Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Groetgaffel posted:

After all, it took Abnett years before he felt he could write Space Marines.

A sentiment I wish BL as a whole had to be honest. Just to put a damper on them doing pretty much nothing but Space Marines stories and to get them doing else with regular intervals instead of just occasionally as it feels right now.

Also wish they'd just get their heads out of their asses and release some compendiums for various short stories again such all the Ciaphas Cain and Gaunt's Ghost stuff that I'll probably never read because it's all separate digital purchases which is just a bother to deal with instead of one package.
Loved to get them in printed form too but that's just wishful thinking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Waroduce posted:

It was awesome read it ASAP

Seconded, or in this case thirded. It's good and the sequel is better.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Question about the Horus Heresy, specifically about Fulgrim: Is there anything that explicitly details how exactly Fulgrim was able to gain back control of his body after losing it to the demon that took control of him through the Laeran Blade? Like, what the poo poo happened between Istvaan and the Prismatica System? It feels like I'm missing something.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

AndyElusive posted:

Question about the Horus Heresy, specifically about Fulgrim: Is there anything that explicitly details how exactly Fulgrim was able to gain back control of his body after losing it to the demon that took control of him through the Laeran Blade? Like, what the poo poo happened between Istvaan and the Prismatica System? It feels like I'm missing something.

I think it had something to do with his butt

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Improbable Lobster posted:

:heysexy: Go on...

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

oh I see you thought he was joking.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

Cooked Auto posted:

Also wish they'd just get their heads out of their asses and release some compendiums for various short stories again such all the Ciaphas Cain and Gaunt's Ghost stuff that I'll probably never read because it's all separate digital purchases which is just a bother to deal with instead of one package.
Loved to get them in printed form too but that's just wishful thinking.
Well, there's the Sabbat Worlds book that is just a collection of short stories. Three by Abnett, and one each by McNeill, Matthew Farrer, ADB, Nik Vincent, Nick Kyme, and Sandy Mitchell.

AndyElusive posted:

It's implied that the Daemon weren't powerful enough to hold Fulgrim prisoner in his own body, what with Primarchs having a fair bit of warpcraft involved in their creation. There's a short story set at that time in The Primarchs.
And yes, it involves his butt. :v:

Groetgaffel fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Jan 1, 2015

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Groetgaffel posted:

Well, there's the Sabbat Worlds book that is just a collection of short stories. Three by Abnett, and one each by McNeill, Matthew Farrer, ADB, Nik Vincent, Nick Kyme, and Sandy Mitchell.

I am kinda hoping that BL will be sensible and release the collectors ed sabbat book as a normal book sooner or later as I've already got the first anthology.

Edit: Of course they only bother re-releasing it as an ebook. :sigh: Apparently people weren't suckered in enough to buy all of the "exclusive" first editions either. But like hell I'm still gonna spend 70 euros on a book.

Cooked Auto fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Jan 1, 2015

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Improbable Lobster posted:

No, the butt part is him explaining how the daemon was too weak to keep its hold on Fulgrim. There really isn't a good explanation as to why Fulgrim was able to cast it out and why the other Primarchs weren't.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

berzerkmonkey posted:

No, the butt part is him explaining how the daemon was too weak to keep its hold on Fulgrim. There really isn't a good explanation as to why Fulgrim was able to cast it out and why the other Primarchs weren't.

Assuming Fulgrim/daemon was telling the truth, at any rate. None of the other primarchs, as far as I know, were directly possessed. The ones who didn't die became daemon princes, but only Fulgrim seems to have been possessed prior to his transformation.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
And honestly, Fulgrim being possessed was a fairly interesting end to that book that is completely ruined by him suddenly being back in control and just an rear end in a top hat later. It even has the added bonus of Horus seeing that his brother is now being possessed by some strange warp xeno and having his first inklings of doubt about what is happening around him. However, that would have required the authors to actually write books that followed Horus around during the heresy instead of removing him completely from the books after number 3.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Anonymous Zebra posted:

And honestly, Fulgrim being possessed was a fairly interesting end to that book that is completely ruined by him suddenly being back in control and just an rear end in a top hat later. It even has the added bonus of Horus seeing that his brother is now being possessed by some strange warp xeno and having his first inklings of doubt about what is happening around him. However, that would have required the authors to actually write books that followed Horus around during the heresy instead of removing him completely from the books after number 3.
He's one of the central figures in Vengeful Spirit, book 29. Of course, at that point he's already embraced Chaos with both arms and an awkward boner.

