Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

krushgroove posted:

Great stuff! I forgot to mention on Christmas Day that you goons have until New Year's Day to finish your Oaths, so get crackin' on if you haven't already!

So until midnight 1/1/15?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Pyrolocutus posted:

I would have assumed that by 'until New Year's Day' he meant 11:59:59 PM on New Year's Eve. In American Samoa, of course.

Vermintide
Oct 26, 2013

Looks like an Oath Failed for me this month. Apparently I wanted to do everything BUT paint!

Gonna slave it out!

Vermintide fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Dec 30, 2014

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Vermintide posted:

Looks like an Oath Failed for me this month. Apparently I wanted to do everything BUT paint!

Psh, you got 2 days! That's PLENTY of time to go without sleep and slave over tiny plastic things for nebulous prizes!

Deanut Pancer
Nov 24, 2012
Oath complete!

Jurnal is the wet mud in one crater, and the soot weathering in the others

Vermintide
Oct 26, 2013

Slimnoid posted:

Psh, you got 2 days! That's PLENTY of time to go without sleep and slave over tiny plastic things for nebulous prizes!

Hm that's right, I do have two. For some reason in my sleep deprived state I thought Dec only had 30 days. I guess I'll retract this and see what I can do in 2 days!

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

:tfrxmas: OATH COMPLETE :tfrxmas:

A whole day early! Planning to drink heavily on NYE is good incentive to get things done. Brace yourselves

First up, the Firestorm

Also no need to put this shuriken catapult in the album, I can't find the metal plates I use to magnetise the vehicle guns, so it doesn't stay on the tank. Despite that the painting is done, I just forgot to sit it next to the tank in the main photo. Proof of completion etc

Next up is the Rebs strike team, for which I am claiming Inquisitors Journal for all the dust and rust on their bases, and themed group as they all have a dark green plate/sleeve/shoulder/coat/drum signifying that they are the Wirrawee Irregulars

Minitaire ghost tints are really neat :buddy:

This is Oberon, and for him I am claiming Box Art

I can't find him in the Mantic store atm and I don't know why, but this is him in the studio paint scheme from the promotional images in the Kickstarter, update #114 linked from the official Mantic Blog

Finally the French and Belgian tanks

A productive December! Happy New Year oathers! :toot:

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING
:woop: OATH COMPLETE :woop:

As these guys are the first thing I've painted in something like 14 years, I'm fairly happy with how they turned out. I can certainly see things I need to work on and practice at and will probably revisit these later when I can look at them with fresh eyes. I wasn't at all sure where I was going with these when I started and was very much trying to figure things out as I went so hopefully my next units will benefit from the experience!

I'm claiming a couple of achievements for these:

Season 5iver!

Parts list
Base coated with Army Painter Matt White spray.
Metal areas painted with Game Color Tinny Tin then dry brushed with Game Color Bright Bronze.
Grey panels are painted with Game Color Stonewall Grey and highlighted with Army Painter Matt White.
Blue panels are Citadel Shadow Grey highlighted with Game Color Electric Blue.
The lights were all done with Army Painter Greenskin or Pure Red mixed with Matt White.
Finally I gave everything a coat of Vallejo Matt Acrylic Varnish.

Ugleb fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Dec 30, 2014

Red Shoe
Apr 16, 2005

Brogies in arms!
Oath complete!

Kaelly and Captain R

Rangers

Stingers

Protector

Thagrosh

Maximus

And finally, too large to be photographed properly: The Earthbreaker (jurnal entry)

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER
Oath complete!

The journal is darkened barrel of the meltagun and the grimy sides of the Predator, both which are a lot subtler in photo than in real life. I thought it would have turned out the other way around.

I'm curious about what I'm going to paint next month. Right now the temperature is somewhere around 4 degrees celcius, but on monday it was close to -20 degrees, which is not a temperature to get anything primed.

counterspin
Apr 2, 2010

OATH COMPLETE

lovestick
Feb 11, 2006

~30303030303~

Oath Complete!

First up is the Grey Knight.

Next are my wall sections. I tried to do the theme on these guys because I knew that a perfectly smooth MDF wall wouldn't be very fitting, so I started by adding some texture paint to the walls, gave it a kind of grubby and patchy paint job, and then broke out some of the exposed brick sections so they can become more worn down as the battle progresses! So I tried to make them not only look weathered before the fight starts, but they can get blown up as fall apart as they get shot at in the game.

This was really fun to paint some MDF terrain and I am going to have to try it again soon!

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Mr. Helsbecter will you please stop shooting I am on the phone

My oath is Failed

Too much going on this month, never got beyond basecoating my mans. It's a shame, but I'll always have an alternate universe candidate.

