Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

I wasn't paying attention
to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
in a more interesting way?
Hell Gem

MrKatharsis posted:

I ate out today. It was delicious and also way under budget.
This is how it starts! The first time, it's delicious and under budget... it's all downhill from here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Gorman Thomas posted:

So uhh, has anyone had to cancel a credit card due to a fraudulent charge and then cancel the replacement card for a near identical fraudulent charge less than 24 hours later? I didn't even get the replacement card in the mail yet.

What the gently caress Chase?

Actually, not quite the same but I just had to deal with some recent fraud with Chase as well. I caught a charge from "Chef Shuttle" and when I called I told them it was fraud they apparently ran it as a dispute and didn't issue a new card. When it happened again (Chef Shuttle) I called and the guy told me it wasn't fraud ("Yeah the full account information was entered online so that's not fraud") and acted like I was lying to him or something. So I had to call back again and finally I got someone who apologized for the whole thing, credited my account and issued new cards.

The same thing might have happened to you because the old card should be completely unusable if they issued you a new card with a new number.

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Dec 20, 2014

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

MrKatharsis posted:

I ate out today. It was delicious and also way under budget.

Me too, for delicious tacos, and then went to a show and got a bunch of drinks. The girl I was with paid my $10 ticket for the show though.

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

Anyone else slightly worried about how this inevitability of richness being preached by long-term diversified holdings is ballooning the market?

I guess there's a fundamental difference between this and the housing market ("guaranteed returns!") in that most retirement account holders aren't using leverages funds to buy more than they can afford. If the stock market crashes it won't ruin The Real World or ruin conservative holdings.

Still, I worry about overinflated P/E ratios and median income:housing price statistics :ohdear:

I'm aware of how long-term investing really does mean long-term; I'm just considerably concerned about the present, is all.

DNK fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Dec 23, 2014

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
Yeah a bubble could pop and crash my IRA by 50%. It happened once to me six years ago. When it happens again I'll do the same thing I did last time: BUY BUY BUY GIMME THEM CHEAP STOCKS.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

MrKatharsis posted:

Yeah a bubble could pop and crash my IRA by 50%. It happened once to me six years ago. When it happens again I'll do the same thing I did last time: BUY BUY BUY GIMME THEM CHEAP STOCKS.

I almost wish it did pop some honestly, it sucks buying in at the high price right now. Just have to keep putting money in the 401k though.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

spwrozek posted:

I almost wish it did pop some honestly, it sucks buying in at the high price right now. Just have to keep putting money in the 401k though.

In times of plenty, the truck-heavy portfolio is my refuge :cool:

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

MrKatharsis posted:

Yeah, the least recession was actually pretty sweet for people that kept their jobs. Cheap homes, lower taxes, tax credits, cheap stocks, cheap gas, etc. I came out looking great and my wife and I were just starting out at the height of it.

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern
True, my plan is totally contingent on remaining employed. Maybe I should buy a truck or two just in case.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Just changed garbage/recycle services and am going to save $170.88 this year.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

spwrozek posted:

Just changed garbage/recycle services and am going to save $170.88 this year.
You have an OPTION for that?! I have ONE cable/internet provider and ONE trash provider. Yes, there are 3 telecoms that provide service to my zipcode, but not to my address. Same as the last 3 houses... Freaking racket!

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

I have 9 trash providers to choose from. The one I was with jacked up the rates starting next year so it was bye bye. $68 a quarter for trash and recycle.

E: only Comcast for the net though...

spwrozek fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Dec 24, 2014

Inverse Icarus
Dec 4, 2003

I run SyncRPG, and produce original, digital content for the Pathfinder RPG, designed from the ground up to be played online.

spwrozek posted:

I have 9 trash providers to choose from. The one I was with jacked up the rates starting next year so it was bye bye. $68 a quarter for trash and recycle.

I didn't even know this was a thing. Everywhere I lived, the city/town/county handled the garbage.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

spwrozek posted:

E: only Comcast for the net though...

We have a bunch of different trash haulers in my town as well. It's hell for anyone who lives in a dense neighborhood since large trash trucks roll down the alleys literally every early morning of the week. Maybe not Sundays I guess but still.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

spwrozek posted:

I have 9 trash providers to choose from.

This sounds like a libertarian utopia lol. Sounds like a huge mess but maybe prices will be lower for some? :shrug:

Anyway when I lived in the city we only had the city service and it wasn't that bad but now they're trying to implement a "pay as you throw" program where everyone will have to buy special city trashbags for all their garbage. At the new house the HOA covers my garbage pickup and they come twice a week.

