Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

nebby posted:

Holy poo poo thread.

That lot I said we got for a good non-insane deal? We were fortunate enough to have an inspector come by in order to determine the placement of the septic tank. Upon surveying the lot, due to drainage issues and regulations which were passed since the last time a home was built on the lot, the guy concluded the lot *is not buildable*. We were set to close on the 31st, and would have been stuck holding a lot that we could not have built a house on. Needless to say we are going to be trying to back out of the contract, I don't see it being a problem but we may need to go to remediation to get our deposit back. (Since the contract was no contingencies, but in this case this is out of bounds since the assumption is that this was buildable land.)

Do. Never. Buy.

Heh I went through something similar a long time ago, with the bonus of the seller not disclosing a ton of poo poo they were legally required to on a lovely shed that they built on the lot. Went to remediation, lost despite them breaking the law in like a dozen places because the guy was connected to the local power brokers in town then had to sue the fuckers for two years to get our deposit back. Good times, gently caress ownership.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Duct Tape posted:

It seems like any amount of "lowering the quote" should have been done before they gave it to me initially. A new roof on my house isn't really something I want to haggle over.
As someone who regularly purchases big ticket IT equipment, I make it a habit to always tell the seller that I want their best and final quote the first time. I don't want anything for free, I want them to make a fair amount of money without extracting unnecessary and unfair levels of profit from me. It's worked pretty well and I think all in all, they generally make a good offer on the first go around.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

nebby posted:

(Since the contract was no contingencies, but in this case this is out of bounds since the assumption is that this was buildable land.)

You sure about that? No contingencies usually means just that.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

In all fairness a contractor can reasonably lower an estimate in a non-bullshit way if you are willing to compromise on materials costs, e.g., install a cheaper roof. That's different from some kind of shady "oh poo poo they didn't buy our hilarious overpriced estimate" backpedaling.

Along the same lines, make sure that all your competing estimates are based on exactly the same quality of materials.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

SlapActionJackson posted:

It's a contract, not a sacred blood oath. Most contracts contain language suggesting that the seller must act in good faith, which they may not have been if they had known that the lot could not be built upon. Since they've apparently had other prospective buyers and the sellers got "a killer deal", its likely that the buyer new about the issues and acted in bad faith. Even if the seller tries to keep the deposit, it can be worth fighting

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Duct Tape posted:

Plus this company has done roofs for a couple of my neighbors, and they seem pleased with their new roofs.

This is what you're looking for.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

QuarkJets posted:

It's a contract, not a sacred blood oath. Most contracts contain language suggesting that the seller must act in good faith, which they may not have been if they had known that the lot could not be built upon. Since they've apparently had other prospective buyers and the sellers got "a killer deal", its likely that the buyer new about the issues and acted in bad faith. Even if the seller tries to keep the deposit, it can be worth fighting

Sure, if the sellers breached their contractual or statutory duties to the buyers, then the buyers can call the deal off and get the deposit back (or whatever remedy is specified in the contract). But if they didn't - and nebby's post doesn't seem to suggest they did, just that somehow this particular issue is "out of bounds" - then they may be well within their rights to keep the deposit when nebby backs out. My point is that if you want your land purchase to be predicated on the lot being buildable, you should write that as a contingency of the contract, so you don't have to search for an out that you can use and still keep your deposit. Still, it sucks for nebby and I hope things work out for him.

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Sure, if the sellers breached their contractual or statutory duties to the buyers, then the buyers can call the deal off and get the deposit back (or whatever remedy is specified in the contract). But if they didn't - and nebby's post doesn't seem to suggest they did, just that somehow this particular issue is "out of bounds" - then they may be well within their rights to keep the deposit when nebby backs out. My point is that if you want your land purchase to be predicated on the lot being buildable, you should write that as a contingency of the contract, so you don't have to search for an out that you can use and still keep your deposit. Still, it sucks for nebby and I hope things work out for him.

This is why you do $1 deposits, by the way.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Bloody Queef posted:

*Realtor looks aghast* but that doesn't show you're super serial about buying! You need to put down as much as you can to show you're serial! How about $22,000 down?

loving realtors.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Bloody Queef posted:

Yeah but seriously though, if your only contingency is "the lot must be buildable" and the sellers balk at that, you have all the info you need to flee the transaction before even providing that earnest money deposit.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

Bloody Queef posted:

You may or may not find sellers willing to accept $1 earnest money, especially if you are financing a mortgage. Diligence fee more likely but it depends upon the market.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

You may or may not find sellers willing to accept $1 earnest money, especially if you are financing a mortgage. Diligence fee more likely but it depends upon the market.