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

I'm halfway through Ian Watson's Spacemarine and I don't know what the gently caress I'm reading but I love it.

some highlights: (somewhat spoilery I guess)
Space marines farting in eachothers faces
an emperor titan flipping a bunch of warlords off, like literally giving them the finger
some weird mosaic of poo poo goblets being worshipped by imperial fists as if its the holiest thing after the golden throne
and arm-less, leg-less blood drinker marine with his rear end encased in lead trying to convince other marines he can still be of use
ITS BIFFING TIME

This book is great and I can't wait what other crazy poo poo is going to happen.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Groetgaffel posted:

He's one of the central figures in Vengeful Spirit, book 29. Of course, at that point he's already embraced Chaos with both arms and an awkward boner.

Imo that was a bad book tho

Would not recommend

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Waroduce posted:

Would not recommend

Agreed.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
If you subscribe to the BL newsletter, they offered a free ebook (probably a pamphlet) prequel today for the new Gaunt's Ghosts collection.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

Mikojan posted:

I'm halfway through Ian Watson's Spacemarine and I don't know what the gently caress I'm reading but I love it.

some highlights: (somewhat spoilery I guess)
Space marines farting in eachothers faces
an emperor titan flipping a bunch of warlords off, like literally giving them the finger
some weird mosaic of poo poo goblets being worshipped by imperial fists as if its the holiest thing after the golden throne
and arm-less, leg-less blood drinker marine with his rear end encased in lead trying to convince other marines he can still be of use
ITS BIFFING TIME

This book is great and I can't wait what other crazy poo poo is going to happen.

Space Marine is batshit bonkers awesome because it was written before the 40K setting was really nailed down, so Watson could just go nuts without much restriction.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Helicon One posted:

oh I see you thought he was joking.

That and I had forgotten the butt part. :blush:

Anonymous Zebra posted:

This is essentially my problem with the whole possessed/not possessed aspect of Fulgrims transcendence into demon-prince hood. All for the sake of adding what exactly? A bit of suspense or doubt in the observations and actions of Lucius and the rest of the Brotherhood of the Phoenix.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Did any of the chaos primarchs except Horus get a bad deal out of betraying the Emperor? All of them are immortal demons now right?

Gibfender
Apr 15, 2007

Electricity In Our Homes

Sandweed posted:

Did any of the chaos primarchs except Horus get a bad deal out of betraying the Emperor? All of them are immortal demons now right?

Depending on your take on motivations and whatnot Alpharius and his Legion got their poo poo pushed in pretty hard post-Invasion of Terra

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Well Konrad got assassinated and his legion got its poo poo kicked in by the Ultramarines. A couple of the chaos legions also splintered pretty drat hard too.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

Sandweed posted:

Magnus and the Thousand Sons got a pretty raw deal despite the whole immortal daemon prince gig.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Some of the legions got shafted that's for sure but I'm talking about the primarchs specifically.

All of the loyal primarchs are either dead or missing, Konrad and Horus is dead. Looks like the chaos primarchs got the better deal overall. Alpha legion turned to chaos, but one of the twin primarchs remained loyal, do we even know what's really going on there?

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Sandweed posted:

Some of the legions got shafted that's for sure but I'm talking about the primarchs specifically.

All of the loyal primarchs are either dead or missing, Konrad and Horus is dead. Looks like the chaos primarchs got the better deal overall. Alpha legion turned to chaos, but one of the twin primarchs remained loyal, do we even know what's really going on there?

I thought it was canon that Johnson was still in stasis/sleeping in the Rock? Also yeah most of the chaos primarchs are alive but a lot of them are loving around with the Long Game in the warp and pretty much don't have any part in running their legion or anything in general really.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
As noted, whether they got a 'better deal' really, really depends on whether you consider 'immortal evil dude' a good deal (and in at least one case, immortal evil dude constantly ravaged by hideous diseases). It sounds like you do but I'm not sure many would actually agree with you.