Anyway Christmas was way too good this year. My wife got her money out of her home country so our IRAs will be funded early next year.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I found out a few days ago that I received a $16 000 bursary. It's strange because it doesn't really change anything for us. Maybe we could take a vacation? Haha, just kidding. It's tuition and living expenses for next year. :smith:

I don't know how this'll work with my income, since I'm supposed to pay back like 50% of what I earn if I receive outside income, but still!

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

This sounds like a libertarian utopia lol. Sounds like a huge mess but maybe prices will be lower for some? :shrug:

Denver and the burbs are pretty big. I have never even seen a garbage truck on our road.

spwrozek fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Dec 27, 2014

last laugh
Feb 11, 2004

NOOOTHING!

pig slut lisa posted:

We have a bunch of different trash haulers in my town as well. It's hell for anyone who lives in a dense neighborhood since large trash trucks roll down the alleys literally every early morning of the week. Maybe not Sundays I guess but still.

We Have Zones, and all the haulers have to service each zone on a given day. If I'm home on a Monday I see 3 or 4 trucks go by, but that's about the worst of it.

This is Minnesota, so definitely not a libertarian utopia.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

last laugh posted:

We Have Zones, and all the haulers have to service each zone on a given day. If I'm home on a Monday I see 3 or 4 trucks go by, but that's about the worst of it.

This is Minnesota, so definitely not a libertarian utopia.
We do have a couple providers in the PDX metro area, but more and more it's just becoming WasteManagement. I don't think we have had multiple providers per given area (zone?) in a few decades though.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

The Good:

I spent less than $120 on groceries this month, including some extravagance (homemade sushi, made some meals for the gf, enough meat to satisfy me).

I cut my fuel usage down to one tank this month, thanks to my shortened commute and a greater commitment to walking places.

The Bad:

I went from completely eschewing fast food last month to spending $30 on it this month. Mostly drunk munchies and general laziness. I'll have to start keeping more leftovers on hand so I don't do this as much.

I still haven't been able to plan well enough to use up all of my groceries before they go bad. Half an avocado, half a jar of pasta sauce, a tomato, 2 drumsticks, 4 tortillas, and a pound of potatoes were this month's casualties.

The Ugly:

I not only failed to reduce my spending on alcohol, it actually outpaced my spending on groceries. Some of it is attributable to the holidays, but a fair amount was lost to spending too much at bars. I'll have to stop going to the fancy Belgian place across the street.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Cross posting from the budget thread:

YNAB is on steam sale for $15 until 10pm PST today (1/31)

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Not a Children posted:

The Bad:
I still haven't been able to plan well enough to use up all of my groceries before they go bad. Half an avocado, half a jar of pasta sauce, a tomato, 2 drumsticks, 4 tortillas, and a pound of potatoes were this month's casualties.

Avocados can be kind of a pain, you can keep them in the fridge to put them in semi-stasis, and use the sealed paper bag trick to bring them to ripeness within 12-24 hours or so. My most common use for them is guac, I press down a piece of saran wrap on top to help keep it from oxidizing.

The tortillas I buy now usually keep for a long time just in the pantry, you can keep them in the freezer and easily thaw as needed though.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Avocados can be kind of a pain, you can keep them in the fridge to put them in semi-stasis, and use the sealed paper bag trick to bring them to ripeness within 12-24 hours or so. My most common use for them is guac, I press down a piece of saran wrap on top to help keep it from oxidizing.

The tortillas I buy now usually keep for a long time just in the pantry, you can keep them in the freezer and easily thaw as needed though.
Leave the pit in the avocados if you halve them. Same for guac. Seems to bring browning to 3+ days, when combined with plastic wrap and fridge.

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

I wasn't paying attention
to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
in a more interesting way?
Hell Gem
Also almost everything tastes great with some avocado, so just eat it. :colbert:

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
Makes a good snack, too.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

Juanito posted:

Also almost everything tastes great with some avocado, so just eat it. :colbert:
Truf!

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
My wife got pissed at me for covering half and avocado in foil and placing it in the fridge but then it lasted much longer than she expected and apologized. :hellyeah:

Avocados rarely end up in the fridge though and they're only like 60 cents at Aldi right now.

Sephiroth_IRA fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Dec 31, 2014

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
I don't like avocados.

