Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ruarc
Oct 22, 2008

what
I missed Splinter Cell again. :saddowns:

Is The Long Dark any good? I'm waffling between getting that, The Forest, or 7 Days to Die.

Any other suggestions on spending :10bux: or around there, taken too: http://steamcommunity.com/id/ruarc/wishlist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Are there any good visual novels on Steam besides the ones always talked about in these threads (like Hatoful Boyfriend, Analogue/Hate+, Vlad, etc)?

Greyish Orange
Apr 1, 2010

ruarc posted:

Is The Long Dark any good? I'm waffling between getting that, The Forest, or 7 Days to Die.

Any other suggestions on spending :10bux: or around there, taken too: http://steamcommunity.com/id/ruarc/wishlist

You need to accept my friend request, or send me one - http://steamcommunity.com/id/Palitir

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Are there any good visual novels on Steam besides the ones always talked about in these threads (like Hatoful Boyfriend, Analogue/Hate+, Vlad, etc)?

It's more android/iOS however 80 days is fantastic. Outside of steam however.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Cinders is supposed to be pretty good.

Worlds End Economica isn't bad either from what I've tried. Though it's also "episode 1" and I have no idea if there's a cliffhanger ending.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

RightClickSaveAs posted:

-Ghost Master - $0.74
A sort of Sims style top down game where you rig up various locations with hauntings to scare the people wandering around. It's pretty easy and doesn't have a lot of depth, but it's fun for at least a couple hours.

I briefly mentioned this game to my wife over dinner and she lit up with interest, so if someone you know plays Sims, consider this as a cheap gift that at least feels thoughtful.

BAD AT STUFF
May 10, 2012

We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because fuck you.

ruarc posted:

I only played a couple lives of Long Dark so far, but I liked it. Way more atmospheric and difficult than 7 Days to Die. Only get 7 Days if you're going to play it coop, I'd say. No idea about The Forest, horror isn't my thing.

Sivek
Nov 12, 2012

The 39 Steps is cheap and pretty good. I thought Dysfunctional Systems was kind of interesting but really short.

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

Mokinokaro posted:

Worlds End Economica isn't bad either from what I've tried. Though it's also "episode 1" and I have no idea if there's a cliffhanger ending.

This has been on #1 on my wishlist since it came out, but I'm still on the fence about buying it. I was supposed to get it while its on sale but then all these other games got in the way...

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.

ruarc posted:

Get 7 days.

Greyish Orange
Apr 1, 2010

Zurreco posted:

Get 7 days.

I think you mean Dark Souls 2

Pews
Mar 7, 2006

one thousand years of anime
Grimey Drawer

Nekopara If you are looking for one with absolutely no choices and just story. The art is animated and it's rather long too. Just make sure to abandon all your dignity when you buy it...

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Is the visual novel Heroes Rise: The Hero Project any good? It looks alright.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Speedball posted:

It's got a decent variety of choices, but it's 100% text (not much "visual") and the writing's not great at all. There's a demo for one of them iirc.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Mokinokaro posted:

It's got a decent variety of choices, but it's 100% text (not much "visual") and the writing's not great at all. There's a demo for one of them iirc.

Bah. Thanks for the info.

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.

Greyish Orange posted:

I think someone named Pali just bought me that so :whatup:

But 7 Days is good too.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Pews posted:

Nekopara If you are looking for one with absolutely no choices and just story. The art is animated and it's rather long too. Just make sure to abandon all your dignity when you buy it...

Nekopara is pretty drat epic, honestly.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Speedball posted:

There's a Let's Play (so more or less a complete transcription given the nature of it) on the forum right now. It's terrible; someone described it like a tabletop campaign where all you do is watch the GM's awesome invincible NPCs do everything and that hits the nail on the head.

mycot fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Jan 1, 2015

Greyish Orange
Apr 1, 2010

Zurreco posted:

I think someone named Pali just bought me that so :whatup:

But 7 Days is good too.

Hope you enjoy it =)

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Sivek posted:

I thought Dysfunctional Systems was kind of interesting but really short.

They had a Kickstarter earlier this year to make more and are going to release a prequel really soon, and a sequel later this year. I'm looking forward to them.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Pretty good sale on Commandos right now :eyepop:

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

The Swapper is truly excellent, but it also makes me wish they made a PC port of Shadow Complex.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Commandos has been over 100% a couple times already.

Gentleman Baller
Oct 13, 2013

Speedball posted:

The trilogies writing gets better as time goes on, but it's all kinda un-noteworthy. Having said that, if you think you'd enjoy the setting then I doubt you'd be unhappy with the purchase. Characters feel complete and somewhat interesting, choices feel important and the third game does have a fair bit of payoff for those who played through the other two. I wouldn't play Hero Project before The Prodigy, despite it being a better game, though.

