Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Jazama posted:

The magatama only works if the person feels guilty about lying. That is the best reason I can think of.

What about Matt Engarde? And Kristoph Gavin, for that matter.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Dec 31, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Wicked Wall
Aug 24, 2012

I guess the aphorism
"I think, therefore I am" brings little comfort in this case.
EDIT: Disregard this, read stuff wrong.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

What about Matt Engarde?

It's probably something like how it can only really detect a lie that the person is being directly confronted on that has them worried or off balance in some way. I kinda got the impression that if Phoenix really grilled a murderer really hard and confronted them he'd get more psyche locks, but he doesn't tend to start randomly accusing people before the trial. Psyche locks only ever seem to show up when the person is surprised, shocked, worried, anxious, off balance. You almost never see the completely smooth, composed types have psyche locks unless you get them off balance. Like, the magatama seems to reveal the same sort of lies that apollo's magical lie-detector that can detect little tics could find, like it's enhancing his subconscious sense of 'this person is lying', so they have to give it away in some way before he'll notice.

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

2-4 Matt Engarde had a split personality thing going on right? Like fresh breeze public image Matt didn't kill him but scum of the earth scarface chocolate milk drinking Matt did, and the psyche lock responded to the former.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Is it possible to buy Eshop games for someone else? I have a secret santa thing with some friends today and the person I'm buying for would probably really enjoy the trilogy.

Hopeford
Oct 15, 2010

Eh, why not?

TheKingofSprings posted:

Is it possible to buy Eshop games for someone else? I have a secret santa thing with some friends today and the person I'm buying for would probably really enjoy the trilogy.

I think you can, buy you have to buy a download code from the nintendo website, but I don't remember the exact steps for that.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

F. Lobot posted:

2-4 Matt Engarde had a split personality thing going on right? Like fresh breeze public image Matt didn't kill him but scum of the earth scarface chocolate milk drinking Matt did, and the psyche lock responded to the former.

It's less a split personality and more that Matt had carefully cultivated the image he presented to other people. Scarface Matt is his true self and Fresh Breeze Matt was a facade. I would probably guess that the only two people who might have had an inkling of Matt's true self were Celeste and Juan.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Dec 31, 2014

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

TheKingofSprings posted:

You can buy eShop download codes on the eShop website. I'm not sure if AA Trilogy's up for offer though.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

I would probably guess that the only two people who might have had an inkling of Matt's true self were Celeste and Juan.

And Adrian.

Also, I'm pretty sure that's bourbon, not chocolate milk.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I was thinking Adrian too, but I wasn't sure.

Also it's funnier to say it's chocolate milk because it promotes the image of this evil motherfucker being a baby about drinks.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

It also fits with the "grape juice that actually is grape juice instead of censored wine" gag that the series has.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Ah, right. That does make sense.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

F. Lobot posted:

Matt didn't kill Juan, so the Magatama didn't respond.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Yeah, Matt worded that response very carefully.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

3-2: I think Luke Atmey tricks the magatama by being genuinely delusional in a way that no other villain is.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The thing about the Magatama is that it's more of a polygraph than a magical thing that always knows the truth. It can be fooled.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

A thing I like is that we actually do see how strong Pearl's spiritual power is. Phoenix gets the magatama in 2017. He never needs to get it recharged until Dual Destinies. Ten years later.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama
I'm playing Investigations for the first time. I love ace attorney and I've completed every game in the main series multiple times, but this game is not doing it for me. It feels like fan fiction with the ridiculous setups and all the cameos/bit parts by recurring characters.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

imvestigations is Not Very Good

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Investigations Case 4 is actually really great

that said the rest of the game is merely alright

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Like say what you will about Zinc Lablanc or whoever if you didn't think Tyrell Badd was the coolest dude around then I don't know what to tell you

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
AAI had some of my favorite music.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Investigations is good.

Ace Attorney is good.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

Investigations is good.

Ace Attorney is good.

Is this the Layton deal all over again Waffleman

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Case 4 of Investigations was the only case that I really liked.

Though, I did like Shih-na's breakdown in Case 5.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Reminder that investigations 2 is probably the best game overall in the series

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

TheKingofSprings posted:

Is this the Layton deal all over again Waffleman

Ace Attorney is good.

Some Ace Attorney games are less good, but they are still good.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I finished The Stolen Turnabout again last night.

I think that might legitimately be my favorite case in the series. There's not a single character in that case that wasn't fantastic. :allears:

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
I remember watching the youtube translation thing and saying Investigations 2 was maybe the best game in the series and nobody believed me.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I've finished the trilogy on the 3DS. I want to replay the other games as well, and see how they compare, but unfortunately it seems I've lost my copy of Apollo Justice. Maybe it's trying to tell me something.

Anyway, the final verdict of the trilogy is, Detective Gumshoe is probably the greatest character.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

I hope Gumshoe and Ema are both in AA6.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

mabels big day posted:

I've finished the trilogy on the 3DS. I want to replay the other games as well, and see how they compare, but unfortunately it seems I've lost my copy of Apollo Justice. Maybe it's trying to tell me something.

Anyway, the final verdict of the trilogy is, Detective Gumshoe is probably the greatest character.

I haven't gotten around to playing AAI2 (fixing that right now) but it seems like he gets dumber every game. He was at his worst in AAI.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

There is a bit of, to use a TVTropes term, Flanderization with the characters.

I'd say it's most notable with Larry Butz and Wendy Oldbag. I was legitimately surprised when Oldbag admits that Jack Hammer did wrong and is willing to be straightforward with Phoenix and tell him everything in 1-3, because I never get the feeling she'd do something like that in any of her other appearances. And she doesn't.

Oldbag's still pretty great, though.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
I like Larry in the later games because he has been clearly driven insane by the fact that his best friends now completely hate him and want nothing to do with him

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

When something smells...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_mAnR48jSg

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Holy poo poo Frank Sahwit is a pun on 'saw it'

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW

A Steampunk Gent posted:

Now go back through the rest of the names in the series.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

So I just got to the Tender Lender and met Viola. Her last name is Cadaverini, she's a loan shark that speaks entirely in veiled threats, and there's some kind of "Viola intensifies" noise every time she starts speaking.

I think I just found the best character in this case. :allears:

A Steampunk Gent posted:

Not to be rude, but I'm not sure how you missed that. Phoenix makes a pun on his name when he starts to accuse him of murder and calls him "Mr. Did It".

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
Phoenix has run into so many people involved with some kind of crime organization that it's a wonder that he hasn't been hit by a car driven by someone with a link to the mob.

oh wait :haw:

^^ At first I thought Frank's last name was pronounced "suh-wit" or something. Durhh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

nftyw posted:

Phoenix has run into so many people involved with some kind of crime organization that it's a wonder that he hasn't been hit by a car driven by someone with a link to the mob.

oh wait :haw:

I really need to replay Apollo Justice.

• Locked thread