For the 250-350k range here in OH, 500 seems to do the trick. Enough to calm fears but still a drop in the bucket if things go south and you need to fight to get it back.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Leperflesh posted:

Yeah but seriously though, if your only contingency is "the lot must be buildable" and the sellers balk at that, you have all the info you need to flee the transaction before even providing that earnest money deposit.

This is a really good point. Hey nebby, did your realtor suggest the no-contingencies thing? They might be trying to gently caress you

Jan 11, 2004

dietcokefiend posted:

For the 250-350k range here in OH, 500 seems to do the trick. Enough to calm fears but still a drop in the bucket if things go south and you need to fight to get it back.

Yeah I just bought with $300 diligence and $2700 earnest deposit. Although the property was a little bit stale and the sellers were willing to move down a lot on price my realtor said it wasn't particularly low for deposit.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Dec 30, 2014

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Yeah, I think nebby may find himself in some litigation. Doing some googling, it looks like some vacant land contracts have requirements that the buyers be able to obtain a building permit. If nebby doesn't have one of those, he could be screwed.

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

dietcokefiend posted:

My tactic has always been to do a dollar, and if anyone balks, do "$250 or offer is canceled" it's always worked.

E: note anyone means seller. If your RE agent balks, fire them.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Spermy Smurf posted:

*Realtor looks aghast* but that doesn't show you're super serial about buying! You need to put down as much as you can to show you're serial! How about $22,000 down?

loving realtors.

If a buyer gave me a contract with a $1 deposit I'd tell them to go gently caress themselves, realtor or not.

Jan 11, 2004

FCKGW posted:

If a buyer gave me a contract with a $1 deposit I'd tell them to go gently caress themselves, realtor or not.

Even if a decent cash offer was attached, and say, your property had been listed six months? That could be an expensive point of pride to cling to.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
Ugh, went house hunting today. We saw a range of properties to see what the market looked like. The house for $340k had ceilings so low my husband's head touched the doorframes going from room to room. We found a super nice one for $560k, that's our upper end for sure. Tell me I'm ridiculous for even thinking about putting myself into another long mortgage. Even if I put half down, that's not a good idea. Right? Right?

sadus
Apr 5, 2004

What would be more annoying: buying a house out of state, or selling a house out of state? Should both be avoided if possible?

Moving to Denver before too long and probably should just rent a house short term so we can check out houses and realtors at a more leisurely pace, but the local housing market is a bit nuts[1]. Even rents are forecast to go up another 20% next year despite a ton of new apartments going up, although maybe that will free up some house rentals.

[1]

Blackjack2000
Mar 29, 2010

Even if a decent cash offer was attached, and say, your property had been listed six months? That could be an expensive point of pride to cling to.

WTH is the point of a $1 deposit? If you don't want to put up a deposit, don't put up a deposit. I seriously cannot understand the point of a $1 deposit other than to be snarky and obnoxious. Yeah, if I was desperate to sell, I suppose I'd sign the contract, but what does that mean?

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Blackjack2000 posted:

WTH is the point of a $1 deposit? If you don't want to put up a deposit, don't put up a deposit. I seriously cannot understand the point of a $1 deposit other than to be snarky and obnoxious. Yeah, if I was desperate to sell, I suppose I'd sign the contract, but what does that mean?
It's like paying a lawyer $1 before asking him for advice. By exchanging money, you have indicated a desire to buy and/or sell that will be evidence in court, much more so than spitting in your hand and shaking on it.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

I don't think the kind of person who puts down a $1 deposit is the same kind of person who's putting in a "decent" offer (if by decent you mean slightly above market rate)

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

No, maybe because it's unheard of in my area and would just come across as being very shady.

I mean, if you could just put in 6 of offers on houses for $1 deposit, tying the sellers up for weeks and then just walk halfway through once they find the one house they like at a cost of $5 I'm sure some rear end in a top hat out there would do it.

nebby
Dec 21, 2000
resident mog
Yeah there's a decent chance we'll have to go to the reconciliation process and a non-zero chance we'd lose the deposit. But all in all it's not a lot of money relative to the amount we're going to be spending on the house, so I don't care that much, but it certainly does blow that we can't build the house we wanted to.

Duct Tape
Sep 30, 2004

Huh?
If anyone champing at the bit for an update on my roof, I've got one.

Met with the original company again. They lowered their $35k quote down to $26k by saying everything will be "at cost" and they can't guarantee that price unless I signed within 24 hours :jerkbag:

I also got a quote from a third company who, like the second company, came in at $21k. However, they noticed a few thing about my roof that the other two companies either didn't see or didn't bring up with me. Like this spot where water is currently draining directly down the side of my chimney leaving a gross rear end black streak.