If you're looking for good IF with a geeky setting, Choice of Robots is a really solid choice. I've played it an embarrassing amount on Android just to explore all the choices and characters from different perspectives and could not recommend it enough (assuming no pictures isn't a deal breaker)

EightDeer
Dec 2, 2011

Shovel Knight
This War of Mine
Valkyria Chronicles

Which one is best?

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.

Speedball posted:

The Swapper is truly excellent, but it also makes me wish they made a PC port of Shadow Complex.

I face palm every time epic announces another ios game instead of shadow complex 2.

EightDeer posted:

Shovel Knight
This War of Mine
Valkyria Chronicles

Which one is best?

Valkyria Chronicles is so good.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

EightDeer posted:

Shovel Knight
I'm 2 hours into Shovel Knight (beat specter knight, tried each of the next levels but haven't had time to finish them) and while it is certainly good it hardly blows my mind.

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

EightDeer posted:

Shovel Knight
This War of Mine
Valkyria Chronicles

Which one is best?
Best bang for your buck is probably Valkyria Chronicles, although Shovel Knight is probably best at being the kind of game it's trying to be.

Lucky Raccoon
Aug 17, 2006

Let's put on our classics and have a little dance shall we?

EightDeer posted:

Shovel Knight
This War of Mine
Valkyria Chronicles

Which one is best?

This War of Mine is a crushing, bleak experience. It's the only game I've ever quit playing because I couldn't handle it. A+++ would depressed again

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

EightDeer posted:

Shovel Knight
This War of Mine
Valkyria Chronicles

Which one is best?

Valkyria for sure. All three are quite good though.

I agree with spiderdrake about Shovel Knight. It's extremely competent at what it's trying to be but at the same time isn't something revolutionary. It's just a very solid 2D platformer.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

markgreyam posted:

The news post from Steam itself certainly reads like it's all these games for 2 days without change.

http://store.steampowered.com/news/?snr=1_4_4__12
Sale cards vanish on the 2nd? Huh. Hopefully there's some fun market hijinks although mine are all sold.

Freak Futanari posted:

Hexcells is really really fun.
Yeah I'm glad I batted for it this sale (with some non-small caveats). And the Summer sale, I think, it was Pool Nation so glad to hear the positive response about that as well :3: (Speaking of, Pure Pool's apparently not very good, unfortunately; still have to try it though). Apparently I'm a 60-year-old so next sale it will be You Need To Get Off My Lawn.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

Did Half Minute Hero 2 or Long Live The Queen ever go for a deeper discount/flash sale?

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Greyish Orange posted:

Technically no one should be buying DSII, because they are coming out with an improved version in April or so that includes all the DLC as well as additional content. Which I'll be buying, eventually.

MorgaineDax posted:

Worth it, just for built in widescreen and not ridiculous save times.

Thanks, I'll pick it up. Now, debating whether or not to spend my remaining money on Shadows of Mordor

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Lucky Raccoon posted:

This War of Mine is a crushing, bleak experience. It's the only game I've ever quit playing because I couldn't handle it. A+++ would depressed again

Nihilumbra was the one to break me.

Occultatio
Aug 4, 2005

a massive toolclown who cannot stop causing problems

Speedball posted:

Gentleman Baller posted:

If you're looking for good IF with a geeky setting, Choice of Robots is a really solid choice.

Agreed with the above. Again, no pictures, but the writing in Choice of Robots is really, really solid, and there's a whole lot of, well, choices and replayability.

There's also, in the Choice of Games library, Choice of the Deathless, which is currently a buck cheaper ($2 instead of $3!) and written by actual published SF author Max Gladstone, if that makes a difference.

Pews
Mar 7, 2006

one thousand years of anime
Grimey Drawer

AfricanBootyShine posted:

Did Half Minute Hero 2 or Long Live The Queen ever go for a deeper discount/flash sale?

Not in this sale. This is the cheapest HMH2 has ever been and the last time LLTQ was cheaper was during the summer sale at 75% off.

Captain Gordon
Jul 22, 2004

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:

EightDeer posted:

Shovel Knight
This War of Mine
Valkyria Chronicles

Which one is best?

This War of Mine if you like games

Valkyria if you like anime

Lareine
Jul 22, 2007

KIIIRRRYYYUUUUU CHAAAANNNNNN
I had a pretty good X-mas sale. Got a lot of things I wouldn't have gotten otherwise.

But Alpha Protocol still hasn't been on sale for more than 50% off so I'm angry.

gently caress YOU GABEN

Spoke Lee
Dec 31, 2004

chairizard lol
I'm looking to get 2 copies of Tabletop Sim, anyone have 2? If not if 2 others are looking, or another looking for 2 copies, I'll buy a 4 pack if you paypal me your share.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/spokelee/

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Captain Gordon posted:

Valkyria if you like anime

It has nothing to do with anime really. I'm pretty vehemently anti-anime and barely could get through Dust, but Valkyria was really good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EightDeer
Dec 2, 2011

I'm hearing really mixed opinions. Guess I'll just roll a dice or something.

• Locked thread