Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Clementi by alkanphel, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008
gently caress dust, gently caress film getting too humid sticky to go in a reel properly, gently caress scanning.

Hmm 6x9 at f22 plus whatever the gently caress flickr does looks a tad oversharpened. Back to bokies.

Ambihelical Hexnut fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Dec 30, 2014

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS
So I had a roll of 120 I scanned in today and a roll of 35mm. I can't even be bothered to work on the 35mm scans. The MF scans just turn out so much better for me.

Plank by Paul Frederiksen, on Flickr

Doors by Paul Frederiksen, on Flickr

vxsarin fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Dec 30, 2014

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
Shot a roll of 127 film in the Kodak Vest Pocket, pretty neat little camera:

Hanging Rock by mr_student, on Flickr

Jeetho by mr_student, on Flickr

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Xiang Lin Si Temple, Melaka by alkanphel, on Flickr

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

I received a new friend in the mail today. Too bad it's been sub zero temperatures recently.

edit: the self timer (don't care) doesn't seem to work, and the slower shutter speeds don't seem to work (absolutely a big deal). What the hell, KEH? I don't expect that from an "EX" camera.

double edit: maybe I'm stupid, the green exposure numbers are like bulb mode with suggestions? Yep, that's what it is.

VVV - Yeah, I might end up returning it. I don't really care about self timer I don't think, but I spent way more than I should have on this for a pristine one, and for something to be broken sucks.

luchadornado fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Dec 31, 2014

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Return it. They have a pretty good return/exchange policy.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Is it normal for the exposure dial to grab lock with the aperture dial a little when going through the range? I'll have it set to f8, turn the exposure dial from 1/250 to 1/2 or something and the aperture will slip to 11 or 16. I don't have an EV lock function on this body, so I'm inclined to say no. I just don't want to return it if that's kind of the nature of the beast.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

How bad are P67's for handheld use as far as camera shake goes? How slow can you reliably shoot the 75mm?

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

try it with a lime posted:

How bad are P67's for handheld use as far as camera shake goes? How slow can you reliably shoot the 75mm?

I shot the 75mm for quite a while and I was able to handhold down to 1/30 if I tried - it's not nearly as bad as the internet would lead you to believe.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS

I haven't had a problem at all.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Helicity posted:

Is it normal for the exposure dial to grab lock with the aperture dial a little when going through the range? I'll have it set to f8, turn the exposure dial from 1/250 to 1/2 or something and the aperture will slip to 11 or 16. I don't have an EV lock function on this body, so I'm inclined to say no. I just don't want to return it if that's kind of the nature of the beast.

The same thing happens with my Rolleiflex, I think it's because the aperture and shutter dials are coupled together so when you're doing such a drastic change in exposure, you might have hit a limit and that forces the coupling to move the aperture dial.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

alkanphel posted:

The same thing happens with my Rolleiflex, I think it's because the aperture and shutter dials are coupled together so when you're doing such a drastic change in exposure, you might have hit a limit and that forces the coupling to move the aperture dial.

Good to know - and realistically, I won't be twisting each dial all the way when shooting. Although I'm a little more concerned about the fungus in the viewing lens since Harry Fleenor told me he can't replace a viewing lens.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Helicity posted:

Good to know - and realistically, I won't be twisting each dial all the way when shooting. Although I'm a little more concerned about the fungus in the viewing lens since Harry Fleenor told me he can't replace a viewing lens.

Now that would really be a concern, but at least KEH will allow you to return it easily.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.

Not too bad at all.

even I can manage 1/30 on the 55f4

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

re: KEH

This is my first time dealing with their customer service, and they're really bending over backwards to make me feel like the issue isn't on my side in any way and they'll make it right. Very refreshing, and I see why people like dealing with them so much.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
^ I had a lens came from KEH that was in considerably worse condition than advertised. They were super apologetic and gave me a considerable refund. Outstanding service every time.
Also the Hasselblad I bought from them came to me jammed, they paid for the repair.

Not sure if this has been discussed here, but has anyone had issues with the Fresnel screen on their Chamonix?

Over the past few months I've been developing film and a lot of shots (from the Chamonix), especially from a 90mm lens, have come out really out of focus, and shots taken at wider apertures also out of focus. I just stumbled across some posts on LFF about this issue stemming from the Fresnel screen throwing out, at first I thought it was just me (although I'd spend a fair amount of time through the loupe to believe I had everything in focus)

What sort of risk am I running from removing the Fresnel screen? I always put the little tin protective screen back on and wrap it in leather pouch so I would hope that damage when not in use is not going to happen.

Was a bit disappointed to read this and especially disappointed/worried now as there have been some shots on this latest southern trip I would loving hate to have come out not in focus (especially shot on velvia)

Hope everyone had a great Christmas and new years.

