Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
All those terms could also be the standard offer each side gives so they don't start a negotiation from a weak position. It could be entirely normal. We'd need similar context from other negotiations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
The fact that they're trying to wring concessions out of this poo poo is hilarious as hell and shows they're loving children. It really doesn't matter what they approach the table with.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Lemming posted:

All those terms could also be the standard offer each side gives so they don't start a negotiation from a weak position. It could be entirely normal. We'd need similar context from other negotiations.

The fact that they haven't had a contract in over 4 years really isn't helping matters.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Kitfox88 posted:

The fact that they're trying to wring concessions out of this poo poo is hilarious as hell and shows they're loving children. It really doesn't matter what they approach the table with.
This is just part of a multi-year contract dispute that predates de Blasio's election. Nothing the PBA has done is anything other than standard and they'd be idiots not to use everything they can against management in a labor dispute.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

It's really loving weird that they're basically half-assing their jobs in protest. In government, any organization actively demonstrating that they aren't essential is suicidal.

Similarly, belts can only be tightened. Suppose I can pave a road with eight workers, but the job routinely takes a dozen. I'm probably not getting twelve workers for the next road I pave.

Actively showing NYC that it can make do with sandbagging cops only suggests that NYC has too many cops when they are trying.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

moths posted:

It's really loving weird that they're basically half-assing their jobs in protest. In government, any organization actively demonstrating that they aren't essential is suicidal.

Similarly, belts can only be tightened. Suppose I can pave a road with eight workers, but the job routinely takes a dozen. I'm probably not getting twelve workers for the next road I pave.

Actively showing NYC that it can make do with sandbagging cops only suggests that NYC has too many cops when they are trying.

There's been some speculation that this isn't targeted at generating citizen pressure on the mayor's office (i.e., people saying "Oh God, where are the police?") but much more direct pressure by basically narrowing revenue streams.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

moths posted:

I wonder if any of them will be out tonight in plainclothes trying to make their jobs look a little more essential.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

moths posted:

They're doing their jobs for the most visible parts, but they're cutting off revenues that the City will need so they can put the screws in the Mayors office in the place where it really counts. :ssh:

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

ayn rand hand job posted:

They're doing their jobs for the most visible parts, but they're cutting off revenues that the City will need so they can put the screws in the Mayors office in the place where it really counts. :ssh:

Making revenue gain through law enforcement part of their budget was a mistake in the first place. Clearly you can save the money they brought in by reducing the police force and I hope it's very much on the table for the mayor. Can the union resist terminations that are done as cost reducing measures?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

It seems like the revenue crunch has potential to backfire unless each cop is averaging $90k in fines annually. Plus all the increases they're asking for. From a budget standpoint, it might just be better to let them go anyway.

E: clarity

moths fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Dec 31, 2014

Your Weird Uncle
Jan 16, 2006
Boneless Rusto Thrash.

SedanChair posted:

I wonder if any of them will be out tonight in plainclothes trying to make their jobs look a little more essential.

i'm going to an illegal rave in soho, i'll report back in the morning

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

The Warszawa posted:

There's been some speculation that this isn't targeted at generating citizen pressure on the mayor's office (i.e., people saying "Oh God, where are the police?") but much more direct pressure by basically narrowing revenue streams.
Given that broken window enforcement is often targeted at the poorest, most vulnerable communities in the first place, I'm very okay with them not squeezing blood from stones. They'll recoup the money in correspondingly lessened costs to their social welfare programs.

Cichlid the Loach
Oct 22, 2006

Brave heart, Doctor.
So basically they're going on strike but still collecting their paychecks.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Bet the people of NYC are liking not having to worry about traffic tickets.