Next month's oath will be much more modest.

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.
Oath Complete!

Journal
I tried some different ways of weathering thee juggernaut. First I tried some weathering sticks. I liked them but not the colors I had, as none matched my basing. Then I tried scratches but it just looked messy. Finally I busted out my 'GW Ryza Rust" and stippled/drybrushed it and I was quite happy. Reminds me of PaintVagrant level orange-blue contrasting. Just enough to make the metal pop from the blue but not so much it is all nurgled up.

Slight effect on the front blade, contrast probably makes it hard to see.

It was a lot of work trying to do multiple coats of this Urza Grey and on a model like this. I'm sure there are plenty of spots that needed another go, but when you're a lazy scrub like myself looking at the model with human eyes it's hard to tell. Also, that one part of my brain that is so stoked at the results of what bits look good distract my focus away from the part that nitpicks. That's another reason why I miss you being in arms reach MSP, you would crush my dreams as you pushed me further. I hated you for hours like a pouting child but you made me a better painter person. Brother/Roomate 'hams are a sweet thing everyone, if you have one in your life take the time to appreciate them. But seriously MSP, don't critique this guy, I will hate you.

[edit] Bolded the part about Journal.

WhiteOutMouse fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Jan 1, 2015

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

Oath Complete!

Tohaa Themed Group:

PanOceania Themed Group:

Malifaux Themed Group:

Including my Journal for this month, the weathering on the ghostly corpses in Jakuuna Ubuume's wake. It was a great tragedy, but most of the way through the water base, I managed to knock a drop of brown ink into the wet water, turning the laboriously constructed illusion of depth into mud.

Ledgem
Oct 20, 2010
OATH COMPLETE

Jurnal

That archstone that dragon is sitting on has been scorched to oblivion, as have the rocks and skulls that sit by it. The snow around it has even melted! Or maybe that's the dragon's body heat.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Pyrolocutus posted:

JerryLee posted:

I would have assumed that by 'until New Year's Day' he meant 11:59:59 PM on New Year's Eve. In American Samoa, of course.

Yes! Since it's just past the New Year, just under 9 hours are left to complete your Oaths!

ForkBanger
Jul 19, 2007

:siren:Oath Complete:siren:

2 Guild Guardsmen.

2 Guild Lawyers.

Lucius and the Scribe.

LaikatheSpaceDog
May 1, 2014

Oath Complete!

First we have Svetlana the Frost Giant Princess from Bones. I sculpted the base myself, though.

Next we have this Ogryn with a pompadour... He has a pompadour due to last month's hairy oath, but I was too much of a nitwit to remember to oath him last month.

He's looking in a mirror.

That I painted by hand...

...and is removable!

In case you were wondering, Army Painter spray primes Bones plastic BEAUTIFULLY. Dries fast, no tackiness.

I'm claiming only the JURNAL this month, in the form of the Ogryn's sweaty tanktop and the nasty, dirt-encrusted bathroom he's standing in.

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

Oath Complete

Crappy job on the plane, shapeways stuff sucks up paint like a sponge. No Jurnal this month.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Oath complete!

Both my Cygnar army and most of my Malifaux stuff are based in a "city wracked by conflict" theme, so plenty of brick and mud (for which I am claiming Jurnal). Ototo stuns and slows his surrounding opponents with a mighty blow upon the ground that sends bricks flying, while the Thunderhead smashes through a brick wall to get at its enemies.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Banging with all due hardness.
Oath Complete!
Fu Ni Hao and two Shadows

Two Winterguard Infantry

No Jurnal even though the lovely drybrush looks like snowfall on some of these guys.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Pyrolocutus posted:

Oath complete!

I told you this already but I really dig how the bricks worked out here--it really sells the impression of poo poo going flying, about as well as you could have without trying to gently caress around with wire armatures or something.

Android
Apr 20, 2012

Beep Boop Zorp
Oath Complete

Jurnal is the rusty mine cart rails on two of the heroes bases. These are also a Themed group if that's still a thing.

I also added some angry eyebrows to one of the the tentacles because if I'm going to have tentacles they might as well be Day of the Tentacle tentacles.

Vermintide
Oct 26, 2013

Oath complete!

The journal is all the rust and corrosion and grime on the big guy. Also grabbing themed group as well for the gutter runners if I haven't already.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Oath Complete

Backstory: Somewhere in Segmentum Ultima, located between (and near) the Tau Empire and the Fringe, is a forgotten patch of stars once indexed as Kiefer's Drift. Of course, like many of the unvisited (well, not since the Great Crusade) places inside the Imperium, Kiefer has several inhabited systems, including human civilizations. Kiefer's Rift is also the place were Prodigal Sons are continuing their quest to bring back a hundred planets to the Imperium. Scarcity of recruits or contact with Forgeworlds mean that the chapter operates in small warbands that are filled with veterans and usually self sufficient.

