Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Third World Reggin posted:

Have said items in your cargo and then move to about 500 m or closer to the ship. They auto take it and give you money.

Just scan them to see what they are buying.

By "scan" you mean I have to have a cargo scanner, or just the regular sensor scan?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Cargo scanner. I mean you can use your planetary scanner if you want but the type 9 probably isn't that big.

Once you see what is in their cargo you should know what they buy, according to reddit at least.

PapFinn
Jul 15, 2003

I am Ron Pearlman's illigitimate love child.
Hey there buddy. Thanks for bugging out as soon as I saw you. I couldn't have fought the urge to fight you and I probably would have lost.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Wallrod posted:

I found Dale Earnhardt.

He rammed me to 10% hull when i tried to shoot his engines. I guess he learned a few things.

Should've made him turn right

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Ovimbiabas is another war zone I just found out about.

Ultraviper
Jul 26, 2007

I won the 100th Concurrent WOL Jabber Award and All I Got Was This Lousy Title!
Galnet has news from a month in the future. No wonder they became so popular around the galaxy.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
How often do rare stations replenish their goods? If it says '0 HIGH' instead of not saying anything, I haven't hit the cap for that particular rare, right?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

KakerMix posted:

I'd expect them to never get a specific ship. The Alliance isn't like the Federation or Empire, they are a bunch of Independent systems that all fly the same banner. You can find slave-allowing dictatorships next to freedom loving democracies that ban liquor. It wouldn't make sense for them to get a specific ship when they aren't even the same law wise.

They have a unified fleet command, though. There's at least some sort of organization holding everything together. It's essentially the difference between the United States of America and the European Union (if the EU had a working unified military).

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
Here's a fun game:

Find an npc miner that's REAL close to the asteroid he's mining. Lock on and use a KWscanner. Laugh as he freaks out and boosts away. Right into the asteroid. :v:

Captain Diarrhoea
Apr 16, 2011
Pfft I suck at fighting anything like Clippers/Dropships/Anacondas, you can only get so far with strafing bound separately on the keyboard I think.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Got tired of a Harmless Sidewinder trying to interdict me, so I let him.

He turns into a Master Viper.

Seriously, WTF?

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I've been to the arse end of space for three days in my Adder, and now I am back.
I am different, I feel different.
I have a Cobra and upgrades.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
Sometimes I'm fully centered on a landing pad with permission to dock, but it won't latch me onto the pad and pull me down. I just bounce off and scratch my paint. What am I doing wrong?

Edit: Oh man, I just got a loitering infraction.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

GreenMarine posted:

Sometimes I'm fully centered on a landing pad with permission to dock, but it won't latch me onto the pad and pull me down. I just bounce off and scratch my paint. What am I doing wrong?

Did you use the magic word when you requested docking permission?

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Ernie Muppari posted:

Did you use the magic word when you requested docking permission?

This works, I usually shout gently caress NO gently caress

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

GreenMarine posted:

The tutorial doesn't mention this IIRC, bit you have to be lined up and be facing "away" on the little landing guide, so if you're bouncing then make sure you can see your ship's butt in the guide.

Bear in the Woods
Jun 1, 2013

GreenMarine posted:

Was your landing gear out? Ive forgotten that a couple times.

Edit: Welp, guess I was wrong.

Bear in the Woods fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Dec 31, 2014

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo

Shine posted:

The tutorial doesn't mention this IIRC, bit you have to be lined up and be facing "away" on the little landing guide, so if you're bouncing then make sure you can see your ship's butt in the guide.

Thanks! That was it. I wasn't aligned properly in the gantry.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Kenshin posted:

The Viper really shines when you get a bunch of rank A equipment on it. A thrusters, A power distributor, A shields, the thing is a beast.

I've been running mine with two size 1 gimbaled beam lasers (to kill shields, and for constant pressure with damage) and two size 2 cannons. Open up with a big alpha strike on an unsuspecting Cobra mk III from <500m and you'll have him at under 50% hull before he can even get up to speed to attempt to start dodging.

Yeah, it's running off the same Thrusters and FSD as the Eagle despite being substantially heavier, so it's going to take better gear to keep up in performance. Given that A-Grade equipment exists and making a 2 mil Eagle is probably overkill, though, it's not unreasonable to equip it to a higher degree.

