Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

meanieface posted:

This looks pretty decent for not-getting-paid: http://www.decentsecurity.com/#/holiday-tasks/

Looks like far too much effort for not getting paid to be honest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Oh dear, I just realised that because I have previous experience in support, my workplace is going to ask me to fill in whenever too many engineers are sick.

Went to jump away from helpdesk and ended up with one foot in each job. I get the benefits of both at least.

fromoutofnowhere
Mar 19, 2004

Enjoy it while you can.
So yesterday, a co-worker called in sick, for today, he updated his time sheet the hour he left. (two hours early). Now the other person covering the other side of the building called in sick this morning, leaving me as the sole help desk for today. Waiting for certain management to call in sick as well.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Lum posted:

Looks like far too much effort for not getting paid to be honest.

Think about it this way: you're getting paid in sex. How much sex would that be worth to you?

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
I am getting the full court press from everyone above me in the organization to engage a vendor about a vulnerability dated 2002 (guess if they're fixing it. go ahead, guess.) and this needs to be done today. So now I get to contact a bunch of people about a "critical" vulnerability and look like an idiot as though I don't know what day it is and how hard people plan to work today.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
More poo poo that pisses you off: I'm not in IT, but I know why you drink

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Today the boss announces that from now on our personal pay timesheets will be handled through Connectwise, meaning that each second we work needs to be billable towards a ticket when they constantly try having us work on non-billable projects.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

socialsecurity posted:

Today the boss announces that from now on our personal pay timesheets will be handled through Connectwise, meaning that each second we work needs to be billable towards a ticket when they constantly try having us work on non-billable projects.

You poor bastard.

Make sure there's a billable category for maintaining timesheets. Bill to it whenever possible. Let them see how much time is wasted on that.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

Scaramouche posted:

Thanks for the responses guys; the buildwindows thing looks especially promising but it might be too far into the future I'll have to see. EMC is a big name, but we don't really operate at a scale that requires that level of virtualisation/management.

RE: Vegas, definitely doesn't have to be. I'm out there probably twice a year for vendor trade shows as it is, and have been for the last 4 years. I have 'Vegas fatique' to put it kindly, where the things I notice most are how fake and mercenary everything is there.

Here's some other stuff I've been looking at to give you guys an idea of where I'm at. If any of you have been to any of these please feel free to chime in about your experiences:
http://www.mobileworldcongress.com/ (March, in Barcelona this year moohaha ok that's probably not going to happen)
http://mobilewebdevconference.com/ (Feb in San Fran, ehhh could be ok? Never heard of weave the people or circa)
http://vslive.com/Home.aspx (.NET Several dates, but will probably be desktop focussed)
http://devintersection.com/ (.NET ugggh sharepoint)

The security thing is interesting, but unfortunately would be mostly personally interesting, and not professionally interesting. I'm also scared of what I'd learn since right now it feels like there no actual such thing as security ;)

RE: Snowtires. They are important. I know the guy who brought it up probably won't want to read this, but if you've got snow for more than a month you should absolutely have them. All-seasons are a sick joke in comparison; I thought the whole switch em around thing was a big scam to bring in seasonal tire-installer bucks but then I consulted for a large tire retailer. The difference in elasticity in the tire, the tread depth, the tread pattern, all of it, makes a measurable and possibly live-saving difference.

Thanks Ants posted:

Does MS Ignite in May appeal at all?

Seconding the Ignite conference, http://ignite.microsoft.com. It is MS's new combined Office / SharePoint / Exchange / Lync / Yammer / MS Project conference. Chicago in May, any other goons going?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Apparently my whole group is planning on piling in a van and driving down to Chicago for Ignite(from Minneapolis). It'll be my first tech conference of any kind, really looking forward to it.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

FISHMANPET posted:

Apparently my whole group is planning on piling in a van and driving down to Chicago for Ignite(from Minneapolis). It'll be my first tech conference of any kind, really looking forward to it.

