Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Hixson, it's wonderful!

Take a look at that piece of cork on the front right underside though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I'm still trying to figure out what to do with my 2nd ed meganobz. They're just so tiny compared to even 3rd ed meganobz, let alone the new ones.

Just use them because they are awesome?

Stanyer89
Aug 4, 2012

In the market for two Stormravens, but really like the Forgeworld Fire Raptor and Storm Eagle models as far as their aircraft goes when it comes to looks. Would proxing a Fire Raptor/ Storm Eagle be to weird model dimension wise and would the Fire Raptor or Storm Eagle be closer to the actual Storm Raven equivalent?

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Making progress on my table - pieces are complete and I got a good deal on a 72" x 30" flip out table so I went with that. The whole thing is lightweight, breaks down nice and easy to set up. The Frontline mat arrived today but the front office is closed so I'll get that tomorrow. In the mean time I've been prepping more terrain to fill the board.

The craters still need to be snow-flocked (where the white is). On deck, I have one bombed out single story plaza like structure, and a two story medium sized bombed out building.

I've already completed a single-story medium building, two large hills, and two forests.

Boon fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Dec 31, 2014

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Stanyer89 posted:

In the market for two Stormravens, but really like the Forgeworld Fire Raptor and Storm Eagle models as far as their aircraft goes when it comes to looks. Would proxing a Fire Raptor/ Storm Eagle be to weird model dimension wise and would the Fire Raptor or Storm Eagle be closer to the actual Storm Raven equivalent?

Fire Raptor and Storm Eagle use a very similar chasis to the Storm Raven, and in fact share the same basic plastic kit. The only big difference is in length, where the Raptor/Eagle is rather longer than the Raven, and the back end is slightly larger as well. This guy shows off a side-by-side comparison between the Raptor and Raven.

If you enjoy doing conversions (and who doesn't?), you could probably extend the Stormraven's hull out with some plasticard and judicious use of bits.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

REAL MUSCLE MILK posted:

So, I'm working on my AdMech list.

HQ
Magos Prime + Arch-Magos + Djinn-skein + Myrmidax + phased plasma-fusil + phased plasma-fusil + Abeyant + corposant stave + cortex controller
265 points

Magos Dominus
65 points

Magos Dominus
65 points

Troops
Thallax Cohort + 3x Heavy Chainblades + photon thruster + Destructor
200 points

Thallax Cohort + 3x Heavy Chainblades + photon thruster + Destructor
200 points

Castellax + Enhanced targeting array + power blades
110 points

Castellax + Enhanced targeting array + power blades
110 points

Castellax + Enhanced targeting array + power blades + multi-melta
330 points

Designated Transports
Triaros Armored Conveyor + Blessed autosimulacra
140 points

Triaros Armored Conveyor + Blessed autosimulacra
140 points

Heavy Support
Thanatar + Enhanced targeting array
255 points

Thanatar + Enhanced targeting array
255 points

Krios Venator + Volkite Sentinel (2)
Krios Venator + Volkite Sentinel (2)
360 points

I'm kind of happy with my list where it is at 2.5k points, but I'm a little worried about the jump to 3k. At 3k is when I'll probably start seeing the 'big' super-heavies, and I'm not too sure how to deal with them. The Krios and the multi-melta squad are my primary AT, but I'm a little worried about armor saturation when I'm dealing with super-heavies and 'basic' armor at the same time. I haven't done the math yet, but I think I'll be able to fit in a Knight and another Krios at 3k, which could help, but I'm still not sure.

Drop the cortex controller from your Prime and give him a cyber familiar instead. He needs to fly around with the thallax and murder things with this AP2 and BS5, so give him a jet pack so he can join one of the thallax squads. I'd make it 6 strong so you can pack in an additional photon thruster. Drop the stave too. I'm also not sure you should be putting Thallax into the Triarios. They already move really fast AND have deep strike. Up to you though. Also consider taking a few servo skull dudes on the Magos to fly around and reduce cover saves + give your units interceptor and +1BS.