Your Weird Uncle
Jan 16, 2006
Boneless Rusto Thrash.
if anything, the police presence going down has put me more at ease than i've been lately. not having to ride through the still roadblocked scene of that shooting on my way home from work and getting lovely looks from cops with ar-15's outside of the 79th precinct two blocks from my apartment has increased my quality of life for sure. i've lived in several cities and have had several encounters with police in all of them, but the NYPD are head and shoulders above SFPD and PPD in terms of tough-guy lovely bully attitudes and us vs. them mentality.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

That's an understandable sentiment. I'd be extremely ill-at-ease if people who lose their poo poo when you raise your hands in mock protest were carrying guns around me. More-so if I knew they could kill me with virtually no consequence.

Your Weird Uncle
Jan 16, 2006
Boneless Rusto Thrash.
also, their attitude totally contrasts with the fact that new york is the safest city i've lived in ever. it's honestly like they believe they're all in taxi driver/warriors era new york but without the corresponding crime they have nothing to do but act like hardened beat cop toughguys to kids walking to the deli to buy candy.

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

Your Weird Uncle posted:

also, their attitude totally contrasts with the fact that new york is the safest city i've lived in ever. it's honestly like they believe they're all in taxi driver/warriors era new york but without the corresponding crime they have nothing to do but act like hardened beat cop toughguys to kids walking to the deli to buy candy.

When people stop being criminals and your revenue streams dry up you gotta make criminals some how. Remember there's an entire prison system at stake, not just municipal budgets!

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Someone needs to do a study and determine if there would any significant damage to the economy if crimes stopped occurring.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Supply side justice.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Misogynist posted:

Is this a good time to bring up how much more likely Americans are to be killed domestically by police officers than terrorists?

Well, even in states with active revolutionaries (i.e., Colombia) you're more likely to get killed by police.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Happy New Year!

Yeah, I know it wasn't on the thirty-first

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

ComradeCosmobot posted:

NYPD isn't striking though.

Refusing to do your job until demands are met is striking as far as I'm concerned.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

ActusRhesus posted:

Refusing to do your job until demands are met is striking as far as I'm concerned.

I don't know, getting paid to not do your job sounds pretty awesome.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

ActusRhesus posted:

That's interesting, normally you seem really into the legal definition of things.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Evil Sagan posted:

Someone needs to do a study and determine if there would any significant damage to the economy if crimes stopped occurring.

So we need a recognized thieves guild?

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Rogue operating systems on occasion spread lies and rumors about me.

The Warszawa posted:

Any trend away from viewing criminal (or pseudo-criminal civil violation) sanctions as a revenue stream, I would view as a good thing.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

SedanChair posted:

That's interesting, normally you seem really into the legal definition of things.

It's called a slowdown. It's a form of illegal strike.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

ActusRhesus posted:

It's called a slowdown. It's a form of illegal strike.

I wonder if de Blasio will actually push to enforce the Taylor Law against the slowdown.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

ThirdPartyView posted:

I wonder if de Blasio will actually push to enforce the Taylor Law against the slowdown.

He should. You're a public servant. You don't get to just stop doing your job. I understand why the mayor's words angered them but they are acting worse than my toddler when I tell her it's nap time.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Oh, and agreed that law enforcement as a revenue stream is lovely.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

ThirdPartyView posted:

I'm honestly curious how he'd do this though since the people normally called in for this sort of job are the ones doing their best to get paid while on strike. Call in the national guard for police-union busting like we're in the worst days of industrialization? Be an interesting scene and one I'd be laughing my rear end off about since by all accounts the NYPD deserve to have their egos bruised.

Of course what I'm really hoping for is for is the non-violent result where the NYPD look like giant, collective fools when the entire city realizes this whole minimal policing thing is rather nice and has made the city a nicer, safer place.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

ActusRhesus posted:

He should. You're a public servant. You don't get to just stop doing your job. I understand why the mayor's words angered them but they are acting worse than my toddler when I tell her it's nap time.

I understand why the mayor's words angered them and the reason they think they have to be angry is part of the problem, not in any way a justification for their behaviour.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Orange Devil posted:

I understand why the mayor's words angered them and the reason they think they have to be angry is part of the problem, not in any way a justification for their behaviour.

