Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

DangerZoneDelux posted:

It breaks my head to think that my Nexus 6 left China on 12/29 and was delivered this morning.

Anybody add a tempered glass to one yet? Not sure which one to order off amazon

http://slickdeals.net/f/7548698-xtremeguard-christmas-sale-screen-protectors-full-body-protectors-91-off-when-you-buy-3-free-shipping

I have these on my N5, N9, iPhone, and iPad and they are excellent. Even better at $6.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

For those of you that were holding out for it, the Diztronic case for the ballistic nylon Droid Turbo is out. Sadly, it's not available for Amazon Prime shipping (yet), so it'll run you an extra ~$3 plus a longer wait.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

It's probably best just to wait as by the time it ships and gets to you, it'll probably arrive at Amazon's warehouses.

Ochowie
Nov 9, 2007

Hey, thanks for this. I'll give it a try. That's an interesting solution that's an interesting way to implement that feature.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

bull3964 posted:

It's probably best just to wait as by the time it ships and gets to you, it'll probably arrive at Amazon's warehouses.

That's what I'd planned to do. I'm not in any rush for a case, but I'd like to have one laying around for the days I'm not either in the office or at home, so I'll just order one when it's eligible for Prime.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

EbolaIvory posted:

Yep. I still play it on my PC some but I play it waaaaay more now that my phone runs it.

Does it use a lot of data?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

This is exactly the kind of thing that keeps Apple users Apple users. I don't know if you're just unfamiliar with how well Continuity and Handoff work or if you actually believe AirDroid isn't a horrible hack in comparison but either way it's indicative of the lack of understanding Android users show when they claim to not get why iOS users claim Android is unfinished and unpolished.

zerocrash
Apr 14, 2009

DangerZoneDelux posted:

It breaks my head to think that my Nexus 6 left China on 12/29 and was delivered this morning.

Anybody add a tempered glass to one yet? Not sure which one to order off amazon

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00QN2X718/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This is the one I have and it is great. Their initial release had problems as I understand it but this revision is perfect as far as I can tell.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

LastInLine posted:

This is exactly the kind of thing that keeps Apple users Apple users. I don't know if you're just unfamiliar with how well Continuity and Handoff work or if you actually believe AirDroid isn't a horrible hack in comparison.

... or he was suggesting what he thought was the closest thing in Android land.

Eremys
Oct 20, 2004
indigi bought me this account cause I'm a schlub with no credit :(

Thermopyle posted:

I'm trying to decide between ditching iOS for a nexus 6 but I'm wondering if you guys know a way to replicate my experience using goodreader on iOS. Basically I edit and highlight PDFs on my iPad and then sync them to Dropbox where they are stored. Goodreader allows 2 way syncing all within the app but is there a way to sync PDFs on an android phone so that I can read edited PDFs after editing them on my iPad? I know there's dropsync but is there a good way of getting google play books or some other app to view a folder that's synced using dropsync that I don't need to export with or open with every time?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Eremys posted:

I'm trying to decide between ditching iOS for a nexus 6 but I'm wondering if you guys know a way to replicate my experience using goodreader on iOS. Basically I edit and highlight PDFs on my iPad and then sync them to Dropbox where they are stored. Goodreader allows 2 way syncing all within the app but is there a way to sync PDFs on an android phone so that I can read edited PDFs after editing them on my iPad? I know there's dropsync but is there a good way of getting google play books or some other app to view a folder that's synced using dropsync that I don't need to export with or open with every time?

Android can set defaults for opening different types of files, and you have access to the file system. I save science articles into Dropbox and Box on my PC. Then I use an app called Foldersync to automatically sync my Dropbox and Box PDF-filled folders onto my tablet. Then I just open them in Adobe Reader, either using a file manager or from within the Adobe Reader app. Comments, highlights, etc all show up, whether made on the tablet or PC (or phone). Most apps that open media will automatically scan your storage and show any media they can open, but without knowing exactly what you're trying to do, I can't say if it will work exactly how you want.

Eremys
Oct 20, 2004
indigi bought me this account cause I'm a schlub with no credit :(
I'm basically trying to do the same thing - I have articles and textbooks that when I'm home I often edit on my iPad but I would really like to be able to open them on my phone when I'm away from home. I like the interface of Google books but it seemed like using it required a cumbersome upload process. Into what folder in the file system do you usually save your PDFs?

Disregard - just saw that I can make my own folder. This helps. Still torn if I want to make the switch. I wish there wasn't such an app burden that would require me to drop as much $$ to get back the functionality I had with paid apps on iOS. I wish they hadn't confined the extended $50 Google play credit to Black Friday weekend.

Eremys fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Dec 31, 2014

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Eremys posted:

I'm basically trying to do the same thing - I have articles and textbooks that when I'm home I often edit on my iPad but I would really like to be able to open them on my phone when I'm away from home. I like the interface of Google books but it seemed like using it required a cumbersome upload process. Into what folder in the file system do you usually save your PDFs?