To deal with heavy armor you need to use angry tractors for their 4 shot S8 AP2 guns. They are AV14 up front so they are really survivable. 2 in a squadron will hurt super heavies. Your other option is to take a Knight, which is your lord of war choice and is very effective in melee.

Last, I am a huge fan of darkfire cannons on castellax. I would drop the power blades on the two independent ones and give them darkfires. As for the squad of 3, I'd consider keeping the mauler bolt canons, as they will allow you kill a lot of marines every turn and your list doesn't have a lot of quantity shooting anywhere.

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.
I'm pretty meh about the Darkfire. S6 isn't really that amazing, and while Gets Hot isn't likely to hurt you, against most vehicles it's not going to do much to them, either. I'd much rather have a BS5 Multimelta that reduces cover or even just a Mauler for the pinning and three shots.

Also Krios Venator's are loving murder to anything with an armor value. S9 Ordnance four shots will just destroy most anything you point them at.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

panascope posted:

Mine was fragile when I built it, and no joke, the first time I had it in public some fat idiot jams his stupid finger down the center part and breaks the turbine off. I have no idea why he did it and he refused to fix it. I hope he's homeless.

I should have been more specific - I was referring to the Tyranid Drop pod.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT

AbusePuppy posted:

I'm pretty meh about the Darkfire. S6 isn't really that amazing, and while Gets Hot isn't likely to hurt you, against most vehicles it's not going to do much to them, either. I'd much rather have a BS5 Multimelta that reduces cover or even just a Mauler for the pinning and three shots.

Also Krios Venator's are loving murder to anything with an armor value. S9 Ordnance four shots will just destroy most anything you point them at.

Darkfires are S7, basically ap2 autocannons with Lance, which can either be amazing or terrible depending on dice. I've had mine throw a lot of long range hurt down range while boosted from djinn skein.

REAL MUSCLE MILK: Are those all the models you have available? A good unit to put inside the Triaros are some destructors with either Irradiation engines or Grav Imploders, both will murder almost anything with a toughness value. Preferred Enemy AP3 fleshbane torrent flamers or 4 shot grav guns (the kind that wound against armor saves) shooting at BS5 with PE are death on slow, unhurried legs.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

xtothez posted:

You're lucky you have a tournament to motivate you. This is what you end up with if there aren't any events to push things along: :gbsmith:

Bet you're finished first!

Although to put things in perspective, I started renovating my entire Tyranid collection last Xmas in preparation for the new codex. Everything in this list list has either been re-based, tidied up or fully painted since then:

What was this application again?

drgnvale
Apr 30, 2004

A sword is not cutlery!

Ghost Hand posted:

I should have been more specific - I was referring to the Tyranid Drop pod.

The spore is, in general, a pleasure to assemble. I'm thinking of buying another one, but I'll probably wait until I've painted this one up to see if it's less fun than it looks (it looks like a lot of fun to paint).

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

adamantium|wang posted:

This is kanban, isn't it?

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

adamantium|wang posted:

https://kanbanflow.com/

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

Hencoe posted:

Darkfires are S7, basically ap2 autocannons with Lance, which can either be amazing or terrible depending on dice. I've had mine throw a lot of long range hurt down range while boosted from djinn skein.

Huh, I guess they are; I guess that does make them a lot more useful. I'll have to play around and see if that feels worth the change overall, though I tend to use my Thrallax for anti-tank shooting. S7 Rending and Relentless Multimeltas, all with Tank Hunter, are fairly badass.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

panascope posted:

This is kanban, isn't it?

Cheers.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I spent my holiday slamming ham with my chill ham bros. Took photos of the first game- a free for all between Panascope (Necrons), Stanyer69 (Dark Angels + Blood Angels + Rainbow Coalition), and myself (Iron Warriors + Admech). Panascope won handily while Stanyer and I tied for second. Lots of proxies, but some nice shots of the action with all our mostly painted toys.

