Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.

Skeesix posted:

What then is the point of having the Greyjoys on the show? I realize that the show has made them considerably less badass than in the books. And I know they sort of provide cover for the Boltons burning down winterfell. And sure, Theon, but those are slim pickings for the addition of a whole family in a show which is already so packed with characters.
Well, if Euron razes the Reach, attacks Oldtown and in general destroys the Tyrell power base, allowing Cersei to re-emerge somehow... Then, yeah, I kind of see the point of having him in Season 6. Other than that, nothing really occurs to me.

Oh! Balon needs to die to prove that Mel was right. That's about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

meristem posted:

Yarasha is going to spend all of season five rowing back to Pyke just to hear that this happened offscreen, and it will be done with the writing taken literally - falling off a bridge during a storm.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

meristem posted:

He was killed OFF SCREEN in THE BOOKS... the show will just never bring him up again

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

He fell off a bridge and ingested too much salt water then later died of kidney failure

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I can't help but feel Euron, at least, is going to be significant in the books.

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid
I suspect they plan to introduce them in season 6 instead of bringing us to two new locations in one season.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Mortabis posted:

I suspect they plan to introduce them in season 6 instead of bringing us to two new locations in one season.

Don't go down this road, it only leads to disappointment.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I think there's a slim possibility they might find a way to introduce Euron in season 6, but there's absolutely no way you're ever gonna see Victarion in the show. Give that up.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Jan 1, 2015

Scapegoat
Sep 18, 2004
Any thoughts on what Yara is up to this season? I could see them having Stannis capture her when he sailed to the wall and reveal next season. Has she been spotted on set?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
I don't think anyone sending stuff to Watchers on the Wall ever spotted her.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.
Everyone mentioning Euron & Vic makes me wonder why no one likes to remember Damphair, he always seemed pretty cool to me. Plus he looks like Alan Moore.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

BillBear posted:

Everyone mentioning Euron & Vic makes me wonder why no one likes to remember Damphair, he always seemed pretty cool to me. Plus he looks like Alan Moore.

His story is the one that is least impacted by being a Greyjoy; you could literally make any crazy old man into a priest and have it work.

This is also mostly true for Victarion but having the brother of the King/head of household command the best fleet is cool.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
No ungodly man shall make an appearance in HBO's Game Of Thrones

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.

Lycus posted:

I think there's a slim possibility they might find a way to introduce Euron in season 6, but there's absolutely no way you're ever gonna see Victarion in the show. Give that up.
I'm very, very fine with that.

This looks like it'll be a fine season. I'm still laughing at people who said AFFC&ADWD would take two full seasons (meaning 5 and 6, not 5 and that bit in season 4).

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

meristem posted:

I'm very, very fine with that.

This looks like it'll be a fine season. I'm still laughing at people who said AFFC&ADWD would take two full seasons (meaning 5 and 6, not 5 and that bit in season 4).

Oh man, thinking back to the people who were like "this show will have ten to twelve seasons, they can't do it in less than that!"

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
People still underestimated how much god drat filler is in the books.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Koirhor posted:

People still underestimated how much god drat filler is in the books.

I prefer the book filler to the show filler.

How anyone thought the "smash the beetles lol, kuh kuh" scene was worth filming... just, jesus christ.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
The book "filler" is ridiculously better.

But for me this isn't so much about filler as the limitations of the media, I don't consider Brienne's journey and other such plots as filler so many people might disagree with me on this but the way I see it the books taking their time to explore the world and focus on 'smaller stories' is fine and adds a lot to their charm, the show has to work with a 10 hour seasonal constraint and it's pretty clear that they're just doing their own thing now and don't really care whether they follow up on George's plot developments or not.

And obviously this has everything to do with the way the scope of the books in AFFC&ADWD dramatically increases. I don't think they're bad books but it's clear that their bad books to adapt into a TV show.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

MrBims posted:

I prefer the book filler to the show filler.

How anyone thought the "smash the beetles lol, kuh kuh" scene was worth filming... just, jesus christ.

When that episode aired some people were declaring that an Emmy worthy scene. :psyduck:

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

emanresu tnuocca posted:

But for me this isn't so much about filler as the limitations of the media, I don't consider Brienne's journey and other such plots as filler so many people might disagree with me on this but the way I see it the books taking their time to explore the world and focus on 'smaller stories' is fine and adds a lot to their charm, the show has to work with a 10 hour seasonal constraint and it's pretty clear that they're just doing their own thing now and don't really care whether they follow up on George's plot developments or not.

Yeah, its clear that while Brienne's journey is filler in the strictest sense, it still manages to convey a ton of information about the world that will eventually become important in later books. I mean, George wouldn't spend so much time developing the Riverlands if it wasn't going to play some role in the books' endgame.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.
The thing about TV filler is, it's either absolute poo poo (Yara's dreadfort assault, Karl Tanner, Beetles, Dick Leech) or some of the best stuff in the series (Arya & Tywin, Robert and Cersei talking privately, Bronn and Hound facing off in Blackwater, Oberyn doing various poo poo, Brienne vs the Hound).

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Dick leech and Talisa's rear end are examples of good filler, bro.

Punch Card
Sep 13, 2005

by Ralp
This TV show is fun to look at.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

rydiafan posted:

When that episode aired some people were declaring that an Emmy worthy scene. :psyduck:

It was a great little bit of brotherly banter between Jaime and Tyrion. which we've not seen since their very first scene in the entire series. I think everyone just enjoyed seeing two of their favourite characters just enjoying each other's company, and it was a nice moment of levity in a grim and grisly episode.