The only issue I'm having with equipping the Viper is that, since it's already quite stressed for mass, B grade equipment is a somewhat unattractive option and making the jump from straight from 50k C gear to 500k A gear is a pretty big pill when it's Baby's First Real Ship.

Two Class 2 "get hosed Cobras" mounts is still totally worth it, though.

Kevlar Beard
Feb 20, 2010

Hmmm, should I go for a Viper first before jumping into a Cobra?

I have a cool 1.1 million right now, but I'm getting a little bored of trading now.. I was saving up to get a Cobra and at least an A FSD, but I'd probably need to save up like at least 3.5 million to fit my cobra well.

How much is a fully A fit viper?

Ultraviper
Jul 26, 2007

:quagmire:

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Zhen Dock in Xihe had 10 biomorphic companions. Too bad I can only carry 4

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Kevlar Beard posted:

I have a cool 1.1 million right now, but I'm getting a little bored of trading now.. I was saving up to get a Cobra and at least an A FSD, but I'd probably need to save up like at least 3.5 million to fit my cobra well.

Every a class component is about a half million except power distributor which is like 50k

Arsonide
Oct 18, 2007

You're breaking my balls here

Shine posted:

I thought this at first too, but there have been multiple times I've landed facing away from the control tower as well. I don't get it. I thought initially it doesn't work because most of the time it doesn't, but I've actually had the drat landing pad rotate underneath me to align with ME when I went in backwards more than once. Like I said it doesn't always work, so most of the time I go in right, but this has definitely happened. I'm not sure what the rules are to be frank. Maybe it has to do with the type of station.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Kevlar Beard posted:

I think I traded mine in for a cool 2.low something million, so I'd say 2-3mil. So I'd say 2-2.5mil, depending on if you want C2 Fixed Beam Lasers (300k each).

[edit] "So I'd say" twice? Don't type half a response, alt-tab for a bit, and come back to it without rereading kids!

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Dec 31, 2014

Kevlar Beard
Feb 20, 2010

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I think I traded mine in for a cool 2.low something million, so I'd say 2-3mil. So I'd say 2-2.5mil, depending on if you want C2 Fixed Beam Lasers (300k each).

Alright, I'll spend a few more hours trading and then make my journey to goon-mecca.

What's the best ship a Viper can handle? Strictly NPC pirates, players are a whole other ball game.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Kevlar Beard posted:

Alright, I'll spend a few more hours trading and then make my journey to goon-mecca.

What's the best ship a Viper can handle? Strictly NPC pirates, players are a whole other ball game.

Properly equipped and with decent skills, you can actually kill Anacondas fairly easily in a Viper. You technically don't NEED shield cells or chaff to do it, either, but they do make things a hell of a lot more straightforward. It revolves around using the Viper's raw speed to just reset the fight anytime it's not on your terms, and then you just wear down the Anaconda's shields and park yourself behind its engines in its blind spot and blast the Power Plant or FSD until it goes boom.

I just really, really like that you can take an accessible ship like the Viper, kit it out with a few million in equipment, and then go pop some Anacondas if you play it right. That's how you know that money isn't the end-all in this game. A Viper that costs one or two million taking out an Anaconda that costs many, many times more than that (after the hull cost, component upgrades, weapons, etc.) is... great.

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

All makt åt Tengil, vår befriare.

Kevlar Beard posted:

I started playing this a couple of days ago and just defeated an Elite Anaconda from one of those assassination missions in my mostly C fit Viper. I had two engagements with it, the first one I felt that I had to bug out from because my one Chaff Launcher didn't help nearly as much as I thought it would. The Viper feels really durable, I lost my shield a few times and slowly dropped to 60% hull before I decided to make my retreat. I zoomed off to a nearby station and replaced my K-Warrant Scanner with an additional Chaff Launcher and headed back, this time I was much more successful. It took quite a while to whittle down it's shields with my two C1 Beam Lasers but it's hull melted swiftly to my double C2 Multi-Cannons.

DopeGhoti
May 24, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

I almost made this exact post after I made my pilgrimage. Did you come from the Ross 210 region? I miss Gooch Terminal, even though it stopped being an every-upgrade-haver once I got a Cobra. :v:

Ultraviper
Jul 26, 2007

DopeGhoti posted:

I almost made this exact post after I made my pilgrimage. Did you come from the Ross 210 region? I miss Gooch Terminal, even though it stopped being an every-upgrade-haver once I got a Cobra. :v:

Nope I just passed it while bringing some rare goods to Coquim.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

Only took a hundred jumps, but I made it!