It's my official explanation why I'll be using a Deathwatch Kill Team painted orange and representing the Sons

The world of Systernus lies straight in their path. The Sons are tired, weary and beaten, while Systernus is a populous planet with sophisticated manufacturing capabilities. It's time to settle down and establish a base of operations and training. But the depleted chapter can't wage an outright war, so a small warband let by a librarian makes planetfall to convert local forces. Their place of choice? The Red Waste and their numerous if isolated Red Waste Sentries...

My guys represent a Kill Team of Imperial Guardsmen (using Heralds of Ruin rules). They will be led by a Commissar (a.k.a. January oath), but today, I have "completed" the veteran section of RWS that has converted to the cause of the Space Marines.

Excuse the potato quality.

These are Camo cloak, sniper rifle Veterans!

And these are plasma gun carapace Veterans! One of these guys already had his chest and leg "plates" "painted" when I oathed them, so only 4 of them count.

Ghetto plasma gun out of half a flamer, hilt of a Bauhaus Ducal Militia Really Stupid Looking Gun, some Tamiya Epoxy Putty, and two armor plates from Bauhaus Ducal Militia Sergeant. I have no clue what's their use on the official model.

Hasegawa Stuart converted to be a Desert Personal Patrol Vehicle. It's either an Autocanon team or an AC sentinel, depends on how the mood strikes. I probably like him the most.

All the dudes (sans Commissar Unpainted) together! Can I claim Themed Group?

Parts: Here are the paint I used. The bottle of white down there covers up Tamiya Hull Red, which was used for brown coloring. GW Kantor Blue is off screen, but it helped.

Parts used in making this:

Target Games' Warzone: Mutant Chronicles Bauhaus Ducal Militia and Imperial Army Regulars. They are a bitch to clean, assemble and paint, and are lovely for conversion due to their more realistic nature: GW and most heroic heads look HUGE on them. Plus, general lovely quality. But $30 for 80 seemed a good idea I bought them, I thought I'd play Lost and Damned and these will be cheap bodies to bulk it out... or maybe used as IG. Dropped the idea after the newest Guard Codex and newest editions of rulebook. gently caress 6.5 and 7.

The heads are Pig Iron Heavy Trooper Alternate Heads. Pig Iron got them to Japan in three days, I nearly poo poo myself how fast that was. Not a fan of painting metals, but they don't need that much cleaning, and likely much easier to paint if you're not retarded.

The guns are mostly the one's that come with miniatures... Well, no, basically everyone (except for three dudes) got the Imperial Army Regular guns, because whoever designed Bauhaus rifles is retarded (they do work as shotguns once you cut them up, tho). The sniper rifle is a converted lasgun that uses a bit from the Hasegawa Stuart as the barrel, and the bipod is made from two carrying handles cut off from Ducal rifles. I already mentioned the unfortunate plasma.

The capes and the "armor" are Tamiya Epoxy Putty and marks the first time I used it. I tried to do splinter camo on them (as outlined in Flames Of War: That Book About Basically The End Of The War For Germans And Soviets), and failed.

The DPPV is a Hasegawa Stuart tank. Hasegawa models are poo poo. Flash everywhere, some parts don't really fit, generally small and lovely, and the tracks are these rickety pieces of rubber. Didn't feel any remorse while cutting it up. The "conversion" also uses the Catachan driver head, the body of an Imperial Army Regular, and the heavy stubber from the Chimera. The paintjob is a ghetto version of Mars Pattern Camo or something.

Used Stirland Mud for, well, mud, then painted it Khorne Red then "drybrushed" Evil Sunz Scarlet. Can I claim Journal for the mud?

Copious amounts of random crap, mainly plastic bread bag pins/vices/whatever keeps them closed were used.

Highlighting, dry brushing, blending - all these and more techniques are still a mystery to me.

Next month, I'll do actual good miniatures with zero conversion work, so it will probably be easier for me, and more heartbreaking for you.

You can post this stuff in the Unspiration thread. It will break my heart, but you learn through pain

Galaspar
Aug 20, 2006
Will reign this way again
Oath Complete

Weathering Jurnal
There's some weathering on each of these guys, but most notably one the Nurgle trooper on the left, who is absolutely filthy.