I also worked on my evil admech robits. As much as I love them, however, they are a bitch to put together. In order to get a semi-dynamic pose you have to pin absolutely everything. The arms are really non intuitive as well and I was scratching my head on what exactly they were thinking modeling them this way. That said, I really am proud at how this guy is coming together. I'm going to have 3 including a paragon of metal (covered in oaths of moment):

...entirely magnetized of course. Gonna give him some sweet evil looking claws instead of chainsaw blades too:

AbusePuppy posted:

It's S7, lance, 48" range, AP2, shoots twice, and has blind. With a space wizard it can even shoot 4 times. I use them in my list as MC hunters, which Castellax want to do anyway. A gun that puts wounds on a Carnefex from a distance or shuts down the shooting of a riptide once or twice a game is drat handy. A really mean build I've been thinking about is pairing up a few darkellax with a monster/tank hunter archmagos. This will let them do very mean things to vehicles or MCs.

Agreed on the Venator. It's really good if you are playing pure Admech, but Thudd Guns are actually better + cheaper if you ally in a legion :v:

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER
I don't post my space barbies nearly as often as I should, but I decided to document my humble group of Relictors.

Here are all the tacticals, reminding me it's time to build a second sergeant.

Here are my Deathwatch (counts as Sternguard). I've tried to make everyone look distinct beyond having just a different colored shoulder pad. I hope it's apparent which chapter each one is from.

Here are my HQ dudes, a Librarian, a Chaplain and three Honour Guards. Being Relictors, I've added some Chaos bits to the Honour Guard. In addition to the obviously Chaotic banner, the power sword is from CSM Champion and the power axe is Black Templar axe chopped down to look more Chaotic.

Here are the tanks, the Razorback was an experiment in battle damage and the Predator was an experiment in weathering. These are like the third and fourth tanks I have ever painted so suggestions on how to improve are welcome.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?

Lord Hypnostache posted:

I don't post my space barbies nearly as often as I should, but I decided to document my humble group of Relictors.

Here are all the tacticals, reminding me it's time to build a second sergeant.

Here are my Deathwatch (counts as Sternguard). I've tried to make everyone look distinct beyond having just a different colored shoulder pad. I hope it's apparent which chapter each one is from.

Here are my HQ dudes, a Librarian, a Chaplain and three Honour Guards. Being Relictors, I've added some Chaos bits to the Honour Guard. In addition to the obviously Chaotic banner, the power sword is from CSM Champion and the power axe is Black Templar axe chopped down to look more Chaotic.

Here are the tanks, the Razorback was an experiment in battle damage and the Predator was an experiment in weathering. These are like the third and fourth tanks I have ever painted so suggestions on how to improve are welcome.

This is cool and all but death watch dudes wouldnt party with relictors

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.

These look great!

With the tanks, I found a simple but effective way to improve them is edge highlighting with a slightly lighter colour than the base - maybe Dawnstone for you? There are a lot of sharp, polygonal edges on a marine vehicle, and its very simple to give the model some depth with that technique.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

adamantium|wang posted:

Also this might help...

http://theindependentcharacters.com/blog/?p=3392

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

BULBASAUR posted:

Drop the cortex controller from your Prime and give him a cyber familiar instead. He needs to fly around with the thallax and murder things with this AP2 and BS5, so give him a jet pack so he can join one of the thallax squads. I'd make it 6 strong so you can pack in an additional photon thruster. Drop the stave too. I'm also not sure you should be putting Thallax into the Triarios. They already move really fast AND have deep strike. Up to you though. Also consider taking a few servo skull dudes on the Magos to fly around and reduce cover saves + give your units interceptor and +1BS.

To deal with heavy armor you need to use angry tractors for their 4 shot S8 AP2 guns. They are AV14 up front so they are really survivable. 2 in a squadron will hurt super heavies. Your other option is to take a Knight, which is your lord of war choice and is very effective in melee.

Last, I am a huge fan of darkfire cannons on castellax. I would drop the power blades on the two independent ones and give them darkfires. As for the squad of 3, I'd consider keeping the mauler bolt canons, as they will allow you kill a lot of marines every turn and your list doesn't have a lot of quantity shooting anywhere.

The cortex controller was from a version of this list that didn't have any other magos in it; good catch. I could probably squeeze in some servo skulls to roll with the Thallax squads and give BS on demand. I don't think the Triaros will actually transport the Thallax, but I find the Triaros to be an acceptable anti-infantry platform on it's own, so I'm paying to bring them anyway.

