Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Chamale posted:

I can think of one way to cheat with Manifest that won't be easy to catch. If you Manifest a creature with morph, you could use sleight of hand to switch it with a land from your hand. You can now cast the creature with Morph, and buy yourself an extra 2/2. It won't happen in Constructed but I bet we'll see it on camera in a Limited event.

Couldn't you do this with anything, not just something with morph? You manifest something you really want and you have a blank card in hand, so you swap the two and then cast your gas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

vOv posted:

Couldn't you do this with anything, not just something with morph? You manifest something you really want and you have a blank card in hand, so you swap the two and then cast your gas.

Good point, that also works. Although of course it only works if the gas you want is a noncreature.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Chamale posted:

Good point, that also works. Although of course it only works if the gas you want is a noncreature.

Sleight of hand cheats have been around forever in card games. Manifest itself isn't *really* a bigger deal, I think.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Chamale posted:

I can think of one way to cheat with Manifest that won't be easy to catch. If you Manifest a creature with morph, you could use sleight of hand to switch it with a land from your hand. You can now cast the creature with Morph, and buy yourself an extra 2/2. It won't happen in Constructed but I bet we'll see it on camera in a Limited event.

I don't think this is particularly special since you could pull the same trick with the top of your library right now if you were so inclined to cheat.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

En Fuego posted:

There right there is my favorite deck.

Oh it's even better than that. P1P1 Skullclamp (took it over Mox Jet, which was painful but paid off when I got passed Bitterblossom, Gravecrawler, and Bloodsoaked Champion).

BaronVonVaderham fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Dec 31, 2014

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
Mox was the better pick. Power is called power for a reason.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

born on a buy you posted:

Mox was the better pick. Power is called power for a reason.

Perhaps, but I think it's a coin flip. Pack 2, sure, Mox by default, but leading off with Skullclamp in my hand I was able to shape my entire deck around it, prioritizing things like Gravecrawler and Champion, which made Braids really attractive in pack 2.

Recurring Nightmare was Pick 8 in pack 3, it was insane....

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
I remember Chapin saying in one of the Open streams that there were 3 non Power 9 cards that actually had a better win percentage than any of the Power 9 in MODO cubes. One was Skullclamp, I think another was Library of Alexandria, and I can't recall the third. Maybe Sol Ring?

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here

qbert posted:

I remember Chapin saying in one of the Open streams that there were 3 non Power 9 cards that actually had a better win percentage than any of the Power 9 in MODO cubes. One was Skullclamp, I think another was Library of Alexandria, and I can't recall the third. Maybe Sol Ring?

Sol Ring is usually more powerful than an off-color mox, so I believe it.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

I think Sol Ring is just about an honorary mention of the power family. A card that puts out more mana than you put in and does it every turn is pretty crazy. Especially at 1 mana. It just happens to be an uncommon and got to keep going into revised.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Kabanaw posted:

Sol Ring is usually more powerful than an off-color mox, so I believe it.

Sol Ring can be better than an on-colour mox too, depending on how many colours you play and the number of coloured mana symbols on your cards. If you have a lot of cards that cost at least 2 colourless mana, Sol Ring is better than a Mox.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

qbert posted:

I heard that part. It was Sol Ring, Library of Alexandria and Skullclamp.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

qbert posted:

He wasn't talking about cube, it was VMA. I'm still willing to believe that those can be worth picking over power in cube, though. The third was sol ring, btw.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

joats posted:

Boy, battle brawler sure has some dumb shoulder pads.

world of warcraft was popular back then

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here

Chamale posted:

Sol Ring can be better than an on-colour mox too, depending on how many colours you play and the number of coloured mana symbols on your cards. If you have a lot of cards that cost at least 2 colourless mana, Sol Ring is better than a Mox.

Yeah I was tempering how highly I value Sol Ring over Moxen, but it's definitely one of the strongest cards in the cube. It's still funny to me that Sol Ring is legal in commander but yet the power 9 are banned.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

RME posted:

world of warcraft was popular back then

This made me laugh harder than it should've.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

A fun bit of MODO trivia today: what happened to MODO on your computer when it turned 2015 in your timezone? Give up? It stops working, yaaaaaay

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

rabidsquid posted:

A fun bit of MODO trivia today: what happened to MODO on your computer when it turned 2015 in your timezone? Give up? It stops working, yaaaaaay

:stare:

Truly a marvel of science. And we were worried about Y2K.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

It breaks when the year on your computer doesn't agree with the year on wotc's servers, apparently.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

First game of match one of my Holiday Swiss, lose to a turn 3 Tinker into Sundering Titan taking out two of my lands.

Game two, turn two mana vault into tinker into Sundering Titan taking out two of my lands.