Is it possible to transfer parts between ships? I have a bunch of class D stuff on my starter Sidewinder (except still using the stock guns :gonk:) and I'm going to buy either an Eagle or a Viper, and I was wondering if I can use the same stuff. I see the option to buy a new ship and "store" the old one but it's not clear if that lets me swap parts around.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Shine posted:

Is it possible to transfer parts between ships? I have a bunch of class D stuff on my starter Sidewinder (except still using the stock guns :gonk:) and I'm going to buy either an Eagle or a Viper, and I was wondering if I can use the same stuff. I see the option to buy a new ship and "store" the old one but it's not clear if that lets me swap parts around.
Yeah, just sell the equipment at the station you're about to buy your new ship at, the equipment will show up as an option when you start outfitting the new ship.

That said you probably don't need to do this at all if you go next door to Atlantis, Kimura Terminal. They've got everything for small ships.

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

im judjing all goons cause they have bad leader, so a noral member is associated whith thoose crasy one

Personaly i would quit the goons if i was in cause of thoose crasy ppl
Clapping Larry

Shine posted:

One of the few user-friendly things this game does is let you experiment with expensive equipment. As long as you don't get blown up...

Anything sold in outfitting gets full price back. Anything you can't sell (coz it's required), but have upgraded, you can reset to the 'E' grade it started as, and get the cash back.

If you're upgrading ship (and not just equipment), it's a good idea to sell/downgrade everything in outfitting first, you save 10% overall I think.

If you want to re-use something you had on old ship, but sold before buying new one, it willl appear at the top of the list as a 'buy back' option - that one confused me for a while!

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
Finally got my Viper below Optimal Thruster Mass, handles a lot better now but due to jump range and limited power requirements, it feels quite restrictive vs my Eagle.

Awesome firepower though. 2x c1 burst laser with 2x c2 multi cannons are loving amazing.

The Cobra has the same firepower as the Viper right? If you're not interested in cargo space, is there any reason to get a Cobra over a Viper?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Cobra isn't as maneuverable and the positioning of the C1 hard points isn't fantastic.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

xiansi posted:

One of the few user-friendly things this game does is let you experiment with expensive equipment. As long as you don't get blown up...

Anything sold in outfitting gets full price back. Anything you can't sell (coz it's required), but have upgraded, you can reset to the 'E' grade it started as, and get the cash back.

If you're upgrading ship (and not just equipment), it's a good idea to sell/downgrade everything in outfitting first, you save 10% overall I think.

If you want to re-use something you had on old ship, but sold before buying new one, it willl appear at the top of the list as a 'buy back' option - that one confused me for a while!

That's good. I like when games encourage trying things with systems like that. I just bought my first cannon and melted an Eagle in like 2 seconds :stare:.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Ak Gara posted:

The Cobra has the same firepower as the Viper right? If you're not interested in cargo space, is there any reason to get a Cobra over a Viper?

Same armament (2x C1, 2x C2), less maneuverable, more cargo space, better hull strength, lower shield strength, less boost speed, better cruise speed, much better jump range when upgraded. The Cobra is generally a much more versatile craft, it can do whatever you throw it at acceptably. Combat, trading, etc., with the right kit can be done well enough to get by. The Viper is more specialized. It's built around combat. It's a scrapper. It's not nearly as flexible as a Cobra or an Asp, but it's not meant to be. It's there to pick a fight and win it.

Furiously
Jan 4, 2014

...and Furiously as The Beagle.
Station rotation and docking port tip. Make a fist with your right hand in the same orientation as the station with your finger tips being the direction of rotation. The docking port is your thumb. Pretty cool how the game models physics correctly sometimes. http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Right-hand_rule

Also thanks to whomever posted the 7 second rule for friendship driving. It's made me a lot less angry.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Furiously posted:

Station rotation and docking port tip. Make a fist with your right hand in the same orientation as the station with your finger tips being the direction of rotation. The docking port is your thumb. Pretty cool how the game models physics correctly sometimes. http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Right-hand_rule

Also thanks to whomever posted the 7 second rule for friendship driving. It's made me a lot less angry.

This was a good rule but casuals complained and now the station hologram has arrows on it :rolleye:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
My favorite thing is when I'm shooting a Cobra mk III and it's about to die and the cargo hatch breaks, with Biowaste falling out. He poo poo himself. :v:

• Locked thread