Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple on pizzadog derangement syndrome

Last Chance posted:

does it need cloud service to activate

no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

doesn't need a sim either

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.
:smithcloud:

Dolomite
Jul 26, 2000
Cars & Legs

RIP, see u at tha crossroads

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Dolomite posted:

RIP, see u at tha crossroads

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

As a Millennial I posted:

i just think it's hosed up that my sim-less iphone 4 became a shiny brick when i factory reset it

you look it up online and people are like oh yeah, you just have to put a sim card in it to fix it

like that's a satisfactory answer

wait, what? factory resetting an iphone without a sim will brick it?

med school head
Apr 17, 2012

maniacdevnull posted:

yeah what

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

rotor posted:

iunno, I bought a pre3 a few months ago

lol

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

maniacdevnull posted:

never believe a post

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

theadder posted:

never believe a post

same but dont read them either

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

maniacdevnull posted:

until you activate it with a sim card, yes.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

a handheld computer with the power of a trillion moon landers and it's unusable because the word "phone" is stamped on it.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

As a Millennial I posted:

a handheld computer with the power of a trillion moon landers

what is that in football fields?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
People are still gonna ask $150 for a touchpad

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
more.

it's a collector's item now. it's ~vintage~

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

rotor posted:

people who use Palm. no one

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

maniacdevnull posted:

yep as anyone who tries to use their old iphone as an ipod finds out

have to have a SIM and connect to itunes to activate otherwise all you can do is emergency call

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

that's not what "brick" means but that's still bullshit

with webos you just dev mode that poo poo and ur good to go

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

a lot of the nice parts about webos are because the carriers didn't give a poo poo about them so they're easy to mess around with.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

well that and the fact that there was literally no chance of one being stolen so no need to lock down the activation to discourage theft

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

no I mean like there was an app to do free tethering like a week after the pre was released

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

rotor posted:

that's not what "brick" means but that's still bullshit

i know, but i think the original point was that if itunes ever gets discontinued then they will be effectively "bricked"

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

https://www.mynewpalm.com

http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/palm-brand-comeback-thanks-to-alcatel-onetouch

quote:

Remember Palm smartphones? They may return in 2015

Could the Palm name make another comeback in 2015? If a mysterious website which has popped up is anything to go by, there’s every chance it will; but which company is behind its revival this time? Signs point to it being Alcatel OneTouch, which may not be a name many will be familiar with, but the fast growing firm wants to change all that.

Visiting mynewpalm.com shows the familiar Palm circular logo with the words “coming soon,” and “smart move,” underneath. The site is registered to a company named Wide Progress Global Limited, which apparently purchased the right to use the Palm brand from Hewlett Packard recently. One of the names attached is Nicholas Zibell, who is also Alcatel OneTouch’s president of operations in America.

While Alcatel OneTouch has released a few smartphones internationally, it has never made a huge impact, and isn’t as well known outside of Asia as ZTE, Huawei, or even Xiaomi. Could Alcatel’s plans for the Palm brand be made clear in the Wide Progress Global company name? Palm’s certainly better known in the U.S., but it has had a rocky recent history, and hasn’t been associated with awesome hardware for some time.

Alcatel OneTouch hasn’t made anything official yet, and there’s every chance this could all turn out to be a coincidence. However, the use of the “smart move” tagline, which is also used by Alcatel OneTouch, does make the deal and a forthcoming brand resurrection even more plausible. Outside of this, there are no clues about what products the Palm name will be used on, or whether webOS will be involved. Alcatel OneTouch concentrates on Android-based smartphones and tablets.

CES 2015 presents the perfect opportunity for Alcatel to come clean regarding any plans, and an announcement at the show could gain it considerable attention. With just a few days to go before the Las Vegas event begins, we don’t have long to wait either.

Mr. Apollo fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Dec 31, 2014

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

they didn't buy anything but the name, did they

that's just depressing

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW

palmcatel

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

more like a fate worse than death

palm is going to be used a a zombie brand ala kodak, zenith, rca, etc. to sell these http://www.alcatelonetouch.com/usa/products/smartphones.html

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
i keep forgetting i have cloud to butt so this makes the thread even more interesting to read

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

remember palm? its back in pog form

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

infernal machines posted:

palm is going to be used a a zombie brand ala kodak, zenith, rca, etc. to sell these http://www.alcatelonetouch.com/usa/products/smartphones.html

no

no no no no no

not like this

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

rotor posted:

no

no no no no no

not like this

this is like when I found out Airwalk was going to become a Payless exclusive brand

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

ahahahahahahahahahaha

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

heeey! what up SWSP?

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

rotor posted:

no

no no no no no

not like this

the Palm brand getting slapped on android shitphones is gross and wrong :(

my recent abortive attempt at switching to android really showed me just how much Palm got right with webos right out of the box in 2009

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

heeey! what up SWSP?
just this, i guess. i saw the news and went looking for the thread, and this seemed like the only possible destination since i didn't see a dedicated one

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
you can start new threads...

pram
Jun 10, 2001

good

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
sorry rotor

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4

reported. get ready for your ban fucker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/sony-hack-behind-the-scenes-as-the-crisis-unfolded-2014-12-31

Sony execs reduced to using BlackBerrys after hack

• Locked thread