They also have 100 reviews on Angie's List, an A rating, and offer 12 month no-interest financing. Still need to read the fine-print on that financing deal, but for the moment I'm kind of leaning towards them.

Edit:

nebby posted:

Yeah there's a decent chance we'll have to go to the reconciliation process and a non-zero chance we'd lose the deposit. But all in all it's not a lot of money relative to the amount we're going to be spending on the house, so I don't care that much, but it certainly does blow that we can't build the house we wanted to.
Yeesh. Best of luck, but at least you know now that you can't build on it rather than finding out after you've finished the buying process.

Duct Tape fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Dec 31, 2014

Warpaint
Aug 14, 2004

Blood. Blood everywhere.
Just a reminder to not turn down owner's title insurance. Not even sure if you really can, but don't.

My house and 2 others next to it were built in 2007 and the builder went out of business, so it remained mostly finished for 3 years until an investor bought it in 2010 and finished it. Put in cabinets and carpet and appliances and things like that. They listed it in 2011 and it didn't sell until I bought it mid 2012. Last week I got a notice of a mechanic's lien against the property that wasn't discovered by 2 different title searches. It seems the builder never paid the concrete company that poured the driveway. Filed a claim with title insurance that settled and paid the attorney to release the lien with no further action needed on my part, but if I had passed on title insurance it would have been about 1900 out of my pocket to release the lien. I'm hoping that's the only thing that will come up like that.

That was a fun notice to receive on Christmas Eve. Do never buy (without title insurance).

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

FCKGW posted:

No, maybe because it's unheard of in my area and would just come across as being very shady.

I mean, if you could just put in 6 of offers on houses for $1 deposit, tying the sellers up for weeks and then just walk halfway through once they find the one house they like at a cost of $5 I'm sure some rear end in a top hat out there would do it.

Just because they only put down a $1 deposit doesn't mean you can't sue them for breach of contract. You can also be dick and counter them with an acceptance that you can cancel with 24 hours notice anytime before closing.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
A coworker is doing a refi. We work in finance, but not in mortgage lending.

The guy was sloppy. She had to lean on the guy often, when he would say something that didn't match the paperwork, or when his math wouldn't tie to the contracts, or he'd sneak in a new $250 fee.
In their last meeting, the guy threw his hands up and said "I think you'd be better served by using a different lender".

This guy was so bad he fired himself.

fruition
Feb 1, 2014

moana posted:

Ugh, went house hunting today. We saw a range of properties to see what the market looked like. The house for $340k had ceilings so low my husband's head touched the doorframes going from room to room. We found a super nice one for $560k, that's our upper end for sure. Tell me I'm ridiculous for even thinking about putting myself into another long mortgage. Even if I put half down, that's not a good idea. Right? Right?

Not sure what you've decided, and I don't know you personally, but judging from your normal FI/Fiscally Conservative posts I'd be surprised if you did this. Not that it's necessarily a bad decision by any means but I'm interested in what you decide. Must have been a beautiful house?

Madbullogna
Jul 23, 2009
Just a random rant......

I'm selling my house, and am having to bring money to the table, (which is a horrid story, but not really relevant to this rant). We are all set to close at 3pm my time at the title company, (just under 2 hours from now). My agent still does not have the HUD1 from the title company so that I know how much to get my cashier's check made out for when I swing by my bank on the way to the closing.

WTF.....

Blackjack2000
Mar 29, 2010

adorai posted:

It's like paying a lawyer $1 before asking him for advice. By exchanging money, you have indicated a desire to buy and/or sell that will be evidence in court, much more so than spitting in your hand and shaking on it.

You indicate your desire to buy/sell by signing or countersigning the purchase agreement, I don't understand how a nominal security deposit strengthens that document at all.

The point of a deposit, as I understand it, is to allow the sellers to recover some of their damages from taking the property off the market if the buyer backs out without needing to sue them in small claims court. It does not make the contract any more forceful. Anyone with actual legal training want to comment on this?

I've also never heard of paying a lawyer $1 for advice. When I talked to my RE lawyer for the first time, it was a free consultation, and he answered tons of specific questions that I had about NJ real estate law. Then, when I used him to purchase a house, I paid him a flat fee.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

fruition posted:

Not sure what you've decided, and I don't know you personally, but judging from your normal FI/Fiscally Conservative posts I'd be surprised if you did this. Not that it's necessarily a bad decision by any means but I'm interested in what you decide. Must have been a beautiful house?
https://www.redfin.com/CA/Boulder-Creek/651-Acorn-Dr-95006/home/2386448
Yeah, it was. I'm looking at it (2500 sq ft, much bigger than I originally wanted) thinking:
- Perfect location, end of the street backing up to a watershed so tons of nature for our future kids to play in, neighbors not too close.
- We'll grow into the space and would likely be able to rent out part of the house for income before then.
- The mortgage I'm paying now on a 15 year would be equal to this mortgage as a 30-year, if we stay here it's totally worth it at current interest rates
- GODDAMMIT MOANA STOP TRYING TO CONVINCE YOURSELF TO PUT AN OFFER ON ANOTHER drat HOUSE