It added nothing to the plot whatsoever, and should most definitely have been replaced with either of the big Jaime/Tyrion reveals - Joffrey sending the assassin, or Tysha.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Strom Cuzewon posted:

It was a great little bit of brotherly banter between Jaime and Tyrion. which we've not seen since their very first scene in the entire series. I think everyone just enjoyed seeing two of their favourite characters just enjoying each other's company, and it was a nice moment of levity in a grim and grisly episode.

It added nothing to the plot whatsoever, and should most definitely have been replaced with either of the big Jaime/Tyrion reveals - Joffrey sending the assassin, or Tysha.

Yup, the Tysha thing is fundamental to Tyrions motivations for the rest of the series, its baffling that they cut it out.

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

I can't stand the wailing of women

Irish Joe posted:

Yeah, its clear that while Brienne's journey is filler in the strictest sense, it still manages to convey a ton of information about the world that will eventually become important in later books. I mean, George wouldn't spend so much time developing the Riverlands if it wasn't going to play some role in the books' endgame.

I mean, I think it's pretty clear from the leagues of foreshadowing that the Trident is going to be the location of some sort of final stand.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang

wooger posted:

Yup, the Tysha thing is fundamental to Tyrions motivations for the rest of the series, its baffling that they cut it out.

In the books. The TV show is telling a different equally interesting story, and until people understand that, you are going to keep missing all the cool stuff it is doing while you are busy searching for your own personal Lady Stoneheart.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Anonymous Zebra posted:

In the books. The TV show is telling a different equally interesting story, and until people understand that, you are going to keep missing all the cool stuff it is doing while you are busy searching for your own personal Lady Stoneheart.

Smash the beetles.

Kuh.

Kuh.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

I guess it depends on how the battle at slavers bay goes, but I could understand them not bothering with the Iron Islanders if Dany's forces win and just jump on the ships.

It's easy enough to have them win their own fight and steal / conquer someone's navy - well they kind of already have a navy as of season 4.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang

MrBims posted:

Smash the beetles.

Kuh.

Kuh.

Like someone mentioned earlier, it was an excellent scene showing the brotherly love between Tyrion and Jamie while at the same time slowly increasing the tension that whole episode was building up to.

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

BillBear posted:

The thing about TV filler is, it's either absolute poo poo (Yara's dreadfort assault, Karl Tanner, Beetles, Dick Leech) or some of the best stuff in the series (Arya & Tywin, Robert and Cersei talking privately, Bronn and Hound facing off in Blackwater, Oberyn doing various poo poo, Brienne vs the Hound).

This isn't filler. It's just a list of scenes.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Pedro De Heredia posted:

I think he's counting filler as "not from the books"

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Anonymous Zebra posted:

Nah, his actions are just less reasonable, and it'll be more acute in the future series.

Same thing already happened with Cat, who in the tv show hadn't gotten news that Winterfell had fallen and her sons were dead, **prior** to letting Jaime go. Again, far less reasonable behaviour in the tv show.

The people doing the adaptation have missed the main points in both cases, making the show harder to follow for everyone, not just book readers.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Pedro De Heredia posted:

I'd definitely count Yara's quest and the Craster's Keep story as classic definition filler. Adds nothing, changes nothing, exists to give characters something to do for a while or to cram in action scenes to up the excitement. Fine in theory, but when you look back on it it's just wasted time that could have gone to sexy sexy Coldhands.

Then you have stuff on the other end of the spectrum, like basically any new content involving Arya or Sandor, which is both hugely entertaining and strengthens the characters massively, without veering too far off the plot's trajectory. Jon going off for days at a time (right before an invasion) to sort Tanner out was a massive diversion, Arya doing cool stuff and meeting cool people on the way to her destination was great and made sense.

stev fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Jan 2, 2015

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Without the Craster's Keep detour, Bran and co. would've had as little content as in the books, or as little as in season 3. You see what happens when there's nothing to do: A year off from the show. By the time Bran comes back, his actor is going to have a man's voice.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Apoplexy posted:

Without the Craster's Keep detour, Bran and co. would've had as little content as in the books, or as little as in season 3. You see what happens when there's nothing to do: A year off from the show. By the time Bran comes back, his actor is going to have a man's voice.

And yet they cut out a bunch of useful, interesting plot for them by randomly excising Coldhands. :shrug:

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Bran has more than enough plot in the books. Even if he appeared two or three times a year in the show, that'd be more than enough to keep him in the viewer's minds. That way when it turns out he's the ultimate villain everyone will be like 'oh poo poo it was that kid that's sometimes around that's awesome!'

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Reading up more on Blood Raven has removed any doubts in my mind that he's a good guy, Bran is hosed and Hodor and the Reed girl are going to be dead or have to flee the cave soon.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Professor Shark posted:

Reading up more on Blood Raven has removed any doubts in my mind that he's a good guy, Bran is hosed and Hodor and the Reed girl are going to be dead or have to flee the cave soon.

Has anyone with the word Blood in their name turned out to be a good guy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Has anyone with the word Blood in their name turned out to be a good guy?

Blackfish is a good name for a token Evil Tully but that dude rules :shrug:

• Locked thread