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

Pukestain Pal posted:

I haven't had a problem at all.

I could handhold the 75mm down to 1/15th with good to very good results. Good meaning slight loss of sharpness but not detectable unless viewed at large magnifications. I did 16" prints from worse shaken pictures for my exhibitions. That said I seem to have pretty much no to minimal natural tremor, but 1/30 should be totally fine if you follow best practices.

Helicity posted:

The dials are coupled for the F and E2 model iterations. It's one of the reasons I kept my C model Xenotar Rolleiflex alongside the F Planar model, 11 bladed aperture and overall more simplicity being the others. I did find it annoying; especially when doing my hand-held night stuff and long time exposures. I just had bought the C Xenotar as a quick fix after smashing my Planar F into the pavement during a time when I needed to shoot for a very tight deadline.

That said -- the fungus, while not common, can spread. Also if you bought this at EX condition it shouldn't have any fungus. Nowhere at all. It will also hurt resale value just having to mention it. Return it.

If you have any other 'flex questions hit me up, I'm pretty much the local TLR nut and have more in my shelf than I care to mention.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Sludge Tank posted:

Not sure if this has been discussed here, but has anyone had issues with the Fresnel screen on their Chamonix?

From what I remember reading, the original Chamonix N1 had that issue because of the position of the fresnel, there was some focus shift so they cut a hole in the GG or fresnel (can't remember) so that you can confirm focus. They fixed that in the N2 version by changing the position of the fresnel. I haven't had any issues shooting with a 90mm at wide apertures. It's possible something might have gone out of alignment though, like the lens elements or film holders or the GG stack. Maybe the guys at LFF can help you to troubleshoot.

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

Look, if you had one shot
or one opportunity
To seize everything you ever wanted
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

:siren:"THEIR":siren:

From memory Sludge Tank has the F1 (as do I) and I haven't noticed any issues with unfocused shots, but I also take very few photos where critical focus would be an issue.

I suppose the easiest test would be the classic ruler laid out in front, focus on a measurement and see how far off the focus is. I should probably do this myself some time...

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Hmmm the F1 shouldn't have the issue, since it came out after the N2.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
Just asking but you did focus those shot with a loupe right? Things can look focused on the GG but be off enough to show in a scan.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
Yeah I use an 8x loupe. I thought it could have been my error (usually is) but there are a heap of shots (especially @ 90mm) that are really, really badly out of focus, and I know for sure 99% of them were very carefully focused under the cloth. And I've never had this issue as much with my other LF gear, 8x10 or the sinar for example.

Two shots in particular come to mind that, I know for sure, were sharp as could be on the GG but the negs came out really out of focus. If I have time I usually remove the film holder & re-check focus before taking the shot to see if I've bumped the camera in any way during insertion.

Reading over LFF and APUG there seems to be a fair bit of argument about the Fresnel issue. Thought I'd try here.

And yeah I have the F1. The order goes : Protective screen > Fresnel > GG > Lens.

I've taken the Fresnel off for now and just put the protective screen back on (or should I keep the protective screen off?). Did read that the issue had been sorted out with the N2 and F1, but I don't want to take any chances while I'm down here shooting a ton of slides, and it's bright enough here that I can deal without the "extra brightness" of the Fresnel.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
Oh, and when I'm loving around with my loupe, it seems as if the protective screen/Fresnel both aren't "tight", or flush against the GG, as in there seems to be a fair bit of give when I push the loupe against them, which seems to make focusing awkward as well. It'll be sharp through the loupe, then I'll take the loupe away and it'll seem slightly out of focus again. If anything, it seems as if the Fresnel just makes it harder to focus than without.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

I've tried using an 8x loupe but I could never get focus because I ended up looking at the grain pattern of the fresnel instead of what I was trying to focus on. Instead a 4x loupe does much better for me. I don't push against the GG though, wouldn't that change the plane of focusing? I just put the loupe gently on the screen.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
I don't push it super hard, I just mean when it's up against the GG. What I'm looking at as far as focus goes seems to change. Loupe on: tack sharp. Loupe off: seems slightly out of focus.

Interesting what you say about the magnification, though. I've only ever used this loupe so got nothing to compare it to.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc
I use a 6x loupe and I like the magnification on it. Sludgetank, what 90mm do you have? I know some older things can focus shift a bit when stopped down past f/22.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
I have a Schneider Super Angulon f/5.6
Would that classify as old enough to have focus shift problems?

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Sludge Tank posted:

I have a Schneider Super Angulon f/5.6
Would that classify as old enough to have focus shift problems?