I bought my last house for $360k and fixed it all up, I'd like to be able to do that again but there aren't a ton of fixer-uppers around here that wouldn't require a permit for additional square footage (which I hear is just about impossible in this county).

moana
Jun 18, 2005

But also it's not perfect, like WTF is up with the floorboards switching direction in the front room, also there aren't showers in the tubs. And two stoves, who the gently caress needs two stoves? not me. ARGHGHGHHGH Still, 1994 construction. God, I'm so torn.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

adorai posted:

Submitting a purchase contract is indicating a desire to buy, the buyer doesn't need to staple $1 to it. That sounds like some freeman-on-the-land legal bullshit made up by people who don't know any better

Jan 11, 2004

Blackjack2000 posted:

You indicate your desire to buy/sell by signing or countersigning the purchase agreement, I don't understand how a nominal security deposit strengthens that document at all.

The point of a deposit, as I understand it, is to allow the sellers to recover some of their damages from taking the property off the market if the buyer backs out without needing to sue them in small claims court. It does not make the contract any more forceful. Anyone with actual legal training want to comment on this?

I've also never heard of paying a lawyer $1 for advice. When I talked to my RE lawyer for the first time, it was a free consultation, and he answered tons of specific questions that I had about NJ real estate law. Then, when I used him to purchase a house, I paid him a flat fee.

$1 is a common token amount in all sorts of contracts to indicate a concrete although nominal consideration in the common law sense of the term. See: CEO salaries, licensing agreements, etc. I'm not a legal scholar or barred attorney to offer an opinion on whether that is actually helpful when put to test in modern contract law but it's not the same thing as tipping a server a penny or an intentionally insulting gesture.

You are correct that the purpose of a deposit is to compensate the seller for opportunity cost should the sale fall through, to disincentivize the buyer from entering multiple contracts simultaneously, and to incentivize the buyer to slog through the often onerous process of financing. Thus, the negotiatiability of the deposit depends upon a lot of factors. The more desperate a position the seller finds herself in (long listing, high inventory, problem property) and the more attractive the buyer's offer (fair price, short closing time, few contingencies, cash offer with proof of balance), the more likely a seller is to forgo a meaningful deposit.

Jimmy James
Oct 1, 2004
The man so nice they named him twice.

God I love redwoods. I wish I still lived on the CA coast. I'd see a house like that and think, "Under what circumstances would I actually regret living here?" And there'd be almost no answer outside of complete financial ruin. It's set well, and the fact that it backs up to the watershed is killer. It does look very 90s, and there's some wacky stuff going on in a few places. That 90s kitchen style is one I could actually work with by making a few changes, and I would have to rip the whole thing out.

anne frank fanfic
Oct 31, 2005

nebby posted:

Youve been burned twice trying to find a steal in california. How about you stop trying to find cheap land in san francisco you retard

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

moana posted:

But also it's not perfect

I thought it looked pretty nice, until I realized the master bathroom doesn't allow for private pooping. Don't do it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swenblack
Jan 14, 2004

Warpaint posted:

Just a reminder to not turn down owner's title insurance. Not even sure if you really can, but don't.

My house and 2 others next to it were built in 2007 and the builder went out of business, so it remained mostly finished for 3 years until an investor bought it in 2010 and finished it. Put in cabinets and carpet and appliances and things like that. They listed it in 2011 and it didn't sell until I bought it mid 2012. Last week I got a notice of a mechanic's lien against the property that wasn't discovered by 2 different title searches. It seems the builder never paid the concrete company that poured the driveway. Filed a claim with title insurance that settled and paid the attorney to release the lien with no further action needed on my part, but if I had passed on title insurance it would have been about 1900 out of my pocket to release the lien. I'm hoping that's the only thing that will come up like that.

That was a fun notice to receive on Christmas Eve. Do never buy (without title insurance).
"Always turn down owner's title insurance." At least that's what my dad (a retired real estate attorney) told me. He had never heard of a successful claim against it in his entire career. That, coupled with the depth that most lenders go in their title searches, means that the likelihood of an undiscovered title defect is spectacularly low. And if they discover anything, they'll put in a contingency that you fix it or they won't loan you the money to buy the home. Out of curiosity, how much was your title insurance premium?