It doesn't matter, anywhere works. Foldersync lets you decide where. I think mine are in the Download folder, with separate folders for Dropbox and Box. Try Adobe Reader, I have found it to be the best PDF app. Google Play Books isn't the best at opening local media, I don't think. I do think Android will work for what you want in this case. I don't know how Goodreader organizes files, but it will probably be not as good on Android. Mine are basically roughly organized into subfolders, as I arrange/manage everything primarily on a PC, but they are easy to search by date or name or whatever, since you can use a file explorer/manager on Android. Whether that's good or bad is probably up to you, but functionally you should be able to do everything you want.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Thermopyle posted:

Even then it's very much not the same thing. It doesn't do anything that Continuity does at all. It does SMS at your desktop when you've got a webpage open on the same Wi-Fi network kind of.

To actually address the concerns of the person asking, it might be helpful to point out that Google's reliance on web services mean that everything is always in sync between devices all the time anyway (assuming you use Google services--it falls apart quickly when you don't use GMail or Drive).

As for SMS there are a few solutions, most far more convenient than AirDroid, but all requiring some adjustment from the Mac side of things to make it work.

A one line throw out of "use AirDroid" is neither informative nor particularly helpful given the question.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

LastInLine posted:

Even then it's very much not the same thing. It doesn't do anything that Continuity does at all. It does SMS at your desktop when you've got a webpage open on the same Wi-Fi network kind of.

To actually address the concerns of the person asking, it might be helpful to point out that Google's reliance on web services mean that everything is always in sync between devices all the time anyway (assuming you use Google services--it falls apart quickly when you don't use GMail or Drive).

As for SMS there are a few solutions, most far more convenient than AirDroid, but all requiring some adjustment from the Mac side of things to make it work.

A one line throw out of "use AirDroid" is neither informative nor particularly helpful given the question.

He didn't say "use Airdroid". He said "try out AirDroid", which is an important difference.

I mean, it's a bad post because it's one line without context, but that's a bad post anywhere and doesn't have anything to do with anything Apple users or Android users or gadgets or whatever.

Ochowie
Nov 9, 2007

Quick question. My N6 has frozen on the adaptive lock screen a few times. When it kind of comes back I get the message "Process System Isn't Responding. The last time this happened I wasn't able to use the keyboard without restarting the device.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014
I haven't tried it myself, but I believe there's a stand alone Mac/PC client for AirDroid now.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Question here: My friend somehow managed to put a PIN lock on her phone without actually knowing what the PIN is, and now she can't get into her phone at all. It's a Samsung Galaxy 4 running 4.4/Kitkat, and it's not rooted either. There's no option to enter in her google account password, nothing secret in the "Emergency Call" screen that will let her enter in a password either.

I'm currently trying to use the Android Device Manager, but it does not seem to want to cooperate. I can remotely lock the phone from the web interface and "reset" the password (the PIN screen is replaced by a text box and it displays a full keyboard) but entering the new password results in a "Wrong/Incorrect Password", even if it's one letter and virtually impossible to enter incorrectly. Is there any other way we can get into the phone or will it have to be wiped?

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

Any idea what might make my phone spontaneously reboot with the battery at 50%, only to have the battery show 20% once it's done rebooting?

Moto X 2014, all I was doing was streaming some music off of Google Play at the time.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Ochowie posted:

Quick question. My N6 has frozen on the adaptive lock screen a few times. When it kind of comes back I get the message "Process System Isn't Responding. The last time this happened I wasn't able to use the keyboard without restarting the device.

The answer to your question is "yes."

Ochowie
Nov 9, 2007

Reverse Centaur posted:

The answer to your question is "yes."

I guess I should have actually asked a question. Have people experienced this or do I have a bad device?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Ochowie posted:

I guess I should have actually asked a question. Have people experienced this or do I have a bad device?
I don't think it's the device. It sounds like it's a runaway app.

I've never seen it happen though.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Never heard of that, even on reddit where every problem is re-posted a million times and seems to usually be the result of rooting/fuckery but no one wants to admit that.

I just had a cool N6/Lollipop moment. Got a call from a number I didn't recognize via my watch, looked on my phone and it showed the name of my wife's employer with a photo of the interior as the background. I don't usually pick up weird numbers but did thanks to this feature.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Thermopyle posted:

Yeah, that. I've not used either service (my current phone is broken), so I was just trying to be helpful. :shrug:

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Managed to flash a 5.0.1 rom on my 2nd gen Moto G and it is worlds better already. No loving redraws and battery life is pretty stellar.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

I'm noticing that my Nexus 5 screen starts acting up sometimes while I charge the phone.

A lot of times the screen reacts really weird to touch. Is this a common thing?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Skeezy posted:

I'm noticing that my Nexus 5 screen starts acting up sometimes while I charge the phone.