Right. Appropriate response: "we of the NYPD recognize that racial relations in America are a complex issue that warrants continued vigilance and our role as protectors of the community is greatly diminished when the communities we serve see us as oppressors, not guardians. The mayor's words sadden us, as they send a message that we feel is both an inaccurate portrayal of our organization, and further divides a community that we wish to see united. We will however, continue to protect and serve, and hope the mayor will refrain from such comments in the future."

Inappropriate response: pretty much everything they are doing.

They needed to take the high road on this. They failed.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

ActusRhesus posted:

Inappropriate response: pretty much everything they are doing.

They needed to take the high road on this. They failed.

Why would they take the high road? What in their history gives even the hint that they are capable of it, or that they are anything other than a private army unaccountable to anything or anyone?

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

SedanChair posted:

Why would they take the high road? What in their history gives even the hint that they are capable of it, or that they are anything other than a private army unaccountable to anything or anyone?

The commissioner de Blasio hired significantly improved community relations in the LAPD. One would hope that would translate into his new job, but apparently the LAPD union wasn't balls out insane.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
BTW, since it's been brought up, what actually happens when the police mutiny against the local government? I mean, I absolutely don't expect something like that to happen, the NYPD are not that stupid, but what happens if local cops try to arrest an elected official on charges that they clearly made up or pull some sort of local coup d'etat? What is the next step in cases like that?

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

BTW, since it's been brought up, what actually happens when the police mutiny against the local government? I mean, I absolutely don't expect something like that to happen, the NYPD are not that stupid, but what happens if local cops try to arrest an elected official on charges that they clearly made up or pull some sort of local coup d'etat? What is the next step in cases like that?

National Guard I'm pretty sure. I mean, it might be delayed over negotiations and people trying to wrap their heads over how bonkers the situation's gotten that the police are arresting their legitimately elected public officials for "not giving us a raise". But when poo poo gets that bad it's more or less the tradition to send the National Guard in.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Alkydere posted:

National Guard I'm pretty sure. I mean, it might be delayed over negotiations and people trying to wrap their heads over how bonkers the situation's gotten that the police are arresting their legitimately elected public officials for "not giving us a raise". But when poo poo gets that bad it's more or less the tradition to send the National Guard in.

Isn't that Presidential candidate Governor Cuomo's responsibility? Would he do that and risk blowback on a presidential bid? Wouldn't he have a good chance of siding with the police and calling for De Blasio's ouster? He certainly was willing to throw the Working Families Party under the bus, and there seems to be enough evidence to suggest that he doesn't exactly like De Blasio (c.f. charter schools)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Isn't that Presidential candidate Governor Cuomo's responsibility? Would he do that and risk blowback on a presidential bid? Wouldn't he have a good chance of siding with the police and calling for De Blasio's ouster? He certainly was willing to throw the Working Families Party under the bus, and there seems to be enough evidence to suggest that he doesn't exactly like De Blasio (c.f. charter schools)

There's a point where the system has to (hopefully) stamp down on the insanity lest the entire machine starts falling apart. I'm pretty sure that in Radish's hypothetical situation is past that point by a wide margin.

Basically, ask yourself: what (not tea party/nutjob) elected official wants to create the precedent where it's totally okay for the police to extra-legally declare any elected official's office and term is null and void because "we don't like you"? After all, if they can oust the mayor of one of the nation's most powerful cities, why can't they eventually do it to officials at a county, state, or even federal level? That presidential seat doesn't look so secure when you've just said that in the future the D.C. police can stage a raid on the White House, kidnap the president and say "Nuh-Uh, we don't like this guy. Elect/appoint a new one who gives us more kick-backs." That's the kind of precedent Cuomo would risk creating in the public eye/tradition.

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jan 1, 2015

• Locked thread