FROOOOOOOOG
Jan 28, 2009
OATH COMPLETE

I did the beardy Jurnal on Mr Dwarf but I don't quite think this counts for Box Art or Themed Group.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

LaikatheSpaceDog posted:

Who's that Ogryn in the mirror?
There are some kickass oaths on this page, but I absolutely love this guy.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

Pyrolocutus posted:

Oath complete!

Both my Cygnar army and most of my Malifaux stuff are based in a "city wracked by conflict" theme, so plenty of brick and mud (for which I am claiming Jurnal). Ototo stuns and slows his surrounding opponents with a mighty blow upon the ground that sends bricks flying, while the Thunderhead smashes through a brick wall to get at its enemies.

Out of interest, how did you make the bricks?

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

Ugleb posted:

Out of interest, how did you make the bricks?

They're actually a commercial product, Red Bricks (small) from Pegasus Hobbies: http://pegasushobbies.net/catalog/p112/%235199-Red-Bricks-%28Small%29/product_info.html

You get a ton for 8 bucks and they've served me well.

gilljoy
May 3, 2009
So when can I start Oathing stuff for 2015? Want to try and stick to it this time around.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

This is the best Ogryn. Making himself ready for a night on the town, pumpin himself up to score with the laydees!

gilljoy posted:

So when can I start Oathing stuff for 2015? Want to try and stick to it this time around.

Pretty sure you can start oathing now, just you may want to hold something back for the Jurnal when it's posted.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
The oath threads are annual, but the oathing year is not the calendar year; January is just another month. This year started in May.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
+ Reporting from the Inquisition ship Harangue +

FWOOSH!!

+ Clean yourself up, ork + my ship is no place for your fetid excretions and swamp muck +

yeh yeh, oi'll just use dis old towel, yeh?

+ Of course, help yours- ACK NO, not that you fool! +

well make your mind up, wotz you want me ta do?

+ That is my Inquisitional banner you malodorous cretin! +

soz...

This month's theme, AKA the INQUISITOR'S JOURNAL, is FREEHAND! Put a tatoo on your miniature's face or arm! Paint up a warband banner! Put a name on your tank! Put numbers on a shoulder pad! Add some arrows to a...thing you're painting! There's plenty of scope in this Journal, so you can keep it simple or go completely insane!

Completing the Inquisitor's Journal gives you an easy point, so if you want to be in the running for Grand Prizes at the end of Season 5, you'll be wanting every point you can get! Even if you don't care about points, many of the Journals will get you to try painting techniques you may not have tried before, so go for it!

ALSO, the judges will each be deciding who's done the Journal in the most unique and creative way and EACH judge will be giving a point for their top pick, so that's a potential 3 extra points just waiting for you!

krushgroove fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Jan 3, 2015

JcDent
May 13, 2013

I, JcDent, oath one Commissar Yarrick and One Company Champion, from Games Workshop!

Iris of Ether
Sep 29, 2005

Valkyrie is not amused
:siren: Hey December pledgers! :siren:

Please make sure that I've got your entry correct on the December 2014 tab. I'd like to roll for December prizes before I return to work at the end of the week.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AhbAQSD-C_25dFcwTGtXeWJpNG9Ob18yclJKYUhQMkE&usp=drive_web&pli=1#gid=23

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Iris of Ether posted:

:siren: Hey December pledgers! :siren:

Please make sure that I've got your entry correct on the December 2014 tab. I'd like to roll for December prizes before I return to work at the end of the week.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AhbAQSD-C_25dFcwTGtXeWJpNG9Ob18yclJKYUhQMkE&usp=drive_web&pli=1#gid=23

I think I was okayed for 4 of the 5 "armored" soldiers (one of them had had his "armor" painted already), but I'm not gonna fight ya for it.

Iris of Ether
Sep 29, 2005

Valkyrie is not amused

JcDent posted:

I think I was okayed for 4 of the 5 "armored" soldiers (one of them had had his "armor" painted already), but I'm not gonna fight ya for it.

Ah, okay, yeah. Well, given that 5 pieces (4 men and a truck) still qualifies as a themed group, it doesn't really impact much anyway. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

I, Pyrolocutus, oath the following:

1) On the left, bare grey, a Tactical Space Marine with plasma cannon, from Games Workshop
2) In the middle, primered white, a Warmachine Cygnar model, Captain Arlan Strangewayes, from Privateer Press
3) On the right, primered white, a Warmachine Mercenaries model, Rhupert Carvolo, from Privateer Press

Rhupert has his base arc marked out for a tournament I played him in, but is otherwise unpainted.

Sorry for the flash, it's the only way I can get a decent picture of both the screen and the models :smith:

• Locked thread