There's no hard canon on what happened to Alpharius/Omegon (yet) I don't think, any implications one way or the other are pure speculation.

Most of the loyalist primarchs aren't dead for certain, a lot of them went on crusades or whatever and were lost to the reaches of history - but there are a lot of predictions that they'll return for the end times, basically. Russ, Khan and Corax at least basically went charging off into the eye of terror for whatever reason and are expected back AAAAANY minute now. Vulkan disappeared, but according to book-canon he's basically immortal given he's a perpetual. Dorn lost a hand assaulting a chaos ship but he's MIA rather than KIA. Guilliman is in stasis on Ultramar, not actually dead. The only ones definitely dead are Sanguinius and Ferrus Manus on the loyalist side and Horus and Kurze on the rebels'.

gently caress knows about the Dark Angels BTW - the official line is 'Luther turned evil, assaulted Lion, Lion in stasis on Rock, will return eventually' but the Dark Angels are shrouded in secrecy and there's a lot of fanon that basically says they're the chaos equivalent of the Alpha Legion.

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

Vulkan pretty much got his head hosed up by Kurze's torturing too right?

Like, even if he would return he'd be a rambling lunatic with little to no use.

Well, I guess you could drop him on a chaos world and pick him up like a decade later when everything is dead.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Waroduce posted:

Would not recommend
Yeah, but if you're dumb enough (like me) to read all the Horus Heresy books just because, then it's at least better than Damnation of Pythos, #30. Or Nemesis. gently caress that book.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Personally I'm not sure if I would consider evil immortal dude a good deal, but the primarchs where not really humans in the first place. Most of them didn't even consider humans worth anything at all. They just switched out one superbeing to serve for another.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Groetgaffel posted:

Yeah, but if you're dumb enough (like me) to read all the Horus Heresy books just because, then it's at least better than Damnation of Pythos, #30. Or Nemesis. gently caress that book.

I liked Nemisis bc you got a look at the assasins, but it would have been better as not a heresy book. Also it was kinda dumb ya.

Shroud
May 11, 2009

thespaceinvader posted:

As noted, whether they got a 'better deal' really, really depends on whether you consider 'immortal evil dude' a good deal (and in at least one case, immortal evil dude constantly ravaged by hideous diseases). It sounds like you do but I'm not sure many would actually agree with you.

There's no hard canon on what happened to Alpharius/Omegon (yet) I don't think, any implications one way or the other are pure speculation.

Most of the loyalist primarchs aren't dead for certain, a lot of them went on crusades or whatever and were lost to the reaches of history - but there are a lot of predictions that they'll return for the end times, basically. Russ, Khan and Corax at least basically went charging off into the eye of terror for whatever reason and are expected back AAAAANY minute now. Vulkan disappeared, but according to book-canon he's basically immortal given he's a perpetual. Dorn lost a hand assaulting a chaos ship but he's MIA rather than KIA. Guilliman is in stasis on Ultramar, not actually dead. The only ones definitely dead are Sanguinius and Ferrus Manus on the loyalist side and Horus and Kurze on the rebels'.

gently caress knows about the Dark Angels BTW - the official line is 'Luther turned evil, assaulted Lion, Lion in stasis on Rock, will return eventually' but the Dark Angels are shrouded in secrecy and there's a lot of fanon that basically says they're the chaos equivalent of the Alpha Legion.

There's bits and pieces of the canon that imply he got it back together later on. Conveniently, he then goes missing.

Edit: Vulcan, that is

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Shroud posted:

There's bits and pieces of the canon that imply he got it back together later on. Conveniently, he then goes missing.

Edit: Vulcan, that is

grammaticus stabbed Vulcan with that spear in Unremembered Empire which prevents Vulkan from perpetually coming back. He's as good as KIA.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

grammaticus stabbed Vulcan with that spear in Unremembered Empire which prevents Vulkan from perpetually coming back. He's as good as KIA.

Vulcan in 40k lore spoiler i guess:Vulcan is MIA not KIA. He is one of the primarchs who can 'come back' in the end times regardless of his perpetual status

SavTargaryen
Sep 11, 2011

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

Vulcan spoiler: There was also that bit near the end where the space marine started hearing a heartbeat too, sooooo yeah he's probably still around

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Helicon One posted:

Space Marine is batshit bonkers awesome because it was written before the 40K setting was really nailed down, so Watson could just go nuts without much restriction.