Does the van have "Free Wifi inside" sloppily spray painted on the side?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
There was discussion about putting something on the side of the van.

Pudgygiant
Apr 8, 2004

Garnet and black? More like gold and blue or whatever the fuck colors these are
10 minutes ago, copied verbatim from the chat window:

:anime: I can't get this voice card to initialize, it won't let me accept the eula
:) What happens when you do "license accept end user agreement"?
:anime: I'll get back to you on that
:) What do you mean? That's how you accept the eula
coworker is typing

coworker is typing

coworker is typing

coworker is typing
5 minutes later
:anime: 1 sec

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

So I just got an email that my department is going to be taking on more responsibilities in what we can troubleshoot. This requires a mandatory 4 hour training session. Which we have to schedule on one of our off days. I'm almost afraid to ask if we're supposed to clock in and get paid for said training session, but I don't think even they would be quite that awful.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Pudgygiant posted:

10 minutes ago, copied verbatim from the chat window:

:anime: I can't get this voice card to initialize, it won't let me accept the eula
:) What happens when you do "license accept end user agreement"?
:anime: I'll get back to you on that
:) What do you mean? That's how you accept the eula
coworker is typing

coworker is typing

coworker is typing

coworker is typing
5 minutes later
:anime: 1 sec

The USB "Dancing Houseplant" the HR girl had plugged into the computer just stopped working and he's troubleshooting that now.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Rhymenoserous posted:

The USB "Dancing Houseplant" the HR girl had plugged into the computer just stopped working and he's troubleshooting that now.

I think you mean The USB "infection vector"

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

socialsecurity posted:

What is to stop you from coding a single 8 hour block as troubleshooting

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

lampey posted:

Yeah here's a loving category: "I Showed Up To The Office At 8:30, Took A Half Hour Lunch, And Left At 5:00 So You Will Pay Me For 8 Hours Of Work"

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

lampey posted:

The lunch break.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

lampey posted:

Yeah this is what I'm going to do, it's insane like 80% of our customers are only monthly support contracts so tracking our hours for them is useful but not the end of the world, I straight up said if they want accurate times they can't tie me pay to it. I think he is doing this because they don't like the lack of performance from one of my coworkers so instead of addressing that they are loving everyone.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

socialsecurity posted:

instead of addressing that they are loving everyone.

Love it when that happens. We jumped from a "take sick time when you're sick" to "max 10 days of sick time per year" because apparently someone's manager couldn't figure out how to deal with someone abusing sick time. :iiam:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

FISHMANPET posted:

There was discussion about putting something on the side of the van.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

Why do PDF files allow the document creator to override the user's choice of page display and zoom setting?

I'm not using a 14" 640x480 monitor. I want documents zoomed to fit the whole page on the screen, and I like single page display rather than continuous scrolling because that way I can skip whole pages with a single flick of the scroll wheel. But no, apparently I can't appreciate the author's masterwork unless it's force-zoomed to 200% and set to scroll continuously.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from
I cleaned out our print server's spool directory and found a spool file 356MB large, dated back in September.

I can only assume it was either a PDF or a crystal reports document.

Probably knocked offline whatever printer they tried to print that to.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Does anyone have that image of the person who took a photo of the scanned document on their monitor and sent it to the helpdesk? Something here today made me think of that.

mewse
May 2, 2006

hihifellow posted:

I cleaned out our print server's spool directory and found a spool file 356MB large, dated back in September.

I can only assume it was either a PDF or a crystal reports document.

Probably knocked offline whatever printer they tried to print that to.

One time I found one of our clients had a document template with a little square logo on the letterhead, like 2"x2", I copied the logo into mspaint and it was like 4000x4000 pixels :stare:

When they sent it to the old photocopier to print, the photocopier literally died and stopped the queue for everybody.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

mewse posted:

One time I found one of our clients had a document template with a little square logo on the letterhead, like 2"x2", I copied the logo into mspaint and it was like 4000x4000 pixels :stare:

When they sent it to the old photocopier to print, the photocopier literally died and stopped the queue for everybody.