A lot of times the screen reacts really weird to touch. Is this a common thing?

Screen wonkiness while charging is a common grounding issue. Some phones have it worse than others. Try a different cable or charger.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
Why would you use AirDroid instead of Pushbullet?

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="439616220"]
Does it use a lot of data?

No idea. Any time I have enough time to sit down and play I'm somewhere on WiFi.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Whizbang posted:

Why would you use AirDroid instead of Pushbullet?

I find the whole pushbullet/continuity/whatever gimmicky anyway so I honestly don't care.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008
Welp, Motorola released a 64GB Moto X Pure Edition for $599. Guess I'll have to RMA the 32GB I ordered a few days ago.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

I really thought the 2013 X would have gotten a 5.0 update in 2014. :'(

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

RZA Encryption posted:

I really thought the 2013 X would have gotten a 5.0 update in 2014. :'(

Honestly, I believe I'd lollipop hadn't been so much of a clusterfuck, it probably would have.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

Think I'm going to return my Nexus 6.

Partially, I've just been spoiled on cheaper, unsubsidized phones, and my monthly payment is absurd now. But that wouldn't even be an issue if I actually liked it.

It's too big for me - my Nexus 5 was pushing it, but I figured with the rounded edges I could manage. Not so much. The front facing speakers and high-resolution screen don't do anything for me. No other practical improvements in use for me over my N5. I'm getting ready to box it up and take it back, and I'm using my Galaxy Nexus in the meantime. As much as I can't stand quite a bit about this phone, it just feels so, so much better in hand. I am missing the poo poo out of Lollipop (or hell, even KitKat!) though.

What is my best bet for a cheaper, smaller Android phone? Moto x (2013)? Or is the G a reasonable choice? Will the Verizon Moto X (2013) work on T-Mobile? They seem to be quite a bit cheaper...

IuniusBrutus fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Jan 1, 2015

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

With 2013 Moto X's being as cheap as they are, there's not really a good reason to get a Moto G right now. A Verizon one will not work on T-Mobile. BUT, I have a barely used, unlocked Dev edition I'm going to be selling shortly.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

Endless Mike posted:

With 2013 Moto X's being as cheap as they are, there's not really a good reason to get a Moto G right now. A Verizon one will not work on T-Mobile. BUT, I have a barely used, unlocked Dev edition I'm going to be selling shortly.

Which ones work, then? Do I need a factory unlocked one? Will an ATT one that was unlocked get full LTE support from TMo?

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
I've got a deal on a brand new HTC One Max with a leather wallet case and 32gb SD card for $175...no cracks, no scuffs, no nothing. This will be replacing my aged Galaxy S2.

I'm pretty certain I want to go for it (when I saw the M7, my first thought was "ok, but bigger" - this is larger than I was thinking, but I don't mind 5.9'' at all, nor the thickness/weight). Before I do, can anyone tell me how horrible this phone is and why I'll want to throw it in the garbage?

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

IuniusBrutus posted:

Which ones work, then? Do I need a factory unlocked one? Will an ATT one that was unlocked get full LTE support from TMo?

You want an XT1053. That's the model number for Motomaker T-Mo ones and for the dev edition (since they're the same hardware).

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

Kreeblah posted:

You want an XT1053. That's the model number for Motomaker T-Mo ones and for the dev edition (since they're the same hardware).

So either of these would work?

http://www.amazon.com/Motorola-Moto-32GB-Developer-GSM/dp/B00HOKAKYU/ref=sr_1_2?s=wireless&ie=UTF8&qid=1420143818&sr=1-2&keywords=moto+x

http://www.amazon.com/Motorola-Moto...keywords=moto+x

The 3G/HSDPA 1700/1900/2100 bands are the ones Tmobile needs and I should check for, right? Otherwise the LTE bands are always going to be fine?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!

IuniusBrutus posted:

Think I'm going to return my Nexus 6.

Partially, I've just been spoiled on cheaper, unsubsidized phones, and my monthly payment is absurd now. But that wouldn't even be an issue if I actually liked it.

It's too big for me - my Nexus 5 was pushing it, but I figured with the rounded edges I could manage. Not so much. The front facing speakers and high-resolution screen don't do anything for me. No other practical improvements in use for me over my N5. I'm getting ready to box it up and take it back, and I'm using my Galaxy Nexus in the meantime. As much as I can't stand quite a bit about this phone, it just feels so, so much better in hand. I am missing the poo poo out of Lollipop (or hell, even KitKat!) though.

What is my best bet for a cheaper, smaller Android phone? Moto x (2013)? Or is the G a reasonable choice? Will the Verizon Moto X (2013) work on T-Mobile? They seem to be quite a bit cheaper...

Have you fondled a Z3 in a T-mobile store? The wife felt the Nexus was too big but the Z3 was alright.

Moto X is a much cheaper unlocked choice.