite of the game making a huge deal about the FOEs in the final dungeon they're probably a step back from the ones in the fourth labyrinth.

the optional boss in the third dungeon that you come back to beat on the last floor is a loving joke

rakunda + dragon cry + frost link

on hard it took me like 10 turns or something

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I think that one's meant for grinding since you get like 95k experience from it per kill. The Reaper only gives a little bit more. What's more of a joke is Margaret.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
What about Zeus-Elizabeth?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

HGH posted:

What about Zeus-Elizabeth?

If it has attacks I never saw them.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Authorman posted:

Should've started as P3 hero on Risky for the true Shin Megami Tensei experience. It sure as hell made me appreciate them showing up to help on the first boss.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

ImpAtom posted:

If it has attacks I never saw them.

I had to sit around for several turns doing nothing useful in that fight, since it's scripted to cast Diarahan the first time you take its HP down low and it absolutely won't die until after it's done that, which it can't if it's currently afflicted with Panic or Magic Bind. Nothing I could do but wait for it to wear off, and I'd cast Stagnant Air before I'd realised that. Whoops.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

I hosed up my SMT IV game and can't get the neutral ending because I didn't realize I had to do a bunch of side quests and I missed a couple of them. Are any of the other endings better than the other? I'm thinking of going chaos because Walter is a lot cooler than the Brian May looking loser.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vkeios
May 7, 2007

None of the needed side quests for Neutral are missable; you can even do all of them at the end of the game. Did you wake up in the forest yet? Thats when you're locked into an ending.