I usually have the opposite problem, where the logo is a 45x45 jpg copied off the company website, and looks like crap when printed.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
So my tiny company was involved in some weird merger-buyout-thing with another small company and it's been pretty shaky ever since - legal stuff, arguments, higher-ups getting "removed" from the company, that kind of thing. Literally the only reason I haven't peaced out from this company is that I've been here under a year and I don't yet have an IT position on my resume which I've been in for a year straight. My intent so far has been to stay here doing what I can until April or so (when it's been a year) and then :yotj: the gently caress out.

As part of the continuing merger, we just got hit with the news that the higher-ups want us to sign a one-year US-wide non-compete agreement. :cripes: It's still being hashed out but if they insist on this I'm pretty sure I'm done with this bullshit.

mewse
May 2, 2006

President Ark posted:

As part of the continuing merger, we just got hit with the news that the higher-ups want us to sign a one-year US-wide non-compete agreement. :cripes: It's still being hashed out but if they insist on this I'm pretty sure I'm done with this bullshit.

Isn't this invalid in many areas?

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

President Ark posted:

Is that them saying, "You can't do IT stuff for someone else for a year after you inevitably quit" or "You can't start a competing IT company for a year after you inevitably quit?" I'm not too familiar with that stuff, but the former is pretty damned lovely unless you have a second area of expertise.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Mogomra posted:

Is that them saying, "You can't do IT stuff for someone else for a year after you inevitably quit" or "You can't start a competing IT company for a year after you inevitably quit?" I'm not too familiar with that stuff, but the former is pretty damned lovely unless you have a second area of expertise.

I don't know, I've asked a couple people with more legal experience than me about it and I'm waiting to hear back about it.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

President Ark posted:

"Here, I added a clause that says that you have to pay me one-year's salary if you enforce this"

mewse posted:

Isn't this invalid in many areas?

Does it really matter? Any medium-large company can just crush you with the cost of litigation.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

"Here, I added a clause that says that you have to pay me one-year's salary if you enforce this"

"Sign the original or you're fired"

mewse
May 2, 2006

Does it really matter? Any medium-large company can just crush you with the cost of litigation.

Well, it does. If it's california you can wipe your rear end with a non-compete, they are legally unenforceable.

Seems to be a grey area everywhere else:

http://www.cio.com/article/2428815/careers-staffing/non-compete-agreements--know-your-rights.html

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Volmarias posted:

"Sign the original or you're fired"

This would be a clusterfuck, legally, in a lot of places. It would still suck to have happen a ton.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

mewse posted:

Well, it does. If it's california you can wipe your rear end with a non-compete, they are legally unenforceable.

Seems to be a grey area everywhere else:

http://www.cio.com/article/2428815/careers-staffing/non-compete-agreements--know-your-rights.html

You still generally have to deal with the cost of litigation, at least up-front.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

This would be a clusterfuck, legally, in a lot of places. It would still suck to have happen a ton.

OK, my mistake. You'll just be fired for "poor performance".

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Ask to review it, make changes, sign it. If they don't bother reading it, it's not your fault!

Volmarias posted:

OK, my mistake. You'll just be fired for "poor performance".

My favorite is "You're being fired for every reason that isn't covered by current federal and state employment laws. Yes, all of them. Pack your poo poo and get out.".

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

This is just exaggeration and needless worry. I would find it hard to believe that any company could realistically track where you go after you leave and even if they successfully did, could/would put in the resources to try to litigate an IT employee. Hell, the legal basis would be incredibly thin. The sky isn't falling people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

My mom's workplace (she works in higher education) recently tried that with an employee who had been working there for over 30 years because one of the new VPs wanted their own executive assistant. She went straight for a lawyer and sued for wrongful termination and ageism, and because there was no documentation to support their firing her for "poor performance," she was reinstated and given an undisclosed settlement.