I've talked about it before, but Watson got offered the GW book deals at a time when genre fiction was considered career poison and he didn't even bother with a pseudonym and just had fun. In the forward to Inquisition War he talks about how all his author friends told him it was a bad idea, but that his W40K books made him more money then anything else he had written by far, and the setting was insanely fun to work with. At the time he was given a rough outline of what the W40k universe was and suggestions on what to do and what to avoid and then given complete free reign.

There's a reason later editions of his books were heavily edited to remove stuff that the GW editors now whined about being non-canon. Watson was doing Genestealer stories before the Tyranids were introduced and made up his own crazy backgrounds and stuff to explain them. One of his main characters was a Squat who openly poo poo on the Adeptus Mechanus and rolled his eyes every time someone said a prayer or invoked the Emperor while fixing something.

At the time, he was the biggest "get" GW could ever hope for and as a result he was got tons of leeway and created some insanely good books. By W40k standards his stuff is still miles ahead of everything since then, save some of ADB's works and maybe some of Abnett's stuff.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

PRESIDENT GOKU posted:

I think you have it backwards, actually.

The spear was supposed to get around Vulkans perpetuality, so Kurze could use it to kill him, but John used it to instead sacrifice his own perpetuality and fix Vulkans head

Shroud
May 11, 2009

REAL MUSCLE MILK posted:

I think you have it backwards, actually.

The spear was supposed to get around Vulkans perpetuality, so Kurze could use it to kill him, but John used it to instead sacrifice his own perpetuality and fix Vulkans head

This is the correct answer. Vulkan's even on record as being against the restructuring of the legions after the Heresy.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

pentyne posted:

I've talked about it before, but Watson got offered the GW book deals at a time when genre fiction was considered career poison and he didn't even bother with a pseudonym and just had fun. In the forward to Inquisition War he talks about how all his author friends told him it was a bad idea, but that his W40K books made him more money then anything else he had written by far, and the setting was insanely fun to work with. At the time he was given a rough outline of what the W40k universe was and suggestions on what to do and what to avoid and then given complete free reign.

There's a reason later editions of his books were heavily edited to remove stuff that the GW editors now whined about being non-canon. Watson was doing Genestealer stories before the Tyranids were introduced and made up his own crazy backgrounds and stuff to explain them. One of his main characters was a Squat who openly poo poo on the Adeptus Mechanus and rolled his eyes every time someone said a prayer or invoked the Emperor while fixing something.

At the time, he was the biggest "get" GW could ever hope for and as a result he was got tons of leeway and created some insanely good books. By W40k standards his stuff is still miles ahead of everything since then, save some of ADB's works and maybe some of Abnett's stuff.

Space Dwarf making GBS threads on a tech priest is a great image.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

thespaceinvader posted:

Unfortunately the newest DA books by Gav Thrope kind of torpedo the idea that the Dark Angels turned to chaos. They basically imply everything that happened at Caliban was due to stupidity. DA on Caliban fired upon the Lions fleet, and the lion got all ragey and basically nuked the planet.

Has there been any good BL stuff that came out recently?

Dance Marine
Feb 17, 2014

UberJumper posted:

Has there been any good BL stuff that came out recently?

Don’t know if it qualifies as recently but Stomcaller (part 2 of Blood of Asaheim) by Chris Wraight is probably worth a read as well as Talon of Horus by ADB.

Both are okay/good, In my opinion anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Waroduce posted:

I liked Nemisis bc you got a look at the assasins, but it would have been better as not a heresy book. Also it was kinda dumb ya.

Yeah that could have been great, Oceans 11 in space, only they're all the Imperiums greatest Assassins working together to kill the toughest target in the Galaxy .

You'd think that would be hard to mess up. As you say making the target someone you knew the Author wouldn't be allowed to kill made the whole book pointless.

If they'd set in in the 40K timeline rather than the Heresy and made it, random example, 'The Dark Mechicus's most dangerous tech-sorceror has developed a meme that can take over loyalist Titans. Someone has to infiltrate his personal Forge World and take him out forever' or something like that, it could have been really good.