I may trade it around and take MM on the solo Castellax and bolters in the group, but I'm not absolutely sold on darkfires vs mm.

Hencoe posted:

REAL MUSCLE MILK: Are those all the models you have available? A good unit to put inside the Triaros are some destructors with either Irradiation engines or Grav Imploders, both will murder almost anything with a toughness value. Preferred Enemy AP3 fleshbane torrent flamers or 4 shot grav guns (the kind that wound against armor saves) shooting at BS5 with PE are death on slow, unhurried legs.

It's more or less what I have now. I can get whatever, honestly, I was just avoiding the Myrmidons for thematic reasons. I'll run them in a few games, they're a solid unit but I'm not convinced they're solid enough to hang around for long and might be too tempting a squishy target in a list that's otherwise pretty beefy.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
The frontline mat arrived today! It is indeed as nice as billed.The white is more blue (as is natural for snow) than that of the models, but it'll still blend nicely when the board is together.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Since Ork Posting seems to be the in thing currently, I took some new pics of the boyz. No overall shot cause it'd be a pain remembering where everything goes back in the cases! (and my table isn't big enough).

Wargamma Ork Aegis Defence Line Linked Barricades.

Battlewagons with swappable Deathrolla (to never be used again) and Weirdboy Tower. Plus a Gunwagon (needs a selection of big guns).

Big Meks with assorted gear. Lotsa Shokk Attack guns (I'm a fan of the old Shokk Attack Battery Apoc formation).

Biker Big Mek, my old counts as Wazdakka. Plus a bunch of bikers.

Big Squiggoth, likes to stomp things.

Zagstruk and his Stormboy buddies.

Flying Brigade - Burna Bomma & Dakkajet plus Deffkoptas. The former Kindly provided by fellow goon Lethemonster and is the best painted thing in the army.

Burna Boyz and their 2 Meks, Kommandos and their new buddy.

Dreads and Kans.

Mega and Meka Dreads. The latter has magnetic guns so it can switch out.

Grots, Snots (SAG ammo!) and Slavers, Lobbas and Crew.

Lootas, Tankbustas and Spanner Boys.

Nobs, Painboys and my fave squad, Boss Droog's Madboyz.

Shoota boyz, bringing the dakka. I need to get more of them painted!

Trukks, most often assigned to appropriately coloured boyz squads.

Assorted flavours of Slugga Boyz.

Warbosses, again I need more of these guys. Chariot is a Biker boss until I get around to making up some house rules.

Time for brain magic, it's the Weirdboyz.

And finally the big guys, Stompas ahoy! First one's my ancient scratchbuild and in major need of repairs.

Have an Orky New Year everyone!

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer
Jesus Christ those own.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Hixson posted:

Just finished painting the carnifex from the deathstorm box. After painting 99% eldar over the past several years, it was an absolute joy to work on.

Fantastic colour scheme. Awesome job!

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Boon posted:

Hixson, it's wonderful!

Take a look at that piece of cork on the front right underside though.

Thanks!

The unpainted parts on the base (tree bark) are actually underneath. You can't see them unless you get down and look. I'll probably go back and paint them black before I seal it.

TKIY posted:

Fantastic colour scheme. Awesome job!

Thanks man! I'm very happy with how it turned out

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

ProfessorCurly posted:

Here is some old school vs new school warhams. Apocalypse using the house rules (write each unit you have down on a card, which gets shuffled into a deck along with everyone else's units. The unit goes when its card is drawn), 4000pts each. My dad and I went expecting other people, but everyone else flaked so I suggested we do something different.

That's the best idea I've heard for moving an Apocalypse game along. Each side's turn goes on for so damned long you may as well leave to go make a sandwich. Normally, everyone should be present for dice rolls to prevent shady rerolls but in Apocalypse I just yell across the room, "Go ahead, just make the fiftieth dice roll without me!"

Reminds me a bit of the activation system from Rebellion.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
God drat there's a lot of amazing hobby posts on this page!