Holiday Cube isn't as fun when other people get the fun things.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Pinterest Mom posted:

It breaks when the year on your computer doesn't agree with the year on wotc's servers, apparently.
Hahaha windows XP did this when had to swap a used motherboard into my mother's computer during the summer

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Pinterest Mom posted:

Why does it even care about the date on the client end? :psyduck:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Manifest really makes me want to see one of those sweet demonstrations from Penn and Teller where they explain it afterwards and it's still magical. :allears:

I bet they can manifest a standard deck into a vintage one, go off with a dredge combo, and still have the opponent utterly convinced they were playing at a limited event. Alex and the score pad guys aren't bad - they're just lame tricksters and we should be seeing some real magic.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Kabanaw posted:

Yeah I was tempering how highly I value Sol Ring over Moxen, but it's definitely one of the strongest cards in the cube. It's still funny to me that Sol Ring is legal in commander but yet the power 9 are banned.

Its already functionally down for everyone for the next 4 hours, btw. They said they're going to fix it in 3 hours from now, but you can't enter anything (e.g. play Magic) until then.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Also, a PPTQ was scheduled and it just broke entirely and won't be played at all. Not sure how that works, but MTGO, ladies and gentlemen.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Angry Grimace posted:

Also, a PPTQ was scheduled and it just broke entirely and won't be played at all. Not sure how that works, but MTGO, ladies and gentlemen.

Perhaps the greatest magicians weren't the players, but WOTC itself. :)

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Lovely, I took a break for dinner and came back to this nonsense.

Quality software. Why can't I bring myself to sell off my collection and quit.....

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Lovely, I took a break for dinner and came back to this nonsense.

Quality software. Why can't I bring myself to sell off my collection and quit.....

95% of the time it DOES let you play Magic in your house without any friends. That said, given the woes with V4 and the huge dropoff, they should compensate players when they gently caress up this bad. I mean, its a major holiday and you can't even play events.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Angry Grimace posted:

I don't have a problem with the mechanic; I have a problem with the name "manifest." It doesn't sound like what the mechanic does at all. A card that is face-down is the literal opposite of manifest.

Think about an Instant/Sorcery/Enchantment entering the field as a physical creature.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Because there are no other comparable experiences one can have in their underpants, according to the thread, anyway.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

MTGO has corrected itself: instead of having no events for 3 hours, it won't have any events for 5 hours.

Spiderdrake posted:

Because there are no other comparable experiences one can have in their underpants, according to the thread, anyway.

The aforementioned World of Warcraft still exists. I guess Blizzard can be happy that I just downloaded and installed Hearthstone.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Spiderdrake posted:

Hearth stone owns but brand loyalty is a funny thing.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I

Chill la Chill posted:

Hearth stone owns but brand loyalty is a funny thing.

Pretty sure he was making a virgin joke, but...

Hearthstone's UI is beautiful but it feels like checkers to MtG's chess.It will never replace magic, until Mtgo starts emptying people's checking accounts or something (without their consent, I mean)

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Terrible Horse posted:

No, it's a distilling of replies the last time I engaged on the topic. If its a virgin joke, well, then it isn't really coming from me.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

"Happy New Year! We had a meeting last year where I talked with R&D about the color pie breaking and I think I got everyone to understand the danger of us not being careful about it, so I’m hoping for less color breaking in the future.

:allears: I just wish I could be in on a serious business meeting about the color pie.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
Speaking of Magic Online, I wrote about how I draft the Holiday Cube.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Are you resuming your reviews soon?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Terrible Horse posted:

Hearthstone's UI is beautiful but it feels like checkers to MtG's chess.It will never replace magic, until Mtgo starts emptying people's checking accounts or something (without their consent, I mean)

I tend not to do those other possible activities in my underpants, if I can help it.

Hearth stone does lack the instant mechanic but I do like how the creature combat is more nuanced. I wouldn't say it's checkers when board state is more difficult than the magic version of hurf durf defenders almost always have the advantage. Look at the current midrange crisis of both standard and draft - HS doesn't have this stalemate problem.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Terrible Horse posted:

I literally just downloaded Hearthstone 2 hours ago thanks to the MTGO bug and I'm already angry that Wizards can't pay Blizzard to make this poo poo look like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Hearthstone is nice and all, but you can't trade, you can't get specific cards, and the meta is currently weighed down by rush decks. Buying packs is nice, but after a while, you're going to get 40 dust per pack. That can get you a common from crafting. Legendary cards, which can often be a major part of control decks, cost 1600 dust to craft.

I realize that Magic is a money sink, but at least I can easily target what I'm going to sink money into. And generally trade with my friends. And you know, not have to play rush decks to go somewhere in the game since I have dick all in funds.

Ramos fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Jan 1, 2015

• Locked thread