We just bought a used stand mixer, though, after saving up for five months. Feels good to use a budget as intended.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

tuyop posted:

I don't like avocados.
:catstare:

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
My wife loves avocado but gets violent diarrhea if she eats them. Life is cruel.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Not a Children posted:

This is a big issue for me and I hate it, especially when I'm tossing something out and think "welp there's $3 right into the trash" :sigh: I spend more per item plus drive further to get to a store that carries smaller packaged items like milk in quart cartons, because it feels like less of a waste to use up the smaller amount vs getting a gallon of milk at the closer store and pouring out 2/3 of it because it went bad before I finished it. Anything that can be frozen gets frozen which helps, but I still end up with fresh veggies or something that I bought thinking "I will cook X and Y for dinner this week" and then never got around to it and forgot to freeze them before they got nasty.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Nocheez posted:

My wife loves avocado but gets violent diarrhea if she eats them. Life is cruel.

more for you.

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.
Unbeknownst to her, I switched my wife from Stoli to Smirnoff, which will save $600+ annually.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Easychair Bootson posted:

Unbeknownst to her, I switched my wife from Stoli to Smirnoff, which will save $600+ annually.

You haven't even begun to save money

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

pig slut lisa posted:

:barf:

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

pig slut lisa posted:

Real men only drink the finest Russian Baltimore vodka. $10 / handle is good with money, right?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

a friend of a friend was sexually assaulted at a popular restaurant in Omaha and got no help from employees or management, so asked for a statement from the owner. she sure got one! the owner posted this on facebook an hour ago, it already has 200 likes:

quote:

As the proprietor of the Dundee Cork and Bottle for 18 years, I take any report of criminal behavior at my business very seriously. In response to the many negative comments on Facebook and elsewhere regarding my management's response to a customer's complaint on New Year's Eve, please consider the following:

1. The customer has never contacted me personally to discuss her complaint.
2. After customer was assaulted as she alleges, she continued to drink, and eventually paid her tab with a tip. Upon leaving, she spoke with management and said she would report any problems directly to her in the future about any unhappy situations.
3. After the alleged assault occurred, the customer's boyfriend smoked a cigarette and bought a bag of chips, and stood there and ate them.
4. More than 20 of my customers physically present in the bar that night stated to me that no assault occurred, or at least they did not witness it. If you have been to the Dundee Cork and Bottle, a small wine bar, you would know that if an assault did occur, it's likely that many of the customers would witness it. My customers did report that an argument occurred between two people.
5. Most of the commenters posting negative reviews were not present and have NO first-hand knowledge of what occurred.
6. By contributing to fundraising events, I have supported the victims of sexual and physical abuse. I have been the victim of physical abuse.
7. An Omaha Police Officer was on duty in the Dundee business district at the time and was not contacted.
8. The customer has apparently made similar claims at other businesses. Of course these claims may be true, or it may be a pattern of complaints that were false. What I have is evidence based on what I have stated here.
9. I have received communications from people well acquainted with the customer, some of them her friends, who have told me that she has made similar claims at least six other times at other business.
10. One particular commenter is posting many libelous comments, in the name of women's rights, and others are perpetuating the falsehood in response. Remarkably, some of the comments mention rape, and that by not adequately responding to the alleged assault, the Dundee Cork and Bottle's owner somehow supports sexual assault. Also FALSE.
11. Not one person has identified the alleged perpetrator other then vague physical descriptions. If anyone is aware of his identity, please give the information to the customer and the Omaha Police Department for proper investigation.
12. Anyone posting positive comments about my business have been cyber-bullied in response. The person who first made public comments on the Internet about this - not the customer who claims she was assaulted - clearly has an agenda that has little to do with what actually occurred and appears to stem from her own personal issues.

I would surely apologize for the lack of proper response from my management when an apology I'd due. I don't have evidence of that. If you don't want to come to the Dundee Cork and Bottle because you don't feel safe, then don't.

I have customers from 18 years in business who know my stance, my history, and my personal integrity.

Thank you for listening.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Aliquid posted:

a friend of a friend was sexually assaulted at a popular restaurant in Omaha and got no help from employees or management, so asked for a statement from the owner. she sure got one! the owner posted this on facebook an hour ago, it already has 200 likes:

:stare: Don't eat out today...

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

pig slut lisa posted:

:stare: Don't eat out today...

This person is at least a victim of financial assault, just check out the loving prices at that place!

Regardless of what you think of the issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sklnd
Nov 26, 2007

NOT A TRACTOR

spwrozek posted:

Denver and the burbs are pretty big. I have never even seen a garbage truck on our road.

I'm in Westminster, and the big list of approved trash services blew my mind. My trash day is Monday, and I get to wake up to the sounds of a couple different trash trucks rumbling down the street.

Who did you go with? I didn't shop around much when I got my house last April.