Devlan Mud posted:

I'm disappointed in you SRM, I expected berets, or at least vac-suit stormtroopers. YOU HAVE TURNED YOUR BACK ON YOUR HERITAGE.
Berets will happen when I do Space Marine counts-as allies, using scouts with beret heads for my Spetsnaz. If I get old school beret stormtroopers, they'll be in my retro Cadians!

Hixson posted:

Just finished painting the carnifex from the deathstorm box. After painting 99% eldar over the past several years, it was an absolute joy to work on.

bonus pic w/ his armless bros

Thanks SRM for the snow tips. I used your method but used baking soda instead of snow flock!
That's a good looking monster bug! The snow looks really good too. I've heard baking soda might yellow over time, which is why I just use snow flock, but I hope it doesn't since that'd spoil a really nice base.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

NTRabbit posted:

I bring you fire

and yes it's a real Forgeworld kit

I've always thought your use of fluorescent paint was nifty, but is there something preventing you from adding more coats of paint to get a more uniform glow? Painting so that the brush strokes aren't visible is a foundation technique.

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.

Where do you live and when can we play?

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?

Zark the Damned posted:

Since Ork Posting seems to be the in thing currently, I took some new pics of the boyz. No overall shot cause it'd be a pain remembering where everything goes back in the cases! (and my table isn't big enough).

8=D~~~~~~

Have an Orky New Year everyone!

Posting Ork pics is never trendy, it is style, it is timeless. Posting Ork pics is like wearing a grey suit with a light blue shirt.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
My next building... pre-snow flocked.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
Buy my poo poo, jerkfaces. (Fully painted Grey Knight army)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fully-Painted-Grey-Knight-Army-carrying-case-/251776153152

If a Goon buys this the following is included:

An avatar for Arnak, who won the Hitlermoustacheagon Challenge on LF.

Emot_darkeldar :emo:

BuffaloChicken
May 18, 2008
Lotta good hobby stuff in the thread lately! Here's some photos of a game with my brother Christmas Day, as per a Warseer post by him.

lil bro posted:

Got to play two fun games with BuffaloChicken last week and took some battle shots. This first game was a Tyranid Fast themed list (lots of winged stuff) vs a Catachan Veterans list with allied sniper detachment (counts as Eldar Pathfinders). Battle turned out to be a draw.

Treehouse terrain is looking great, and was lots of fun to use:

The flock approaches!

Malanthrope (unfinished at the time) passes by a spore pod

Irongut Jameson takes on a Trygon

Take a look at the other photos here.
Here's some others. Whole table:

Catachan Snipers (allied Eldar Pathfinders with Illic Nightspear):

Flying jungle bugs, with the fat Parasite of Mortrex in the back:

Good battlefield shot:

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
That's awesome, man! Love the Jungle terrain you've got.

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.
Since we're doing the whole "army shots" thing, here's what I'm taking to an Apoc game this weekend:

The 59th Armageddon, Beta Company!

Major Zdarsky's Command squad, 3rd Sentinel Squad, Shadowsword Steel Spectre.

1st platoon, MBT, Vanquisher, Vendetta, Quad-Gun and shields.

2nd platoon, MBT, Demolisher, Vendetta, Adeptus Trashcanicus comms relay, shields.

Comes in at 3120 points (everyone's supposed to have 3000, but not everyone can cover so I "borrowed" and extra 120).

EDIT - Gosh darn it, BuffChick. Will you and your brother please get jobs in DC or something so we can ham it up?

The Sex Cannon fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Dec 31, 2014

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
Those Orks and Guard absolutely OWN. drat!

If we're doing army shots, I'm reposting these shots...

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
This is the best warhams page

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.
Have a cross post of a few pics of my first Wolf Guard Battle Leader. (:ssh: he is a world eater)

*sorry the contrast is so steep. The phone pic was more orange than I like and auto-level is just to easy not to use*

I got about 8 more to go for that list I posted a while ago.

Oh, and my Khan(left) and 20 of his buddies (right) to be painted nightlords:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007
:D
How hard was it to convert the Chaos Knights/Skullcrushers with CSM riders, WhiteOutMouse?

• Locked thread