A super angulon shouldn't have an issue, I was talking about much older designs that barely cover 4x5. I still suspect the lens if it's the only one you have problems with.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Canopy, Stirling Road by alkanphel, on Flickr

Metal Drum, Stirling Road by alkanphel, on Flickr

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I live in a really beautiful neighborhood.

Greenpoint, Brooklyn by spikemccue, on Flickr

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Someone felt sorry enough for me to change my custom title.
The Mamiya 7 seems to be working well, rangefinder is accurate etc. Now to shoot some Portra!

10 shots is not very many though...

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Shoot 220

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

deaders posted:

The Mamiya 7 seems to be working well, rangefinder is accurate etc. Now to shoot some Portra!

What's the real scoop on the rangefinder needing adjustment? If you trust places outside of SA - it was literally designed by Hitler and needs to be sent in for adjustment every 6 months.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
Probably moving into Leica territory, where guys who shoot maybe one roll a year are obsessed with getting them CLA'd.

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

Helicity posted:

What's the real scoop on the rangefinder needing adjustment? If you trust places outside of SA - it was literally designed by Hitler and needs to be sent in for adjustment every 6 months.

Just adjust it yourself. I did it on my Mamiya 7 and loads of other cameras too. It's easy. (I got it very cheap coz it was dropped, chipped and out of alignment both horizontally and vertically)

Here's how:
1. At the back of the camera close to the viewfinder there is a round cutout, with a plastic plug in it. Gently pull the plastic plug out. Suction tubes work, or if you're feeling brash a screwdriver does the job too.

2. There's two screws in there, one is for horizontal (left right) and the other for vertical (up down) alignment. If I recall the harder-to-reach one is vertical alignment.

3. Mount your camera on a tripod. Open the back. Lock the shutter open in B, open up the lens the widest it will go. Put some ground glass on the film plane. Use a 4-8x loupe. Check VS finder. Adjust screws as needed.

3.1. Be sure you use something that's really "infinity" away, buildings which are 30-40m away may seem far but might not fall onto "full" infinity. Go with stuff at least a km (half a mile) or so away. The moon works great. As do distant radio antennas. Chose something with high contrast.

4. You're done. Do a quick sanity check vs the ground glass at 2 other distances. If everything looks alright you're done. I've put some of the weakest type(!) of loctite on both screws. They haven't drifted since I've done it 8 months ago, and I'm banging my camera around a lot.

Edit, for reference: Here's how mine looked. Yes, that's a gash I sealed with hot glue.
Stop being a baby. Use your camera. Cry cry cry about your $$$ "investment" elsewhere.

VomitOnLino fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Jan 6, 2015

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

Look, if you had one shot
or one opportunity
To seize everything you ever wanted
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

:siren:"THEIR":siren:

dear lady who pulled into a parking space, saw my 4x5 and tripod immediately beside it, and then pulled out and drove away

thank you

your sacrifice in the name of poo poo pictures is appreciated

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

VomitOnLino posted:

Edit, for reference: Here's how mine looked. Yes, that's a gash I sealed with hot glue.
Stop being a baby. Use your camera. Cry cry cry about your $$$ "investment" elsewhere.

Tis a beaut

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Helicity posted:

No idea, this one seems good and it had just been posted across the country. I hope that it doesn't need adjustment too often but right now the closer focused shots at f4 seem accurate, and the stuff at f16 that I scale focused is very sharp as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

VomitOnLino posted:

Just adjust it yourself. I did it on my Mamiya 7 and loads of other cameras too. It's easy. (I got it very cheap coz it was dropped, chipped and out of alignment both horizontally and vertically)

Here's how:
1. At the back of the camera close to the viewfinder there is a round cutout, with a plastic plug in it. Gently pull the plastic plug out. Suction tubes work, or if you're feeling brash a screwdriver does the job too.

2. There's two screws in there, one is for horizontal (left right) and the other for vertical (up down) alignment. If I recall the harder-to-reach one is vertical alignment.

3. Mount your camera on a tripod. Open the back. Lock the shutter open in B, open up the lens the widest it will go. Put some ground glass on the film plane. Use a 4-8x loupe. Check VS finder. Adjust screws as needed.

3.1. Be sure you use something that's really "infinity" away, buildings which are 30-40m away may seem far but might not fall onto "full" infinity. Go with stuff at least a km (half a mile) or so away. The moon works great. As do distant radio antennas. Chose something with high contrast.

4. You're done. Do a quick sanity check vs the ground glass at 2 other distances. If everything looks alright you're done. I've put some of the weakest type(!) of loctite on both screws. They haven't drifted since I've done it 8 months ago, and I'm banging my camera around a lot.

Good to know, thanks

• Locked thread